Wally HC/ GM Again

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

MexicoLionFan
Legend

I started this last night, and obviously a lot has happened since then. Well, good luck to all of you here in your pursuit as Lion's fans...my best wishes to you all. It was a fun time here that was made very special at times by the incredible insight from so many very intelligent Lion's fans. In particular I want to thank Rammer, Sammy, TLK, David, Cro, BC FAN, Nota, Dano, SP, SJRoc, BCL, James and Toppy (hope I didn't forget anyone) for all their passion and thoughts.

But I ESPECIALLY want to thank both Joe and Blitz, as I feel like we have become real friends without ever having met them. On a site with so many special people they both stand out for their unique genius, and I have learned a ton and been entertained by both for a number of years! So thank you guys SO VERY, VERY MUCH! And again, thank you to everyone here!

As I leave, let me leave you with this one final caution...history is ubiquitous with men being consumed with absolute power...and throughout history men and women have reminded us that absolute power corrupts absolutely. Since the death of Bob Ackles, there has been a cloud over this franchise, and it relates to the, IMO, unhealthy business practices being adorned by the current GM. There is NO LEGACY of our great past in BC any more...none of the CORE PLAYERS since 2003 have any real connection to this team. Free Agents avoid us, any trades we have are one sided against us, and now you can be CERTAIN that NO HEAD COACH from outside of this circus called the BC Lions will come here unless Wally is gone. Because of today, the Lions will sink or swim with Wally and his inner circle...and if some of you think this is a good thing, then again, I wish you well!

Thanks again everyone and it is my sincere wish that you all find true joy and happiness in your lives! Peace be with you ALWAYS!

MLF
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
maxlion
Legend

Not too surprised by Tedford resigning given all of the rumours, but I am very surprised that Buono did not retain Cortez (or perhaps Cortez has other plans as well?). While Cortez is not the most loved OC around here, the year under Khari Jones was the worst offensive system we have had in recent memory, and I really hope we don't go down that road again.
The_Pauser
Legend

MexicoLionFan wrote:Wally's calculated decision to "fight fire with fire" in hanging Tedford out to dry at the season's end needs to end this week...either state he's your HC and has full control over his staff, or let him go. If Tedford is fired, it doesn't really matter whether Wally announces his return to the sidelines at the same time or not, but for the sake of this franchise, the fans, the players and for Tedford's opportunity to take on another job, a decision needs to be made now.
You posted this 2 hours after it was announced Tedford had resigned...
MexicoLionFan wrote: IMO, as I said during the season, the Lions potentially have NOT hit bottom yet, even with the emergence of a good, young QB. Coaching and MGT of this team since Bob Ackles left us has been the problem. Wally has been credited with most of the success from 2003-2008, but I believe that Ackles in charge over Wally, was the recipe for success. Wally on his own has been a sinking ship, buoyed only by the "miraculous" run during the second half of the 2011 season and the strong 2012 season. Before and after that "event", the Lions have been in disarray. And with a history under Wally of horrid CDN drafts, we are dreadfully thin on NAT talent and NAT backups.
I agree Ackles had a lot to do with our success, but to say Wally had little to do with it is shortsighted and just plain wrong. He was successful in Calgary for a reason, and he brought that success here. We've had some of our best years under Wally, but it seems people take that for granted.
MexicoLionFan wrote: Ultimately, Jeff Tedford put himself into this situation by agreeing to a deal that saw his powers limited. Keeping Washington and McMann, while losing Bates and hiring on Cortez was at the very least a strong recommendation from Wally that Tedford trusted in. Our Defence was a JOKE for half a season until personnel changes were made, slowly followed by some changes in coaching philosophy. There are those that want to believe Washington "slowly came around", but I disagree. This was Tedford taking on a more active role with his staff, as he did with both the S Ts and the Offence.
Powers limited? What's your source on that? Maybe Tedford kept some of the coaching staff around so that he had some continuity in the coaching ranks? How often does a coach from outside the league get hired and completely cleans house of all the coaches on the team? Keep some perspective here.

Also Tedford and Cortez had worked together in the NCAA, so suggesting that he was a Wally hire is likely wrong.
MexicoLionFan wrote: The "gut" feeling I get is that this delay in announcing our HC has everything to do with Wally and another power play. He is giving Tedford HIS terms to return as a "puppet" coach, with McMann retired, and both Cortez and Washington retained, ensuring that "Wallyball" will continue to mediocre results. IMO, this is the ONLY way that Tedford will be "allowed" to return...and if he disagrees with this approach, then he will be let go, or rather Wally will "frame it" as a "mutual parting of the ways". This is why I don't see Tedford coming back, and the Lions continued to be controlled by Wally, who is using this to get ONE MORE contract from the Lions, so that if he tanks, he will have his retirement nest egg. And if this does come to pass, the Lions will have one less fan to "worry" about.
Wrong again. The delay in the announcement likely had to do with Wally not wanting to make this announcement during Grey Cup week. How often do these announcements happen during Grey Cup week? Giving his terms for Tedford to return? Now you're just making things up.
MexicoLionFan wrote: I sure hope I am wrong about all of this, and that Tedford is given a legitimate shot to pick his staff and stamp his personal style of coaching upon EVERY aspect of this football team, but again, I doubt it. Either way, this little charade by Wally of leaving Tedford to wriggle in the wind needs to end this week for the sake of everyone besides Wally Buono.
I'm pretty sure you are wrong about all of this.
Roar you Lions roar!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:I started this last night, and obviously a lot has happened since then. Well, good luck to all of you here in your pursuit as Lion's fans...my best wishes to you all. It was a fun time here that was made very special at times by the incredible insight from so many very intelligent Lion's fans. In particular I want to thank Rammer, Sammy, TLK, David, Cro, BC FAN, Nota, Dano, SP, SJRoc, BCL, James and Toppy (hope I didn't forget anyone) for all their passion and thoughts.

But I ESPECIALLY want to thank both Joe and Blitz, as I feel like we have become real friends without ever having met them. On a site with so many special people they both stand out for their unique genius, and I have learned a ton and been entertained by both for a number of years! So thank you guys SO VERY, VERY MUCH! And again, thank you to everyone here!

As I leave, let me leave you with this one final caution...history is ubiquitous with men being consumed with absolute power...and throughout history men and women have reminded us that absolute power corrupts absolutely. Since the death of Bob Ackles, there has been a cloud over this franchise, and it relates to the, IMO, unhealthy business practices being adorned by the current GM. There is NO LEGACY of our great past in BC any more...none of the CORE PLAYERS since 2003 have any real connection to this team. Free Agents avoid us, any trades we have are one sided against us, and now you can be CERTAIN that NO HEAD COACH from outside of this circus called the BC Lions will come here unless Wally is gone. Because of today, the Lions will sink or swim with Wally and his inner circle...and if some of you think this is a good thing, then again, I wish you well!

Thanks again everyone and it is my sincere wish that you all find true joy and happiness in your lives! Peace be with you ALWAYS!

MLF
I hope you will be with us next year, MLF. I always enjoy your posts, with your passion and football knowledge. And thank you for the kind words. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Hambone wrote:
Belize City Lion wrote:WB told reporters "the players love me".
As Price said to Sekeres when relaying that "but we weren't able to see the twinkle in his eye when he said that". Anybody not recognizing Buono said that with tongue in cheek must be new to following the Lions.
That makes sense. Wally, when he was hired by Bobby Ackles, back in 2003, said his one regret was that he wished he could have been nicer.

I can picture Wally with a twinkle in his eye when he said he was loved by players. And no doubt he is loved by some players. Many? Not so sure about that.
I don't think any coach cares if they are loved by their players. As much as they might want that to be they know that is an unrealistic result given the nature of sports and how they must constantly make decisions that individual players will not agree with. What all coaches do want though is to be respected. I always remember Steve Shutt's quote about Scotty Bowman. "For 364 days of the year we hated Scotty's guts and on the 365th day we picked up our rings".
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

MexicoLionFan wrote:I started this last night, and obviously a lot has happened since then. Well, good luck to all of you here in your pursuit as Lion's fans...my best wishes to you all. It was a fun time here that was made very special at times by the incredible insight from so many very intelligent Lion's fans. In particular I want to thank Rammer, Sammy, TLK, David, Cro, BC FAN, Nota, Dano, SP, SJRoc, BCL, James and Toppy (hope I didn't forget anyone) for all their passion and thoughts.
Cheers and thanks, MLF. You've brought a lot of passion and insight to discussions on this board. All the best.
South Pender
Legend

Hambone wrote:I guess I'm mixed on this. I think I was wanting to see Tedford go one more season to see what he could do with continued development of Jennings. I still don't buy that Wally wants to return to the sideline. However given the circumstances of both him and Skulsky only being under contract for 2016 and the what is soon to be new ownership (how soon remains to be seen) I don't think he had any choice but to return to the sidelines.
I feel the same way. I don't believe there's any evidence that Tedford's resignation was handled in an inappropriate or underhanded way. It couldn't be announced last week with Grey Cup news given priority, and it's now only three days after GC. It may well be that Wally and Tedford reached this decision some time ago (so that Tedford has had time to follow other options), but put off the announcement until now--as soon as feasible after GC news died down. I also tend to think that Wally probably didn't want to return to the sidelines, but, given the circumstances agreed to do this partly out of loyalty to Braley. This move will, I believe, have a stabilizing effect on the team, and, if a good OC and DC can be hired to handled the X's and O's (admittedly a big "if")--leaving Wally to operate at a more managerial level--I foresee a good season for the Lions in 2016. We have a good young QB, and that's the most important component of an offense. The teams that struggled this season--Riders, Bombers, and Als--all had poor QB play much of the time. I was not optimistic coming into the 2015 season, with Lulay's health status unknown and no proven replacement if he went down. So we'll eagerly await announcements about the OC, DC, and position coaches.
The_Pauser
Legend

maxlion wrote:Not too surprised by Tedford resigning given all of the rumours, but I am very surprised that Buono did not retain Cortez (or perhaps Cortez has other plans as well?). While Cortez is not the most loved OC around here, the year under Khari Jones was the worst offensive system we have had in recent memory, and I really hope we don't go down that road again.
Yeah, I mean, I thought Cortez was only here because Buono forced poor Tedford to hire him. How can this be that he's not returning now that Buono is the coach again?

;)
Roar you Lions roar!
CardiacKid
Legend

Hambone wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote:And Tedford made this clear to everyone in his post season interviews with the papers. He was telling us that he was restricted by Wally and did his best...and that he wanted to do more. The next day Wally responded as if this was some kind of attack on him, and left Tedford hanging...a BUSH LEAGUE MOVE BY A BUSH LEAGUE GM!
Want to provide a few links. I'd like to read those articles.
Seconded.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

maxlion wrote:Not too surprised by Tedford resigning given all of the rumours, but I am very surprised that Buono did not retain Cortez (or perhaps Cortez has other plans as well?). While Cortez is not the most loved OC around here, the year under Khari Jones was the worst offensive system we have had in recent memory, and I really hope we don't go down that road again.
According to Wally it was Cortez who advised him he would not be back and that was done right after the season ended.
Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:
Hambone wrote:I guess I'm mixed on this. I think I was wanting to see Tedford go one more season to see what he could do with continued development of Jennings. I still don't buy that Wally wants to return to the sideline. However given the circumstances of both him and Skulsky only being under contract for 2016 and the what is soon to be new ownership (how soon remains to be seen) I don't think he had any choice but to return to the sidelines.
I felt the same way. I can see short-term benefit to Wally returning to the sideline for 2016 but I don't like the suggestion from David Braley that he will seek an extension of Wally's contract beyond 2016. I was hoping this would be a transition year to new ownership and management.
NEWS 1130 SportsVerified account ‏@NEWS1130Sports
#BCLions owner David Braley on Wally Buono back coaching : "He knows how to win football games."

NEWS 1130 SportsVerified account ‏@NEWS1130Sports
Braley has Buono's commitment for next year but would look for a longer deal in the next 2 weeks. #BCLions
Lifetime contract? Braley is serious. Braley should just lend Wally the money, and let Wally buy the team.
Hmmm, that is am interesting proposal. One that in the past probably wouldn't have waivered his decisioning had he been the owner of the team. However I wonder if Wally the owner would have chosen Wally to be HC/GM going into the 2016 season. I am not so sure on the latter.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Rammer
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Hambone wrote:
As Price said to Sekeres when relaying that "but we weren't able to see the twinkle in his eye when he said that". Anybody not recognizing Buono said that with tongue in cheek must be new to following the Lions.
That makes sense. Wally, when he was hired by Bobby Ackles, back in 2003, said his one regret was that he wished he could have been nicer.

I can picture Wally with a twinkle in his eye when he said he was loved by players. And no doubt he is loved by some players. Many? Not so sure about that.
I don't think any coach cares if they are loved by their players. As much as they might want that to be they know that is an unrealistic result given the nature of sports and how they must constantly make decisions that individual players will not agree with. What all coaches do want though is to be respected. I always remember Steve Shutt's quote about Scotty Bowman. "For 364 days of the year we hated Scotty's guts and on the 365th day we picked up our rings".
What Shutt doesn't point out about Bowman is that the players were united on that front, which may be the binding agent to their success. IMO Wally cant fall into that category with his players leadership group that he counts on to help make the right off season moves. Scotty was the dictator, Wally uses his inner circle to do his work.

Both methods have merit, but you have to appreciate Bowman's ability to adapt to the game, whereas Wally doesn't like change in the game. His way only works through the game changes when he has the superior athletes, and he has had that more times than his GC record suggests.
Entertainment value = an all time low
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Mexico Lions fan why leave? If you are a true fan you stay as Lions fan for life. Been a fan since 72 or 73 and believe me we have had tougher times. Remember Joe Kapp as GM, terrible. Nelson Skalbania as owner. He wanted to change the name to Vancouver Lions, alienating and insulting fans across province and team almost went under.

Boards need contrasting opinions. Leaving because Wally is coach for one year does not make a lot of sense, just my 2 cents. Yes he is a control freak, but has won 5 grey cups and is good coach, better than a GM.

You mentioned no core players since 2003 are connected with the team. You are wrong there. Geroy Simon is with the team and Lou Passaglia is still I think and there may be others.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:[
MexicoLionFan wrote: IMO, as I said during the season, the Lions potentially have NOT hit bottom yet, even with the emergence of a good, young QB. Coaching and MGT of this team since Bob Ackles left us has been the problem. Wally has been credited with most of the success from 2003-2008, but I believe that Ackles in charge over Wally, was the recipe for success. Wally on his own has been a sinking ship, buoyed only by the "miraculous" run during the second half of the 2011 season and the strong 2012 season. Before and after that "event", the Lions have been in disarray. And with a history under Wally of horrid CDN drafts, we are dreadfully thin on NAT talent and NAT backups.
I agree Ackles had a lot to do with our success, but to say Wally had little to do with it is shortsighted and just plain wrong. He was successful in Calgary for a reason, and he brought that success here. We've had some of our best years under Wally, but it seems people take that for granted..
I am as much a fan and supporter of Ackles as anybody. However the longer time passes since we lost him the bigger his legend gets. Ackles biggest contributions to resurrecting the Lions were on the business operations side. On the football ops side he really made only one key move. He hired Buono to run the football ops and empowered him to do so. I suspect Ackles and Buono were in constant communication with each other just as Skulsky and Buono are today. That's what a good functioning management group does. Certainly Ackles could be relied on by Buono as a sounding board for football things but I think Ackles basically let Wally do his thing and for the most part imposed little if any influence on Buono's side of things.
Qman
Champion

The_Pauser wrote:
Yeah, I mean, I thought Cortez was only here because Buono forced poor Tedford to hire him. How can this be that he's not returning now that Buono is the coach again?

;)
prefer they just repromote Khari. We can't go through another system change ... again. Unless JC wants to come back.