Calgary @ BC - Game Journal and Post Game Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

pennw
Legend

DanoT wrote:
dat wrote:At the game last night. Pretty good energy from the crowd. On the negative side the three blocked punts were ridiculous. I thought here we go again like special teams fiasco last year. Looks like Benson missed a block on at least one of them. However unlike last year they didn't fold with the defence holding them in the game and the offence getting untracked in the second half. Thumbs up to Brooks, Biggie and Bazzie making big plays and of course Chris Rainey, Jennings and Jeremiah Johnson. Nice to see the Lions O line open holes and run out the clock at the end of the game. Good character win and a good job by Wally and coaches for keeping them engaged. I'm confident they'll get the blocking issues on punts sorted out. It's not always pretty but they got the W. Good job guys. Speaking of consistent posters on this forum I haven't seen a post from Mexico Lions Fan for awhile ?

DAT
Mexico Lion Fan announced last Dec. 2015, shortly after Tedford left the team, that he would no longer be posting here. Wally's return to behind the bench might also have had something to do with it, i don't remember the details.
He also happened to have , how should I word it? " - a "melt down" before he decided to leave . You could probably still find it if you searched posts by him in the late season .
David
Team Captain

dat wrote:On the negative side the three blocked punts were ridiculous. I thought here we go again like special teams fiasco last year. Looks like Benson missed a block on at least one of them.
And you can bet Jeff Reinebold, ever the innovative Special Teams coach, is licking his chops thinking of ways to get to Leone this Friday.

BTW, there was a very cool post-game 'game ball' segment from the Lions' locker room posted to bclions.com. Enjoy!

http://www.bclions.com/2016/06/25/all-a ... cker-room/

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Just wondering if the near touchdown for mMoore could of been a first down. I know its been talked about but any difinitive answer or explanation yet. Thnx BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Ballistic Bob wrote:Just wondering if the near touchdown for Moore could of been a first down. I know its been talked about but any difinitive answer or explanation yet. Thnx BB
I don't think you can challenge for a first down except on third down. It was a touchdown or second and goal from the 1. It wasn't a touchdown, so it was second and goal.
maxlion
Legend

Ballistic Bob wrote:Just wondering if the near touchdown for mMoore could of been a first down. I know its been talked about but any difinitive answer or explanation yet. Thnx BB
I was curious about that as well. Not sure about the rule in that case. I know that the ball can't be spotted between the goal line and the 1, but if the first down marker is between the goal line and the 1, can a team get a first down without getting a touchdown? It appeared to me that Moore made to the first down marker but was was short of the touchdown. Can you challenge the spot if the ball is automatically spotted on the 1?

edit: I see BC Fan partially answered this already. What if it was 3rd down?
pennw
Legend

maxlion wrote:
Ballistic Bob wrote:Just wondering if the near touchdown for mMoore could of been a first down. I know its been talked about but any difinitive answer or explanation yet. Thnx BB
I was curious about that as well. Not sure about the rule in that case. I know that the ball can't be spotted between the goal line and the 1, but if the first down marker is between the goal line and the 1, can a team get a first down without getting a touchdown? It appeared to me that Moore made to the first down marker but was was short of the touchdown. Can you challenge the spot if the ball is automatically spotted on the 1?

I thought you could get a first down between the goal line and the one .
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

pennw wrote:
maxlion wrote:

I thought you could get a first down between the goal line and the one .
Have to be able to otherwise anytime you're scrimmaging 1st down inside the 11 would become first and goal. I thought the zebras jumped too quickly on that one. I think instead of spotting the ball to where Moore was down and checking to see if 1st down was gained their mindset was nope, didn't get the TD so ball is at the 1. That yards may have been gained for 1st down I think slipped their minds. Certainly if it was a 1st and 10 situation from just outside the 10 where Moore was downed had to at least warrant a measurement.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
JohnHenry
Champion

While the 3 blocked punts was inexcusable, that should be an easy fix. It's not rocket science, just block the guy in front of you. :bang:

I thought Calgary really laid an egg. They had plenty of opportunities to put the Lions away but flubbed it up. I know it's early but that might be indicative of a coaching concern in Calgary? Does DD have the room? Not every hand-picked successor is guaranteed to be as successful as his mentor. :2cents:

Next time the Stamps might not be as charitable, so the Lions still need to pull up their socks. Establish the running game and the short-passing game. Take what the defence is giving you and pound it up the middle behind our thundering herd... :wave: .
cromartie
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:While the 3 blocked punts was inexcusable, that should be an easy fix. It's not rocket science, just block the guy in front of you. :bang:

I thought Calgary really laid an egg. They had plenty of opportunities to put the Lions away but flubbed it up. I know it's early but that might be indicative of a coaching concern in Calgary? Does DD have the room? Not every hand-picked successor is guaranteed to be as successful as his mentor. :2cents:

Next time the Stamps might not be as charitable, so the Lions still need to pull up their socks. Establish the running game and the short-passing game. Take what the defence is giving you and pound it up the middle behind our thundering herd... :wave: .
I tend to view the first two games of the season as extensions of the pre-season, honestly. The defenses should be ahead of the offenses and special team mistakes due to that area of your team being given the least amount of camp time with the most transient roster members are prone to happen.

Don't get these things straightened out by around game six, though and there are more substantive problems.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

JohnHenry wrote:While the 3 blocked punts was inexcusable, that should be an easy fix. It's not rocket science, just block the guy in front of you. :bang:

I talked to Leone after the game in Jimmy's Tap House. Very personable guy who seems to have a great attitude. I asked him about the blocks and what looked like a WTF hand gesture after the 3rd one. He seemed to take it all in stride. He said and I quote "we're trying some new things and have some things to work out". As Cromartie mentions these first two regular season games tend to be like an extension of the exhibition season. We tend to forget with roster turnover there are lots of new faces. Many of these new faces may be asked to play special teams roles for the first time. I believe the 3 blocks all came from the right side. Darius Allen was playing the line on the right side. This could be new territory for him. The first two blocks came through him. The 3rd looked like a case of the guys on the outside (Fraser I believe) trying to help to the inside giving Calgary's perimeter rusher a free path to Leone. IMO classic case of guys trying to do too much instead of focusing on their own responsibilities and trusting the guy beside them to do the same. It's definitely something that is easily fixable. They seemed to work it out at half-time.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Re Dave D in his debut ...

Tried some tricks. His team lacked resolve. Mark W's front four and blitzes caused his offence lots of trouble. Motion, fakes and alignments. Not a great debut for former quarterback and present HC and OC. It might not be a seamless transition for him.

Re the blocked punts ...

Amateur hour. Yes, easily fixed at half time. Then why not well prepared in TC and preseason and practice? This kind of schmozzle does not happen to the best prepared groups. Not the end of the world, of course. But if we had not pulled out a win for the ages, there would be much more scrutiny of this lack of preparedness.

Great, satisfying win. Jennings :thup: Rainey :thup: Mark W. :thup: Overall team morale, spirit and resolve brings full credit to Wally :thup:

Lots of heroes.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Re the blocked punts ...

Amateur hour. Yes, easily fixed at half time. Then why not well prepared in TC and preseason and practice? This kind of schmozzle does not happen to the best prepared groups. Not the end of the world, of course. But if we had not pulled out a win for the ages, there would be much more scrutiny of this lack of preparedness.
FWIW....was speaking with the father of one of the current players who is on the ST units. He said his son told him the current ST coach is the worst ST coach he has been coached by in his college & pro career (he's been on 3 CFL teams).
CardiacKid
Legend

Lions4ever wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Re the blocked punts ...

FWIW....was speaking with the father of one of the current players who is on the ST units. He said his son told him the current ST coach is the worst ST coach he has been coached by in his college & pro career (he's been on 3 CFL teams).
Wow....I think I know to whom you are referring.

Well, one can only hope things will get better cause it's hard to see how they could be any worse. I forget what TSN commentator said this (the panel, Rod B. or Duane F.) but you expect a team to get 3 punts blocked in a season, not a half of football.

Makes you wonder what does a coach who is the worst of whatever looks like? Treats players like crap?...not prepared?....practices useless stuff?....constantly changes their mind?....constantly changes player's responsibilities? Doesn't talk? Some or all of the above?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

In special-teams practices at training camp, Simmons and Wally were both heavily involved in on-field coaching. Simmons worked with the cover teams and Wally worked with the return teams. The return teams had a better day on Saturday.
CardiacKid
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:In special-teams practices at training camp, Simmons and Wally were both heavily involved in on-field coaching. Simmons worked with the cover teams and Wally worked with the return teams. The return teams had a better day on Saturday.
And how would you rate Simmons coaching abilities based on what you saw at training camp?