Wally Buono won't commit to Jeff Tedford for 2016

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

The hallmark behaviors of NPD include 1) controlling 2) coldness 3) calculating 4) manipulating 5) lack of empathy 6) egocentrity 7) blaming (scapegoating, minimizing responsibility, deflecting), 7) superiority (sometimes masked by faux modesty), 8) grandiosity (inflated self assessment), 9) ego defenses (eg: hypersensitivity to criticism, devaluing), and 10) a focus on one`s public image (False Self)
NPD is most often created due to a childhood characterized by a lack of love, self-esteem, and worthiness, or neglect.
The story of Wally Buono is well known. He overcame a very difficult and challenging childhood to attend university, had a long and successful career as a pro football linebacker/kicker and Head Coach/GM. It’s a story of overcoming adversity to achieve a high level of career success. His career story is inspirational.

Andrew Harris’s story is also inspirational. He overcame a very difficult youth in Winnipeg, played Junior football while working in Nanaimo, turning his life around with guidance and dedication, became a territorial protection of our Leos, was initially slotted onto our Leos as a safety, and got his chance to start as a tailback, following Jamal Robertson’s injury in 2011. Our Leos team, then 1-7, after three previous seasons of demise under Buono, went on to win the Grey Cup. Harris was named the top Canadian in that game. Since that time Harris has been one of the key faces of the franchise, a very popular player who has done a ton of community work, as well as being one of the top tailbacks in the CFL.

This is a sad story. Both have not dealt with things as they should have. Buono has been very skillful in using the media in the past to tell a story that suits him. Harris has been one of the few Leo players over time to also use the media to tell his story.

Buono does not appreciate anyone to use the same tactics he uses. The only story is Buono’s story - he always controls the message, he is the primary voice of our Leos, whether he is HC or GM.

Andrew Harris made a big mistake by going to the media to complain about the offence, following a game in 2013. He was applauded for doing so by a lot of posters on Lionbackers at the time for doing so. I felt Harris should not have complained publically and said so. I knew it would leads to problems and especially lead to Harris having problems with Buono. Benevedes listened to Harris`s concerns but Buono brought in Stefan Logan to send a message to Harris at aa cost of two starting tailback salaries and the duties at tailback were split for the remainder of that season.

Harris complained once again about the offence in 2014 and once again this season. Harris complained to Tedford and he also walked out of the dressing room following a game and didn’t talk to the media, upset about his role in the offence as well as its direction. While I agreed with Harris wanting our offence to ‘attack a defense more’, as well as for a different approach to making our running game successful and for Harris role in it, I believed, once again, it should have been handled privately.

I also believe that Buono should not have used the media to publically state that Andrew Harris needed to prove himself over the last 6 games, as Harris and Buono tried to work out a new contract. It was like firing a scud missile at Harris and it was not wise on Buono’s part.

Harris was sat after one quarter in our final league game and did not win the rushing title, something he really wanted. Jerome Messam played three quarters for Calgary to get his 1,000 yd season and Calgary players mobbed him when he accomplished his goal.

Harris was questioned by the media on locker clean out day and he basically stated that he felt the Leos were not reflecting back to him what he had put into the organization…that he didn’t know if he would be back..that he wanted to be back but he needed to be happy. Buono was upset by the comments and has responded even more strongly, with bank comments and body language comments and lack of leadership comments about Harris role in the locker room (interesting)

Neither should have made the types of comments they have made and kept the contract matter quiet. Harris comments about our offence and his role in it should have been kept inside. Buono’s comment that Harris needed to prove himself should not have been said.

Harris should have realized, with a 7-11 season and a lot of heat on Buono, that this was a bad time to say anything about his contract at this point in time. Buono needs deflections and scape goats for a team that continues to slide under his watch as a GM. Right now Tedford and Harris are in the line of fire.

Tedford, by stating that he had deferred a lot to Wally’s experience this season was also not wise, even if true. It makes Buono even more responsible for our lack of success this season. Buono has responded by not endorsing Tedford.

It’s a joke when Buono says that Tedford is being assessed, just like Buono himself. Buono has already said he is coming back and honoring his contract. He has a life time job with Braley, as long as he wants it. Who is going to assess Buono, except himself. It certainly won’t be Sulsky.

Tedford could become a scapegoat. He may not even want to come back himself. Who knows for sure. A the end of 2013 the scape goats were Stubler and Chapdelaine. Last season Benevedes, who had been mentored by Buono for the HC job for many seasons before and whom Buono had advised and mentored constantly during the time Benevedes was a HC was let go. Tedford has deferred to Buono this season, like Benevedes before him and the results have not turned out well.

Buono may also be contemplating a return to coaching. He obviously has struggled with the sole GM role and leaving the sidelines and prefers to be in the cherry picker, writing coaching notes, being at the practice field, and `mentoring coaches`than doing his GM duties. But if Buono is contemplating a return to the sidelines he needs to remember 2008, 2009, 2010, and early 2011 and not just the remainder of the 2011 season. Fans and media were calling for Buono to step down as HC in 2010 and only that miraculous season allowed Buono to leave the game on a high note.

The biggest message to me is if you want to coach this Leos team, you have to coach this team in the ways Buono advises as the great mentor (to your demise) and if you don`t coach this team the way Buono advises, it will also be your demise. How is that for a no win situation.

The message to veteran players is not a good one and has not been here for a long time. I believe both Buono and Harris are both at fault. Both Buono and Harris have a lot of pride. In order to overcome their challenges in life, both have needed it.

But Buono is a very experienced former HC and has a ton of experience as a GM and life experience. Buono`s comments have been much more disparaging and personal that any comments Harris had made. Buono should be mature and wise and certainly more mature and wiser than Harris. He is not acting like it.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:Still think Matt Serekes is on to something when he suggested Wally is contemplating a return to coaching.
Certainly hope not but would not be surprised if this is what he wants to discuss further with Skulsky and Braley. That was certainly the rumour earlier in the season and he remains a very much hands on GM. I just can't see Wally selling them on the idea of promoting Washington with Tedford still under contract. However, Wally telling them he would consider returning as head coach is a different story.
This fan would not be surprised if Wally Buono is seriously considering a return to the sidelines.

From the comments of Jeff Tedford one can surmise that he leaned heavily upon the guidance of Wally this year, doing a lot of listening and holding back on instituting his own ideas. The systems looked to be ones that Wally has always preferred. If Wally has been the de facto Head Coach, for both Mike Benevides and Jeff Tedford, he might as well be the Head Coach in name and in practice.

Wally's comment when asked about Tedford's work this year, was far, far, far from a glowing endorsement.

Wally returning as HC? It would clarify things. The results have not been good under Tedford. Do they look like they will improve? Any hope for improvement would seem to rest with Jonathon Jennings, not the coaching staff. Some athletes can go beyond what is drawn up in the playbook. Jennings seems to be one of those rare ones.

As we move into the off season, times are not happy in Lion Land. Wally is not happy. Harris is not happy. Fans are not happy. Results are poor. And the owner is back East, seemingly just letting things go. He has farmed the team out to Wally Buono, and to a lesser degree, to Dennis Skulsky. And to this fan it looks like a screwed up mess. Big time.

It ain't pretty. If Wally returned as Head Coach, would fans be happy with that move? Some would. Some would not.

I would be surprised if Wally actually does return as Head Coach. I don't think it would bring good results. But it would tend to bring closure to a lot of issues.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Moved my post from the Harris thread to here ...
David wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote:When you have been on the consumer end of the product that the Lions have been doling out increasingly over the last few years, you should feel some heat. I can't really think of another GM that would get this kind of free pass in the league today.
True. I am disturbed when I hear Skulsky in his presser yesterday saying things like, "Wally is an icon when it comes to this league....Wally is going to know when it's time not to be here."

He was given a de facto lifetime contract by Braley, which is lunacy. Even Phil Jackson wasn't given that deal. One needs to look at the declining metrics since 2011, on the field and off. His drafting record. (In)ability to sign free agents. Blind loyalty to many sub-par coodinators. All of it.

DH :cool:
Bang on.

If it is a mess inside the walls, as it has been on the field, and at the turnstiles, then one has to place much blame on David Braley. The results have slid down the slope on the watch of Wally Buono and, IMO to a lesser degree on that of Dennis Skulsky. But Braley gave that "lifetime contract" to Wally Buono. There would seem to be no way that Dennis Skulsky has the authority to fire Wally Buono. Only Braley can fire Buono. Is Wally Buono likely to remove himself? We have never seen any evidence of that. He asks: "Why should I?" Braley is the absentee owner back East. The Lions are pretty much the play thing of Wally Buono, although he does go about his business in a serious manner.

This entire arrangement is dysfunctional, it seems to me. And I think we see that with the team. The win/loss record. The discord between the team and veteran players. The falling attendance, interest and support. The comments in the media.

It ain't pretty. And it ain't about to improve.

In its own way, it is a tragedy playing out in public. And there is pain everywhere. In the bigger picture, the Lions do not really belong to David Braley. And they do not belong to Wally Buono. They belong to the community.

Who runs the team? I think it is clear that Wally Buono runs the team. The team reflects his preferences and his leadership. No matter who gets blamed or fired.

At one point in Sekeres poll, it was 65-35 wanting Wally Buono to retire. I expect the final results were similar.

Just IMO ... And we here, with different views, praise, support and criticism, are all fans. Passionate fans.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

cromartie
Hall of Famer

Buono is likely nearing the end of a long and hugely successful career. I am sure that he has thought long and hard about a succession plan
Yes. That succession plan was Mike Benevides, who had almost a decade of training before taking over as Head Coach. How'd that work out?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

From an earlier thread ...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28326&p=366109&hilit=poll#p366109

Poll ... Who is responsible for the sad state of our team? (October 11, 2015)

Blitz
Team Captain

cromartie wrote:
Buono is likely nearing the end of a long and hugely successful career. I am sure that he has thought long and hard about a succession plan
Yes. That succession plan was Mike Benevides, who had almost a decade of training before taking over as Head Coach. How'd that work out?
This fan would not be surprised if Wally Buono is seriously considering a return to the sidelines. WCJ
I think Wally is seriously contemplating it too.

I think the play of Jennings is a key to Wally`s serious consideration.

I believe five things would drive Wally`s decision to return: 1) it would prove that no one can coach like he can - ego - impossible to replace a legend 2) the cards are right - its a young team that has gained experience and he has a quarterback who he believes can lead us to the promised land 3) our record sucked this year so the downside risks are low and the upside looks rewarding 4) Wally prefers the spot light and the action of being a coach rather than a GM and has struggled to 'let go' 5) he would only coach for the 2016 season and then pass the torch on to his 'next one' that he has mentored- this time likely Mark Washington, who will talk about the huge footsteps of the great one he is following....and so on and so on.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:
cromartie wrote:
This fan would not be surprised if Wally Buono is seriously considering a return to the sidelines. WCJ
I think Wally is seriously contemplating it too.

I think the play of Jennings is a key to Wally`s serious consideration.

I believe five things would drive Wally`s decision to return: 1) it would prove that no one can coach like he can - ego - impossible to replace a legend 2) the cards are right - its a young team that has gained experience and he has a quarterback who he believes can lead us to the promised land 3) our record sucked this year so the downside risks are low and the upside looks rewarding 4) Wally prefers the spot light and the action of being a coach rather than a GM and has struggled to 'let go' 5) he would only coach for the 2016 season and then pass the torch on to his 'next one' that he has mentored- this time likely Mark Washington, who will talk about the huge footsteps of the great one he is following....and so on and so on.
Completely agree Blitz. Wally could have easily said "I would like to see Jeff back next season but it's something I need to discuss further with David and Dennis" but he chose not to. The biggest hitch I see is Braley agreeing to payout the $200,000 or whatever is left on Tedford's contract.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

From Mike Beamish in the Sun ...

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/lion ... z3ruvyQLLq
Lions GM Wally Buono blasts bothered Harris for outburst

GM says running back may want to ‘go work in a bank’ after airing frustrations in public

By Mike Beamish, Vancouver Sun November 18, 2015
Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/lion ... z3ryP5OLLN
Buono, an old-school football man who has a lawyer but doesn’t believe a clubhouse should have one, also a believes a locker-room is where you pile dirty laundry, not publicly air it out. After stating they had an “open and candid” conversation about a new contract, Buono said Harris going public with his beefs cast a negative light on the locker-room.

“Do you think we’re not frustrated, going 7-11?” Buono told a news conference in Surrey. “Do you think people in Dennis’s (president Skulsky) and my office aren’t frustrated? At the end of it, it’s partly our fault and we’ve got to show responsibility. You’re a professional athlete, you’re a professional coach, you’re a professional GM. I don’t stand up here, every week, and show my frustrations. You’ve got to be enough of a pro to know you can’t do that.”
Although Wally did not directly name Andrew Harris, he is clearly calling him out for stating his case to the media. And then Wally states his own case to the media. It seems to be OK for the GM to take the disagreement to the public, but the GM does not want the player to do that. Times have changed. This fan thinks Andrew's public comments were restrained and reasonable.
“He (Leone) didn’t like it (his benching),” Buono said. “But, at the end of the day, he did what I hoped he would do. He didn’t pout. He took the time to make himself better. Was he disappointed? Yes. Was it tough for him the last couple of games? Yes. But he stroked the ball well against Calgary. Professional football is tough. When you’re not doing well, everybody sees it and criticizes you. But, if you don’t like it, go do something else, or go work in a bank. Nobody’ll know what you’re doing, and nobody will care.”
Again, although not naming Andrew here, Wally is comparing the non-complaining Leone with that of nobody else but Andrew Harris. And again, although he does not name Andrew Harris, he is clearly directing his "go work in a bank" comment at Andrew Harris.
As for his banking future, Buono is not about to join the grumpy old men parked on a bench and whining in TD Canada Trust’s popular TV commercial.

Under contract through the 2016 season and into 2017, the 65-year-old intends to see it through. He was asked the same question by the team’s host broadcaster, TSN 1040, on Monday, the day after the Lions’ fourth straight playoff elimination in the first round. For emphasis, Buono repeated it Wednesday. He’s not going anywhere — unlike Harris.

“I’ve said this over and over again,” he said. “I have a contract until ’17. I’ve made a commitment to the people who run the organization, both to David (Braley) and Dennis. And I’m going to do that.”
Wally is not about to retire. He asks: "Why should I?" Well it seems to this fan that most owners, who are not absentee thousands of miles away, having farmed out the team to Wally Buono, and to a lesser extent, Dennis Skulsky, would have made changes at the top long ago. 13-5. 11-7. 9-9. 7-11. Even the Cup in 2011 was a miracle year, after a terrible start.
After the Lions’ finished 9-9 last season — outscored 120-36 in their final three games, including a 50-17 annihilation in the East Division semifinal — Buono suggested, “We all have to share in the blame.”

Yet most of it fell on head coach Mike Benevides, who was fired on Nov. 17 and replaced by Jeff Tedford a month later.

Those looking for a mea culpa or an act of contrition on Buono’s part this year will be disappointed. That’s the word the GM used — “disappointed” — when asked if he was assessing his role in a season in which the Lions not only did more backsliding in the standings but, more profoundly, in attendance, retreating to levels not seen since before the dawn of the Buono era in B.C. (2003).

“Obviously, everybody, every year, has to self-evaluate,” Buono said. “You just don’t evaluate the people below you. You evaluate yourself. From that point of view, that’s going to be done.”
Yes, it seems all of the blame fell on Mike Benevides, Wally's chosen successor, his protégé. And earlier, Rich Stubler and Jacques Chapdelaine were cast adrift.

So Wally evaluates himself after poor results. And fires other people.
Tedford’s coaching will be part of the evaluation process. Buono said he couldn’t categorically guarantee that he would be back (Tedford still has a year to run on his contract). But it seems highly unlikely that the trumpeted appointment of last December won’t return, having expressed the desire to do so.

“It’s a tough question to answer,” Buono said. “I’ve still got to sit down with David and Dennis and assess the whole situation. My situation included. For me to say anybody is going to be back would be premature.”
No endorsement for Tedford. Astonishing. Setting up the dismissal? Sending out a trial balloon? If Tedford is let go, one asks: Who hired him? No consequences for Wally for that decision? No. Fire Tedford.

It is nice when you have a "lifetime contract." Although there is some heat in the media, and from some fans.

Too negative? Well, we are 7 and 11, on a downslope. Some wish to look at it and say what they see. It ain't pretty.

South Pender
Legend

It seems to me that Wally's comments for public consumption may not jibe with private conversations he may have had with Tedford. After a poor season--both on the field and at the gate--it is prudent to acknowledge that a complete appraisal--involving the GM down to the players--is needed and will take place. Renewal of season's tickets is a primary concern, and promising evaluation and improvements is really needed right now. So we have:

“Obviously, everybody, every year, has to self-evaluate,” Buono said. “You just don’t evaluate the people below you. You evaluate yourself. From that point of view, that’s going to be done.”

With this approach, Wally may feel that he can't dilute the message to the public by exempting one component of the operation, and so we get:

“It’s a tough question to answer [re Tedford],” Buono said. “I’ve still got to sit down with David and Dennis and assess the whole situation. My situation included. For me to say anybody is going to be back would be premature.”

I'd be very surprised if Tedford were to be jettisoned after this one season (although he may wish to take himself out), and it wouldn't surprise me if Wally had had conversations with Tedford assuring him of continued employment, but letting him know that any statement he (Wally) was to make re evaluation and holding folks accountable would have to include everyone.
maxlion
Legend

Wally's comments on Tedford clearly show that there is less than unanimous support for Tedford within the organization.

In this situation, the GM has 3 choices:
1. Speak his mind openly.
2. Refuse to comment.
3. Publicly back the coach while doing evaluations behind closed doors.

Fans and media tend to prefer #1, but it puts the coach in an awkward and unfair position as it forces him to have to then respond publicly. Wally should have chosen # 2 or #3. His comments on Harris I think were more justified, as Harris had already made incendiary statements to the media, and I thought that Wally's response was fairly restrained--though he would've been better off not commenting. Publicly turning your back on the coach and leaving him twisting in the wind is less excusable.

What are the reasons for the lack of support for Tedford? Win-loss record? Relationships with players, asst. coaches, gm? Disagreement on systems, personnel, organizational support? These things have never been made public, so everything written on this forum is just speculation. If this information was made public, would posters on here side with Tedford or Buono? Really no way to know, some posters' preconceived biases based on a few fairytales notwithstanding.

I felt that the organization was moving in the right direction--developing lots of younger players, bringing in experienced successful coaches like Cortez and Tedford, visible improvement throughout the year. If the Tedford relationship falls apart and we are starting again with a whole new coaching staff, I would be much less optimistic about the future of the team under Buono's leadership.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote:When you have been on the consumer end of the product that the Lions have been doling out increasingly over the last few years, you should feel some heat. I can't really think of another GM that would get this kind of free pass in the league today.
True. I am disturbed when I hear Skulsky in his presser yesterday saying things like, "Wally is an icon in this league....he will know when it's the right time (to step down)."

He was given a de facto lifetime contract by Braley, which is lunacy. Even Phil Jackson wasn't given that deal. One needs to look at the declining metrics since 2011, on the field and off. His drafting record. (In)ability to sign free agents. Blind loyalty to many sub-par coodinators. All of it.

DH :cool:
Skulsky's comment is a concern. I agree, David.

Skulsky is President & CEO. He pretty much says that because Wally is an icon, Wally can decide for himself when to leave. Wally is beyond the President's authority. It seems quite evident that this creates a buffer area, where Wally is untouchable. So Braley, back East, goes about his other business interests. And Wally Buono runs the B.C. Lions as his own personal fiefdom. As noted numerous times, if the team was having great success, or even moderate success, as with a winning record, that would not be a problem.

Can the community be happy with the present state of the Lions? I guess some people are content or willing to let things run (or they still have hopes for the present organization). Others see the need for change at the top. New ownership. New top level management. And some might say, "But what if the team falls apart and hits rock bottom?" Well we might be there already. And we might stay there for a good long time. We are pretty much on the level of Winnipeg and Saskatchewan and Montreal, it seems to me.

All these teams want to win. Montreal is going through change now. Saskatchewan is going through change now. Winnipeg started serious change earlier. They have acted on their discontent.

Can we go back up, as things stand now? I suppose. But is it likely? Can we turn the downslide around? Is it likely? Can Wally change and adapt, especially as regards systems and philosophy? Not much evidence of that so far, it seems to me. Can Wally improve the culture and the climate in his organization? No evidence of that so far.

It seems there is dysfunction within the B.C. Lions organization that is not likely to go away under the current leadership.

There is much evidence on which to make some judgments. The record. The public comments. What we see. What is said. What is not said. Press conferences. Comments from the media. And some media do have inside information. In today's world, stuff gets out. People talk. Bob Woodward could probably get inside and be a fly on the wall.

So it seems to this fan ...

Blitz
Team Captain

maxlion wrote:Wally's comments on Tedford clearly show that there is less than unanimous support for Tedford within the organization.

2. Refuse to comment.

Fans and media tend to prefer #1, but it puts the coach in an awkward and unfair position as it forces him to have to then respond publicly. Wally should have chosen # 2 or #3. His comments on Harris I think were more justified, as Harris had already made incendiary statements to the media, and I thought that Wally's response was fairly restrained--though he would've been better off not commenting. Publicly turning your back on the coach and leaving him twisting in the wind is less excusable.

What are the reasons for the lack of support for Tedford? Win-loss record? Relationships with players, asst. coaches, gm? Disagreement on systems, personnel, organizational support? These things have never been made public, so everything written on this forum is just speculation. If this information was made public, would posters on here side with Tedford or Buono? Really no way to know, some posters' preconceived biases based on a few fairytales notwithstanding.

I felt that the organization was moving in the right direction--developing lots of younger players, bringing in experienced successful coaches like Cortez and Tedford, visible improvement throughout the year. If the Tedford relationship falls apart and we are starting again with a whole new coaching staff, I would be much less optimistic about the future of the team under Buono's leadership.
Me too.

Buono also could have said that Jeff Tedford did a good job with a lot of our young players this season but we didn't have a winning season so the first step is self-evaluation as well as evaluation of all of our roles. He could have said that it was Tedford who chose Jennings from all the quarterback evaluation camps (Jennings was working in a warehouse last year) and did a great job of having him prepared to step in.

Ego and money will drive Buono's decision of whether to return or not. Can he be happy enough with his miraculous 2011 season and not want to risk that final legacy or does he need the ego food to be in the limelight being the HC again and driving and controlling everything. Secondly, if Tedford is getting close to $500,000 to coach the team this season, Wally could argue for the same or close to it to be he HC for a season and get an extra kick for his retirement plans. Even if Wally walks from the G.M. role in 2017, I'm sure he will set himself up as a consultant to the G.M. or something that will keep him involved and the money coming in.

It will either be Tedford back or Wally coaching and it will be Wally who makes that call. He will play it as best for the organization, the fans, etc. if he decides to return to the sidelines. He would be smart not too...but I think the sole GM role has been difficult for him. There isn't a microphone or an interview before or after a game that he isn't running towards. He is the most quoted GM in the league by about 10 times or more. He's even showing tape to reporters.

Its interesting that fans voted that Buono was most responsible and not Tedford. We all know Wally's record here and in Calgary. Yet there was no great outpouring of loss from Calgary fans when he was let go there. Wally got this franchise really turned around from 2003-2007, of course with tremendous people around him like Ackles and O'Billovich.

But over time we see the patterns with Wally as they did in Calgary, where he had Shivers bringing him in top players and Calgary had a huge budget to pay them if Wally chose to, without the SMS and the seats full there. Of course its about winning but its also always about Wally.

There is no question that Wally has a long time successful record as a HC, especially during the regular season although his playoff record is not as good, in that he most often went in as the favorite and lost too many.

But since 2007, with Wally as GM the entire time and as HC for some of those seasons, we've really only had two very good seasons - the last 10 games of 2011 and the playoffs and 2012.

Wally has a record of cutting or trading vets, no matter how well they played for us in the past or what they have given to the community, as well as often forcing them to take a cut in their salaries when he has seen diminishing returns. Perhaps the same should hold for Wally. Perhaps he should take a cut in salary. Perhaps his best due date as a GM has past. Past performance doesn't count with players so being an icon shouldn't count when it comes to him either.

I think most people on this board understood that Tedford had a tough job in front of him this season. Lulay had only played one game last season, was still recovering from injury, and we had no young quarterback or really any quarterback who was good enough to step in. Chemistry was bad, we had no defensive tackles left after Wally made the decision to move Westerman outside, our receiving crew was weak outside of Arsenault, we had no center who could play the position well enough, we had a defensive coordinator whose defense had fallen apart at the end of last seasona, we had few player leaders, our returners were jettisoned, and our team had imploded at the end of 2014.

I agree with you maxlion, we don't know the inside story. But the outside story, on top of Wally's controlling ways, which we do know about, would have made this a very tough season for any new Head Coach.
InUrFace
Rookie

If this happens I for one will be done with Wally and this team. Until he is gone and finally out the picture. This is getting to much. As a loyal fan. I look at Jeff bringing in some key players on offense. If it wasnt for Jeff they wouldnt even consider to come here. No one likes Wally as a player and specially as a free agent. He cant land any guy he wants or goes for. He also is to cheap to make this Oline better. He has to go one way or another. If he becomes head coach next year ... Im done. I will not watch him on the side lines biting his lip and making wrong calls and challenges. We as a community need to reach out to David B and write him our concerns about Wally and where this team is going. Season ticket holders need to step up and say no more to Wally. If there is no fans at games or no season tickets being sold ...this is how we get rid of Wally once and for all. Time to take a stand. So let me ask anyone have contact to David B on here ... if so lets get this going now.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

maxlion wrote:Wally's comments on Tedford clearly show that there is less than unanimous support for Tedford within the organization.

2. Refuse to comment.

Are you Christy Buono? Seriously. Do you know what makes a democracy work? CRITICAL THINKING! Do you know what makes a dictatorship work? SHEEP! Listening to you apologize for Buono is one thing, and its embarrassing, but when you INVENT stuff designed to mislead fans and then protect dear Wally while at the same time accusing BLITZ of doing it, when he hasn't...not once...NOT EVER...is beyond believable!
Wally's comments on Tedford clearly show that there is less than unanimous support for Tedford within the organization.

NO! It shows that a HC that "came out" to the media with honesty (in that he leaned on Buono in his first year as HC in the CFL) is to be PUNISHED for this "indiscretion". Tedford was publicly embarrassed by a GM who's team and fan base is in SHAMBLES. Nowhere do Buono's comments state or imply that David Braley is unhappy with Jeff Tedford. You are inventing a myth to deflect the blame away directly from "just Wally".
2. Refuse to comment.
No, the GM has only ONE CHOICE when he goes out in public and rips a player for spreading "locker room secrets" publicly! You can't have it both ways...unless of course you are Wally Buono who started this "tete a tete" with Andrew Harris by saying that Harris (one of the best players in the CFL since 2011 and a multiple award winner) "needed to prove himself over the last half of the season". Really? Needed to prove himself? Do any of you remember the articles in the paper saying that Harris was on pace to break the CFL's most yards rushing in one season record until he was injured and team's simply focused on taking Harris away as our primary option?????? Or do you forget that little nugget? What veteran award winning RB needs to prove a thing after that kind of start to a season??? As a GM, you don't logically tell the public that "your team" doesn't favour airing out its dirty laundry by airing out its dirty laundry...after starting a war of words by launching (as Blitz said) a Scud missile! Do you kind of get where I am coming from on this one???
Wally had almost 2 months to think about his comments regarding Harris proving himself. Justified to fire back at Andrew's POST SEASON comments about being a Free Agent??? Well, if you subscribe to the world where Wally gets to have everything his own way, I guess so, but to those of us in reality..."Incendiary statements to the media" by Harris??? How did you get that when Andrew quietly and calmly answered a reporter's question...and followed it up by saying that he loved BC and wanted to remain a Lion...hmmm..."Wally was fairly restrained", again, really??? In response to one player's comments about being a free agent and wanting to return, Wally used a public show to go off his rails in implying that Harris (and any others who wanted to tell the truth publicly) might want to take up banking instead of continuing his career as an All Star RB. Once again, really??? There is no logic in that ludicrous statement at all, only anger and rage at being PERCEIVED as singled out by all these plotting players and coaches who he thinks are blaming him. At least you implied that Wally's "Harris comments" weren't appropriate by denouncing his "lack of support" towards his first year coach.

There we go, now you have added your own "incendiary comments" to go along with Wally's. "...Really no way to know, some posters' preconceived biases based on a few fairytales notwithstanding"...there is a difference between fairytales and fact...regarding Wally's stranglehold of the Lions franchise, I would point to his own comments from yesterday...they read EXACTLY like the character that Blitz laid out for all of us in detail. They were not sympathetic towards fans, players and coaches, they were confrontational, aggressive and then self defensive. Finally, "visible improvement throughout the year"...we were, in fact, GETTING WORSE as the season went on...the 2 key changes??? One, Lulay and finally Beck were injured FORCING Jennings into playing, and two, with ALL THREE ASPECTS to his team last in every league category (Off, Def and S Ts), the zombie coach (Jeff Tedford) took an active role in the game plans of his coordinators, starting with the UNspecial teams. Tedford was smart enough to ensure that this change made it into the newspapers. ONLY then did this team show us ANY improvement and hope for the future. These events also coincided with key personnel changes (half way into the season), where players were finally put into their actual positions instead of "experiments" and "hunches".

Most fans point to the Lions problems under Buono as a 4 year decline...that's not accurate. In both 2009 and 2010 the Lions had identical 8-10 records. They then started the 2011 season at 1-6 before Wally had no other choice but to allow his Assistants to make significant changes on both offence and defence. Chapball and Andrew Harris were born, and on defence, its no secret that Rich Stubler took over the design and game planning while Benevides sent out signals to the players AFTER hearing them in his headset. From there, the Lions slowly went back to "Wallyball" and the decline continued. First, Stubler and Chaps were blamed, second, Mike Benevides (and of course various veterans and assistant coaches that didn't follow the WB playbook). But in a Capitalistic world, the ultimate reality is at the turnstiles and on TV...and there the Lions are hurting, with numbers that go back to the PRE Wally Buono era. So yes, EVERYTHING in the Lion's organization should come "under review", including Buono (as you yourself posted Wally's own comments regarding this); HOWEVER, Wally is NOT coming "under review"...he has already stated perfectly clearly that he is under contract until 2017 (which is NOT true as it implies the 2017 season) and he intends to fulfill his obligations. Wally said "why should I step down?" and this says it all. This team has been declining over a 7 year period, most veterans and coaches are gone, but Buono stays...it seems that his ruthless approach to business applies to everyone else, but not himself (and his "friends" that tow the line).
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
leo4life
All Star

Bouno made a career out of dumping vetrans and now hes the Vet trying to hang around too long.Mediocre GM so far and casts too large of a shadow on any of his coaching staff.Im a long time season ticket holder and will not renew till he steps down.Scott Ackles would be a good choice along with a new scouting staff.Tedford could stay in place and he could revamp his staff as his cordinaters havent helped like they should have.Whos your Grey Cup winner out there? Eskimos over Redblacks :rockin: