Head Coach - Lions announce Jeff Tedford as 2015 HC

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Cause you've got - (personality)

Walk - (personality) talk - (personality)

Smile - (personality) charm - (personality)

Love - (personality)

'Cause you got a great big heart

Well over -and over I'll be a fool for you

Well well well over and over

What more can I do

♪ ♪ ♪
Benny had the right personality. Great fit for Wally. We had that Head Coach with the right personality, Wally's protégé. Results? Not so much.

* Can we expect state of the art systems?

* State of the art Xs and Os?

* Attack philosophy? Or Wally's preference, conservative, play it safe philosophy?

* Independence from the GM?

* Assistant coaches chosen freely by the Head Coach?

* Game day personnel chosen by the HC?

Or can we expect more of the same?

It seems to me, with the few things Wally has said so far, that we can expect more of the same. If Wally can't find that guy, with just the right personality fit, he just might have to reinstate himself as Head Coach.

In one of the media sessions, Wally indicated he is not about to let go. And now we hear he is looking for the right personality.

We will see ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
ziggy
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:I am shocked that personality rank so high on Buono's hiring criteria. One would think it would be experience and ability to adjust on the go
Wasn't the belly bumping, cheer leading and emotion frowned on last year? Maybe a cooler, calmer presence is what he's looking for?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

PERSONALITY...LOL that's Wally's criteria for HC.

David Braley has no public personality to speak of and it sure didn't limit his ability to hire talent and run successful business in good, bad and boom and bust times.

Hiring on personality is what the weak and lousy selectors do and the results never get better.

We know Wally's stuck but in the 50s. His favourite song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvPU-cvaKCM

A better one from that era is what astute Lion fans will say when this done if he gets a personality like Benny whose best play is the belly bump:

Fans might be singing: Why do fools love in love?

[urlhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGb4Zl0jkP4&list=RDNGb4Zl0jkP4][/url]

The Lions need someone who is a HC with a plan and who can prove he can bring in top OC and DC and get this team going in the right direction.

Reinebold's comments are very, very spot on. Look at WPG this year even.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Rammer
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:PERSONALITY...LOL that's Wally's criteria for HC.

David Braley has no public personality to speak of and it sure didn't limit his ability to hire talent and run successful business in good, bad and boom and bust times.

Hiring on personality is what the weak and lousy selectors do and the results never get better.

We know Wally's stuck but in the 50s. His favourite song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvPU-cvaKCM

A better one from that era is what astute Lion fans will say when this done if he gets a personality like Benny whose best play is the belly bump:

Fans might be singing: Why do fools love in love?

[urlhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGb4Zl0jkP4&list=RDNGb4Zl0jkP4][/url]

The Lions need someone who is a HC with a plan and who can prove he can bring in top OC and DC and get this team going in the right direction.

Reinebold's comments are very, very spot on. Look at WPG this year even.
I am going to put it out there, Wally wants someone following his faith. Maybe Washington makes the nest step.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote: I am going to put it out there, Wally wants someone following his faith. Maybe Washington makes the nest step.
That is a tough one, Rammer.

Do people hire according to one's faith? We know it happens.

When I was young, applying for a job, I was told that to be of a certain faith, and practicing it, was essential. Although brought up in that religion, I did not practice it. I did not lie, and I did not get the job.

My understanding is that one cannot be discriimated against nowadays in such a manner. Does it still happen? Of course.

I recall hearing, back in the days of Tom Landry, that the Christian faith permeated the Cowboy franchise. And that the same faith permeates many football teams.

It is a sensitive issue. Would it be wrong for a number of coaches with a team to be of the same faith, attend the same church, and worship together?

Is it wrong for players to get into a prayer circle after games? What about players of different faith?

Should teams have a chaplain, as do the Lions?

I recall John F. Kennedy having to state publicly that, as President, he would not answer to the Pope. Separation of church and state.

Prayer in schools in the USA? But only in one faith?

This is a huge issue, with many sides to it ...

One more thing. Football is a violent game. Bodies, brains and health are put at risk every day. As they say about warfare: "There are no atheists in foxholes." I can relate to that.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Maybe the mess the Lions are in is part of "God's plan". You keep hearing athletes (and coaches) talk about God's plan. Maybe it's not about "x's and o's", schemes, execution etc. :wink:
cromartie
Hall of Famer

C'mon now, you guys are getting all slap happy with the Jesus stuff.
“Looking back on it now, and I’ve talked to Orlondo about this because I’m sure he’s going to get the opportunity very soon: No. 1, you better have a quarterback or access to one, because you can’t win in this league without one,” Reinebold said. “And two, go someplace where there’s a structure in place to get you players, where you can work hand-in-hand with the GM, or however they structure it.
This is actually terrific advice, and there's more of this in place here than some of you are giving Wally credit for.

He's capable of change. But, he'd better go out and get someone who will stand up to him a little more often, perhaps, than MB did.

Thought for the day, did players not know who ran the locker room because Wally was overly domineering? Or was Wally overly domineering because MB couldn't control the locker room?
Blitz
Team Captain

cromartie wrote: Thought for the day, did players not know who ran the locker room because Wally was overly domineering? Or was Wally overly domineering because MB couldn't control the locker room?
Both!!!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Blitz wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:Wally was on Team 1040 with Sekeres and Price at 11 a.m. Friday and said the biggest factor for him in searching for a head coach is personality. I forget the term he used but he suggested that they're worked hard as an organization to build team character, and they got away from that this year. I missed the end of the interview but it may be available as a podcast later.
Yes, Wally is looking at "personality". But what does 'personality' mean to Wally. Does that mean he wants a 'personality' that will defer to Wally in terms of personell decisions, look up to Wally as a 'living legend', and view Wally as the 'all knowing 'mentor'.

Wally stepped down as Head Coach, after a winning Grey Cup season. But it was not all roses between 2008 and the start of 2011 and there were many calling for Wally's head in 2010 and early 2011. Everything went right in those last 11 games of 2011 and the playoffs and Wally, no fool, walked away a winner, when that was not looking as the likley scenario.

Benevedes was always Wally's hand picked successor. Chapdelaine, who had been our offensive coordinator, when we won the Grey Cup in 2006, left at the end of that season because he knew that he would never get a chance to succeed Wally. Benevedes, our special teams coordinator was the chosen one. That was always the succession plan. The question is why?

What was so special about Mike Benevedes? I guess he had the right 'personality' for Wally. However, how about looking for a more important hiring attribute? It's called leadership. Something we didn't get from Benevedes. But why would Wally hire a leader? That's not what he is looking for. He is the 'leader' and the HC job is to be the 'follower'. That might work out great for Wally but it doesn't work out great for the players or the fans.

I find it interesting to see which ex-players get the chance to coach. It's never the Carl Kidd's or the Korey Banks - players who were viewed as leaders by the players when they played. The two players, who were viewed as leaders when they played for our Leos and became coaches - Barrin Miles and Jarious Jackson - have left.

One thing that has to change is how we treat our veteran players. Yes, sometimes its good to be one year ahead of the curve when it comes to releasing or trading a veteran. But too many star veterans leave our Leos bitter. Jason Clermont, Dave Dickenson, Geroy Simon, Korey Banks, and now Dante Marsh will leave our Leos organization with a very bitter pill in their mouth. No wonder we have trouble signing free agents. That's not the way we used to do it - we found places for our ex-stars like Jimmy Young, Lui Passaglia, and Jamie Taris.

I'm surprised that some thought Dickenson might want to come to B.C. as the HC. It's easy to forget that Wally was ready to dump Dickenson at the end of 2005 for Printers or that Dickenson left bitter at the end of 2007. Dickenson often chafed under Wally and at one time, while playing quarterback here, to the media that 'he played for his teammates and not Wally. Dickenson would not have come here to have Wally tell him which players to play. He was and is still too much of a leader for that.

I look at Calgary's coaching lineup this season - Hufnagel, Dickenson and Stubler. I compare that with Benevedes, Washington and Khari Jones. No wonder why Calgary is playing in the Grey Cup and we are not. We would have had a much better season if we had Stubler and Chap as assistants because at least they had expectations for players at practices and during games while Benevedes either ranted or belly bumped or looked for deals for ice cream treats.

I remember well the 'love in' way too many sports writers and media types had in 2012, as we got all kinds of corny feel good stories about the relationship between Benevedes and Buono. I was wondering if the Leos publicicy department was going to create a movie about Benevedes admiring Buono while Buono talked about his protege in glowing terms - I was waiting for them to announce that Carl Malden and Michael Douglas were going to be the actors chosen.

Buono gave Benevedes a two year extension. He had no intention of firing Benevedes if Benevedes would have just kept the Montreal game close, even if we lost, The injuries were going to be the excuse. But after getting destroyed in our last two regular season games and then blown out so badly by Montreal there was no way that Wally was going to be able to retain Benevedes. If he had chosen to do so, he was putting his own job in jeapordy and there was no way Wally was going to do that. So he had to say good bye to the guy who thought the sun shone on Wally, the guy that he had mentored, and the guy who he could tell which players to play and which players to discipline and how. Not easy to give up that kind of control.

But the fans deserved a true leader as a Head Coach. So do the players. The question is "Will we get a "true leader" or is "personality" a Wally code word for hiring a future Head Coach who will be easy for Wally to control?

Who we hire will be most interesting and whether that future Head Coach will be able to hire his own assistants.

Thanks Blitz...This post says it all...our future will come down to how Wally value's his next HC...the smartest, most capable coach with excellent systems and habits in place, or someone who will coach in "Wally's World". If Wally wants MB II, someone who knows they are #2 when it comes to the football team, then we are in a lot of trouble, because NO ONE OF CONSEQUENCE will come here under those conditions. The CFL has changed, either Wally gets that or he doesn't. In Hufnagel, Dickenson, Chris Jones, Chambliss, Ritchie Hall, Cortzez, O'Shea, Milanovich, Austin, Steinhauer, Condon, Mianovich, Rich Campbell, and all those smart Asst. Coaches in MTL, the league is now filled with SMART COACHES who watch film, use computers and develop game plans against each opponent...find their tendencies and shut the down...find their weakness and exploit them. WE DON'T DO THIS because WALLY has never coached like this.

Either it changes with this hire, NOW, or this thing gets even uglier, because without real change in Wally, our next HC and coordinators could look worse than MB, Jones and Washington (if that's possible!). No one can deny that Wally held on to his post as HC to go after the all time record, in doing so he passed over the best coaches in the CFL, we let go of DD without respect and he will become the best HC in the league one day! Barron Miles too...if a guy like Jeff Garcia wants to coach and he's willing to start in the CFL, Wally simply can't pass that up...and if Garcia isn't ready for day 1 next season, then let Wally come back and coach for another 1 to 2 years with Garcia at OC and Travis Lulay at QB Coach, so that when THEY are ready, he moves upstairs again and we have two of the smartest coaches in the league.

I am not sure if Paul LaPolice can coach against Jones, Hufnagel, DD, Chamblis, Austin and Milanovich...he might be able to, but I haven't seen enough...certainly one thing in Lapo's favour is that he coached under Joe Mack as GM...that would kill any coach...as Reinbold said, we do have an excellent system to go out and get top International players onto the roster...but no longer is talent just enough...in the new CFL you MUST COACH EACH GAME uniquely...something Wally never did, not even for the Grey Cups...this must change or the good ship Wally will sink, and soon!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
cromartie wrote: Thought for the day, did players not know who ran the locker room because Wally was overly domineering? Or was Wally overly domineering because MB couldn't control the locker room?
Both!!!!
Humor me. Pretend it's an either/or question for the sake of discussion and pick one or the other.

I know I look like someone who is bangining the drum for LaPo. And, truth be told, I don't know if he can coach against the best either. But what I do know is that he never lost his locker room. If you think back to the way the Bombers performed in the game against BC the week before he was fired, that was not a team that had quit on its coach. Factor in the front office, ownership and coaching staff issues being foisted upon him, and it seems like he's someone who could handle things. Provided he hires two coordinators and doesn't try and micromanage the offense himself.

But MLF mentions bringing Wally back down to mentor Garcia and Lulay, and I'm amenable to that as well. Or Steinhauer could be ready. All plausible options.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Criteria for a Head Coach:

Xs and Os mastery

Football skills expertise

Personality?

Leadership

And from the old management text book: Planning, Organizing, Staffing, Directing, and Controlling.

From Wally himself we have only heard of one essential quality so far, personality.

And I think we heard the word "globally" from Wally. Presumably expressions of interest in the Head Coaching job are coming in from all over. Yee Haw ...

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Globally as in Buono's inner circle ?
Blitz
Team Captain

cromartie wrote:
Blitz wrote:
Both!!!!
Humor me. Pretend it's an either/or question for the sake of discussion and pick one or the other.

I know I look like someone who is bangining the drum for LaPo. And, truth be told, I don't know if he can coach against the best either. But what I do know is that he never lost his locker room. If you think back to the way the Bombers performed in the game against BC the week before he was fired, that was not a team that had quit on its coach. Factor in the front office, ownership and coaching staff issues being foisted upon him, and it seems like he's someone who could handle things. Provided he hires two coordinators and doesn't try and micromanage the offense himself.

But MLF mentions bringing Wally back down to mentor Garcia and Lulay, and I'm amenable to that as well. Or Steinhauer could be ready. All plausible options.
Ok.....I`ll make a choice.

I believe that Wally would never have given up control to a Head Coach to make his own decisions. I believe one of the reasons that he hired Benevedes was so he would have a free reign in continuing to make those deciions.

However, from approximately the half way point of last season, the stronger factor was that Benevedes was losing the locker room and Wally felt the need to step in at a much stronger level than even he would have liked to. I think he did that for two reasons 1) to attempt to get the Leos moving in a more positive direction and playing better 2) to attempt to rescue Benevedes.

I don`t have anyone in mind for our new HC. I have some reservations about Paul LaPolice, who seems to be receiving a much higher status than his resume speaks. Yes, he`s a likeable guy from his TSN spots. Yes, he has never lost the locker room. The big question is whether he is the type of HC who can lead us to a Grey Cup or two.

In terms of Jeff Garcia, I would be more positive about him becoming our offensive coordinator than our future HC. While there have been exceptions of an ex-player with a thin coaching resume stepping into a HC position I think its way too chancy. Leadership and managment skills most often need to be developed with a background of experiences containing both success and adversity. Those lessons of experiences can pay huge dividends.

Orlando Stenhauer is an interesting potential candidate.

I don't completely agree that the CFL has been loaded with coaches who are so ahead of the curve than our B.C. Lions. No question that Hufnagel is a very smart football coach. Dickenson was developed slowly and wisely under Hufnagel. Chris Jones did a terrific job in Edmonton and has always been a coach who has impressed me. Kent Austin has his Grey Cup win in Saskatchewan, took Hamilton to the Grey Cup last year and overcame a 1-6 start to bring the Tabbies back again. But I don't see Richie Hall in that category at this point nor Chamblis and Milanovich missed the playoffs with Ricky Ray at quarterback. Rich Campbell has not proven himself to be in that category yet either, nor has Condon or O'Shea.

Our Lions were the best team in the CFL for a number of seasons for a number of reasons that included 1) the leadership of Bobby Ackles 2) the tight ship of Wally Buono as HC 3) developing and recruiting excellent talent 4) the development of quarterbacks including a system of lots of first team practice reps and 5) the high expectations Buono had of his assistant coaches while he was HC.

There was a time when Buno set the highest working standards for his assistant coaches. They usaully started at 4 a.m. but often they were in the office well before that start time. Other CFL coaching staffs were never forced to work as hard as Buonbo's assistants. Leadership,player recruitment and talent, combined with team discipline, high standards, and a dedicated coaching staff created success.

What happened? Ackles sadly passed away and he left a void that has not been filled. Wally stayed with strategies that had worked in the past but were not ahead of the curve anymore and some coaches who were not performing at an appropriate level eg: Dorazio and McMann. Ritchie and Stubler brought in new ideas as did Hufnagel as a consultant in 2007 but mostly we stayed with a lof of old stuff, strategy wise. The talent of other CFL teams improved. Wally's team practices from 2006-2011 were not the crisp, sharp variety that he had been well known for in the past...perhaps he was geting tired. And finally Wally did not have the advantage of having his assistants outworking other coaching staffs.

Now there were was an increase in coaches in the CFL who were smart but also watched as much video and used computer analysis or more than we did and we stayed with some old dog assistants as well. But don't discount some older Leo coaches as not being innovative. Ritchie was a tremendously innovatvie defensive coordinator and so was Stubler when he was allowed to. And when Chap was givin a more free reign to adapt the old Calgary offence in 2011, after our poor start, his offence was the most innovative in the CFL in 2011 and 2012.

At the start of this year, I read often on Lionbackers how we were going to be so far ahead this season with two new young Leo offensive coordinators in Washington and Khari Jones (who was an ex-quarterback who would be more innovative than Chap). They were considered smart and young and the better way to the future than Stubler and Chap. Didn't turn out that way and I didn't expect it to. They were also handicapped by a Head Coach who did not have the requisite leadership skills, Washington was handicapped by having to install conservative leadership strategies that Buono and Benevedes favored and Jones was handicapped by having to run the old Calgary offence with Dorazio as his line coach to boot. However, Jones stuggled due to his own limitations as well because he could have utilzied the old Calgary offence much better than he did.

We need to hire Leo coaches not based upon 'personality' but based upon leadership and management ability. Khari Jones and Mark Washington have positive personalities but that did not turn out to be enough at the end of the season for Washington or all season for Jones.

In terms of Wally returning as an interim Head Coach, he would significantly improve team discipline and expectation. But the problem is that we would still be stuck with old defensive and offensive systems and a couple of assistant coaches in Dorazio and McMann whose performances reflect that they should not be in their present roles.

I believe we really need a new Head Coach who has the necessary experience as well as leadership and managment skills as well as 'personality', who can bring in new systems and hire his own assistants. He is going to need the autonomy to implement the strategies that he wants to run and throw away the old Buono style passive zone defence (only Ritchie was able to not run it and he drove Buono crazy with his aggressive style) and also throw away the old spread offence from Buono's Calgary days as well. Chap had moved away from it as much as he could the last 3 seasons but Jones was back in the thick of the spread - even using the six receiver spread for the first half of the season before disbanding it.

Who that Head Coach will be is hard to know. Dickenson would have been a good choice but he won`t be coming. LaPolice is a solid choice but not an overly inspiring one. Garcia lacks the requisite background. Orlando is worth a look. But there is no candidate like a Chris Jones out there right now...a coach who has proved himself with more than one franchise and is innovative. LaPolice is not innovative. Buono coming back will not be innovative. We need an innovative coach who can change a tired scheme on both offence and defence.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote: Milanovich missed the playoffs with Ricky Ray at quarterback.
I'm with you on all of it but this. Toronto was absolutely brutalized by injuries at every single offensive skill position but QB, and even then were in it to the last game of the regular season, which they had to play without Ray. It was also obvious from the jump that they had no secondary to speak of which, in my mind, falls on Barker. Now, this may all be moot anyway, but count me as someone who is on board with Milanovich should a change be necessary.

So, if we need someone, and no one is out there, then who is there? If you want someone really, really, really innovative and really, really off the map, look up Bob Stitt at the Colorado School of Mines. There has to be someone out there with pro experience (which he does not have), no?
The_Pauser
Legend

Marc Trestman is still my "wish upon a star" hope for our next HC. I really don't know how he can return in Chicago after a meh season last year, and a subpar season this year. It's a difficult position since he is still employed, however, and even if he is fired there's no guarantees he would even come back to the CFL, but I think there's a better chance of us landing Trestman than Dave Dickenson who seems very content to stay in Calgary even in his current role.
Roar you Lions roar!