Lions/Als East Semi

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Don't see the Lions winning. Lions' warts that have been evident this season will again surfaced. For those sleeping under a rock they are: lack of a running game, inability to neutralize the blitz, turnovers, stupid penalties, lack of a pass rush, poor kick coverage. Last but not least, outcoached, out schemed and inability to make meaningful adjustments.
AFAIC our only hope is that our coordinators have been playing possum all season and have waited until the playoffs to open up chapter 2 of their playbooks.
Yes that would be nice wouldn't it ?
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:The Als aren't in the same class as the Lions, especially on offence. We should win going away, with our defence eating up and spitting out Crompton. The only question is should the Lions stay out east next week for the eastern final...or make 3 trans-continental flights in a week to sleep in their own beds for a few nights? :cool:
That could be read differently than you intend. You mean the way we "ate up and spat out" QBs like Zach Collaros (last year in Tor and this year in Ham), Tanner Marsh and Troy Smith (last year and this in Mtl), Mike Reilly (week 1, fresh off a 4-14 season; I'll ignore the last game), Drew Willy (July) and Tino Sunseri (on GWN)? We've lost to some pretty green QBs the last couple years where the experience differential between opposing starters was like a 16 ton weight on a box of jelly doughnuts (reminds me of the Damon Allen era, come to think of it). One of these guys is now the *backup* to the guy we're facing Sunday, another isn't even in the league anymore, yet another is missing the playoffs and still another was so inspiring they brought a 41yo out of retirement to replace him.

Not sure where you get three flights, either. Wouldn't it be four, if you're adding up all the one-ways? I mean, assuming BC prevails in both the ESF & EF to reach the GC, there's still the trip back here to play in it, right? (Not that that wouldn't happen anyway, still having to clean out their lockers, get their rent deposits back and all)
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:
ballhawk wrote:Of course, we hope the Lions win the game against Montreal, don't we? We're cheering for them right. Are there Lionbackers here who don't want the LIons to win? Let it out!
Ad populum: This is an emotional appeal fallacy that speaks to positive (such as patriotism, religion, democracy) or negative (such as terrorism or fascism) concepts rather than the real issue at hand.

*Yawn*

Like? Sure.

Expect? Not really.

Glad to be wrong if they do win? Ok.
Yup.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I think this is going to be Montreal all the way.

Their O Line is good, gives Crompton all sorts of time. He is also mobile. He has good receivers, tall, rangy with good hands.
Their front 4 is also good. They will pressure Glenn all afternoon. I expect at least 4 or 5 sacks on the day.

By contrast what do we have? Our Oline is porous at times. Als will bring heat and it will get through. Bank on it.
Our Dline is ineffective. They seldom get pressure and often need extra heat from the secondary to really pressure the QB. That will allow Crompton to stay in the pocket and wait for one of London, Carter or Green to get wide open which they will given enough time or if not, he will just use his legs to buy himself real estate.

Special Teams. Might just as well throw the flag before the play starts with our squad. They are not disciplined and take way too many penalties. Our kicking game isn't stellar either so I don't see us as having an edge here.

The X factors. - undisciplined penalties of the major or after the play is over variety. It is about time, players realize that can't go around taking objectionable conduct calls (listening Rolly), facemasks and so on are just not going to mean anything but abject failure.

The one thing on our side. For whatever reason, over the years, the Als have had trouble with us. Even when they were dominating the rest of league, we did seem to play well against the Als. Maybe that will hold true on the weekend but I won't be holding my breath.

Als 35 - Lions 18 (if they are lucky)
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
sj-roc wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Don't see the Lions winning. Lions' warts that have been evident this season will again surfaced. For those sleeping under a rock they are: lack of a running game, inability to neutralize the blitz, turnovers, stupid penalties, lack of a pass rush, poor kick coverage. Last but not least, outcoached, out schemed and inability to make meaningful adjustments.
AFAIC our only hope is that our coordinators have been playing possum all season and have waited until the playoffs to open up chapter 2 of their playbooks.
The owner, team president and GM should all fire the coaching staff if they were purposefully creating this season long misery! Our Offence effectively handed out pamphlets at every home game (save vs MTL) that said, "we don't want you, stay away"...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
JohnHenry
Champion

sj-roc wrote:
JohnHenry wrote:The Als aren't in the same class as the Lions, especially on offence. We should win going away, with our defence eating up and spitting out Crompton. The only question is should the Lions stay out east next week for the eastern final...or make 3 trans-continental flights in a week to sleep in their own beds for a few nights? :cool:
That could be read differently than you intend. You mean the way we "ate up and spat out" QBs like Zach Collaros (last year in Tor and this year in Ham), Tanner Marsh and Troy Smith (last year and this in Mtl), Mike Reilly (week 1, fresh off a 4-14 season; I'll ignore the last game), Drew Willy (July) and Tino Sunseri (on GWN)? We've lost to some pretty green QBs the last couple years where the experience differential between opposing starters was like a 16 ton weight on a box of jelly doughnuts (reminds me of the Damon Allen era, come to think of it). One of these guys is now the *backup* to the guy we're facing Sunday, another isn't even in the league anymore, yet another is missing the playoffs and still another was so inspiring they brought a 41yo out of retirement to replace him.

Not sure where you get three flights, either. Wouldn't it be four, if you're adding up all the one-ways? I mean, assuming BC prevails in both the ESF & EF to reach the GC, there's still the trip back here to play in it, right? (Not that that wouldn't happen anyway, still having to clean out their lockers, get their rent deposits back and all)
I believe the Lions are a better team than their record indicates. The Als were a bit fluky winning 8 of 10 games to finish the season. When it comes to the playoffs, it's the player's desire to win which will triumph... and the Lions superiority in talent should rise to the occasion. Perhaps it will be the Lions who are the "16-ton box of jelly doughnuts" which will drop on Tim Hortons Field in the eastern final? :wink:

p.s. I did say 3 trans-continental trips in 1 week (i.e. Sunday leave Mtl for Van; Friday leave Van for Ham; Sunday leave Ham for Van.) If you want to add in the initial trip to Mtl this week, that would be 4 cross-continent flights in 10 days...versus only 2 flights if they stay the week out east.
ziggy
Legend

I like the Lions chances. I'll be cheering for them!
jwbavalon
Rookie

I'm drinking the Kool-Aid (orange colour) and the Lions will win and it will be a hard fought game with the fans on both sides entertained.

Go Lions Go.
ziggy
Legend

jwbavalon wrote:I'm drinking the Kool-Aid (orange colour) and the Lions will win and it will be a hard fought game with the fans on both sides entertained.

Go Lions Go.
I'm with you, better orange Kool-Aid than the Jonestown variety!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Depending on which Lion team is going to show up we may want the Jonestown cocktail by half time.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Via Vancouver Sun's Mike Beamish:
METRO VANCOUVER - It was a brilliantly clear and crisp autumn afternoon, but the rhythms of the B.C. Lions in their first practice session of the week Tuesday did not scream brisk or businesslike.

In truth, it was anything but crisp, a noticeable lack of intensity.

That will come later in the week, as the Lions begin to stoke their emotions for Sunday’s East Division semi-final playoff game in Montreal.

The possible gimmick plays the Lions intend to introduce in their offensive package will be worked on behind closed doors Thursday at BC Place Stadium, the only one of four practice sessions scheduled away from the prying eyes of media and spies lurking around the team’s Surrey training compound.
Lack of intensity and not looking crisp? They're excused. Not much on the line this week. :sigh: These guys should be fired up from day 1 of practice given the opportunity in front of them.

And I won't be holding my breath for any gimmick plays come Sunday.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
sj-roc wrote:
Khari Jones to no one in particular:

"Hey! There's a bunch of stuff printed on the other side of this sheet too!"
Big Time
Champion

I want to be optimistic. I want to believe. However all signs point to a Montreal blowout. I see the Lions losing 33 -7. The defense will hold for a while but the lack of offense will once again kill all chances.
ziggy
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:Depending on which Lion team is going to show up we may want the Jonestown cocktail by half time.
Or something that contains very large quantities of rum!
JohnHenry
Champion

I'll go out on a limb: Lions 41 - Als 17 :beer: