Harris Basically Says Good Bye

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

When you have been on the consumer end of the product that the Lions have been doling out increasingly over the last few years, you should feel some heat. I can't really think of another GM that would get this kind of free pass in the league today. Huff, maybe but in reality this has been going on for about 8 years now. Disappointing finishes, diminishing returns. If not for that 1 time shot in 2011 which was set to become even more dismal than this season, I am pretty firmly committed to the idea that even Wally Buono wouldn't be the GM of this team. He probably would have been fired by now.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
David
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:When you have been on the consumer end of the product that the Lions have been doling out increasingly over the last few years, you should feel some heat. I can't really think of another GM that would get this kind of free pass in the league today.
True. I am disturbed when I hear Skulsky in his presser yesterday saying things like, "Wally is an icon when it comes to this league....Wally is going to know when it's time not to be here."

He was given a de facto lifetime contract by Braley, which is lunacy. Even Phil Jackson wasn't given that deal. One needs to look at the declining metrics since 2011, on the field and off. His drafting record. (In)ability to sign free agents. Blind loyalty to many sub-par coordinators. All of it.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Blitz
Team Captain

I think its a fait of accompli that Harris will not be back now, after Wally's very personal and very negative comments he made about Harris.

Harris did not make his comments personal. He said he wanted to be back but felt that the organization had not reflected back to him all that he had given, basically, and that he wanted to be happy.

Wally's comments were disparaging and so personal that there is no way that Harris would want to return..and Wally would know, when making them, that he was not planning to have Harris back.

I highly doubted Wally wanted him back anyway....too expensive when he could get an import tailback cheaper and Buono didn't like Harris's attitude as well. No comment from Tedford about Harris, regarding attitude... only that he felt he had given Harris a lot of reps, based on the overall season.

I wonder if Buono knew he was not going to want Harris back, when he made the comment that Harris needed to prove himself over the last 6 regular season games. Maybe that was just a Machievellian ploy by Buono to try to get the most out of Harris so that he would think that he would have a better chance for his contract proposal.

Harris wanted to be back and said so, based on money and his role. It seems that Buono did not want him back, based on money and what Buono viewed as Harris 'unprofessionalism'.

This dispute between Harris and Buono was much more than just contract and money. There is a lot of power and ego stuff involved too, even though some of that is couched with different words.

Left on the sidelines in all of this is the fans. No question that Harris not returning is not going to helpful to a gate that was the lowest in 20 years.

With so many vets leaving here unhappy over the years and that was just not about money or having their contract renewed but also their treatment. Marsh got it bad last year. Its happened a lot in the Buono era. That treatment does not improve the feeling fans have for supporting this team.

We have very few player faces that fans identify with. Us die hards will always be around but even some of us are getting weary of it all. Too many mind games, too much angst, too much intrigue, too much 'stuff'' and too much favoritism and not just good exciting football. It seems to happen too much and too often with Buono here.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Regarding Andrew Harris speaking out ...

How many workers have the courage to speak out? Especially when the boss is an icon, a tough guy, who metes out punishment and dismissals as a key part of his job?

I applaud Harris. I do not see it as immature behaviour, but really as acting as a spokesman for himself and for all his teammates. It highlights the treatment veterans have always gotten from Wally Buono. Forced pay cuts. Dismissal before you are ready. Replaced by cheaper, younger players. Kick in the butt on the way out. No love. Parting on bad terms.

Heck, I remember Wally's early words on his arrival here back in 2003, as reported in the local papers. Any regrets about your career? Something to the effect of: "I wish I could have been nicer." I understand that comment now. When Wally is your adversary, or you are on opposite sides of an issue, he can be very, very tough. Ruthless even.

So I applaud Andrew Harris for speaking out. I do not see him as a prima donna player. I see a proud athlete who gives his all on each and every play. All out. Passionate. He wants an effective offence.

I know some adhere to the concept of what happens in the locker room stays in the locker room. What happens inside should stay inside. Although that is a nice concept for the organization, it is not necessarily nice for the inhabitants, the workers. Definitely not nice for the inhabitants. Meanwhile the Boss can paint his own picture in the media.

Suffer in silence? Not so likely nowadays.

Speak out? Yeah, probably you get moved. But sometimes one has to keep on looking. Sometimes one has to speak out.

Not a team player. Only out for money. Only out for more touches. Not professional. Go work in a bank. Demonized? To an extent in that he is only out for himself, a selfish player. This fan does not buy it.

In any case, I wish Andrew Harris all the good. Thanks for the memories.

This image is indelible for me. After a playoff loss. Nothing left in the tank. All in. This fan salutes you. :beer:

Others, of course, can, and will, see it differently.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
maxlion
Legend

Just for the record, here are some of the statements reported in the press.

Harris said:

“I think there’s a body of work there and I should be compensated in a certain way. If they don’t want to do it, I think someone will.”
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Wille ... story.html

"The contract is definitely up, and for me, it’s taking it one game at a time and letting the rest play out. But every game at this point is crucial. It’s a job interview for every team that might be interested in me."

"[The rushing title] is the ultimate goal for me right now, other than the playoffs. That’s something I haven’t done in my career yet. It’s definitely something I want to accomplish and I’m working hard to get that...And just for the fact that in (four) weeks this season, I was pretty much a non-contributor on this offence. So to still be the rushing leader, it just shows that I can do well."

"All my family is in Winnipeg and I’ve lived with the fact I’ve been out here this long. But my daughter is getting older and I do miss her and I do miss being around her. That is something that will weigh into the decision. But ultimately, it’s about the right fit and who shows the most interest."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports ... 02301.html

“I’ve put a lot of work into this organization. I’ve been here for a while. Lot of great memories. Lot of great games. Lot of great seasons. Again, I would love to be back here. But it’s got to make sense for my family, my life. I’ve got to make a decision as to where I want to stay.”

“We were far apart at midseason. He might think differently now. I know where I’m at, what I think I’m going to get paid somewhere else. Basically, the ball’s in his court. I want to be a B.C. Lion. But it’s got to make sense for me.”
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/fre ... story.html

"There's been times where I've felt the amount of effort and things I've put into this club ... hasn't been reflected the same way back to me. That's been frustrating… At this point I'm just going to enjoy the off-season and get some Andrew time and reassess where I want to be. I just want to be somewhere I'm happy. I'm near the end of my career now, so there are some different factors that come into play with that."

"I bleed orange… It's been a great journey, but the writing's kind of on the wall. At this point in time I just don't know what's going to happen."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/fu ... for-lions/

“Beginning of the season, I was definitely being used a lot and whether they felt I was being overused or losing a step just because I was slowing down being was tired or beat up…it definitely slowed down during the season and never really got back on track.”
http://www.metronews.ca/news/vancouver ... uture.html

And Buono:

“At the end of the season, we’ll make up our minds. I’m not making those kind of decisions after 12 games. I don’t have enough information right now. Let’s wait for the end of this season and, hopefully, a couple of playoff games.”

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Wille ... story.html

"There's a salary cap. If a player's demand is higher than what we can pay or higher than we feel is warranted then you've got to make a decision."
http://www.tsn.ca/lions-gm-buono-harris ... t-1.396068

“Do you think we’re not frustrated, going 7-11? Do you think people in Dennis’s (president Skulsky) and my office aren’t frustrated? At the end of it, it’s partly our fault and we’ve got to show responsibility. You’re a professional athlete, you’re a professional coach, you’re a professional GM. I don’t stand up here, every week, and show my frustrations. You’ve got to be enough of a pro to know you can’t do that.”

“He (Leone) didn’t like it (his benching). But, at the end of the day, he did what I hoped he would do. He didn’t pout. He took the time to make himself better. Was he disappointed? Yes. Was it tough for him the last couple of games? Yes. But he stroked the ball well against Calgary. Professional football is tough. When you’re not doing well, everybody sees it and criticizes you. But, if you don’t like it, go do something else, or go work in a bank. Nobody’ll know what you’re doing, and nobody will care.” http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/li ... z3rybykB8d
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

And these. Thanks for the memories, Guys.

Grey Cup 2011. They can't take that away.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

maxlion wrote:Just for the record, here are some of the statements reported in the press.
Just for the record, max? No bias?

Heck, many times I think you work for Wally Buono, as a P.R. spokesman. And you do a good job defending and supporting Wally Buono. :thup:

OK, as you say, for the record. And Wally is entitled to support. Yes, he is. He has brought success to our team, mixed in with some serious backsliding.

And I still support Andrew Harris. I am biased in his favour.

Wally Buono is the GM. Andrew Harris is the player. In this public disagreement, I support the player.

I guess this public disagreement could lead to divorce.

maxlion
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
maxlion wrote:Just for the record, here are some of the statements reported in the press.

Heck, many times I think you work for Wally Buono, as a P.R. spokesman. And you do a good job defending and supporting Wally Buono. :thup:
??
What's with the personal attacks Joe? I only posted links to what was said by both sides.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

maxlion wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:

??
What's with the personal attacks Joe? I only posted links to what was said by both sides.
Is that a personal attack? You said just for the record. I thought you had a bias, supporting Wally Buono.

I commended you for defending Wally Buono.

I see what you mean. I apologize. You did just post the comments. I did make the dig that you seemed to work for Wally Buono. I apologize for that. Your comments are reasonable and without emotion or invective.

These are tough time for us. Passions run high. Once again, I apologize.

maxlion
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
...I apologize.
That's okay. Thanks.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

maxlion wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:
...I apologize.
That's okay. Thanks.
You are welcome. We might be on different sides in some issues, but I respect you and your comments. And Wally is entitled to support. I have been supportive of Wally in the past, not so much now. --> My bias.

Back later ... Gotta go.

MexicoLionFan
Legend

The_Pauser wrote:Harris also had more touches than any other RB in the league. How many more touches do you want him to get?

Wow, now there's some logic for you. Injuries (especially to Cornish) and recycling RBs around the league led to Harris leading the league in RB touches...and because he is a dual threat and a record breaker, he should have anyways. Which is all the more reason why any team would be foolish to let a player like Harris go!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Blitz
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:Regarding Andrew Harris speaking out ...

How many workers have the courage to speak out? Especially when the boss is an icon, a tough guy, who metes out punishment and dismissals as a key part of his job?

I applaud Harris. I do not see it as immature behaviour, but really as acting as a spokesman for himself and for all his teammates. It highlights the treatment veterans have always gotten from Wally Buono. Forced pay cuts. Dismissal before you are ready. Replaced by cheaper, younger players. Kick in the butt on the way out. No love. Parting on bad terms.

Heck, I remember Wally's early words on his arrival here back in 2003, as reported in the local papers. Any regrets about your career? Something to the effect of: "I wish I could have been nicer." I understand that comment now. When Wally is your adversary, or you are on opposite sides of an issue, he can be very, very tough. Ruthless even.

So I applaud Andrew Harris for speaking out. I do not see him as a prima donna player. I see a proud athlete who gives his all on each and every play. All out. Passionate. He wants an effective offence.

I know some adhere to the concept of what happens in the locker room stays in the locker room. What happens inside should stay inside. Although that is a nice concept for the organization, it is not necessarily nice for the inhabitants, the workers. Definitely not nice for the inhabitants. Meanwhile the Boss can paint his own picture in the media.

Speak out? Yeah, probably you get moved. But sometimes one has to keep on looking. Sometimes one has to speak out.

Not a team player. Only out for money. Only out for more touches. Not professional. Go work in a bank. Demonized? To an extent in that he is only out for himself, a selfish player. This fan does not buy it.

This image is indelible for me. After a playoff loss. Nothing left in the tank. All in. This fan salutes you. :beer:

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too. :beer:

I don't completely agree with you WCJ but I understand where you are coming from and feel your passion. I think you left out a few Buono quotes maxlion that would not have looked good on him but all of us have a tendency to want to support our view by being selective at times.

I believe we had this conversation on Lionbackers during the regular season when Harris spoke out. I have mixed views about it. I've been a player and a coach (as you have WCJ) so I'm sure you can see the issue of a player speaking out an how in both ways. I've been a worker and been in leadership positions so I've seen things from both sides in that way too...as I'm sure most of us have, in one way or the other.

Normally, I don't believe a player (employee) should publically criticize what the organization or business is doing or their role within it, the product, etc. In fact, its considered subordination and grounds for dismissal in most (but not all) organizations and businesses. Our Leos are a business, not a community organization. It has a private owner and he hires the boss(es) and they hire the employees (players). As fans we buy the product (buy tickets, watch it on t.v. and support sponsors, etc. Its entertainment.

In a broader sense, we often feel its our provincial pro football team, our city football team, etc and the Lions have a long history and a media focus and a wide fan focus.... and the media aspect makes it more complex. Most employees or bosses are not interviewed by the press on a regular basis, asked questions etc. Its a much more challenging thing to deal with for everyone involved.

Football is not a democracy. Its not a town hall meeting. Its a very hierarchical structure. Its a very structured game, almost military in its implementation. Football 'employees' careers are high profile and most often very short term. In reality, they are contract workers with a high public profile.

A personal anecdote that comes to mind during a football game I was coaching. Our offence was not off to its usual good start. Half way through the second quarter, my center and team captain called a time out and requested me to come onto the field. That was very usual. I only called time outs or my quarterback did in the rare situation that the 20 second clock was running down. My center was a big guy who had spent his summer logging and was built like a rock. He looked very upset. I walked out to the huddle and asked him what was going on. Brian (my center) said to me "Do you want to know why our offence $#@%$#@s sucks right now? Its because everyone is talking in the huddle. Everyone is whining they're open. Everyone is yakking. They think its a %$#^%$# staff meeting in here.

I looked at all of skilled players and asked who was talking. All heads went down and their eyes hit the ground. I said the next one that said a word was coming out for the rest of the game. Brian said THANK YOU and our offence started playing back to its usual standard again.

I realize that was within a game but football is not a colloborative process between players and coaches. If it was we would have chaos. At the same time football, like most organizations and businesses have changed. They are flatter. Input is not shut down, its often encouraged. Most often but not always, it makes an organization or business function better. Employees want to have a voice and to be listened to. Their ideas can often make things better (but not always) but every idea is not a good idea. Some can be self-serving.

On a football team, self-serving behavior can be even more challenging. Male egos are involved. Some players want to impress their girlfriend in the stands or become the star player on the team, more so than winning. On a senior men's basketball team's locker rom that I coached was a sign "TEAM - Check Your Ego at the Door". On professional teams contracts and endorsments are often based on awards, stats, etc. records, etc.

If every player got the reps they wanted or the passes they felt they deserved to receive, or the passes they wanted to throw, rather than hand the football off, no one else would be happy.

On a pro football team, no different than in most organization or business, players normally should not be voicing their displeasure about their role on the team or the strategies of that organization or business in presenting its product. However, they should be given opportunities in meetings for input or privately to provide input or express frustration if they are experiencing it.

Leaders and bosses also have a responsibility to provide opportunities for input and encourage communication. In the end, however, there has to be a decision maker and football teams cannot be run by employees 'voting' on a strategy or 'rounding up the troops' when it serves their interests.

I also believe that when a boss goes public and criticizes a employee its an abuse of power as well as unwise and unacceptable. There can be no double standard and there has been a double standard with Wally for a long time. Andrew Harris is only the last one in a long line of vet players or coaches who have been trashed in one way or the other. We saw Wally publically say he would 'mentor' Chap and disparage Stubler before releasing him. Dante Marsh last season was the latest to be publically embarrassed and when released, he was not allowed to talk to other teams for a number of months until his contract was over. It was mean spirited for a player who had given his all for his team and organization. Its also important to note that many Leo players volunteer their time to the community and that helps the profile of the team and its profits.

In a general sense I would not normally agree with you WCJ on this type of issue. In most situations, I would not support a player making the types of comments that Andrew Harris has made. Imagine every player on every team speaking out to the media about their role in the offence or defense or the strategies of the team? It would be anything but good.

But in this situation we have a leader (boss, g.m.) who not only does it but does it for his own image. Players are normally blamed publically. Vets or coaches are scapegoated publically. So, unwise for Andrew to do it, what is good for the goose has to be good for the gander.

Some of the commnents that Wally made about Harris have an appearance of defamation of character, unless they can be proved to be true. I googled Buono's comments about Harris and there were pages of newspapers across Canada that picked up the story. They could impact Harris' potential future employment or even the amount of his contract.

Essentially he has been called unprofessional as well as detriment to the locker room. Not good stuff or wise stuff to say publically, no matter if they truly are Wallys' views or Wally is just doing a trash job in response to Harris comments. Harris comments are mild in comparison, were not personalized, nor did they disaparage any individual.

Wally is a Hall of Famer, a recipient of the Order of Canada, a person who played the game professionally and has coached and GM''d the game professionally for a long time. He likes to call himself a mentor and has referred to himself as a legend. No matter what ones' views are of Harris Wally is supposed to be a leader and real leaders take the high road and not the low road. Buono's behavior is unacceptable. So in this regard, while I wish both had kept things internally, the standard is higher for Buono and should be and his antics are demonstrating a very low standard and not a lot of class.

The old days of power and control the way Buono wants to do things are long gone. Its a narcissistic world with selfies and Face book entries of "I just brushed my teeth and 'tweets' and 'look at me'. How organizations (and football teams) function in this new world of communication is still being worked out, with a lot of bumps and challenges. We have old paradigns and new realities. But boundaries, mature behavior, and mutual respect will still be the only path to future success

Modern organizations can't be run successfully the way Buono wants to run them. At the same time, a football team will never work successfully a discussion group, like Lionbackers. A football team will never become the 'proletariat'.

Being as I like to be a smart ass on occasion, one thing that I think is excellent for our Leos is Lionbackers. I never liked Wally's Leadership Council making decisions on personell. There have always been Team Captains on a football team to provide input Ihopefully selected by the players and not the faves of the coach) Lionbackers kinda serves like a Fan Council for Wally and Company. :beauty:

It enables our Leos organization to read fan input. I hope they are starting to listen because the kind of stuff that is going on is not making anyone happy or excited about next season.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:Regarding Andrew Harris speaking out ...

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too. :beer:

I don't completely agree with you WCJ but I understand where you are coming from and feel your passion. I think you left out a few Buono quotes maxlion that would not have looked good on him but all of us have a tendency to want to support our view by being selective at times.

I believe we had this conversation on Lionbackers during the regular season when Harris spoke out. I have mixed views about it. I've been a player and a coach (as you have WCJ) so I'm sure you can see the issue of a player speaking out an how in both ways. I've been a worker and been in leadership positions so I've seen things from both sides in that way too...as I'm sure most of us have, in one way or the other.

Normally, I don't believe a player (employee) should publically criticize what the organization or business is doing or their role within it, the product, etc. In fact, its considered subordination and grounds for dismissal in most (but not all) organizations and businesses. Our Leos are a business, not a community organization. It has a private owner and he hires the boss(es) and they hire the employees (players). As fans we buy the product (buy tickets, watch it on t.v. and support sponsors, etc. Its entertainment.

In a broader sense, we often feel its our provincial pro football team, our city football team, etc and the Lions have a long history and a media focus and a wide fan focus.... and the media aspect makes it more complex. Most employees or bosses are not interviewed by the press on a regular basis, asked questions etc. Its a much more challenging thing to deal with for everyone involved.

Football is not a democracy. Its not a town hall meeting. Its a very hierarchical structure. Its a very structured game, almost military in its implementation. Football 'employees' careers are high profile and most often very short term. In reality, they are contract workers with a high public profile.

A personal anecdote that comes to mind during a football game I was coaching. Our offence was not off to its usual good start. Half way through the second quarter, my center and team captain called a time out and requested me to come onto the field. That was very usual. I only called time outs or my quarterback did in the rare situation that the 20 second clock was running down. My center was a big guy who had spent his summer logging and was built like a rock. He looked very upset. I walked out to the huddle and asked him what was going on. Brian (my center) said to me "Do you want to know why our offence $#@%$#@s sucks right now? Its because everyone is talking in the huddle. Everyone is whining they're open. Everyone is yakking. They think its a %$#^%$# staff meeting in here.

I looked at all of skilled players and asked who was talking. All heads went down and their eyes hit the ground. I said the next one that said a word was coming out for the rest of the game. Brian said THANK YOU and our offence started playing back to its usual standard again.

I realize that was within a game but football is not a colloborative process between players and coaches. If it was we would have chaos. At the same time football, like most organizations and businesses have changed. They are flatter. Input is not shut down, its often encouraged. Most often but not always, it makes an organization or business function better. Employees want to have a voice and to be listened to. Their ideas can often make things better (but not always) but every idea is not a good idea. Some can be self-serving.

On a football team, self-serving behavior can be even more challenging. Male egos are involved. Some players want to impress their girlfriend in the stands or become the star player on the team, more so than winning. On a senior men's basketball team's locker rom that I coached was a sign "TEAM - Check Your Ego at the Door". On professional teams contracts and endorsments are often based on awards, stats, etc. records, etc.

If every player got the reps they wanted or the passes they felt they deserved to receive, or the passes they wanted to throw, rather than hand the football off, no one else would be happy.

On a pro football team, no different than in most organization or business, players normally should not be voicing their displeasure about their role on the team or the strategies of that organization or business in presenting its product. However, they should be given opportunities in meetings for input or privately to provide input or express frustration if they are experiencing it.

Leaders and bosses also have a responsibility to provide opportunities for input and encourage communication. In the end, however, there has to be a decision maker and football teams cannot be run by employees 'voting' on a strategy or 'rounding up the troops' when it serves their interests.

I also believe that when a boss goes public and criticizes a employee its an abuse of power as well as unwise and unacceptable. There can be no double standard and there has been a double standard with Wally for a long time. Andrew Harris is only the last one in a long line of vet players or coaches who have been trashed in one way or the other. We saw Wally publically say he would 'mentor' Chap and disparage Stubler before releasing him. Dante Marsh last season was the latest to be publically embarrassed and when released, he was not allowed to talk to other teams for a number of months until his contract was over. It was mean spirited for a player who had given his all for his team and organization. Its also important to note that many Leo players volunteer their time to the community and that helps the profile of the team and its profits.

In a general sense I would not normally agree with you WCJ on this type of issue. In most situations, I would not support a player making the types of comments that Andrew Harris has made. Imagine every player on every team speaking out to the media about their role in the offence or defense or the strategies of the team? It would be anything but good.

But in this situation we have a leader (boss, g.m.) who not only does it but does it for his own image. Players are normally blamed publically. Vets or coaches are scapegoated publically. So, unwise for Andrew to do it, what is good for the goose has to be good for the gander.

Some of the commnents that Wally made about Harris have an appearance of defamation of character, unless they can be proved to be true. I googled Buono's comments about Harris and there were pages of newspapers across Canada that picked up the story. They could impact Harris' potential future employment or even the amount of his contract.

Essentially he has been called unprofessional as well as detriment to the locker room. Not good stuff or wise stuff to say publically, no matter if they truly are Wallys' views or Wally is just doing a trash job in response to Harris comments. Harris comments are mild in comparison, were not personalized, nor did they disaparage any individual.

Wally is a Hall of Famer, a recipient of the Order of Canada, a person who played the game professionally and has coached and GM''d the game professionally for a long time. He likes to call himself a mentor and has referred to himself as a legend. No matter what ones' views are of Harris Wally is supposed to be a leader and real leaders take the high road and not the low road. Buono's behavior is unacceptable. So in this regard, while I wish both had kept things internally, the standard is higher for Buono and should be and his antics are demonstrating a very low standard and not a lot of class.

The old days of power and control the way Buono wants to do things are long gone. Its a narcissistic world with selfies and Face book entries of "I just brushed my teeth and 'tweets' and 'look at me'. How organizations (and football teams) function in this new world of communication is still being worked out, with a lot of bumps and challenges. We have old paradigns and new realities. But boundaries, mature behavior, and mutual respect will still be the only path to future success

Modern organizations can't be run successfully the way Buono wants to run them. At the same time, a football team will never work successfully a discussion group, like Lionbackers. A football team will never become the 'proletariat'.

Being as I like to be a smart ass on occasion, one thing that I think is excellent for our Leos is Lionbackers. I never liked Wally's Leadership Council making decisions on personell. There have always been Team Captains on a football team to provide input Ihopefully selected by the players and not the faves of the coach) Lionbackers kinda serves like a Fan Council for Wally and Company. :beauty:

It enables our Leos organization to read fan input. I hope they are starting to listen because the kind of stuff that is going on is not making anyone happy or excited about next season.
when is the paperback version coming out :wink:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Blitz
Team Captain

when is the paperback version coming out :wink:

In a couple of weeks. Not worth reading though. Just read the opening and closing lines and dismiss them. :beer: :wink:

And to think that I mostly wrote the post for you. :bang: :bang: