2016 All Things Lions Marketing & Promotions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

J5V wrote:Pretty small crowd will be at BC Place tonight. Sad considering it is a grey and drizzly summer night and they're playing in a world class indoor/outdoor stadium. Couldn't the Lions come up with anything creative for this Thursday night tilt ? Tickets are just simply too expensive to attract the family crowd. Should have extended the opening night $5 promotion for kids for this game too. With the 2-0 start I think this would have had a really decent response tonight.
Thursday against an Eastern team was always going to be a tough sell for walk up. This is where their smaller season ticket base is really exposed. They do need to be more creative. Those $83 coaches sideline seats on the periphery have become a tough sell. That use to be a cheaper price category (gold) until they moved back to BC Place in 2011.
CardiacKid
Legend

Anyone heard anything about the Sunday bbq near the Surrey facility? We haven't heard much other than meet the players and have a hotdog. I am mostly wondering if any alumni will be attending; I have some more autographs to get signed on my signature jersey.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

CardiacKid wrote:Anyone heard anything about the Sunday bbq near the Surrey facility? We haven't heard much other than meet the players and have a hotdog. I am mostly wondering if any alumni will be attending; I have some more autographs to get signed on my signature jersey.
Got the invite but only looked at it to find the RSVP link to say I wouldn't be there.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

SammyGreene wrote:
J5V wrote:Pretty small crowd will be at BC Place tonight. Sad considering it is a grey and drizzly summer night and they're playing in a world class indoor/outdoor stadium. Couldn't the Lions come up with anything creative for this Thursday night tilt ? Tickets are just simply too expensive to attract the family crowd. Should have extended the opening night $5 promotion for kids for this game too. With the 2-0 start I think this would have had a really decent response tonight.
Thursday against an Eastern team was always going to be a tough sell for walk up. This is where their smaller season ticket base is really exposed. They do need to be more creative. Those $83 coaches sideline seats on the periphery have become a tough sell. That use to be a cheaper price category (gold) until they moved back to BC Place in 2011.
Still lots of seats available for under $30.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
LakeLions
Rookie

Thursday night games really are not great for the Lions attendance. I'd suggest that's because the team is pulling so much from the interior/island/Fraser valley - which is hardly a novel idea - but it's been really bad for the team.

I know TSN is pushing hard for it, with a doubleheader today, but IMO the Lions need to push exceedingly hard to not get many of them. And I know this year's schedule is better than last year's
footballtom
Rookie

LakeLions wrote:Thursday night games really are not great for the Lions attendance. I'd suggest that's because the team is pulling so much from the interior/island/Fraser valley - which is hardly a novel idea - but it's been really bad for the team.

I know TSN is pushing hard for it, with a doubleheader today, but IMO the Lions need to push exceedingly hard to not get many of them. And I know this year's schedule is better than last year's

Very hard sell indeed look at all the blue dots I hope they get at least 20,000
Qman
Champion

Mid week games are not do-able anymore here ... traffic is soo bad.

My seats are sitting empty tonight. got home and just didn't want to fight traffic again to get to the game.
Sitting on the couch in HD with a couple cold beers.

Skulsky has to stand up to TSN and say thursday's don't work here anymore. This would have drawn way more people to BCPlace and on TV +100,000 if it was on Saturday at 4pm.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Qman wrote:Mid week games are not do-able anymore here ... traffic is soo bad.

My seats are sitting empty tonight. got home and just didn't want to fight traffic again to get to the game.
Sitting on the couch in HD with a couple cold beers.

Skulsky has to stand up to TSN and say thursday's don't work here anymore. This would have drawn way more people to BCPlace and on TV +100,000 if it was on Saturday at 4pm.
TSN is paying the CFL big $ and thus gets to have a major say in the scheduling so really there is no "standing up to TSN" without some kind of leverage or bargaining chip.

The Lions did get to mostly play on the road during the middle of summer when Lions home games are a tough sell.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
I don't really get this "Eastern team" thing. There are only 8 other cities in this league. Half of them are "eastern". And this isn't some anonymous city. This is Toronto. Most people have probably heard of it. Weird.
Qman
Champion

the eastern teams are a terrible draw here.

In in the glory days of mid-80s when the lions drew 50,000 .... they would still draw 28k of OTT and 30k for HAM.
BC 1988
Legend

Lions4ever wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:
I don't really get this "Eastern team" thing. There are only 8 other cities in this league. Half of them are "eastern". And this isn't some anonymous city. This is Toronto. Most people have probably heard of it. Weird.
There are always more supporters showing up for Lions games from the West clubs--it's pretty rare to see many East fans with team gear. I moved here from the East in 1988, and it hasn't changed much in all that time. The increased gate for Western matchups is entirely due to the transplants from CGY, EDM, SSK, and WPG (even when they were nominally in the East).
CardiacKid
Legend

Familiarity breeds contempt. Contempt motivates. I would much rather see the Lions beat the crap out of the Eskimoes than win pretty over an eastern club. And that feeling only gets amplified by the fact we play our western rivals more often during the season.
Qman
Champion

CardiacKid wrote:Familiarity breeds contempt. Contempt motivates. I would much rather see the Lions beat the crap out of the Eskimoes than win pretty over an eastern club. And that feeling only gets amplified by the fact we play our western rivals more often during the season.
i think its all the transplants especially for SSK and EDM
Qman
Champion

I would like to point out that TSN is showing showing sweet F*** all right now at 4pm on saturday.

We could have had 20,000+ plus and 800,000+ on TV right now vs the argonauts
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Qman wrote:I would like to point out that TSN is showing showing sweet F*** all right now at 4pm on saturday.

We could have had 20,000+ plus and 800,000+ on TV right now vs the argonauts
The Whitecaps have a home game tonight (Saturday) so Thursday was probably the only available date for B.C. Place this week. In fact, the Whitecaps have four home games in 11 days, including two straight Saturdays, and a road game on the following Saturday, July 23, which I believe will also be televised on TSN1.That's part of the reason that the Lions will go five weeks between home games.