2015 Schedule Released - Women's World Cup implications

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Dusty wrote:
sj-roc wrote:I can confirm as I previously mentioned, the Esks play 17 weeks in a row. Their byes come in weeks 2 and 20. :shock:

We'll be facing them in Weeks 7 (home), 14 (away) and 17 (away).
and on Week 21..... You heard it here first!!!
Dusty
Already conceding first place? :shock:
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:I've at least seen the Riders' portion of the schedule on their site and I see they're the ones who visit us twice this year. No doubt Skulsky is happy with this:

(1) Fri Jul 10. This is prob our home opener. 7pm kickoff.

(2) Sat Oct 3. 4pm kickoff. Might help entice fans from island and outlying areas who want to get home same night.
Wonder which one is Guarantee Win night ?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Only one afternoon home game. :thup: :thup:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Only one afternoon home game. :thup: :thup:
There's

:football: one 1pm kickoff: the Sun Sep 13 game vs Ott,
:football: two 4pm kickoffs: the 2nd Ssk visit on Sat Oct 3 and the final week of the season vs Cgy on Sat Nov 7, and
:football: the remaining six games all kickoff at 7pm.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
smphantom
Legend

I almost barfed when I saw 2 Thursday night games! Are you serious? My job requires me to be in bed at 8:30 - 9 at night for a 4:45 am wake up call, so scratch those games off my season tickets. I called the Lions office asking to cancel my seats, but they will not, telling me the best they can do is have me be a Flex Pack holder or remain a STH and sell those two games at face value. Leaning towards a 3 game Flex Pack and watch the rest in HD at home.

Wish now that we can see the schedule before renewing Season Tickets.
Stay thirsty my friends.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Mike Beamish writes about the Lions' search for a preseason game venue. UBC TBirds' coach Blake Nill is keen to have it at UBC. Other possibilities are Kamloops (TC site), Victoria and Fort Mac, where two games are already scheduled: the Esks' preseason home game and the Argos' reg season "home opener". Sounds like there are no Lower Mainland options under consideration at this time.

The FIFA WWC has thrown a lot of chaos into the schedule with many CFL venues across the country hosting matches in June and early July. The Pan Am Games' soccer matches have also bumped the TiCats out of their home field for all of July.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/foot ... story.html
Displaced by Women's World Cup, Lions seeking a place to play preseason contest
By Mike Beamish, Vancouver Sun February 13, 2015

David Sidoo Field at Thunderbird Stadium, on the campus of the University of B.C., is one of the proposed venues for a Canadian Football League pre-season game in June.

The B.C. Lions, displaced from BC Place Stadium because of the FIFA Women’s World Cup soccer tournament, are looking for an alternative arrangement for the friendly against the Edmonton Eskimos.

The date and location were both listed as to be determined when the CFL released its 2015 schedule on Friday. The Lions will play the Stampeders on June 12 in their first pre-season game, at McMahon Stadium in Calgary.

“Lots of factors go into staging the (Lions pre-season) game, obviously — impact on season ticket holders, suitable field, seating, media area, radio broadcast, dressing rooms, etc.,” said Lions spokesman Jamie Cartmell. “Right now, we’re in the early stages of that process.”

Kamloops, where the Lions train, Victoria and, possibly, Shell Place, in Fort McMurray, Alta., are also under consideration for the pre-season contest.

Blake Nill, UBC football’s head coach, however, is lobbying to have that game played on the Point Grey campus. Nill wants UBC home games to be “an event.” He says the natural drawing power of two professional teams, even if it’s a one-off, would establish “a vision” for UBC students and alumni of what the football atmosphere on campus could be.

T-Bird Stadium has seating for 3,500 in the main stadium. But grass seating, on the west side knoll, and temporary seating, beyond the end zones, could maximize capacity.

“I’ve been part of meetings discussing the reality of such an opportunity,” Nill said. “I would definitely like to see that game held here. Everything in my world is about recruiting. To have that game played at UBC — whether it was televised or not — would allow people to see the beauty of the campus and stadium. It’s like having a commercial, to promote your school and your facilities.”

The Lions’ pre-season schedule is not the only one affected by the Women’s World Cup. The Eskimos will play their first pre-season game in Fort McMurray, against the Saskatchewan Roughriders, on June 13, with Commonwealth Stadium unavailable.

Because TD Place Stadium in Ottawa also is in use for the World Cup, the Redblacks will be the home team for a pre-season game at PEPS Stadium, on the University of Laval campus, in Quebec City, against the Montreal Alouettes, also on June 13.

In the strangest scheduling quirk, the Argonauts are the “home” team in Fort McMurray for Toronto’s season opener against Edmonton on June 27. Because of the Blue Jays’ schedule and the 2015 Pan-American Games — Rogers Centre is the main event centre — the Argos will be displaced until Aug. 8.

B.C. has an opening week bye before its regular-season opener, July 4 in Ottawa. The Lions’ home opener is Friday, July 10, against the Roughriders.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

smphantom wrote:I almost barfed when I saw 2 Thursday night games! Are you serious? My job requires me to be in bed at 8:30 - 9 at night for a 4:45 am wake up call, so scratch those games off my season tickets. I called the Lions office asking to cancel my seats, but they will not, telling me the best they can do is have me be a Flex Pack holder or remain a STH and sell those two games at face value. Leaning towards a 3 game Flex Pack and watch the rest in HD at home.

It was clear as soon as the Whitecaps and WWC schedule was set, not to mention two summer concert events, that the Lions' home schedule was going to be a bit of a dog's breakfast. Few fans around the league are happy with the schedule. The Argos and TiCats don't have their proper home openers until August. The Esks, even though they get an extra de facto home game by playing (as technically the visiting team) the Argos at Fort Mac, have to play 17 straight weeks without a bye. Doesn't matter which team you cheer for; chances are you'll find something to dislike about this year's schedule.

As for Thu games, it's almost inevitable that we have to host those from time to time as long as the league and TSN insists on broadcasting on this night. Overall in the long run, we do pretty good in avoiding those nights compared to other teams but we're not going to get our way every year.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The B.C. Lions, displaced from BC Place Stadium because of the FIFA Women’s World Cup soccer tournament, are looking for an alternative arrangement for the friendly against the Edmonton Eskimos.
Friendly ? Are we going to start calling the field "pitch" ? If the Lions shut out the opponent, does the defence gets credit for a "clean sheet?"
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Friendly ? Are we going to start calling the field "pitch" ? If the Lions shut out the opponent, does the defence gets credit for a "clean sheet?"
I was thinking MB's use of that word might be read as a subtle sneer at how soccer seems to be dictating the Lions' comings and goings @BCP for much of this season.
JohnHenry
Champion

Games early in the season are often a tough sell in most markets, with attendance rising as the season goes on...especially in southern Ontario with the official football season kicking off in Sept. So the Argos and Ticats having no home games in July with more games in the Fall, that will probably work out fine. Considering the handicaps due to World Cup and Pan-Parapan Games, the schedule is the most balanced in years. Most teams got the home dates and start times they preferred. The 17 games in a row for the Esks is tough but at least they get 2 byes before the playoffs...CFL teams used to get only one bye in 19 weeks before 2014.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

smphantom wrote:I almost barfed when I saw 2 Thursday night games! Are you serious? My job requires me to be in bed at 8:30 - 9 at night for a 4:45 am wake up call, so scratch those games off my season tickets. I called the Lions office asking to cancel my seats, but they will not, telling me the best they can do is have me be a Flex Pack holder or remain a STH and sell those two games at face value. Leaning towards a 3 game Flex Pack and watch the rest in HD at home.

I'm probably going to miss four regular season games. Thursday nights and Sunday afternoons are almost impossible for me, especially in the summer months. I'm also scheduled to be out of town for the Hamilton game in October. I think I had to miss three games last year. Fans have made it clear over the years that they prefer Saturday and Friday nights, in that order, yet each year it seems we are getting more afternoon or midweek games that alienate the core fan base.
smphantom
Legend

Throw in the couple of 4pm Saturday games, the Sunday afternoon game, and the July 24 game (Going to see the Blue Jays in Seattle) I can only make 3 games. Therefore it will be a 3 game Flexpack for me this season.
Stay thirsty my friends.
David
Team Captain

I am wondering who at the Lions' office thinks afternoon games are a good idea? While it doesn't make much difference to me (personally), we have two 4:00pm games and a 1:00pm game. That's a third of our home game schedule. Not sure what I am missing here, but I have yet to see a cause-effect with an attendance spike by playing in the afternoon. sj-roc probably has the data to support this, but since the BC Place renovation was completed in 2011 and they introduced afternoon games in 2012, I don't think overall they could be characterized as 'an unqualified success' (last year's BC/Rider game notwithstanding).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

David wrote:I am wondering who at the Lions' office thinks afternoon games are a good idea? While it doesn't make much difference to me (personally), we have two 4:00pm games and a 1:00pm game. That's a third of our home game schedule. Not sure what I am missing here, but I have yet to see a cause-effect with an attendance spike by playing in the afternoon. sj-roc probably has the data to support this, but since the BC Place renovation was completed in 2011 and they introduced afternoon games in 2012, I don't think overall they could be characterized as 'an unqualified success' (last year's BC/Rider game notwithstanding).

Not sure if I have the exact type of data you're looking for but I wonder if these increasing numbers of earlier kickoffs in recent years is as much on TSN and/or the league and their influence over the schedule as on the Lions. The Lions won't gripe too much publicly about the nature of the schedule as the negativity will just rub off on the market and make matters even worse.

At any rate it's tough to draw solid conclusions from attendances because there are so many factors that drive the gate: how late in the season, division opponent, competing local events, presence/lack of storylines going into the game, was there also a home game just the week before to create a saturation effect, etc. Makes it tough to isolate the role of kickoff time. While it helps (or ought to help) draw in more fans from outlying areas for whom evening kickoffs aren't as manageable, they probably aren't as popular with core fans in the immediate LM. Anecdotally, I forget if this was last season or a previous year (pretty sure I've posted this story before), but one day a friend of mine was returning from Vancouver Island on a PCL bus/ferry route, happened to be the same day the Riders had a kickoff later that same afternoon @BCP. She told me the bus was packed with Rider fans (and they weren't particularly young either, all 40s and up). I'm thinking it was 2013 at latest.

If they're not already doing so, it would prob be a good idea for the Lions to sell these three early kickoff games as a "matinee mini-pak" with a slight discount to price them somewhere between the single game full rate and the ST discount rate, and see where the buyers are located. If there's a big surge from outlying buyers who don't otherwise attend then maybe it's worth keeping some of these early kickoffs. Just off the top of my head, I recall one recent year (2012?) where we had three early kickoffs all packed together, something like three out of a stretch of four home games in a row or maybe even all in a row. This year they're in weeks 12, 15 and 20. Not too bad considering the lack of early season Sat/Sun availability for early starts, but that's still packing them into three of the last five home games (the other two are in weeks 16 & 18) with no early starts among the first four; if early kickoffs have to go into the schedule, you'd prob still prefer to see things spread a little better than this.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

David wrote:I am wondering who at the Lions' office thinks afternoon games are a good idea? While it doesn't make much difference to me (personally), we have two 4:00pm games and a 1:00pm game. That's a third of our home game schedule. Not sure what I am missing here, but I have yet to see a cause-effect with an attendance spike by playing in the afternoon. sj-roc probably has the data to support this, but since the BC Place renovation was completed in 2011 and they introduced afternoon games in 2012, I don't think overall they could be characterized as 'an unqualified success' (last year's BC/Rider game notwithstanding).

I hadn't been keeping track of kickoff times in any of the attendance data I've been compiling but since I found such data at stats.cfldb.ca I decided to see what was up. I've taken averages for each kickoff time of 1pm, 4pm and 7pm for every regular season game @BCP since the start of the 2002 season; I picked this starting point as it was when Ackles returned. The Tempire games have been axed out as the lower capacity hampers interpretation of the numbers; likewise, the 50k crowd from BCPII opening night (2011/09/30) is spurious and best omitted from the analysis.

This leaves 102 regular season games:

:football: 94 of these have kicked off at 7pm or later. Actually, one game in 2013 KO'ed at 6pm (vs Cgy) but I'm including it in this category anyway instead of "orphaning" it. 54 of these KO'ed at 7pm, 38 at 7:30pm (the last of which was the 2009 closer — the final game played under the old roof) and one lone game in 2003 (vs Ott Renegades on a Thu) had an 8pm KO. All lumped into one group.

:football: We've had six games that kicked off at either 4pm (all but one) or 3pm (last year's home opener vs Edm). Treated as one group of six. Opponents for the games: Mtl, Tor, Wpg, Edm once each; Ssk twice.

:football: Only two games, both against Mtl, had earlier KOs: a 1pm start in Sep 2012 and a 1:30pm start in Sep 2013 (this btw was the famed "cupid shuffle" game). Since these data only span the most limited set of opponents they might not offer much insight.

So here are the average attendances by KO time:

1/1:30pm.................2 gms.....28,475 (both since 2012)
4pm (incl 1@3pm).......6 gms.....28,751 (all since 2012)
.....early KOs.............8 gms.....28,682 (all since 2012)
7pm+ (incl 1@6pm)....94 gms.....28,689 (2002-2014)
7pm+ (incl 1@6pm)....19 gms.....28,981 (since 2012 only)
.....overall..............102 gms....28,689 (since 2002)

It's pretty uncanny how insensitive these averages are to kickoff time. The 4pm KO's have an ever-so-slight edge but quite honestly, based on the small sample size and the fact that they don't span as large a time frame or as full range of opponents as the evening data (they're all since 2012), I wouldn't read anything statistically significant into it. The differences are pretty much negligible. I've also given the average of 7pm KOs since 2012 only, to put everything in an equal time frame; the average increases by a few hundred to 28,981, which again I wouldn't read anything into as far as giving any clear indication of a preferred KO time. On the other hand these data will be confounded by no-show numbers. We don't really know how many STHs who would have been able to make 7pm no-showed the earlier KOs, but this is something that could be just as sensitive to day of week, so again it's not straightforward to factor this into the analysis.

Other numbers to which these avgs might be compared:

2014 overall reg season average.............28,011
all-time reg season average since 1954.....27,694