Wally Buono won't commit to Jeff Tedford for 2016

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

maxlion
Legend

MexicoLionFan wrote:
No, the GM has only ONE CHOICE when he goes out in public and rips a player for spreading "locker room secrets" publicly! You can't have it both ways...unless of course you are Wally Buono who started this "tete a tete" with Andrew Harris by saying that Harris (one of the best players in the CFL since 2011 and a multiple award winner) "needed to prove himself over the last half of the season". Really? Needed to prove himself?
Interesting that you are now quoting Blitz' fake Buono quote--"needed to prove himself over the last half of the season". See how these fairytales spread? Show me a source where Wally said this or lose all credibility.
Blitz
Team Captain

leo4life wrote:Bouno made a career out of dumping vetrans and now hes the Vet trying to hang around too long.Mediocre GM so far and casts too large of a shadow on any of his coaching staff.Im a long time season ticket holder and will not renew till he steps down.Scott Ackles would be a good choice along with a new scouting staff.Tedford could stay in place and he could revamp his staff as his cordinaters havent helped like they should have.Whos your Grey Cup winner out there? Eskimos over Redblacks :rockin:
I'm not ruling out Calgary yet... :popcorn:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

What a mess the Lions find themselves in. The president either cannot or will not fire his General Manager. Only the owner has the authority and he gave Wally a lifetime contract. Wonder how many others in his business have a lifetime contract ?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
The biggest hitch I see is Braley agreeing to payout the $200,000 or whatever is left on Tedford's contract.
What's $200,000 to a multi millionaire. It's coffee money
David
Team Captain

Actually, The Province's Ed Willes reported that Tedford is rumoured to be making just south of $500,000 per year.

(or $70,000 a victory :wink:)

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
JohnHenry
Champion

It was reported Tedford signed for $350k per season, making him the highest paid coach-only in the league. It was referred to as the absolute maximum a CFL team could pay for a coach...with Tedford accepting that "low" salary due to their family's desire to relocate to Vancouver after earning $1M+ down south.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Actually, The Province's Ed Willes reported that Tedford is rumoured to be making just south of $500,000 per year.

JohnHenry wrote:It was reported Tedford signed for $350k per season, making him the highest paid coach-only in the league. It was referred to as the absolute maximum a CFL team could pay for a coach...with Tedford accepting that "low" salary due to their family's desire to relocate to Vancouver after earning $1M+ down south.
The two figures might not necessarily be contradictory if the lower amount is the base salary and the higher one represents the total compensation. Not saying this for fact or anything, just a thought, could be right or wrong.

"Absolute maximum a CFL team could pay for a coach"... in what sense? Braley could probably have paid more if he had to and were willing. But perhaps that's the most a team could pay and still be not losing money?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Blitz
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:
David wrote:Actually, The Province's Ed Willes reported that Tedford is rumoured to be making just south of $500,000 per year.

JohnHenry wrote:It was reported Tedford signed for $350k per season, making him the highest paid coach-only in the league. It was referred to as the absolute maximum a CFL team could pay for a coach...with Tedford accepting that "low" salary due to their family's desire to relocate to Vancouver after earning $1M+ down south.
The two figures might not necessarily be contradictory if the lower amount is the base salary and the higher one represents the total compensation. Not saying this for fact or anything, just a thought, could be right or wrong.

"Absolute maximum a CFL team could pay for a coach"... in what sense? Braley could probably have paid more if he had to and were willing. But perhaps that's the most a team could pay and still be not losing money?
Well, you also have to figure Buono's salary in there as well as Skulsky. We discuss Tedford's salary but how much is Buono making. What does his salary work out to, in terms of wins per game this season?
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
cromartie
Hall of Famer

maxlion wrote: Interesting that you are now quoting Blitz' fake Buono quote--"needed to prove himself over the last half of the season". See how these fairytales spread? Show me a source where Wally said this or lose all credibility.
Clearly you overestimate the number of people who care what you do or don't consider to be credible.

I set the over/under at 1.

Now then, adjust your organizational kneepads and resume typing.
maxlion
Legend

cromartie wrote:
maxlion wrote: Interesting that you are now quoting Blitz' fake Buono quote--"needed to prove himself over the last half of the season". See how these fairytales spread? Show me a source where Wally said this or lose all credibility.
Clearly you overestimate the number of people who care what you do or don't consider to be credible.

I set the over/under at 1.

Now then, adjust your organizational kneepads and resume typing.
Umm, I think you've forgotten a few people...my mom, my dog, my...okay, who am I kidding?

The credibility comment was a bit tongue in cheek but, come on, did you see his last post?? :dizzy:
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

LU is on the recent Lions Den Pawdcast and as usual he had some interesting observations:

Tedford likely says as the Lions won't want to eat his contract.

Cortez might retire and Jarious Jackson might be a candidate for the vacant OC job.

Khari Jones probably gone as he was mostly retained this season so they wouldn't have to payout his contract.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote: Cortez might retire and Jarious Jackson might be a candidate for the vacant OC job.
:cr: Jarius Jackson would be a good addition. Now, what about Mark Washington and Chuck McMann ?
MexicoLionFan
Legend

DanoT wrote:LU is on the recent Lions Den Pawdcast and as usual he had some interesting observations:

Tedford likely says as the Lions won't want to eat his contract.

Cortez might retire and Jarious Jackson might be a candidate for the vacant OC job.

Khari Jones probably gone as he was mostly retained this season so they wouldn't have to payout his contract.

I would hope that Khari would be replaced...he's a great person and a decent coach, but he is NOT a WR coach...that has to be held down by someone who has succeeded at the position. As for JJ as OC, only if Tedford takes back control over the offence and grooms Jackson. Again, Jarius is a great guy but doesn't know the first thing about designing, running and play calling an offence under pressure. He was a career backup QB and has been a QB coach. If Tedford stays, he should focus on bringing in the BEST POSSIBLE coaches to make this team better...not settling for a "decent prospect".
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
The_Pauser
Legend

I know it won't happen given the history with Wally, but I think Steve Buratto would be a great candidate for OC here. He's done a great job with UBC this year, he knows the league, and had a lot of success here in CP's MOP season.
Roar you Lions roar!
Blitz
Team Captain

The_Pauser wrote:I know it won't happen given the history with Wally, but I think Steve Buratto would be a great candidate for OC here. He's done a great job with UBC this year, he knows the league, and had a lot of success here in CP's MOP season.
I would be very happy to see Burratto back here as OC. He did a great job in 2003 and in 2004. He did an excellent job with Casey Printers in 2004 but unfortunately, towards the end of that 2004 season, Buono shipped Burratto to the spotters box and brought recievers coach Jaques Chapdelaine down to the sidelines to call plays for the last few games of that season.

What I liked about Burratto was that he designed his offence each game to take advantage of the defense. A very good example was in 2004, when we played Montreal, with Matthews at the helm and he often blitzed like crazy, something he had a penchant for and was also very good at. Buratto surprised him, came out in double tights all game, and our offence took it to them.