What if Als go over SMS and lose a draft pick?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Since the Als have traded their 1st 2017 pick to the Lions, if they go over the SMS to the point of losing a draft pick, do they then lose their 2nd pick instead? If so it seems like less of a penalty.
pennw
Legend

Als sure are a mess since Popp appointed himself HC . I did see an article in the Province where it said Popp will not be HC next year. I guess he can see that such a move , staying on as HC , could end up costing him both johs. Last year he appointed himself as HC on the interim I believe , but the the extra pay check must have been too enticing for him to give up . So now he has created the mess he's in because of it. IMO he would be better off if he appointed Chap as interim HC and fired himself immediately . That way he could focus on just being GM where he has done wellin the past .
Blitz
Team Captain

pennw wrote:Als sure are a mess since Popp appointed himself HC . I did see an article in the Province where it said Popp will not be HC next year. I guess he can see that such a move , staying on as HC , could end up costing him both johs. Last year he appointed himself as HC on the interim I believe , but the the extra pay check must have been too enticing for him to give up . So now he has created the mess he's in because of it. IMO he would be better off if he appointed Chap as interim HC and fired himself immediately . That way he could focus on just being GM where he has done wellin the past .
That would make sense for the rest of the year but I think the Als would be wiser to go with Thorpe for the rest of the year. He's earned it there.

Chap should have been given the OC job in Montreal and brought Cavillo along. Cavillo was not ready and had no mentor as well. Popp knows nothing about coaching offence.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
pennw
Legend

Thorpe would be a good choice , but then they would lose a good DC , and their D is the only part of their team that is any good. That is why I suggested Chap . IMO chap may actually make a good HC , but of course to your point , Thorpe may be a more respected member of that team.
At any rate it is looking like a good draft pick for BC.
DJeffery
Rookie

pennw wrote:At any rate it is looking like a good draft pick for BC.
The latest CFL scouting bureau rankings have the number 2 pick as Kwaku Boateng of Wilfrid Laurier.
Blitz
Team Captain

DJeffery wrote:
pennw wrote:At any it is looking like a good draft pick for BC.
The latest CFL scouting bureau rankings have the number 2 pick as Kwaku Boateng of Wilfrid Laurier.
The ratings will change as the football season progresses and the Combine results are also completed but a defensive lineman would be a great choice if Boyko signs here.

Boateng looks very good. He has a blend of speed, power, agility, technique and smarts.

Another player who could be very worthy next season is Eli Ankou. He is 6'3", 325 pounds, plays for UCLA, and he is a big, strong, athletic nose tackle type. He may have to drop some pounds for the CFL if he plays here in the future.

Another defensive lineman on the radar should be Faith Ekakitie. He is 6-foot-3, 290-pounds, and plays for Ohio.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Interesting question. It would be unfair to the Lions to lose a draft pick they acquired from the Als. If the Als do in fact go over the SMS to the extent they are to lose a 1st round pick, that should now carry over to the 2018 1st round pick.

Essentially you can't take away something the Als don't now own as a result of a trade. You also shouldn't de-value the loss of a pick due to an SMS violation from a 1st round to a 2nd round.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Blue In BC wrote:Interesting question. It would be unfair to the Lions to lose a draft pick they acquired from the Als. If the Als do in fact go over the SMS to the extent they are to lose a 1st round pick, that should now carry over to the 2018 1st round pick.
That's the way it works. They would lose the 1st available Montreal 1st round pick they possess. They don't have their 2017 pick so would lose their 2018 1st rounder. If they happened to deal the 2018 1st it would then be their 2019 1st.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Blitz
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Blue In BC wrote:Interesting question. It would be unfair to the Lions to lose a draft pick they acquired from the Als. If the Als do in fact go over the SMS to the extent they are to lose a 1st round pick, that should now carry over to the 2018 1st round pick.
That's the way it works. They would lose the 1st available Montreal 1st round pick they possess. They don't have their 2017 pick so would lose their 2018 1st rounder. If they happened to deal the 2018 1st it would then be their 2019 1st.
I don't think they would be allowed to deal their 2018 pick.

Popp really should have stepped down in the off-season. In fact, he should not have fired Tom Higgins in the first place. The firing took place just after the Als had beaten our B.C. Lions. Yes, they were 3-5 at the time but they had also lost both starting quarterback Jonathan Crompton and backup Dan LeFevour to injuries in the opening game of that season.

Popp had wanted the job of HC but owner Wetenhall hired Higgins instead, wanting Popp to concentrate on his GM duties

It was the 4th time Popp had taken over the Als, dispite a career regular-season record of 16-20-0, with a 1-4 mark in playoff games.

Its a mess in Montreal with Popp as HC. Popp has now lost 15 of 21 games since he took over the Als as Head Coach. The offence can't score touchdowns. Players are frustrated and there is a lack of discipline and cohesion.

Popp's tirade in the dressing room after one of their losses earlier in the season did a lot of damage.

The Als would be better off if Popp stepped down now and they appointed an interim Head Coach. Thorpe or Chap make the most sense, as has been previously posted. Thorpe would have to continue to coach the defense if he took over.

But right now, it looks as if Popp will continue as Head Coach.
The season looks over for the Als but an interim Head Coach could provide a change that could get things moving in a more positive direction.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:I don't think they would be allowed to deal their 2018 pick.
Where I was coming from Blitz is that the Als have every right to do whatever they choose with that pick or any other future 1st rounders until such time as the CFL completes their 2016 season SMS audit and hands down the penalties, if any are to be assessed. At that point should Montreal exceed the magic $100K SMS number they would immediately forfeit the next Montreal 1st round pick they still possess.
Blitz
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Blitz wrote:I don't think they would be allowed to deal their 2018 pick.
Where I was coming from Blitz is that the Als have every right to do whatever they choose with that pick or any other future 1st rounders until such time as the CFL completes their 2016 season SMS audit and hands down the penalties, if any are to be assessed. At that point should Montreal exceed the magic $100K SMS number they would immediately forfeit the next Montreal 1st round pick they still possess.
Thanks Hambone. I better understand the process that will take place now.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

I had posted this as a response to David in the CFL Thread but this is the more appropriate place.

The penalties are clearly defined in the CFL Constitution. In re-reading it however I find that there is more to these penalties than I had originally thought.

Exceed cap by an amount less than or equal to $100K: Fine is in the amount of 100% for every dollar in excess of the cap limit. In other words exceed by $75K and fine is $75K. There is no loss of picks.

Exceed cap by an amount >$100K and less than or equal to $300K: Fine is same as above for the first $100K and 200% for every dollar in excess of the $100K. In other words exceed by $200K and fine is $100K for the first $100K + $200K for the second $100K for a total of $300K in fines. Net monetary effect is that extra $200K in salary actually costs the team $500K. The team would also "forfeit its next available first round College Draft pick".
NOTE: This is where I found there is more to meet the eye. The Member Club is also prohibited from trading any draft picks in any College Draft that takes place before a 1st round pick has been forfeited. (In the potential Montreal scenario that would mean the rest of their 2017 picks would be frozen). Also if the Member Club does not possess a 1st round pick in the next draft they will also forfeit its first available draft pick in each future draft until a 1st round pick is available. I take that to mean exceeding the cap by >$100K would cost Montreal their 2018 1st and 2017 2nd assuming they still own it. Had they not dealt the 2017 1st to BC it would be the only pick forfeited.

Exceed cap by an amount >$300K: Fine is same as the second example above for the first $300K plus 300% for any amount over $300K. That would be a total of $500K in fines on the first $300K plus $3 for every $1 over $300K. Draft pick penalties would be forfeiture of the club's next available 1st round pick and next available 2nd round pick. Similarly the club would be prohibited from trading any draft picks until such time as the 1st and 2nd picks have been forfeited. If the club doesn't possess 1st and 2nd round picks in the next College Draft they will also forfeit its first available pick (other than 1st round) in each future draft until a 1st and 2nd have been forfeited. Almost takes a lawyer to figure it out but I take it that in Montreal's current situation if they exceeded by $300K and still have their 2nd they would forfeit the 2017 2nd as half of the initial part of the compensation plus whatever their next 2017 pick is then would lose their 2018 first for a total of 3 picks lost.