2016 Training Camp Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

dodger
Rookie

Took in practice this afternoon. Lots of running thru of plays and only a bit of scrimmaging. McGhee stood out for me. Had some good reads and threw accurate passes. A couple were very nice, dropping in over the coverage right into the hands of the receiver. Leone continues to impress me with his booming high punts. They had Docherty doing all the kickoffs. He was getting them to the 5, but his punting was quite poor not much height.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Dusty
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:Day 10 of training camp

http://www.bclions.com/2016/06/07/train ... -day-10-2/
The injury report on that link lists Phillips as a Safety. I hope that is a typo and not an intention....
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Dusty wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Day 10 of training camp

http://www.bclions.com/2016/06/07/train ... -day-10-2/
The injury report on that link lists Phillips as a Safety. I hope that is a typo and not an intention....
Phillips is playing his usual wide-side halfback position. It's a veteran secondary with few changes. Brandon Stewart brings a lot of experience to Phillips' side as cornerback, and fellow FA acquisition Mike Edem is taking first-team reps at safety ahead of Eric Fraser, who has also looked good. Steven Clarke is still an unknown quantity at nickelback but he looked good beside Phillips in the secondary last year. The only veteran besides Fraser who is being challenged is T.J. Lee, who plays the difficult short-side halfback position.
David
Team Captain

Hoping you guys at Kamloops can pass on some info or observations about Boseko Lokombo. I am anticipating Washington to expand his duties and packages this year and expecting big things from him, yet I haven't once read his name in any reports (maybe because linebackers have to, you know, HIT people and it's mostly light contact?).

Do you have any insights?

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:Hoping you guys at Kamloops can pass on some info or observations about Boseko Lokombo. I am anticipating Washington to expand his duties and packages this year and expecting big things from him, yet I haven't once read his name in any reports (maybe because linebackers have to, you know, HIT people and it's mostly light contact?).

Do you have any insights?

I saw a total of three practices, one of which was devoted to special-teams only, but it looks like Lokombo is being used as he was last year in certain second-down packages. I didn't pay close attention to the substitutions but I believe he replaces a lineman in passing situations. I noticed him only in pass coverage in the flats.
CardiacKid
Legend

dodger wrote:Took in practice this afternoon. Lots of running thru of plays and only a bit of scrimmaging. McGhee stood out for me. Had some good reads and threw accurate passes. A couple were very nice, dropping in over the coverage right into the hands of the receiver. Leone continues to impress me with his booming high punts. They had Docherty doing all the kickoffs. He was getting them to the 5, but his punting was quite poor not much height.
Has Leone done much work on his place kicking? If so, how has it looked?
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

CardiacKid wrote:
dodger wrote:Took in practice this afternoon. Lots of running thru of plays and only a bit of scrimmaging. McGhee stood out for me. Had some good reads and threw accurate passes. A couple were very nice, dropping in over the coverage right into the hands of the receiver. Leone continues to impress me with his booming high punts. They had Docherty doing all the kickoffs. He was getting them to the 5, but his punting was quite poor not much height.
Has Leone done much work on his place kicking? If so, how has it looked?

Lu gives his opinion on Leone at 3 Down Nation:
http://3downnation.com/
dodger
Rookie

took in both practices today. Lokumbo was on the sidelines for the first practice and didn't see him for the second practice. Have only seen Leone do punting the last two days. Lulay looked good in scrimmage today making a couple of good passes to Moore and Arceneaux. Lots of work on short yardage and goal line offense.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
CardiacKid wrote:Has Leone done much work on his place kicking? If so, how has it looked?
Lu gives his opinion on Leone at 3 Down Nation:
http://3downnation.com/
That's a good read. There's nothing wrong with Leone's leg. Wally had him kicking field goals from 57 yards with no wind the other day. They all reached the end zone, even though most didn't go through the uprights. It's just his mental approach to the game that needed work. He hit his first 12 field goal attempts as a rookie, then lost his confidence.
“Last year on some of the kicks that missed bad I was focusing on a little aspect and everything else leaves…I was just trying to survive, whereas this year I’m focusing on ball contact.”
It sounds like he has the right focus this year, with the help of kicking coach Don Sweet. Some of Paul McCallum's best seasons as a field goal kicker came toward the end of his career. I expect to see better accuracy from Leone this year, even if Wally lets him try to kick from beyond the 50-yard line.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Estimates of his punts one day last week, though aided mightily by a prairie-style headwind, were upwards of 70 yards.
Not to nitpick LU too much, but I think that might be a tailwind. A headwind would knock the kick down.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Lions4ever wrote:
Estimates of his punts one day last week, though aided mightily by a prairie-style headwind, were upwards of 70 yards.
Not to nitpick LU too much, but I think that might be a tailwind. A headwind would knock the kick down.
Yup. It was definitely a tailwind. I joked with a Rider fan who was there that day with some other Lion fans (all local Kamloops folks) that it was good prep for games out in Regina.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

Lions4ever wrote:Not to nitpick LU too much, but I think that might be a tailwind. A headwind would knock the kick down.
Haha, I caught that too. If Richie could kick 70 yards into a headwind, he could fill in his own number on a blank contract for any one of 32 NFL teams.

LU always gets infer/imply wrong too, but we love him anyway. :wink:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
maxlion
Legend

Lions4ever wrote:Not to nitpick LU too much, but I think that might be a tailwind. A headwind would knock the kick down.
Not only that, but "the ball was almost blown at an 90-degree angle", which according to LU is "not an old wive’s tale".

I also had to laugh at Leone referring to "study and work and mechanics" as "mumbo-jumbo".