Lions @ Alouettes. Game Day Thread. Eastern Semi-Final

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I couldn't care less how many times Ryan Phillips apologizes. It doesn't undo what has been done.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Glenn is really rattled. He's panicking in the pocket for no reason and telegraphing his throws. He needs to be replaced but by whom?
tedbear
Starter

Undisciplined play has been allowed/accepted under Bennys tenure with no apparent repercussions so it is not surprising that it continues in the playoffs.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

All things that have plagued the Lions this season (undisciplined penalties, offensive woes, lack of adjustments, poor special team play, coaching) is once again on display for all to see. Despite all the talk by Benevides that they need to correct these things, the simply fact is haven't. They had 18 weeks to correct them. Time to clean house.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

First half impressions.

Glenn has done nothing. Overthrows augmented by drops and an incredibly bad pick. The only offense has come at the hands of the run game which Partridge could have done.

The only consolation is that this may be the beginning of the end for Benevides.
rb
Champion

Some terrible officiating, too. How was that not offensive PI by Carter? Just how obvious does it have to be?
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Putrid performance. Glenn's a joke. He is actually getting decent protection but terrible throws and reads. Dbs sitting on BC's predictable route running. Not challenging them vertically at all.

The decision to sit Schmidt looks like another dumb move by Benevides. Should have realized how many times this inept offence results in punting the ball.

Ryan Phillips with a ridiculous after the whistle penalty. Nice job vet and then get lit up for the TD two plays later.

Likely huge TV audience in BC and further damage being done to the fan base with this performance.
Rammer
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:So the big question, do we see Lulay in the 2nd half. Glenn has shown very little this game.
May be the only hope of a change to the Lions O for the second half.

Panel is suggesting that three calls went against the Lions, the Parks PI, the Phillips RP and the TD vs Phillips, as he was interfered by the receiver. Problem is that the Lions don't have anytime for those to 'even out'. The Lions have done this to themselves, they need to eliminate the 15 yard penalties, and force something to go their way. The easiest way is for the Lions to get some PI calls, and that can only happen if the Lions go downfield to their big play recievers. Happy feet Glenn isn't capable of throwing the ball that far today, so insert the next QB into try and get some momentum.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Instead of making adjustments at the half, the entire team including the coaches are being treated to ice cream by Benevides.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Instead of making adjustments at the half, the entire team including the coaches are being treated to ice cream by Benevides.
I thought poutine myself.
ziggy
Legend

Rammer wrote:Okay, Jones is gone, but why isn't Benevides shown the door as well. This is a crappy coached team, with too much talent to waste.

How can Glenn look like a starting rookie in his first game? No desire to watch this all over for 2015.
Where's the talent Rammer? Not on Offence! Open receivers are either overthrown or drop the ball. You can claim it's coaching but if the Receivers are open, I'd argue it's the players. There appears to be a fixation on blaming the coaching which admittedly is deserved, but to overlook the fact we have poor quarterbacking and inconsistent receiving, not to mention stupid selfish penalty taking, in my opinion gives an undeserved pass to our personnel.
Rammer
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:First half impressions.

Glenn has done nothing. Overthrows augmented by drops and an incredibly bad pick. The only offense has come at the hands of the run game which Partridge could have done.

The only consolation is that this may be the beginning of the end for Benevides.
Benevides has got to go! That is a sick team out on the field with zero confidence.
Entertainment value = an all time low
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote:First half impressions.

Benevides has got to go! That is a sick team out on the field with zero confidence.
God I sure hope so.
Fred.Fonce
Rookie

First timer here. I just couldn't lurk anymore!

Phillips shouldn't have done what he did but that penalty was a joke. No way that should have been called, particularly in a playoff game. But, a team is a reflection of its head coach. When the coach jumps up and down on the sidelines yelling at the refs, what can we expect?

A MB coached team is so frustrating to watch...undisciplined, poorly prepared, poor in-game adjustments. Glenn is a decent QB when protected and terrible when rattled. That's been the book on him his entire CFL career. Can't he throw on the run at all? They don't appear to work to his strengths and minimize his weaknesses.

i hope I am surprised, and they come out much better in the second half.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I would agree that it isn't all coaching but the stupid and selfish penalty taking goes right to coaching IMO. This has been an issue all year. Wally would either bench or cut guys who continually hurt their team that way but Benevides seems to have done absolutely nothing about it. He is more than evident when something good happens but when a player screws up, he generally just stands around.