Official Kamloops Training Camp Thread 2018

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

The_Pauser
Legend

I'm okay with the depth chart being what it is. It tells me that everyone is on equal footing and every job is up for grabs. If you work hard and beat someone out then you'll start. Hopefully this creates more competition.
Roar you Lions roar!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 6:44 am
The Lions 1st TC depth charts is one of the most useless documents I have ever seen. Listing guys in alphabetical order????? That is not a DEPTH chart, it is a waste of ink and paper.
X2
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I thought a bit more about your questioning of Greaves at LG Blitz. I'm just spitballing here but I think it could tie into a need to find spots for all the young NAT OL they have assembled. Greaves is a great fit for depth. While played a lot at Rg he also has started several games at LG, particularly while in Edmonton under Hervey. My gut feel is BC will look to Steward, Foucault and/or Knevel to be next man up tackles as opposed to keeping an INT on the PR. If so then it makes some sense to have them in a position where they are only sliding over one spot and staying on the same side of center as opposed to hopping over to the opposite end of the line where footwork, turns etc can be much different.
Last edited by Hambone on Mon May 21, 2018 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Jovan just arrived at the practice facility. Nedless to say he was immediately and warmly greeted by Jennings and the rest of the QBs. I overheard two people with a bunch of camera equipment (not sure if they were media or folks here to tape the session for the team) talking that he wouldn't be making any comments or taking questions until after he goes through his medical.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 3:20 pm
Jovan just arrived at the practice facility. Nedless to say he was immediately and warmly greeted by Jennings and the rest of the QBs.
Like little kids hanging around Daddy when danger seems near. LOL

A big security blanket.

Welcome back, Jovan.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 3:27 pm
Hambone wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 3:20 pm
Jovan just arrived at the practice facility. Nedless to say he was immediately and warmly greeted by Jennings and the rest of the QBs.
Like little kids hanging around Daddy when danger seems near. LOL

A big security blanket.

Welcome back, Jovan.
Lol. Look everybody! Daddy's home!
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Travis is looking pretty good. Participating in all drills so far. Was just doing some rollout and throw on the run drills. Doesn't seem be favouring the knee at all. Any subtle sign of discomfort (can't really detect any) could just be from getting used to the kne brace.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Hambone wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 4:40 pm
Travis is looking pretty good. Participating in all drills so far. Was just doing some rollout and throw on the run drills. Doesn't seem be favouring the knee at all. Any subtle sign of discomfort (can't really detect any) could just be from getting used to the kne brace.
The key to how he is doing is likely to be the amount of post practice swelling and how long it takes to reduce, but good to hear that he doesn't seem to have discomfort.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

It was a non-contact session but there was still one notable hit. Shaq Johnson was streaking down the field looking over his shoulder to catch the ball.......and ran smack into Jeff Reinbold who was standing at mid-field with Wally watching the D do some drills in the other end. Reinbold quickly picked himself up and dusted himself off.
Last edited by Hambone on Mon May 21, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Not much to report as can be expected in a non contact session where the offence and defence kept seperate. Other offensive players provided the defence for whatever offensive unit was on the field and similarly defensive units made like the OL for defensive drills.

For those with their shorts in a knot over the alphabetical depth chart I think I got the OL.

Starting with LT to RT:
1st unit: Figueroa, Steward, Husband, Foucault, Johnson
2nd unit: Polite, Greaves, Norman, Godber, Milton
3rd unit: Didn't catch. Didn't catch, Peirson, Knevel, Patterson

Of course the deck will get shuffled if Olafioye passes his medical and suits up tomorrow.

QBs in expected order. Other than that it was next to impossible to track who is on what unit with a sea of orange jerseys in one end and a sea of white in the other.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Thanks for the frontline reports, Hambone. Right guard is likely the only O-line position up for grabs if Olafioye passes his physical. Can Foucault hold off the two rookies? If he does and he lines up alongside, Olafioye, for whom he was traded last year., would be a double win for the Lions.
David
Team Captain

Thanks for the report Hambone. Great job.

Let me know what you think of Ricky Lloyd. Kid was pretty much lights out at the OTA. But then again he was passing against untested DBs in drills that favour the receivers; doesn't mean he can read a defence. Still, he showed me something and I like his potential. Interested to know what you think.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 8:45 pm
Thanks for the report Hambone. Great job.

Let me know what you think of Ricky Lloyd. Kid was pretty much lights out at the OTA. But then again he was passing against untested DBs in drills that favour the receivers; doesn't mean he can read a defence. Still, he showed me something and I like his potential. Interested to know what you think.

DH :cool:
I honestly didn't pay that much attention to Lloyd. I was mostly watching 10 & 14. When I did watch him he seemed to throw a nice ball. Similar to what you saw at the OTA none of this afternoon's drills involved receivers running routes against DBs. The "DBs" in passing and offensive drills today were all receivers by trade offering only passive resistence.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 6:34 pm
Not much to report as can be expected in a non contact session where the offence and defence kept seperate. Other offensive players provided the defence for whatever offensive unit was on the field and similarly defensive units made like the OL for defensive drills.

For those with their shorts in a knot over the alphabetical depth chart I think I got the OL.

Starting with LT to RT:
1st unit: Figueroa, Steward, Husband, Foucault, Johnson
2nd unit: Polite, Greaves, Norman, Godber, Milton
3rd unit: Didn't catch. Didn't catch, Peirson, Knevel, Patterson

Of course the deck will get shuffled if Olafioye passes his medical and suits up tomorrow.

QBs in expected order. Other than that it was next to impossible to track who is on what unit with a sea of orange jerseys in one end and a sea of white in the other.
Thanks for the report, Hambone. I hope Foucault can be productive this year. He faces a double task. Learning the CFL game, as a tackle. And now as a guard.

One hopes Godber can transition to the pro game quickly. He might be pretty much pro ready.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Dusty
Champion

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 2:41 am

Not much to report as can be expected in a non contact session where the offence and defence kept seperate. Other

Thanks for the report, Hambone. I hope Foucault can be productive this year. He faces a double task. Learning the CFL game, as a tackle. And now as a guard.

One hopes Godber can transition to the pro game quickly. He might be pretty much pro ready.
It seems that most of our Nat O-line come from college in a pro-ready state for their first year. Its after they get coached into the subtleties of their position that they lose their effectiveness and start to degrade. The timing may be good for this years crop of OL draft picks to have a longer lifespan in terms of effectiveness...