Wally HC/ GM Again

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

Tedford resigns and Wally is taking over the dual role of HC/GM
Entertainment value = an all time low
CardiacKid
Legend

I guess the writing was on the wall.....the only positive thing I can muster is the fact they got on with it. It was beginning to feel like a bandaid that was sssslllllooooowwwwlllllyyyyy being removed.

Not what I want....I hope there is some light shined on this and what exactly did transpire behind the scenes.
Spud387
Champion

maybe... maybe Hufnagel is coming here? maybe? One can dream right?
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
CardiacKid
Legend

Spud387 wrote:maybe... maybe Hufnagel is coming here? maybe? One can dream right?
Who knows? I just pray to God we don't become like the Als with a revolving door leading from the GM to the HC's offices....

Maybe Tedford initiated it? Maybe Wally pushed him out the door? But I am sick and tired of hearing this and that...one vs. the other....all based on conjecture and reading between the lines. I am craving a proper write up on this by a credible news source.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Wally's news conference will be livestreamed at bclions.com at 9:30 a.m.

EDIT: Wally will also be on TSN1040 with Matt Sekeres and Blake Price at 11 a.m.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

This is from an email I received just in the last half hour:
Dear Fans,

We’ll be holding a press conference shortly to announce that Jeff Tedford has resigned as Head Coach.
Wally Buono will assume the dual role as General Manager and Head Coach for the 2016 Season.

PRESS RELEASE

Final Release (2015/163)

December 2, 2015

Jeff Tedford resigns as Lions head coach; Wally Buono to resume dual role

(Vancouver) The BC Lions Football Club announced today that Jeff Tedford has resigned as the club’s head coach. In a statement issued to the Lions this morning Tedford said:
“After much consideration, I have elected to exercise an option in my contract and will resign as head coach of the BC Lions in order to pursue other opportunities in college football. I want to thank Lions ownership, management, coaching staff and players and in particular Lions fans for the opportunity and privilege of serving as head coach this past year. The team displayed great fortitude in overcoming several obstacles this season and the future is very bright for these young Lions. I wish the Lions family the very best and long and continued success.”

Lions VP of football operations and GM Wally Buono will take over coaching duties for the 2016 season.

“After consulting with David Braley and Dennis Skulsky, we believe the best course of action for the club at this time is for me to return as head coach,” said Buono

Wally Buono will be available to the media at 9:30 am today at the club’s Surrey practice facility.
So much for all that talk about him being the heir apparent as GM. Next question is who else from the coaching staff will be gone.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Big Time
Champion

I'm ok with Wally on the sidelines. Let's be real here. It's not like Tedford did anything that couldn't be done by someone with half his experience and salary. His schemes were boring and he quite frankly looked bored on the sidelines.

What I won't be ok with is the two or three victories Wally will cost us next year by playing prevent defence in the last three minutes that will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

No surprise. It has been rumoured since it was leaked College schools were interested in hiring Telford. For his job security best move, Guess he did have that escape clause in his contract after all. As for Buono returning well still thinking that over if that is best, but after 2 failed coaches, maybe best move. Will it now be status quo with the assistant coaches?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:Next question is who else from the coaching staff will be gone.
Rick Dhaliwal of News1130 Sports said this morning that George Cortez will be gone as OC. Previous reports have suggested that Chuck McMann is retiring.
CardiacKid
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
sj-roc wrote:Next question is who else from the coaching staff will be gone.
Rick Dhaliwal of News1130 Sports said this morning that George Cortez will be gone as OC. Previous reports have suggested that Chuck McMann is retiring.
That is encouraging news.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The first player reaction:
Jovan Olafioye ‏@jolafioye63
I would run through a wall for Wally Buono!!!!!! #GOAT #great2haveUback
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:The first player reaction:
Is there anything about Tedford to be read between the lines here?

I seem to recall a report partway through the 2015 season that some players didn't care for JT's ways, which were honed from years of college coaching.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:. Previous reports have suggested that Chuck McMann is retiring.
You mean we get rid of Valli and McMann in the same offseason?

I need to go buy a lottery ticket.
The_Pauser
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:The first player reaction:
This is likely to be the biggest impact we see. I don't think the players enjoyed playing for Tedford, while we all know players loved playing for Buono. We became a destination that players would come to under his tenure as our HC (not so much with him as GM and someone else as HC which was a bit strange).

For me the important thing now is to ensure we have 3 top notch coordinators. X's and O's guys who are the best at their jobs in the league. Not sure we can get them, but that would help make this move successful.

Next would be ensure our personnel improves. We have some holes to address and as long as we can fill them we should be good. I also want to see us retain some of our star veterans like Olafioye (free agent), and Arceneaux.
Roar you Lions roar!