Lions in the local media (REVIVED thread 6-10-20)

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Qman wrote:
dawg3648 wrote:16,459? How you getting that number Qman? Enquiring minds have to know!
There are only 10,541 seats remaining on the lions website pick-a-seat for season tickets.
I don't know if that's a fair interpretation of the numbers displayed on the website. For example, some seats may be unavailable for a full season because someone has bought a 3-game pack, or some may be reserved for group sales. But in looking at the Virtual Venue, there seems to have been good uptake on the new $25 tickets in the upper rows of the lower bowl so that's a positive sign.
Qman
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Qman wrote:
dawg3648 wrote:16,459? How you getting that number Qman? Enquiring minds have to know!
There are only 10,541 seats remaining on the lions website pick-a-seat for season tickets.
I don't know if that's a fair interpretation of the numbers displayed on the website. For example, some seats may be unavailable for a full season because someone has bought a 3-game pack, or some may be reserved for group sales. But in looking at the Virtual Venue, there seems to have been good uptake on the new $25 tickets in the upper rows of the lower bowl so that's a positive sign.
i don't think they allocate 3packs/flex packs yet, usually not until june before singles go on sale. Full seasons have priority
David
Team Captain

dawg3648 wrote:I'm sorry but, at best, I can only see the MLS as being a fringe sport in NA moving forward. Yea, yea its the World game blah, blah and we should be catching up with everyone else. Either that or how about no thanks soccer we already have four or five sports that are of superior entertainment to your beautifully boring game. And we'll take a pass, again thanks, just like last time.
I like soccer, but have a hard time with MLS "supporters" (the faux-British kind with skinny jeans and a beard - and a scarf in July - that works in the tech sector, drinks craft beer, and rides to games from Main Street in a Car2Go) that would sneer at the CFL as being a low form of entertainment. And trust me, they do exist among some TFC and Whitecaps groups. I watch MLS highlights in wide-eyed amazement that their league evokes such a strong reaction. I mean, a Seattle Sounders goal is met with fan celebrations like V-J Day in Times Square; like the end of World War II was declared, with fans jumping up and down and hugging each other. I'm thinking like, what am I missing here? Hello?? Get a grip people, it's the MLS.

I say this with a certain degree of envy, although I question the authenticity of some. I think part of the over-the-top support stems from mimicking the top-tier European leagues; the other part is that primal need to belong or fit in with a group - so you go overboard and act silly because everyone else is and you want to show that you're "one of them."

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
David
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:Has Mayenecht joined Weber on the Whitecaps payroll? Up until a couple of years ago Lions season ticket based was >17,0000 and I didn't recall any comparisons to the Canucks then nor when it was 24,000 during the height of the club's resurgence under Bob Ackles from 2005-2008. Ridiculous.
Yes, Mayenecht can get really annoying with his "business of sport" (one "s," not two), his "heritage brands" Marketing speak (a fancy way of saying the "Original Six"), and his worship of soccer and the NFL. His hard-on for the Whitecaps is likely due to being an Advisor of Marketing and Communications for Fortius Sport & Health. It just so happens that the Whitecaps are their Official Sport Therapy Provid​er. He claims to be a Lions season ticket holder, although I haven't seen him at a game in years, and almost never talks CFL on his show (not enough zeroes in the pay cheques).

Surprisingly, Bro Jake and Pratt did their show yesterday from the Waterboys breakfast (a kind of kick-off event for the year in front of 150 members....this Waterboys endeavor still appears to be quite successful). That was the good news - they talked Lions and CFL for 4 hours. The bad news is that their sole focus was speculating on whether Johnny Manziel would play up here. Ugggh! And as Pratt reminded everyone for 4 straight hours to drive home the point that this is actually a good idea, "the Lions LOST 80,000 fans last year and TV ratings are DOWN."

Just shoot me.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
dawg3648
Rookie

David wrote:
dawg3648 wrote:I'm sorry but, at best, I can only see the MLS as being a fringe sport in NA moving forward. Yea, yea its the World game blah, blah and we should be catching up with everyone else. Either that or how about no thanks soccer we already have four or five sports that are of superior entertainment to your beautifully boring game. And we'll take a pass, again thanks, just like last time.
I like soccer, but have a hard time with MLS "supporters" (the faux-British kind with skinny jeans and a beard - and a scarf in July - that works in the tech sector, drinks craft beer, and rides to games from Main Street in a Car2Go) that would sneer at the CFL as being a low form of entertainment. And trust me, they do exist among some TFC and Whitecaps groups. I watch MLS highlights in wide-eyed amazement that their league evokes such a strong reaction. I mean, a Seattle Sounders goal is met with fan celebrations like V-J Day in Times Square; like the end of World War II was declared, with fans jumping up and down and hugging each other. I'm thinking like, what am I missing here? Hello?? Get a grip people, it's the MLS.

I say this with a certain degree of envy, although I question the authenticity of some. I think part of the over-the-top support stems from mimicking the top-tier European leagues; the other part is that primal need to belong or fit in with a group - so you go overboard and act silly because everyone else is and you want to show that you're "one of them."

Bang on David! Nail on head! And I'm quite sure a majority of these supporters never even followed sports prior to becoming "craft-beer swigging, scarf-wearing, beard-oiling Euro wannabees"...Caps games are now a hipster-style church without the religion for these posers. Just my opinion of course. But I think I am pretty damn close to nailing it! Haha...Cheers
SammyGreene
Team Captain

dawg3648 wrote:
David wrote:

Bang on David! Nail on head! And I'm quite sure a majority of these supporters never even followed sports prior to becoming "craft-beer swigging, scarf-wearing, beard-oiling Euro wannabees"...Caps games are now a hipster-style church without the religion for these posers. Just my opinion of course. But I think I am pretty damn close to nailing it! Haha...Cheers

LMAO. Great stuff gentleman. Last night was another reminder of what the Whitecaps fine residency program has developed since 2010 when 87th ranked Canada is absolutely schooled by the 22nd ranked Mexican team and not one homegrown Whitecap was good enough to make the 24 man Canadian roster. Six years not long enough I guess? Tell that to the 20-year-old Mexican who lit up the Canadian backline on the 2nd goal.
Caps with one fringe Canadian starter at right back but doing their part to help CONCACAF rivals with 3 established Americans and 2 Costa Ricans in the starting 11.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Talked to a buddy who attended yesterday's game. Said he was "disappointed" that Canada lost. Get a grip on reality. How many REALLY expected Canada to win ?
Matt Baker
Rookie

SammyGreene wrote:Stopped subscribing to the Province the week after LU retired. Ed Willes is the only one left that is interested in the CFL. Ewen and Tsumura have their previous favourite beats still and the Lions are nothing more to them than doing assignments. Weber is a Whitecaps cheer boy as is their digital sports editor (Patrick Johnson?) who cuts down the Lions/CFL when he has a chance. Could care less about a team in a 10th tier soccer league that is all giddy about increasing their "capacity" to 22,000 in a 54,000 stadium.

I blame TSN 1040's lack of Lions coverage squarely on the shoulders of Rintoul and Marjonovich. These are two guys with football backgrounds as players and recent coaches yet do nothing beyond what they are told to do when it comes to the Lions. Neither provides any "inside" info or breaking news yet Rintoul is also the Lions play-by-play guy sadly. Compare that to Pete Schaad who also hosts a Whitecaps radio show, one of two the Caps get weekly where the Lions get nothing.

Rintoul is actually more of a Seahawks fan as one of the leaders of the Vancouver 12th Man chapter. It's a joke how he and Moj do a pre and post game show from Seattle during every home game. I'm sure they can provide far more insight than just picking up the ESPN Seattle feed or is to get media passes for the games?

They both have the same backgrounds as Farhan Lalji and it's not even close who provides the better "inside" Lions stuff.

Lions would be far better off if 1040 freelanced the play-by-play job to Jim Mullin who knows the CFL and CIS game so well.

The reason 1040 did pre game shows before every Seahawks game is simple: It is because an advertiser ( I think King of Floors) ponied up thousands of dollars to have their name used as the title sponsor to all the Seahawks and NFL coverage on the station. That;s it. I wouldn't take it personally....
LakeLions
Rookie

Lions4ever wrote:
LakeLions wrote:Have any of you guys considered that it's smack in the middle of the Lions off-season
Yes. That's exactly what the first sentence of the first post on this thread says, if you'd read it.

Haha. So you've spent three full pages complaining about something that you answered in your first comment, then?

Look, there's a six-month offseason in the CFL. The last Lions game was in early November. The next meaningful game is in late June (with apologies to the preseason). That's a long period of time with not much happening. Yet you're complaining about a lack of coverage - and I'm suggesting that lengthy offseason is a big part why. Add in media that - across the board - has been cut and slimmed-down, and you simply don't have the resources to cover the signing of two defensive tackles from obscure southern schools who may or may not make the team. Province and the Sun have to choose where to allocate resources now, same for the radio stations, and four months into a six month offseason isn't going to get the coverage.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

LakeLions wrote:
Lions4ever wrote:
LakeLions wrote:Have any of you guys considered that it's smack in the middle of the Lions off-season
Yes. That's exactly what the first sentence of the first post on this thread says, if you'd read it.

Haha. So you've spent three full pages complaining about something that you answered in your first comment, then?
*Shrug*

Not my comment.

And I haven't "spent three full pages" doing squat.
LakeLions
Rookie

Lions4ever wrote:
*Shrug*

Not my comment.

And I haven't "spent three full pages" doing squat.
Funny. I could have sworn it was your comment. And the fact your name is attached to it would indicate it was your comment.

But never mind.
Qman
Champion

season tickets are at 16660 now, primarily high end (club & $720) and lowest-end ($250-$320) selling
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

What was the total last season ?
Qman
Champion

skulsky said 15.5 last year.
They hired a bunch of new people over last 12mos after braley saw last seasons disaster on ticketing side. Seems to be some new ideas generated from that (ie. expanding value for $ (free jersey sweetners), 10month membership plan, etc.) Hopefully this continues.
dawg3648
Rookie

Not sure how you are getting those numbers Qman. If you go to their site and the season ticket map I count about 11,000 tops based on counting number of tix available per section from 500, which is the average section seating total.