2016 CFL Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

And the Lions remain alone in first place after three weeks.

Two unbelievable overtime games on Friday Night Football. Ottawa and Calgary tie 26-26 and Edmonton defeats Saskatchewan 39-36 after blowing a 14-point fourth-quarter lead, then forcing overtime with a 51-yard Sean Whye field goal on the last play of the fourth quarter and finally stopping the Riders on a third and short gamble in OT. The TV ratings should be great for this week's games.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Questionable decision by Chris Jones to gamble on 3rd down. The safe play is to kick the field goal to force it into a second overtime.
J5V
Rookie

Over 900 people on the Riderfans forum right now. That's over 5 % of the number of people that were at the Lions game last night :(
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Two wildly entertaining games that the league needs plenty more of. Passing numbers of the 4 QBs tonight: 368, 396, 317 and 378. Take note Khari Jones.
Lions haven't thrown for over 300 yards in 1 game since early October of last season.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:Two wildly entertaining games that the league needs plenty more of. Passing numbers of the 4 QBs tonight: 368, 396, 317 and 378. Take note Khari Jones.
Lions haven't thrown for over 300 yards in 1 game since early October of last season.
Great stuff. CFL :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:Two wildly entertaining games that the league needs plenty more of. Passing numbers of the 4 QBs tonight: 368, 396, 317 and 378. Take note Khari Jones.
We were out at a casual pub for dinner at the time (not our choice..social obligation...would rather have been home). Bunch of TVs throughout the place. Not a single one had CFL on. Every TV was tuned to Blue Jays baseball.
jcalhoun
Starter

Lions4ever wrote:
We were out at a casual pub for dinner at the time (not our choice..social obligation...would rather have been home). Bunch of TVs throughout the place. Not a single one had CFL on. Every TV was tuned to Blue Jays baseball.
My sister has worked in pubs for years, and she's told me nobody comes in to watch CFL football. They have a big NFL crowd, some MLB (particularly in the playoffs), NHL, even golf fans. But nobody comes in for CFL. I no longer have cable, (and online streams are glitchy) so I used to wander into my local pub occasionally on game days. I'd always have to ask to put a game on. They always agree, but they do look at you like you're a bit of an oddball. I kid you not, once they switched over from a classic cricket game to the CFL for me.

When the coup is successful and I'm installed as dictator for life, one of the things we're going to do is reach out to pub managers. We'll find a promotion that works, be it a beer special or swag giveaways, tickets, etc. And then we'll stick with it. We'd also go into a few dozen pubs, and provide jerseys for the staff --particularly the waitresses. My sister used to have three NFL jerseys (not official ones....sorta medium quality) cut for women, provided by Budweiser. All the waitresses used to wear them on weekends, and they *loved* them --mostly because they were durable, comfortable and easy to wash. It was a great advertisement for their NFL promotions.

But as with so much of the Leo's marketing, we can't really be sure if they've considered this and rejected it, can't afford it, or it has simply never occurred to them. It's frustrating from a fan's perspective when one sees all the things the league could do, but doesn't.

James
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

We were at a Japanese restaurant (Minami) in Yaletown for our pregame meal. They had both the Blue Jays and Hamilton and Winnipeg games on.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I have had this battle too. I simply can't understand when a pub which has literally a dozen TV's can't seem to find space for one or two for CFL games. Unacceptable for a sports bar.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:I have had this battle too. I simply can't understand when a pub which has literally a dozen TV's can't seem to find space for one or two for CFL games. Unacceptable for a sports bar.
our local boston pizza always has a couple of tvs on for cfl, specially but not only the lions.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Man, what a drop off in attendance for the Argos second game at BMO Field. The one upper deck looks basically empty. Yes, a Wednesday night is hardly idea but it comes with baseball in its all-star break and is a rather early season marquee match up between two division rivals.

Toronto and Vancouver are the league's two greatest concerns and the gap to the next team is significant.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:Man, what a drop off in attendance for the Argos second game at BMO Field. The one upper deck looks basically empty. Yes, a Wednesday night is hardly idea but it comes with baseball in its all-star break and is a rather early season marquee match up between two division rivals.

Toronto and Vancouver are the league's two greatest concerns and the gap to the next team is significant.
The official attendance was 12,373.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Another ho-hum night for Trevor Harris against that Argos defence 28/32 for 392 yards passing. Now 1,083 yards in the air thru 3.5 games and a 143 rating.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:Man, what a drop off in attendance for the Argos second game at BMO Field. The one upper deck looks basically empty. Yes, a Wednesday night is hardly idea but it comes with baseball in its all-star break and is a rather early season marquee match up between two division rivals.

That's pathetic.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:

That's pathetic.
Shocking! Their BMO honeymoon was shorter than when the Lions returned to BC Place in 2011 and went from 50,000 plus down to 30,000 for their next game.

And their next home game is on a Monday too. What the hell are they thinking? What happened to better date selections than the Rogers Centre?