It's official. Adam Bighill now a Bomber (page 2)

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Spud387
Champion

I wonder where he will end up (NFL or CFL). I know he still has a place in Surrey, as I've seen his family out for walks in winter/spring in my neighborhood.

Source
The New Orleans Saints have released former CFL all-star linebacker Adam Bighill.

Bighill suited up in three games for the Saints in 2017 recording one tackle after making the practice squad out of training camp. Bighill signed a reserve/futures contract with the Saints in January but he was let go on Monday.

The 29-year-old racked up 108 tackles – third most in the CFL – five sacks and one interception in 2016 for the B.C. Lions while earning league all-star honours for the fourth time in his six-year CFL career.

While Bighill will likely hope for another NFL opportunity, he could look to return north of the border. CFL training camps get underway on Sunday.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

In Bighill’s heart he’s still a Lion. As noted, he lives here in the offseason, still attends community events with Lion players and is popular with fans. I’m not sure the Lions could afford him but I would make him a priority signing ahead of Micah Awe.
The_Pauser
Legend

He was working out at the Lions practice facility over the winter. If he's coming back to the CFL I really hope it's with the Lions. We still have cap space from the Euclid Cummings fiasco so there is room.
Roar you Lions roar!
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Up front money to Cummings lost. Probably big money to Lokombo being signed. Not sure if there is SMS left at this point.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Blue In BC wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 2:38 pm
Up front money to Cummings lost. Probably big money to Lokombo being signed. Not sure if there is SMS left at this point.
Cummings contract was voided by the league prior to bonus money being paid, so I would think that the Lions have the cap room to pay Awe or Bighill but not both.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Would love to see Team 100 reunited and creating havoc on the field.
maxlion
Legend

Love Bighill, but not sure it makes sense to put that much money towards linebackers. We've been down that road before. I'd put the money in the def and off line.
The_Pauser
Legend

maxlion wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 3:04 pm
Love Bighill, but not sure it makes sense to put that much money towards linebackers. We've been down that road before. I'd put the money in the def and off line.
Who are you going to give that money to? It's easy to say you would put it towards the offensive and defensive line, but on May 14, who is available that you would pay that money to?

Not to mention our defensive line has been addressed: We have added Odell Willis and Gabe Knapton. We still have Mich'ael Brooks on the interior, as well as David Menard, Maxx Forde, Junior Luke, and now Julian Laurant. Meanwhile we have a big hole at the WILL position.
Roar you Lions roar!
CardiacKid
Legend

This is a tough one....

The only things that pop into my head that could give the Lions pause (no pun intended) are the $ involved and Bighill's age. He is 29 so not the oldest guy but do you as a GM/team braintrust start putting some faith in the younger guys? The Lions have Solly and Otha Foster as the most likely starters in the non-Bighill spots, do you go on a youth movement elsewhere in the linebacking corps?

The Lions are tending towards the Gold Watch territory all of a sudden....

And would the $ that Bighill would warrant (and talent deserves) be kept aside as being earmarked for a possible appearance by a guy like Boyko? The team has shown itself as being serious about upgrading the trenches and I suspect Hervey would not be disinclined about bringing a talented National on board should one become available.

Love Biggie...but part of me hopes he catches on with another NFL team and makes the decision for the Leos.
Qman
Champion

Blue In BC wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 2:38 pm
doubt lokombo is making more than avg salary of 113k. probably less than 100k. he's a primarily a special teamer and part-time player on defense, not even a starter.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

I think it would be slam dunk if Wally was still GM. Not sure much with Ed as not the same loyalty and all the cap money tied into the two linebacker positions.
But given where this team stands in the marketplace and the uphill climb ahead of them, it brings back a popular player and that can't be overlooked.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:33 pm
I think it would be slam dunk if Wally was still GM. Not sure much with Ed as not the same loyalty and all the cap money tied into the two linebacker positions.
But given where this team stands in the marketplace and the uphill climb ahead of them, it brings back a popular player and that can't be overlooked.

It shouldn't be overlooked but unfortunately it can be overlooked as marketing oppourtunities often have in the past.
David
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:40 pm
SammyGreene wrote:

It shouldn't be overlooked but unfortunately it can be overlooked as marketing oppourtunities often have in the past.
A tough call indeed. If I am Ed, do I pay less to the up-and-coming, hard-hitting linebacker Micah Awe if he decides to come back? I know Biggie is hugely popular here and I'd hate to see him end up say, in a Bomber uniform, but can we afford to reunite Team100? Should marketing opportunities be the over-arching concern? Seems we didn't draw that well in his last year in BC, so Ed should (and does) concern himself with putting the best product on the field, by spending as efficiently as possible.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 1:13 am
DanoT wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:40 pm
SammyGreene wrote:

A tough call indeed. If I am Ed, do I pay less to the up-and-coming, hard-hitting linebacker Micah Awe if he decides to come back? I know Biggie is hugely popular here and I'd hate to see him end up say, in a Bomber uniform, but can we afford to reunite Team100? Should marketing opportunities be the over-arching concern? Seems we didn't draw that well in his last year in BC, so Ed should (and does) concern himself with putting the best product on the field, by spending as efficiently as possible.

DH :cool:
The bitter reality is that as rightfully popular as Biggie is for all Lion fans getting him back versus allowing him to go elsewhere likely doesn't move the fanny-meter any measurable amount.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

I don't want Bighill to go elsewhere in part because I don't want to see him make a Lions opponent stronger.
With his wife being from Vancouver, and Bighill kinda owing the Lions one for releasing him when and how they did, (and the Lions getting fined for doing it), I think he gives the Lions the "Hometown Discount".