Official Kamloops Training Camp Thread 2018

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 1:00 am
Yes, WestCoastJoe. I believe we're going to be very stout against the run this year. I don't know what the median weight of the defensive line will be, but I have to believe it will be 5% - 10% heavier than 2017's.

Our 1st round pick, Julian Laurent, was a very effective run stopper at Georgia State. In fact, as a nose tackle, he anchored a unit that set a school record for fewest rushing yards per game (136.4) and fewest yards per rushing attempt (4.13).

DH :cool:
David, IMO Ed Hervey as GM looks better and better. His blueprint for the personnel matches the view of this fan.

The importance of the OL.

Size and power at DT in the DL. DEs that can get to the QB.

Length and athleticism at receiver and DB.

I think we see his desire for a multi-faceted offence. Sophisticated STs. Don't know if we will see his preference for defensive philosophy this year. Wally and Mark would be hard-pressed to give up what they have gone with for years.

But things are definitely looking up. Some fans may still like what we have run for years. Not this fan.

It is gratifying to see the old fox Wally adapting. This fan thinks he looks rejuvenated. As noted numerous times, he is a survivor. He stayed with what got him all those wins. But times change. Football evolves. Wally adapts when he feels the need. Not sure he feels the need for aggressive defence yet.

IMO for us to be competitive this year he must liberate the defence. Mix things up. Varied coverages. Varied blitzes and alignments. Personnel rotations. Pressure the QB. Play to win. Playing not to lose is a mug's game.

#1 issue for this fan as the season approaches ... defensive philosophy. Will we see change?

Just IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

FanFest 2018 on Saturday was all about the defence and the Kamloops wind, both of which caused trouble for B.C. quarterbacks. This was not a typical Mark Washington defence. Players were blitzing from everywhere and causing problems for the pass protection and quarterbacks.

Unofficially Jonathon Jennings was 3 for 11 passing in the mock game and was sacked twice. All three of his completions were at or behind the line of scrimmage. He threw deep to Manny Arceneaux in double coverage, held the ball too long on most plays and had a pass knocked down in the backfield. Jennings is having a terrible camp and looks worse every day.

Unofficially again, Cody Fajardo fared slightly better, going 5 of 6 and was sacked once while leading the second team.

Third-string QB Ricky Lloyd, who has been erratic in limited reps in camp, had the only TD pass of the mock game, a three-yarder to former Ticat Junior Collins, who set up the TD by catching a deep post pattern against second-team HB Winston Rose.

Travis Lulay was in uniform and participated in warmups but not in the mock game. He still had the longest autograph line after the event, and happily took selfies with everyone who asked.

Individuals who looked good on defence included Jordan Herdman and Ivan McLennan, who have both been having a good camp, as well as David Menard and Bo Lokombo. First-team RB Jeremiah Johnson ran for a TD.

Ty Long, who was the starting kicker, was pooch kicking American-style rather than attempting conventional Canadian-style directional punting. It was mildly effective but that has the potential to go badly when a punt bounces back toward the line of scrimmage and the cover team has to scramble to get out of the way. Long was 2 for 3 on FG attempts and 1 for 1 on converts. Jose Maltos was 1 for 1 on FGs and saw limited action.

Mixed news on the injury front. Solomon Elimimian and Joel Figueroa (pronounced Jo-EL, he politely told me) were both back in the starting lineup after missing a few days with minor injuries. Odell Willis and Ricky Collins were still out, as were Maxx Forde and Garry Peters, both of whom were injured Friday. Defensive linemen Quinton Bradley and Courtnei Jenkins also sat out.

Other than the injury replacements, the starting lineup was unchanged from the past two days.

Despite the lack of offence, it was a fun night with lots of kids, families and fun. Attendance was probably greater than last year, the players graciously signed lots of autographs and the post-event fireworks show, sponsored by the B.C. Lottery Corp., was excellent.

Give the team a fail though for not handing out depth charts and rosters to most fans. They were kept in a box by the entrance. The roster had many players’ numbers wrong, it didn’t include Jovan Olafioye and it listed 2017 rotational DE Josh Shirley at #98, in addition to Ivan McLennan, who has been a fixture at rush end and all-around special teamer and is close to a lock to stay around when and if Willis returns from his concussion. And the depth chart, like all that have been issued so far this year, is really an alphabetical position chart even though the first-team offence and defence is clear to everyone in attendance and has not changed since I've been here other than through injuries.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Unofficially Jonathon Jennings was 3 for 11 passing in the mock game and was sacked twice. All three of his completions were at or behind the line of scrimmage. He threw deep to Manny Arceneaux in double coverage, held the ball too long on most plays and had a pass knocked down in the backfield. Jennings is having a terrible camp and looks worse every day.
Seems like the Jennings of last year. Not good
David
Team Captain

Thanks for the great report, B.C.FAN. Wish I could have been there. I understand there was a serious accident on Hwy 1 though earlier today that tied up traffic for hours, so rather glad I missed that.

Not encouraging news about JJ, to say the least. However, I will not panic yet for two reasons. First, we have seen both JJ and Travis look rather poor in training camp and preseason before, only to progress once the regular season begins. Second, he may just be having trouble picking up the nuances of Jarious's new offensive schemes and over-thinking things. That said, 3 for 11 in a scrimmage is atrocious.

I don't know what has happened to the confident kid that wowed me at training camp in 2015. As a rookie, he came in and boldly marched his offence up and down the field, hitting every receiver in stride. I knew we had something. Now he appears rather diffident, trying to say all the right things in interviews but not seeing the field. We are going to need "a" QB to emerge or we're not going to make the playoffs again. Quarterbacking in the West is just too good.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

The depth roster/depth chart thing was a combination of sad and comical. The depth chart part was the same is the one that was a hot topic here this time last week. In fairness it also had a nice glossy photo with FanFest sponsor logos on the front side so it wasn't like they just whipped it up this morning with the latest info. Olafioye was still not listed. As for the roster they must've used the exact same form or document as last year and just copied the current roster over it. Only problem was there were 3 more players on the old form than the current roster. So it went numerically right down to #99 Julien Laurent who should've been the last name then it listed #96 Frank Alexander, #98 Josh Shirley and #99 Dylan Ainsworth. If I recall last year's version also had several warts.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 9:23 pm
FanFest 2018 on Saturday was all about the defence and the Kamloops wind, both of which caused trouble for B.C. quarterbacks. This was not a typical Mark Washington defence. Players were blitzing from everywhere and causing problems for the pass protection and quarterbacks.
Thanks for the report, BCFAN.

Interesting re the D. Trying on an aggressive approach for size. Hope we see it in the games.

Have we ruined JJ10? Possible. Without an effective QB, we are up Scheis Creek without a paddle. That Scheis Creek is up there somewhere near Kamloops I think. Tedford and Cortez laid an egg here, under difficult circumstances. But they have had much success with QBs in their careers, and it seems to me JJ10 prospered under their guidance.

Oh my ... let us hope he settles down, or it will be a very unsatisfying year.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Blitz
Team Captain

I'm not worried about Jennings at this stage of the season.

Jennings, in his first six starts, in his rookie season, in 2015, completed 66% of his passes and had a quarterback efficiency of 99.8%. That was obviously a good start to his career here in B.C.

But what gives me confidence is that Jennings started all 18 games in 2016. He completed 67% of his passes, threw for over 5,000 yds (5226 yds.), threw 27 touchdown passes, and had a quarterback efficiency of 102.1.

Two injuries in 2017, combined with playing quarterback in an offence that gave up the most sacks and pressures in the CFL affected his play and his lowered performance affected his confidence.

That confidence may take time to come back but I believe that it will.

No question that Jennings has all the physical tools and he has them in abundance.
KAMLOOPS — Jarious Jackson has been playing and studying the quarterback position for over 20 years and, like anyone who watches Jonathon Jennings for more than five minutes, he’s excited about the things he can see.

There’s the NFL-calibre arm, which throws the prettiest deep ball in the Canadian game. There’s the elite athleticism, which buys Jennings time and space in the passing game and makes him a threat in the run game. And there’s the calm demeanour and studious approach to the gridiron’s most demanding position.

Yes, there is much to like about the B.C. Lions quarterback. (Ed Willes, the Province)
The key is to get Jennings confidence back. That is the approach that both Ed Hervey and Jarious Jackson are taking.

I look at Travis Lulay's 2015 season. Lulay had a passing completion percentage of 62.8 and had an 84.4 quarterback efficiency. Those numbers are very close to Jennings numbers of 2017, when Jennings completed 65.7% of his passes and had a quarterback efficiency of 83.8.

Lulay was not a confident quarterback in 2015 nor was Jennings last season. But Lulay turned things around in 2017, playing outstanding football in his four starts before getting injured. Jennings is very capable of getting back to his 2016 form.

We also need to hope that happens. If Jennings cannot be the future, then our Leos will need to find another quarterback, longer term. Travis Lulay signed as a backup quarterback in B.C. because no other CFL team was willing to take a chance on him as a potential starter, based upon his injury record.

Lulay may need to step into the starters position this season, should Jennings falter. But if Jennings does not get his game back to his 2016 level, then our Leos will be searching for the 'next' one in 2019.

But right now, the future of the franchise at the quarterback position revolves around Jonathan Jennings.
New GM Ed Hervey undertook an ambitious renovation of the Lions’ lineup this offseason to address many of the team’s needs. But, at its core, it was intended to bring Jennings back to his 2016 form.

Part of the quarterback’s problems last year involved a leaky offensive line which had Jennings playing under duress far too often. This year, it’s been improved substantially with the addition of giant tackles Joel Figueroa and Jovan Olafioye.

Jackson, who established himself as one of the CFL’s best offensive minds after leaving the Lions in 2013, was brought back to help rehabilitate Jennings. There were multiple offseason meetings with Hervey, Buono and sports psychologist Dr. Frank Lodato.(The Province)
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Players were in pads and helmets Sunday afternoon for a full-contact practice that ended with a long session of gassers in the hot Kamloops sun.

Garry Peters took his starting halfback spot in the secondary after missing a couple of days. There were no other changes in the first-team offence and defence.

Newly acquired rookie defensive tackle Gelen Robinson from Purdue was on the field and registered a quarterback pressure in third-unit team play. He's one of six internationals listed at defensive tackle (3-tech) position, including Davon Coleman, who has yet to arrive from Hamilton. That doesn't say much about the others who have been competing for that position but Claudell Louis again took first-team reps.

The nose tackle is a strictly national position this year, with Junior Luke taking first-team reps, backed up by rookie first-round draft pick Julien Laurent and sixth-round draft pick Rashari Henry. Maxx Forde is still out with an apparent shoulder injury and was again riding the bike on the sidelines.

Odell Willis was back on the field and taking part in light drills after suffering a concussion last week. International D-lineman Quinton Bradley, receiver Ricky Collins, FB Dakota Brush and kicker Ty Long also didn't practise. Mexican rookie Jose Maltos took all kicking reps and was booming his punts 55 yards with the breeze behind him.

The first-unit offence had trouble moving the ball against the defence in team play, especially in the run game. Jonathon Jennings looked better at hitting short passes, and was unofficially 4 of 6 in team play before I lost count. He may have thrown one or two more balls. All four quarterbacks have shown equally strong arms. The biggest question remains how well they can pick up the new offence and read the defence. This year's B.C. defence looks to be improved all around, but you'll need a program to recognize their names. Middle linebacker Solomon Elimimian, safety Anthony Thompson and halfback T.J. Lee are the only returning starters. Many other returning players have changed numbers this year.

A couple of non-starters on defence were the stars of Sunday's session. Backup nickelback Tevin McDonald, finally getting a chance to compete at his natural position this year, was strong in coverage and had a knockdown and tackle for a loss. Backup halfback Solomon Means also showed well in coverage and had an interception against Manny Arceneaux in 1-on-1s.

First-team slotback Cory Watson drew the loudest cheers from the few dozen spectators in the stands with a one-handed grab on a deep corner route in 1 on 1s.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions took two steps forward and one step back on the injury front Monday. Odell Willis was back on the field taking first-team reps at rush end ahead of Ivan McLennan after missing four days with a concussion. On offence, Ricky Collins also returned to the first-team unit at wide receiver in place of Tyler Davis. Jovan Olafioye was in uniform but sat out with back issues. Antonio Johnson took his place at right tackle. There were no other changes to the first team unit. Players sitting out with lingering injuries included defensive back Mike Dubuisson, fullback Dakota Brush, slotback Kenny Lawler and defensive tackles Maxx Forde and Bradley Quinton. I did not see RB Travon Van anywhere on the field or sidelines.

Newly acquired defensive tackle Davon Coleman was on the field for the first time as a Lion and took part in positional drills with the fourth-team unit. He did not scrimmage. Claudell Louis remained with the first-team unit.

Monday was a good day for the offence. For the first time, Jonathon Jennings seemed comfortable with the short passing game. He consistently hit his running backs and slotbacks with quick passes in the backfield or near the line and checked down to them when his first read was covered. He also threw deep TD passes to Davis and Shaq Johnson. In fact, Jennings was nearly purrfect on the day. He didn't miss a pass in team play until the final session of the four-hour practice when he threw one ball away, missed Shaq on an out pattern and had a pass over the middle knocked down neatly by safety Anthony Thompson. The first-team offence also ran the ball well. Before Monday, the defence had held the upper hand and rarely allowed back-to-back first downs.

So far in camp we've seen a heavy emphasis on the running game and short passing game, mainly to running backs Jeremiah Johnson and Chris Rainey, inside slots Manny Arceneaux and Cory Watson and the wide receivers. The focus is on getting the ball into the hands of the Lions playmakers near the line of scrimmage and having them challenge defenders in space. So far Bryan Burnham has seen far fewer targets than he's accustomed to, but that may change as Jarious Jackson installs more of his offence.

Aside from Jennings, standouts on Monday again included second-team middle linebacker Jordan Herdman, who has shown great instincts in reading the run game and is always around the ball. I'm not sure he has the speed to be a long-term answer at that position of anything happens to Solomon Elimimian but on a short-term basis he seems to be a very capable option. Also continuing to impress is second-team nickelback Tevin McDonald, who spends a lot of time in the backfield pressuring the QB and snuffing out the run. He's not going to take the first-team job from Otha Foster but he is a good candidate to make the roster as dime back. Other second-team DBs who have shown well include Kendall James and Solomon Means.

Both kickers took part and alternated in kicking and punting drills. Both also got to test their legs with some long field goals. From my vantage point in the stands, Ty Long seemed to drop one just over the bar from 60 yards while Jose Maltos just missed the upright from 62 yards. Long was booming his kickoffs 73 to 75 yards in light wind.

Finally, two defensive linemen who are not expected to be opening-day starters, Louis and McLennan, continued to take first-team reps on special teams. I expect to see McLennan on the regular season roster as a rotational defensive end but Louis's position is less secure if Coleman takes over from him as first-team defensive tackle.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Another much-appreciated TC report, BCFAN.

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 6:11 pm
Another much-appreciated TC report, BCFAN.
X2
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

https://www.bclions.com/2018/05/28/jack ... tamp-camp/

[quote][/One player who has really benefited from Jackson’s new scheme is Shaq Johnson. The 2016 fourth-round draft pick out of the London Jr. Beefeaters program made strides last season, finishing second to Brad Sinopoli in yards amongst Canadian receivers, and now looks to become a full-fledged game breaker in 2018.

“I think he is probably having the best camp out of everyone on offence right now, which is surprising but not,” stated the offensive coordinator.
quote]
David
Team Captain

So from B.C.FAN's excellent reporting and media stories, it would appear that 2nd year Lions who have made a noticeable jump include:

Jordan Herdman (what a steal of draft pick that was. Can't believe he was still available)
Shaq Johnson
David Foucault

The good news is that all 3 of these guys are Nationals. While I don't expect Herdman to get a lot of regular season game reps at linebacker, he will most certainly be a force on special teams.

I am pulling for Anthony Thompson to really step up at safety and make a mark. I know he's athletic, but annoying people like me won't let the club forget that a marketable, BC kid, and 2x All-Star named Taylor Loffler was available to be picked. He's just the type of bigger body, physical player that Hervey is now recruiting for the defensive secondary. :sigh: It will not be a good sign if Cauchy starts the season (and that is no knock on Cauchy).

Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://3downnation.com/2017/03/14/jorda ... s-pro-day/

Some excerpts ...
Jordan Herdman disappoints at pro day

By Dan Ralph

Herdman had solid efforts in the bench press (23 reps) and broad jump (nine feet four inches) but his 40-yard dash time of 4.97 seconds – as recorded by a scout at the workout – and 28 1/2-inch vertical jump could both be improved upon.

And Herdman – who measures five foot 10 (he’s been listed at six foot) and weighs 234 pounds – struggled with his footing on some agility drills.

“I’ve hit better numbers during training and feel I could’ve definitely posted better times but you only get one attempt and so if you slip or stumble that’s what they go with. I think they (scouts) also have to take into account I play football very well so they have to watch the film and see how I play on the field.”
His numbers were not well received at the Combine. Not fast enough. Did not jump high enough. Too short.

But all he can do is make plays. :thup:

He finds the ball. He gets there. He makes the play.
Herdman enjoyed a stellar career at Simon Fraser, registering Great Northwest Athletic Conference records for career (428), single-season (165) and single-game (26) tackles. Twice he was named the GNAC’s top defensive player.
“I was expecting a bit better showing,” said Geroy Simon, the most prolific receiver in CFL history who’s now the B.C. Lions’ director of Canadian scouting. “In a pro day you want to show your athletic ability, you want to show your explosiveness, you want to show your speed and acceleration and change of direction.”
“Solomon Elimimian is pushing five foot 11 while Adam Bighill is about five foot nine,” Simon said. “But the thing those guys have is the ability to run, the ability to be explosive and make plays.

“What we look for are guys who can run. If you can’t run, that’s going to hurt you with our team.”
But Simon also said evaluating talent isn’t an exact science.

“Some scouts don’t care about size,” he said. “If you have the ability to play, if you have the ability to run and do the things you need to do, they’ll take a shot on you.”

Simon added Herdman’s game film shows very well.

“On film you can see his quickness, his explosiveness, you can see his ability to read plays,” Simon said. “He’s a very fit kid, he looks like a football player.

“Big chest, big shoulders, strong hands.”
Yes. Not an exact science.

#1 Can he make plays?

Ed Hervey of course wants length at some positions, DBs, WRs, etc. But to quote Jimmy Johnson: ''Ya gotta make plays.''

And we got a good one in Herdman, due to some shallow thinking by personnel men of other teams.

(Or to quote George W. Bush: ''He was misunderestimated.'') :wink:

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Working from BCFAN's note re the depth chart, with changes to come, our team is looking something like this ...

OFFENCE
WR: Tyler Davis / Ricky Collins
SB: Manny Arceneaux
LT: Joel Figueroa (excellent pickup)
LG: Hunter Steward
C: Cody Husband
RG: David Foucault / Petet Godber
RT: Jovan Olafioye (welcome back)
SB: Cory Watson / Danny Vandervoort
SB: Bryan Burnham
WR: Shaq Johnson
QB: Jonathon Jennings
RB: Jeremiah Johnson
FB: Rolly Lumbala / David Mackie

New offence. Hoo Ray :yahoo:

Better OL personnel :thup:

Better pass protection schemes from play design and calls. Hopefully.

Better OL pass protection blocking? One would think so.

Emphasis on the run game, with some variety. I expect so.

Focus on outlet passes to backs and quick hitters to SBs. Hopefully

DEFENCE:
DE: Gabe Knapton (high end motor)
NT: Junior Luke / Julien Laurent
DT: Claudell Louis / Davon Coleman
DE: Odell Willis (lots left in the tank, one hopes)
OLB: Keelan Johnson / Dyshawn Davis
MLB: Solomon Elimimian
NKL: Otha Foster
CB: Anthony Orange (karma, with that new name)
HB: T.J. Lee
S: Anthony Thompson
HB: Garry Peters
CB: Marcell Young

Huge turnover on D. Yup. Was it personnel to blame for poor results? Yes. Plus, IMO, way too conservative a philosophy. Deep, soft zone coverages, like pylons. Poor blitzing schemes.

NAT depth greatly improving