Stampeders 33 - Lions 16 Post Mortem

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

notahomer wrote:I disagree with labelling people here 'Lionhaters' too! Not that it matters but I was the FIRST person in this thread to talk about how many in the crowd seemed to be having a good time. Others have said similar things about how the crowd was too.

As David mentioned, the gameday stuff seemed a little sloppy in terms of balancing out what they normally do. IMO, perhaps that was in part due to the fact that quite a few (five at least, IIRC) lucky Lions fans won large 50inch plasma TV's. I've been going to the games not nearly as long as some but IMO, Lionbackers posters are usually more balanced/reasonable that many who get out to the games to watch. Again, just my :2cents: . For e.g. Pierce comes in for a few series and people are cheering for Jackson to take over. Jackson takes over and they're booing him.
Is it just me or does the idea of giving away TV's put irony into the Lions complaining about attendance next season? What a crazy giveaway for a team dependant upon gate admission.
Entertainment value = an all time low
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Rammer wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:
Rammer wrote:
"Lionhaters" is an over the top criticism in itself, making your point rather moot. What you fail to understand is that this board represents the passion of a varying range of Lion fans, perhaps you are at one end of that spectrum. The coaches don't get a free pass this year, it is year three with the main components still in place, while the team continues to head in the wrong direction. This board tells it like it is, from a fans perspective with a good grasp on all aspects of the team. Yes after losing games in the fashion the Lions have this season, you are going to see the coaches get called out on it. If they wren't, what kind of fans would we be? One only needs to look at the overall talent to see that this team is vastly underachieving. Once the Lions understand that fans are going to pull their investment, they seem to react. Too bad that it takes the Lions that long to make the moves that is turning the fans off from the team.
I don't necessarily disagree with calling out the coaching staff, and I do personally feel that a change is needed (especially at OC) but I have noticed over the years that anytime the team is losing people are eager to blame the coaching. It's almost as if the only problem this team has had for a decade is coaching, and it's seldom on the players.
There has been ridiculous talent on the Lions over the past decade, ridiculous in comparison to the rest of the league at more than half of the positions. What has lacked is the ability to change, our coaching staff believe and have for that period that it is the players execution (which it can be during the game), but the CFL game varies so much, you have to be able to adapt to what is going on. Lions simply don't have the ability to adjust, they have one program and if that isn't working, it is a long night. During this past season, having a young OC, just showed how static the Lions are. Combine that with way too many decisions by Beney in game time that were questionable if not pathetic, the Lions have an environment to fail vs succeed. Yeah it isn't all on the coaches, but that change is going to be the step in the right direction.
Rammer, which is why Wally's record in BIG GAMES at home is incredible. So often Wally's teams were uptight and PREDICTABLE at home with a huge talent advantages. In 2001 when Wally won with the 8-10 Marcus Crandell led team, they played loose and reckless, which was a huge reason they won. I have seen nothing different here...in 2006 vs. MTL we almost gave that game away. as our offence couldn't do a thing for the 2nd half of the game..in 2011, it was such a cinderella story that the players simply knew that they were going to win and pulled away!

Wally's teams have been easy marks for teams in a one game showdown...this is the direct result of not being an X's and O's coach!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
dupsdell1
Champion

Rammer wrote:
notahomer wrote:I disagree with labelling people here 'Lionhaters' too! Not that it matters but I was the FIRST person in this thread to talk about how many in the crowd seemed to be having a good time. Others have said similar things about how the crowd was too.

As David mentioned, the gameday stuff seemed a little sloppy in terms of balancing out what they normally do. IMO, perhaps that was in part due to the fact that quite a few (five at least, IIRC) lucky Lions fans won large 50inch plasma TV's. I've been going to the games not nearly as long as some but IMO, Lionbackers posters are usually more balanced/reasonable that many who get out to the games to watch. Again, just my :2cents: . For e.g. Pierce comes in for a few series and people are cheering for Jackson to take over. Jackson takes over and they're booing him.
Is it just me or does the idea of giving away TV's put irony into the Lions complaining about attendance next season? What a crazy giveaway for a team dependant upon gate admission.

I agree Pathetic marketing , this organization is going down hill fast, they need new ownership, new president , coaching staff etc.
ziggy
Legend

Speaking of regular season success and playoff success anyone look at Hufnagels record. Also not an x's and o's guy?
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

ziggy wrote:Speaking of regular season success and playoff success anyone look at Hufnagels record. Also not an x's and o's guy?
Hufnagel as former QB is an x and o guy.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

The injuries we've had this season are SIMILAR to ANY OTHER CFL TEAM...
The Toronto Argonauts are holding for you on Line 1. They had it worse, much worse, at every position except QB.
tedbear
Starter

I agree with the majority that we are being out coached. There are too many times this year where I have left after a game feeling frustrated and angry. I am a true fan and bleed black and orange but the same mistakes and getting out schemed continues to happen game after game. Correct me if I am wrong but I cant recall a single trick play on special teams all year long? Fake field goals, fake punt? reverse on the punt return? onside kick other than at the end of the game when everyone knows it is coming?

I can call many that were ran against us with positive results for the opposition.

3rd and one we punt most of the time and even when we go for it, we never mix it up and throw a pass? Yes I know these are low percentage plays but over an 18 game season you need to be aggressive sometimes.

My son continues to ask me why I spend my hard earned money to go to an event and leave most of the time angry? He asked me how many times I have spent money to go to a movie, a concert, or any other minor league sports game and have left angry? He is right I am crazy to continue to spend my entertainment money on this product, but I have had my tickets so long it is hard for me to walk away. I tell him that I am a lions fan and I am supporting the team. He thinks I am a fool as he says that I am not getting proper value or enjoyment for my money and should just support them by watching them on TV until I am satisfied with the product. Even though I have supported this product through good and bad throughout the years I have never felt disappointment and anger like this year.

It is a tough decision as the team had an average record but as most of us agree we are on a downhill slide and although I love the lions I Am totally against the direction we are headed under this coaching staff. I an now in a terrible position as I want the lions to win but as many have here have pointed out that could be detrimental for the long term of this team.

One question I have for all of those who think the coaching staff is not the problem: Do you think the Lions and Eskimos would be in the same positions right now If one could go back in history and restart the year With Benny and his coaching staff coaching Edmonton and Jones and his coaching staff coaching the Lions? We will never know but I know what my answer would be!

Lions win Benny Stays,

Lions lose maybe Benny goes?

Decisions Decisions Decsions.

Go Lions I think?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Great post from a long time Lions' fan, tedbear.

About our prospects with the status quo ...

What does one's brain say? Probably not good. Lots of evidence.

What does one's heart say? One has hopes, of course.

What does one's gut say? Hmmm ... Not good. Got that slip sliding feeling.

Just IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
ziggy
Legend

DanoT wrote:
ziggy wrote:Speaking of regular season success and playoff success anyone look at Hufnagels record. Also not an x's and o's guy?
Good point, so it can' t be that.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

ziggy wrote:
DanoT wrote:
Good point, so it can' t be that.
Seven seasons as WB's OC in Cgy with Doug Flutie for about half that time as well as Jeff Garcia after that, and eight seasons of NFL experience as QB coach or OC, years with both Mannings and Brady accounting for about half of it.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

tedbear wrote:
Lions win Benny Stays,

Go Lions I think?
Regardless whether the Lions win this Saturday, Benevides, McMann and Jones need to go. Lions under the leadership (?) of Benevides has regress every year.
ballhawk
Legend

In games which meant pretty much the same to both teams for playoff positions, interesting that the Lions attracted 34,000 to the game on Friday, while the Roughriders drew an attendance just over 20,000. A stark contrast to the semi-final game I attended last year in Regina against the Lions where it was a sell-out and absolutely freezing. So well done Lions and Lion's fans. There were the usual negative posts on this website forecasting how poorly Lions' attendance would be. It's always a great feeling when you see such negativity crushed. The negativity is such a drag.

On a further note, my trip to Vancouver and the Lower Mainland gave me an wonderful opportunity to attend the Canadian Bowl on Saturday. Good to see current Lions Paul McCallum, Jordan Matechuk and Whitman Tomusiak at the game. Also saw Daved Benefield in the sell-out crowd at McLeod Stadium. Needless to say, the Saskatoon Hilltops defeated the Langley Rams for the championship.
"the 1996 season was a very difficult period... I couldn't imagine telling people that I was part of the last days of the CFL... it seemed that there would be no end to the continuous stream of catastrophic problems... it was like living in a toxic fishbowl... if they had known how serious the situation was, but we couldn't make it public, for fear of a total meltdown". (from Bigger Balls, The CFL and Overcoming the Canadian Inferiority Complex, by Jeff Giles)
DanoT
Hall of Famer

ballhawk wrote:In games which meant pretty much the same to both teams for playoff positions, interesting that the Lions attracted 34,000 to the game on Friday, while the Roughriders drew an attendance just over 20,000. A stark contrast to the semi-final game I attended last year in Regina against the Lions where it was a sell-out and absolutely freezing. So well done Lions and Lion's fans. There were the usual negative posts on this website forecasting how poorly Lions' attendance would be. It's always a great feeling when you see such negativity crushed. The negativity is such a drag.

On a further note, my trip to Vancouver and the Lower Mainland gave me an wonderful opportunity to attend the Canadian Bowl on Saturday. Good to see current Lions Paul McCallum, Jordan Matechuk and Whitman Tomusiak at the game. Also saw Daved Benefield in the sell-out crowd at McLeod Stadium. Needless to say, the Saskatoon Hilltops defeated the Langley Rams for the championship.
While it is a shock to me that Rider Nation had roughly 10k no shows, the 34k at the Lions game needs to be viewed with the knowledge that many of those is attendance did so with a free ticket from the Guarantee Win Game which was another Lions loss. Still it was a great way to paper the place and get extra fans out to a game. Just too bad that the Lions couldn't be more entertaining.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

tedbear wrote:I agree with the majority that we are being out coached. There are too many times this year where I have left after a game feeling frustrated and angry. I am a true fan and bleed black and orange but the same mistakes and getting out schemed continues to happen game after game. Correct me if I am wrong but I cant recall a single trick play on special teams all year long? Fake field goals, fake punt? reverse on the punt return? onside kick other than at the end of the game when everyone knows it is coming?

I can call many that were ran against us with positive results for the opposition.

3rd and one we punt most of the time and even when we go for it, we never mix it up and throw a pass? Yes I know these are low percentage plays but over an 18 game season you need to be aggressive sometimes.

My son continues to ask me why I spend my hard earned money to go to an event and leave most of the time angry? He asked me how many times I have spent money to go to a movie, a concert, or any other minor league sports game and have left angry? He is right I am crazy to continue to spend my entertainment money on this product, but I have had my tickets so long it is hard for me to walk away. I tell him that I am a lions fan and I am supporting the team. He thinks I am a fool as he says that I am not getting proper value or enjoyment for my money and should just support them by watching them on TV until I am satisfied with the product. Even though I have supported this product through good and bad throughout the years I have never felt disappointment and anger like this year.

It is a tough decision as the team had an average record but as most of us agree we are on a downhill slide and although I love the lions I Am totally against the direction we are headed under this coaching staff. I an now in a terrible position as I want the lions to win but as many have here have pointed out that could be detrimental for the long term of this team.

One question I have for all of those who think the coaching staff is not the problem: Do you think the Lions and Eskimos would be in the same positions right now If one could go back in history and restart the year With Benny and his coaching staff coaching Edmonton and Jones and his coaching staff coaching the Lions? We will never know but I know what my answer would be!

Lions win Benny Stays,

Go Lions I think?
Great post TedBear...thanks for taking the time...If Mike Benevdies and staff were coaching the EXACT SAME EDM team that Chris Jones inherited, with a recent history of losing, the Esks would be searching for wins well below .500!

I confidently say that with a new coach and assistants next year our OLINE will show itself amongst the best in the league...the youth and talent on our line is such that it allows us to play 4 CDNs with Olafoye and with Andrew Harris in the backfield and at least 2 CDN WRs, that gives the new staff TONS of options as to how to attack the opposition.

So my message to you and to everyone here is that the turnaround in BC will be swift and demonstrative with a new, effective staff...they are obviously available because pretty much EVERY OTHER team in the league has now put together strong coaching staffs. This team can certainly get younger in certain areas, but with our LB Corp and a secondary of talent and a NEW SAFETY the defence will stand up well to some key changes on the DLine...keep the faith in our talent, its there...guys like Hunter Steward and Kirby Fabien are going to be stars in this league with decent coaching!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
DanoT
Hall of Famer

The solid aggressive play of Hardrick at LG along with Olafoye means 2 INTs on the O line next year and if Fabien's knee continues to improve, then I'm guessing he replaces Valli at starting RG.

The Lions need to draft a NAT runningback to back up Harris and a Free Safety to challenge LaRose or Matt McGarva needs to stay healthy ( I don't know what his injuries are other than missing most of the season for the past 2 seasons).

I don't think the Lions will be firing Benevides (are there any decent HC candidates out there?) but they really need to move on from Dorazio and his over complicated blocking theories and promote Kelly Bates to O line coach.