2018 CFL Draft, Including Trades (Topics merged by Mod Staff)

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

The_Pauser
Legend

Belize City Lion wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 3:48 pm
The_Pauser wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 3:06 pm
Belize City Lion wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 2:48 pm

Giving up your first round pick next year just to move up 5 spots and get a late first round pick this year? Seems like a steep price to pay to get someone at #7.
They move up 5 spots this year and also get the 16th pick this year.
The 16th pick is not a gain. We gave away the 12th pick to get it.
Then we gave up next years 1st round pick to get this year's 7th round pick. You can't say we gave up next year's 1st round pick just to move up 5 spots and not include the 16th as a gain. It doesn't work that way.
Roar you Lions roar!
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I would like that too. Last year, the sports writers picked them to be in the Grey Cup. I expect this year, they will predict them to miss playoffs. I hope they are wrong again.

It is all conditional on Jennings. He is saying all the right things, but has to prove it on the field. I hope he succeeds, for if he don't, Hervey will not bring him back next year.

At least with the CFL draft, it is not like the NFL or NHL draft, where the NO 1 overall can be a superstar. In the CFL, just a good player and likely a back up for a few years. Some of them are busts, like that DL we drafted 3 or 4 years ago.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I do agree Dano Lions need to have a good year and make playoffs, but personally, I just do not think any of the guys they draft will be starters, but backups and they really do not make that much of an impact in year one, like Danny V, the guy Lions drafted last year. And some of the first rounders will be busts or go to NFL and never seen again or 3 or 4 years from now.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Generally speaking there is not a lot of difference between 1st round picks. A 8th or 9th overall pick is just as likely to be an eventual starter as an earlier pick. So with this years draft class being very deep at O Line and next years draft not as deep, a 3rd and 7th overall pick in 2018 might be just as productive as a 3rd overall pick in 2018 and 3rd or whatever in 2019. And with this trade, one extra 1st rounder gets plugged into the system a year early.

Yup, I like this trade.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Supposedly a deep draft this year. Ed felt they needed to make a move to pick up a 1st round draft selection this year, #7, in exchange for a 1st round selection, unknown, in 2019.

We could be giving up an overall #1, #2 or #3 in 2019 for a #7 this year. The optics might not be great. It seems like a mortgage on the future. Get the asset now, but pay later. LOL But we do get the extra 1st round pick this year.

Plus we give up #12 this year for #16 this year. Not a big deal.

There are so many variables in this drafting and developing game that it is hard to say if we win or lose on the trade. Time will tell. The ultimate judgment depends on how well you make your draft picks, and how well you develop them.

Let's load up on the hogs. :thup:

https://www.bclions.com/2018/05/02/eve- ... good-spot/
“Our approach was to be aggressive,” said Hervey on Wednesday afternoon.

“We felt that there are some quality players in this draft that we wanted the opportunity to select. With just one pick in the first round and then nothing until 12th overall, we weren’t quite sure we would get the type of player that we want or necessarily need. We made a pitch to move up, it was met by Winnipeg with openness and we were able to get a deal done. It gives us flexibility as far as being able to select the players we want and we’ll wait to see how the draft unfolds.”

"Having seventh overall gives us a little more flexibility to make a decision on what we want to do as far as is it the best player available at three versus what we can get at seven.”

“We feel good about our list of top seven, and that if we get two of those players, we’ve started off on a good note.”
At this time, this fan likes our new GM. He must be careful with the issue of media access, however. One suspects that Ed knows how to acquire talented and effective players. One suspects that he knows how to build a team. Next year we will see how he does in selecting a new head coach. (He did well with Chris Jones and Jason Maas, although Maas is admittedly a hothead.) But let's not get ahead of ourselves; the 2018 season is about to kick off. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

The good news is if they indeed load up on offensive lineman it should be only one season working with Dorazio before a new coach comes in 2019.
Will they draft a lineman today who is considered as pro ready as Charles Vaillancourt was two years ago? They were ecstatic to get him at #6 and he started right out of training camp. Two years later there is no certainty he will be starting in the final year of his contract. He hasn't exactly flourished under Dorazio.
CardiacKid
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 6:37 am
The good news is if they indeed load up on offensive lineman it should be only one season working with Dorazio before a new coach comes in 2019.
Will they draft a lineman today who is considered as pro ready as Charles Vaillancourt was two years ago? They were ecstatic to get him at #6 and he started right out of training camp. Two years later there is no certainty he will be starting in the final year of his contract. He hasn't exactly flourished under Dorazio.
There are some pretty massive offensive linemen who are available for this draft. There are multiple guys who are 6'9" and over 300lbs! The Lions identified the offensive line as needing beefing up and there are the young guys available right now who can fit the bill and then some; guys like Trey Rutherford, Peter Goober, David Knevel, Mark Korte, Arnaud Gendron-Dumouchel, the much touted Dakoda Shepley and more. I like the fact Hervey loaded up a few more draft picks this year.

And as some posters have intimated, I suspect this is only 1 piece of the puzzle when it comes to the Lions' plans for the O-Line with a new coordinator in the future who will mentor these guys....
BC 1988
Legend

CardiacKid wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 9:54 am
SammyGreene wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 6:37 am
There are some pretty massive offensive linemen who are available for this draft. There are multiple guys who are 6'9" and over 300lbs! The Lions identified the offensive line as needing beefing up and there are the young guys available right now who can fit the bill and then some; guys like Trey Rutherford, Peter Goober, David Knevel, Mark Korte, Arnaud Gendron-Dumouchel, the much touted Dakoda Shepley and more. I like the fact Hervey loaded up a few more draft picks this year.

And as some posters have intimated, I suspect this is only 1 piece of the puzzle when it comes to the Lions' plans for the O-Line with a new coordinator in the future who will mentor these guys....
Agreed, the young O-Line talent (and by extension, the QBs) just have to survive the damage (hopefully) only one more season.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

An interesting trade risk for both teams. It may take a couple of years to see who won the trade. It may work out better for both teams with SMS, roster needs at the moment and in the future.
Blitz
Team Captain

Its very likely that both Chapman and Rutherford will be off the board when our Leos draft 3rd.

The key question is who will our Leos select first? Ryan Hunter, Dakoda Shepley, David Knevel, Mark Korte and Peter Godber are the top rated offensive lineman but whom also have garnered NFL interest.

Defensive back Godfrey Onyeka could be a surprise selection.

But no question, Ed Hervey has his eye on someone at #7 that he wants and thinks he can get or he would not have made the trade with the Bombers.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

1 (3) Ryan Hunter OL Bowling Green North Bay, ON 2 (10) Mark Chapman REC Central Michigan Port Huron, Michigan 3 (11) Dakoda Shepley OL UBC Windsor, ON 4 (2) Trey Rutherford OL Connecticut Markham, ON 5 (1) David Knevel OL Nebraska Brantford, ON 6 (12) Mark Korte OL Alberta Spruce Grove, AB 7 (4) Peter Godber OL Rice Toronto, ON 8 (5) Julien Laurent DL Georgia State Toronto, ON 9 (7) Rashaun Simonise REC Okanagan (CJFL) Vancouver
https://www.cfl.ca/2018/04/12/hunter-ta ... -rankings/
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
The_Pauser
Legend

My draft prediction:

3- Peter Godber
7- Godfrey Onyeka
Roar you Lions roar!
squishy35
Legend

The_Pauser wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 1:59 pm
My draft prediction:

3- Peter Godber
7- Godfrey Onyeka
Hoping for: David Knevel OL and Julien Laurent DL
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Blitz wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 11:55 am
Its very likely that both Chapman and Rutherford will be off the board when our Leos draft 3rd.

The key question is who will our Leos select first? Ryan Hunter, Dakoda Shepley, David Knevel, Mark Korte and Peter Godber are the top rated offensive lineman but whom also have garnered NFL interest.

Defensive back Godfrey Onyeka could be a surprise selection.

But no question, Ed Hervey has his eye on someone at #7 that he wants and thinks he can get or he would not have made the trade with the Bombers.
Hunter and Shepley have already been signed as priority UDFAs in the NFL. That usually means kiss them good-bye until final NFL cuts at the earliest........or in the case of Israel Idonije, Austin Pasztor, Andy Mulumba, Brett Boyko and others for multiple years. I really don't concern myself with those who are offered mini-camp tryouts as it's so rare than any come out of them with a contract offer to go to NFL training camp.

With the lure of the NFL I always equate the early parts of the CFL draft as being akin to the contest of the day when visiting a buddy in the UBC dorms back in the mid-70s. The contest was to see who could lob an empty beer bottle the farthest down the hall way without breaking it. Thus it is with the early picks in the CFL draft. Draft who has the most talent and can be the best CFL player when your draft slot is up without breaking your heart by being so good as to wind up in the NFL for the foreseeable or even long term future.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Lions need to pick a receiver and O lineman in the first round.