Cuts announced.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Released from roster:

DB Darious Lane (I)
DB Davarus Shores (I)
DB Dino Teague (I)
DB Brennan VanNistelrooy (N)

DL Jacques Smith (I)
DL Boyd Richardson (N)

OL Rogers Gaines (I)

OL Micah Hatchie (I)

WR Colin Lockett (I)
WR Uzoma Nwachukwu (I)

http://www.bclions.com/2016/06/12/bc-li ... june-12th/
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

No surprises on the list of cuts. Lane and Van Nistelrooy have been hurt.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

No surprises.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
CardiacKid
Legend

The two internationals, Gaines and Hatchie, who played right tackle were cut. Not sure which one of the two it was but I couldn't read their name or their number during the game because their hair was waaaaaay too long and bushy.

Hey I am totally live and let live but isn't something in the rule book about obscuring your name and number?

:rules: ?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

QB Greq McGhee (I)
OL T–Dre Player (N)
WR Terence Jeffers–Harris (I)

DB Royce Adams (I)
DB Chandler Fenner (I)
WR Kendrick Ings (I)
WR Derek Yachison (N)
LB Victor Aiyewa (I)
LB Auston Johnson (N)
K/P Tiernan Docherty (I)
The_Pauser
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:QB Greq McGhee (I)
OL T–Dre Player (N)

DB Royce Adams (I)
DB Chandler Fenner (I)
WR Kendrick Ings (I)
WR Derek Yachison (N)
LB Victor Aiyewa (I)
LB Auston Johnson (N)
K/P Tiernan Docherty (I)
That's it?

Wow, fewer big names than I expected. I guess T-Dre Player is a bit of a surprise. And cutting McGhee when Price has been awful is a bit of a surprise. Disappointed they dumped Fenner. I felt he performed very well at camp from what I saw.
Roar you Lions roar!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

No surprises there.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The_Pauser wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:QB Greq McGhee (I)
OL T–Dre Player (N)

DB Royce Adams (I)
DB Chandler Fenner (I)
WR Kendrick Ings (I)
WR Derek Yachison (N)
LB Victor Aiyewa (I)
LB Auston Johnson (N)
K/P Tiernan Docherty (I)
That's it?

Wow, fewer big names than I expected. I guess T-Dre Player is a bit of a surprise. And cutting McGhee when Price has been awful is a bit of a surprise. Disappointed they dumped Fenner. I felt he performed very well at camp from what I saw.
^^Agree. McGhee was not given much of a chance in pre season games. Price has more CFL experience but doesn't look game ready. Maybe it comes down to who would be the better short yardage QB.

With Vaillancourt getting to start that put either Player or Fabien on the bubble. Might the Lions try to sign Player to the PR and then try to trade Fabien, then put Player back on the roster? I just think that this might be the beginning of the end for Fabien as a Lion if some other team shows interest.

Perhaps Fenner is another PR player.

Sounds like Purifoy might be the Nickel Back and maybe Steven Clarke the DI backup DB.
Blitz
Team Captain

I am disappointed that we kept Price over McGhee. Certainly Price was given his opportunities during the two exhibition games and fared poorly while McGhee was just given some mop up reps. I guess the coaches liked Price over McGhee during training camp and his poor exhibition play was not much of a factor.

I am also disappointed but realistic that Terrance Jeffers-Harris did not make the team. Like Geroy Simon, I really thought Jeffer-Harris had the tools...a tall, big receiver who could get open and was fearless over the middle...and with Hawkins gone he had a very good opportunity....but he dropped two key footballs in last night's game, including a sure touchdown...not the way to impress ones' bosses.

Not surprised about T-Dre Player. He was undersized at guard and with the added depth this season, he was on the bubble. Kirby Fabian looked so good early with our Leos but his knee reconstruction surgery is a major obstacle to overcome. Fabian was an offensive lineman who looked like he could become a dominant player but now he is relegated to a backup role at present.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Blitz wrote:I am disappointed that we kept Price over McGhee. Certainly Price was given his opportunities during the two exhibition games and fared poorly while McGhee was just given some mop up reps. I guess the coaches liked Price over McGhee during training camp and his poor exhibition play was not much of a factor.

I am also disappointed but realistic that Terrance Jeffers-Harris did not make the team. Like Geroy Simon, I really thought Jeffer-Harris had the tools...a tall, big receiver who could get open and was fearless over the middle...and with Hawkins gone he had a very good opportunity....but he dropped two key footballs in last night's game, including a sure touchdown...not the way to impress ones' bosses.

Not surprised about T-Dre Player. He was undersized at guard and with the added depth this season, he was on the bubble. Kirby Fabian looked so good early with our Leos but his knee reconstruction surgery is a major obstacle to overcome. Fabian was an offensive lineman who looked like he could become a dominant player but now he is relegated to a backup role at present.
It wouldn't surprise me to see McGhee offered a PR spot. While for the most part TJH, who turns 28 on Friday, has done all that can be done in his 2 training camps was likely beaten out by the youth and upside of Brown and Boldewijn. Interesting though that as of this moment while the rest of the names have been removed from the BC roster TJH remains listed.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
pennw
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Blitz wrote:I am disappointed that we kept Price over McGhee. Certainly Price was given his opportunities during the two exhibition games and fared poorly while McGhee was just given some mop up reps. I guess the coaches liked Price over McGhee during training camp and his poor exhibition play was not much of a factor.

It wouldn't surprise me to see McGhee offered a PR spot. While for the most part TJH, who turns 28 on Friday, has done all that can be done in his 2 training camps was likely beaten out by the youth and upside of Brown and Boldewijn. Interesting though that as of this moment while the rest of the names have been removed from the BC roster TJH remains listed.
I'm looking forward to see Bolewijn make the team as I think that he showed very good potential to be a dominant receiver when he got his one chance late last season to show his stuff. He did not disappoint . I also think Bryon Burnham is a very good and under-rated receiver .Not sure why some seem to have a low opinion of him , the guy never drops a catchable ball . So while I agree on Jeffers-Harris being very good , he was in tough to make the team . There was a lot of depth at receiver even after Hawkins left . Now if only there was similar depth at rush end .
CardiacKid
Legend

I was thinking if Ings goes, Jeffers-Harris stays and vice versa. But I guess Brown's performance last night made the difference and he vaulted between them. As for Player, someone on the O-line was on the bubble as soon as the Leo's drafted Vaillancourt and Guy.

Hopefully the early announcement by the Lions of their cuts helps McGhee get a jump on a job elsewhere if there is no PR spot offered. I'm thinking the Leo's would be exceptionally foolish to not have a QB on the PR...sounds like it should be Price in that position.

I'm glad Turner was not jettisoned because of injury; I am hopeful he can help elevate the d-line. They could use the help based on last night.

Speaking of help, the Special Teams needs it....maybe Marcello Simmons needs to provide a "hairdryer" treatment to the third team or Wally going on the record saying so-and-so was cut based purely on poor teams play. Something needs to be done to reverse last night's slide......
The_Pauser
Legend

I'll be interested in seeing what Montreal does. If they release Bridge or Cato I'd much prefer one of them over Price as our 3.
Roar you Lions roar!
The_Pauser
Legend

On the BC Lions roster page I count 62 players listed. Something seems off here...I guess 10 will be moved to the PR and 6 on to the IR?
Roar you Lions roar!
pennw
Legend

The_Pauser wrote:I'll be interested in seeing what Montreal does. If they release Bridge or Cato I'd much prefer one of them over Price as our 3.
I think the Riders are going to be scooping a QB or two and may be beat BC to the punch on that one , should the Als release a QB . Of course the Riders may pick up Mcghee too. But then are the Als in any shape to be releasing any QB's ?