2016 CFL Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Alputt
Champion

Clicked over to check out the "other" Toronto game and I see that Milanovich has benched Willy finally. Not sure Drew Willy is really deserves to be a starting QB... He leaves Winnipeg and their season turns around, he lands in Toronto and they hit the skids. I wonder of the seemingly suicidal decision to dump they core receivers was because of dissent around his leadership? Pure speculation.

Sask looking good unfortunately.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Announced crowd of 15,023 at BMO this afternoon.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Duron Carter and Ken Stafford released by Alouettes

http://www.tsn.ca/receivers-carter-staf ... s-1.586664
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

maxlion wrote:
Alputt wrote:Quite the battle going on back east between Ottawa and Hamilton. Entertaining game, but time to he ad down to BC Place!

Seems like the storm has cleared or at least we are in the eye of it... See you at the game! Roar!
More controversy on a fumble, very similar to last week. Took an easy way out and ruled an incomplete pass on what appeared to be a clear reception and fumble. Wonder how they'll spin this.
To their credit (sort of) they didn't try to spin it but rather, admitted what was obvious to the rest of the world, it was a catch and fumble. How you keep doing this with the benefit of video replay is just astounding.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I think that the phrase "insufficient evidence to overturn" is at the root of the Command Centre problem as it creates a built in bias toward favouring the refs original call. So actually it is easier to get a favourable decision out of the CC if the challenge involves a non call or missed call. In other words if the challenge involves the CC admitting that the refs should not have thrown a flag....forget about getting it overturned on a challenge.

Solution to the problem: replace "insufficient evidence" with "common sense".
maxlion
Legend

More changes in Mtl...Carter and Stafford released, Vernon Adams to start next game. Will Carter get picked up by another team? My guess is no.

edit: apparently neither are eligible to play in 2016, so their seasons are over.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

maxlion wrote:... Vernon Adams to start next game.
JC was an idiot not to put him the second half of last game. Kind of like leaving in a goalie after he gives up 7 goals in two periods.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Blitz
Team Captain

maxlion wrote:More changes in Mtl...Carter and Stafford released, Vernon Adams to start next game. Will Carter get picked up by another team? My guess is no.

edit: apparently neither are eligible to play in 2016, so their seasons are over.
They needed to both be gone. I wrote that last week. Chap waited too long but I guess he thought he might change them.

Cato also needs to go. He's a head case too. But they will probably keep him as the backup for the rest of this season and then get rid of him too.

Another head case is Montreal's special teams coach. He needs to be gone too.

Chap really likes Adams from earlier reports this season. I was surprised Chap didn't start him last game or put him in during the second half, as KnowItAll stated.

But I guess Chap thought he could win 'right now' with Cato more than he could with Adams, who he saw as developmental for the future. The future is now.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
maxlion
Legend

Blitz wrote:
Not sure I agree with this part. What makes you say this?
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I was puzzled as to why Adams was not inserted in the last game. In hindsight maybe Chaps was already fed up with Carter and Stafford and saw them dogging it hoping they could get Cato benched. That could have been the final straw and Chaps right after the game went to upper management requesting the release of the 2 players. While this may seem far fetched, it is less so within the context of the tire fire that is the Als organization going back to the strange hiring and firing of Higgins last season.

Between the Argos releasing 4 receivers and the Als 2, has there ever been so many talented baggage toting players on the market before?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I agree with Blitz that Cato will be gone at the end of the season.
Blitz
Team Captain

maxlion wrote:
Blitz wrote:
Kavis Reed was the Assistant Head Coach to Jim Popp, before he was asked to relinquish his HC duties. Reed was an over the top advocate for Popp, likely because he knew Popp would step down at some point and Reed was ingratiating himself for the HC job.

One reason why I think it would be wise for Reed to be gone is no HC has wanted him around for long. Before joining Montreal, Reed was with Edmonton (HC) and prior to that he was an assistant with Edmonton, Winnipeg, Saskatchewan, Toronto, Hamilton, Ottawa, and Toronto. Some of those were due to HC changes.

Reed works the media more than focusing on his coaching as a priority. When Reed was fired in Edmonton, Hervey made it clear that he thought Reed spent too much time with the media rather than being more structured and detailed, in terms of his coaching.

I don't think he will handle it well if Chap or Thorpe gets to be the HC in Montreal. Reed thought he would be the 'next one' there. He did not reach out to Chap like Thorpe did when Chap was named Interim Head Coach.

But mostly I find Reed to be immature, sulky, petulant, volatile in terms of his coaching personality. Just my view of him. His 'speeches' to his players could make Benvedes look like Rock Knute in comparison and that is not a compliment to Benny Bumps either.

Here is a talk he is giving to his players in Edmonton.

"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
maxlion
Legend

Blitz wrote:
maxlion wrote:
Blitz wrote:
Kavis Reed was the Assistant Head Coach to Jim Popp, before he was asked to relinquish his HC duties. Reed was an over the top advocate for Popp, likely because he knew Popp would step down at some point and Reed was ingratiating himself for the HC job.

One reason why I think it would be wise for Reed to be gone is no HC has wanted him around for long. Before joining Montreal, Reed was with Edmonton (HC) and prior to that he was an assistant with Edmonton, Winnipeg, Saskatchewan, Toronto, Hamilton, Ottawa, and Toronto. Some of those were due to HC changes.

Reed works the media more than focusing on his coaching as a priority. When Reed was fired in Edmonton, Hervey made it clear that he thought Reed spent too much time with the media rather than being more structured and detailed, in terms of his coaching.

I don't think he will handle it well if Chap or Thorpe gets to be the HC in Montreal. Reed thought he would be the 'next one' there. He did not reach out to Chap like Thorpe did when Chap was named Interim Head Coach.

But mostly I find Reed to be immature, sulky, petulant, volatile in terms of his coaching personality. Just my view of him. His 'speeches' to his players could make Benvedes look like Rock Knute in comparison and that is not a compliment to Benny Bumps either.

Here is a talk he is giving to his players in Edmonton.

My impression is that he is intelligent with good leadership qualities and a high level of personal integrity.

Volatile, passionate--yes, perhaps too much so. Wouldn't be my first choice for a head coach. But a head case? Not even close.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Grey Cup tickets reduced

http://www.tsn.ca/argos-reduce-ticket-p ... p-1.587585

When the Argos first announced the pricing for the Grey Cup I thought it was way overpriced. Guess I was right. They're having trouble selling out the game.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Blitz wrote:They needed to both be gone. I wrote that last week. Chap waited too long but I guess he thought he might change them.
I think the trade deadline may have had something to do with the timing.. They probably had hoped to get some form of asset in return for these guys via trade prior to the deadline which was mid last week. With the deadline passing part way through the practice week they likely sucked it up for last week's game then cut the cord.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.