Official Kamloops Training Camp Thread 2018

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hambone is a very astute observer as are others here who get to the Lions TCs each season.

When I dropped by the Lions Surrey facility on the last day of the camp there in April I was impressed by how Jarius had 3 QBs all throwing simultaneously as receivers and backs were running routes. Two QBs took the wide side, and the third QB over the middle.

It was designed to give max reps for both pass catching Wide outs, Slot backs and running backs as well as QBs. Impressed me as it was a lot of activity simultaneously.

Farhan L and Matthew Sciannati suggesting that the two QBs under the gun are Jennings and Collaros as both are unknowns as to what kind of season they'll have. I feel for both of these guys as it's make it or break it for these two still young QBs. Lulay (some weeks away) and Brandon Bridge both able to take over but Lulay suspect body from an injury perspective and Brandon Bridge better in relief where he replaced last years starter Kevin Glenn and gave defences a different look and skill set.

The season will be very tough as QBs in Calgary, Edmtn, Winnipeg are likely to be in top form and if Riders get the QBing results they had last year with Glenn and Bridge it's going to be tough getting west wins and you can't play Montreal every week.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Dusty wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 8:37 am
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 2:41 am

Not much to report as can be expected in a non contact session where the offence and defence kept seperate. Other

Thanks for the report, Hambone. I hope Foucault can be productive this year. He faces a double task. Learning the CFL game, as a tackle. And now as a guard.

One hopes Godber can transition to the pro game quickly. He might be pretty much pro ready.
It seems that most of our Nat O-line come from college in a pro-ready state for their first year. Its after they get coached into the subtleties of their position that they lose their effectiveness and start to degrade. The timing may be good for this years crop of OL draft picks to have a longer lifespan in terms of effectiveness...
Are you assuming that there will be a new OL coach soon or as soon as next year? If so, I hope you are right......but :cr: :cr:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The first cut of camp, OT Keavon Milton:

I'm surprised Milton was even invited after his play last year. The signing of Jovan Olafioye sealed his fate.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

https://www.bclions.com/2018/05/21/day- ... urns-home/

Cauchy Muamba returns home, to the B.C. Lions.

Welcome back, Cauchy.

In his first time here, I thought he showed very good athleticism and response to the ball.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:51 am
https://www.bclions.com/2018/05/21/day- ... urns-home/

Cauchy Muamba returns home, to the B.C. Lions.

Welcome back, Cauchy.

In his first time here, I thought he showed very good athleticism and response to the ball.
^^ agreed, but I think he lacked football IQ when he was a Lion. His bio states that he didn't start playing football until age 17 so, hopefully he has gained some knowledge during his stints with Bombers and Esks.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 9:28 am

I'm surprised Milton was even invited after his play last year. The signing of Jovan Olafioye sealed his fate.
On a loosely related note former Lion. Jeremy Zver who many were choked got away has retired.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
CardiacKid
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 2:18 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 9:28 am

On a loosely related note former Lion. Jeremy Zver who many were choked got away has retired.
And on an even looser note, John Ojo also left Riderville today but was shown the door by Jones instead of opening it himself.

Certainly a biggish name to see cut at this early juncture. It just make me wonder all the more about what Rider team we will see this year.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Here's wishing former Lion (although very briefly) Jeremy Zver a happy retirement. He didn't seem all that interested in a pro career as he turned down a PR spot with the Lions and then I think with the Riders he got a full paycheck but was on the 6 game IR most of last season, so he couldn't even practice with the Riders...at least not legally. :wink:

According to some posters on Riderfans, Ojo's recovery from injury has not gone well as he was getting beat regularly at TC. Pro football is a fun game but a cruel business.
Fred.Fonce
Rookie

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 2:06 pm

Luther Maddy is listed on the D-line and Jovon Olafioye is not included in the O-line. There is still no official depth chart.
What became of Luther Maddy.....I googled and still see him as property of the Lions?
JohnnyMusso
Champion

What became of Luther Maddy.....I googled and still see him as property of the Lions?

He was cut when they released Brooks. He may be still listed, but I do remember seeing his name among the 3 cuts that included Brooks.
Fred.Fonce
Rookie

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 8:09 pm

He was cut when they released Brooks. He may be still listed, but I do remember seeing his name among the 3 cuts that included Brooks.
Short career!
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 5:00 pm
Here's wishing former Lion (although very briefly) Jeremy Zver a happy retirement. He didn't seem all that interested in a pro career as he turned down a PR spot with the Lions and then I think with the Riders he got a full paycheck but was on the 6 game IR most of last season, so he couldn't even practice with the Riders...at least not legally. :wink:
I recently looked at CFL.ca transactions from last year. They kept Zver on the 1G all year. So yes he was paid and could also practice. Not sure what the cap implications were but whenever I looked at their roster only Zver was on the 1G. Jones put everybody else on the 6G then pulled them off as he saw fit.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Fred.Fonce wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 8:19 pm
JohnnyMusso wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 8:09 pm

Short career!
Most are. More guys have careers of less than 4 games than have 10 year careers.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 8:19 pm
DanoT wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 5:00 pm
I recently looked at CFL.ca transactions from last year. They kept Zver on the 1G all year. So yes he was paid and could also practice. Not sure what the cap implications were but whenever I looked at their roster only Zver was on the 1G. Jones put everybody else on the 6G then pulled them off as he saw fit.
I guess then that Zver's only year in the CFL was as essentially an extra practice player. Since Wally was offering PR money, I am guessing that Jones could have offered rookie minimum and he might have taken it.
Blitz
Team Captain

I'm still in a state of shock. I never thought I would see a new Lions offensive system in the Buono era. After years and years of anguish, (and writing too many posts reflecting my despair) our Leos will feature a new offensive look for 2018.
Jarious Jackson isn’t keen on giving away the keys to his offence, but the new offensive co-ordinator of the B.C. Lions says his scheme represents a new look and philosophy for the Leos.

On Tuesday, the Lions held their first day of practice in pads and unveiled some of the concepts Jackson has installed. Loosely stated, the offence seems to be more rhythm-oriented with an emphasis on the run-pass option favoured by several CFL and NFL teams.

Head coach Wally Buono, for one, was impressed.

“The ball’s out of the quarterback’s hand,” said Buono. “It doesn’t put a lot of stress on the protection. The (motion) is going to help the running game. I liked what I saw.”
(Vancouver Province)
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)