Argos 40 - Lions 13, Post-Mortem Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

An embarrassment.

A debacle.

Ray sliced up our D.

Our O was hopeless.

STs as per usual.

We'll do this anyway.

A post-mortem on a season of futility.

Stats and comments coming.

Why bother? Because it is our franchise.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Solomon breaks his record. Attaway, Sollie.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Passing "attacks" ... Term used loosely.

2017-11-04_2200.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

maxlion
Legend

Elimimian is a true leader. Talented and smart. Lulay too. It was good to see Lulay come back and play well again.

As a franchise, we are where Toronto was last year. Hopefully the business can be figured out before free agency.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Rushing attacks ...

2017-11-04_2202.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

leo4life
All Star

Called a blowout loss beforehand....only way to get this staff out
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Happy for Solomon. Met him post-practice one time, along with Jovan Olafioye. Me and Vic, at the bar, a few years back.

Both players very classy.

Sollie is a tackling machine. Team player. When he came back from the NFL I had some doubts. Those doubts vanished fast. He has been sensational. :thup:

2017-11-04_2206.png

maxlion
Legend

leo4life wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:08 pm
Called a blowout loss beforehand....only way to get this staff out
I doubt it makes a difference. There is no owner, no president, and probably no gm or coach.

I am climbing aboard the Ed Hervey bandwagon, but I guess we need an owner first.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

what we need is a famous bc hockey player, his teams owner, and a famous BC comedian, to buy the team,
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
aklawitter
All Star

I'll drive Khari to the airport
The_Pauser
Legend

KnowItAll wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:16 pm
what we need is a famous bc hockey player, his teams owner, and a famous BC comedian, to buy the team,
I hope you’re not referring to Linden and Aquilini. I want Linden fired from the Canucks, and can’t wait for Aquilini to sell that team. Complete tire fire there. Stay far away from the Lions.
Roar you Lions roar!
leo4life
All Star

Bouno backed his OC/DC before this game according to LU...🤡
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

A shambles.

Like someone said, time to clean house. New owner. New General Manager. New Head Coach. New coaching staff. Some new personnel on the O Line. Some new personnel on the D Line.

Will it happen? LOL

This is almost as big a soap opera as Donald Trump, 24x7 news.

Will it happen? My hunch. Braley does not sell. He asks Wally to do one more year. Wally says yes. Much the same staff next year.

Regarding the specifics of this last game ...

Pass protection. Fail.

Pressure on Ray. Fail.

Tackling. Fail.

Zone defence. Fail.

Game planning. Fail.

Play calling. Fail.

Team readiness. Fail.

Fail in all respects.

maxlion
Legend

leo4life wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:22 pm
Bouno backed his OC/DC before this game according to LU...🤡
This is normal professional behavior. Can't throw them under the bus before the final meaningless game of the season at the end of a hall of fame career. No judgement on the coordinators.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Post mortem. Appropriate thread title.

The discussion from players and commentators on the postgame show was the same stories we’ve heard all year: the Lions didn’t come out with intensity tonight, they didn’t execute, players failed to their assignments because they were trying to cover for someone else, the team lacked vereran leadership but it still has a core of talented veterans who want to come back next year.

All that is true to some extent, but as usual coaching and quarterbacking was the key. Ricky Ray dissected the Lions with his eyes before the snap and knew when he would have open receivers in the flat, on the backside and over the middle. It was easy pickings for a veteran quarterback who came into the game with a good game plan and executed it well.

Jonathon Jennings and his receivers were confused. He either threw into traffic or into open areas where there were no receivers. He showed none of the poise and quick decisiin-making that we saw last week and he didn’t seem to have an effective game plan. The only pass plays that worked were the short screens that the Lions rolled out last week, and the Argos did a good job of coming up to make tackles to limit the Lion gains. The only part of the Lions offence trhat showed early success was the inside running game to Johnson behind the strong blocking of Cody Husband and Charles Vaillancourt, but the Lions abandoned the run early and stayed with their ineffective passing game.

Manny Arceneaux played a strong game and bailed his team out with some tough catches but no one else on offence did much.

Defensively, I was counting Elimimian’s tackles and was happy to see him break the record. The defence was worn down and disheartened in the second half but Solly didn’t quit. He’s a great leader.

I was sorry to see Cody Husband get hurt at the end of the game. I hope it’s not serious and he is healthy for training camp. Al the starters on the offensive line are pending free agents. Husband and Hunter Steward are the core if that line and should be priority signings. Vaillancourt and Foucault both looked good in recent weeks. If the Lions can upgrade the two tackles, they should have a better O-line next year.

Defensively, the line remains a huge weakness. David Menard and Junior Luke got almost within an arm’s length of Ricky ray a couple of times but that was about it. I just don’t see any international talent worth bringing back. Farhan Lalji suggested the Lions need to bring in at least one proven veteran free agent for the offensive and defensive lines. I agree. Talent is hard to find. Without a few proven veteran internationals on the offensive and defensive lines, the Lions will continue to struggle.

And I hope Travis Lulay is back and healthy next year. Too much has been expected of Jennings too soon.