Stamps/Lions from 1990 on ESPN Classics tonight

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Ravi
Legend

One game that I have been waiting to see for a long time on ESPN Classics is the season opener from 1990 at old B.C. Place between the Stamps and Lions. It was a thriller which served as Wally Buono's first game as a head coach and Doug Flutie's first game in the CFL. I have seen this game listed numerous times in the past but when I have tuned into it, it is the somewhat less interesting B.C. at Calgary Thanksgiving weekend game from that same year. Anyway, tonight they are actually showing the season opening game but the editing of it has been messed up. Back in those days, overtime consisted of two five minute halves. Well, they have reversed those halves in this broadcast. Also, I turned the game on at around 8:15 pm EDT for a broadcast that was supposed to run from 7 pm to 9 pm. They were already showing the second OT by that point and are now showing the first. If you are going to put a classic game like this on, ensure that it is edited properly! BTW, it is great to see the bombastic Lary Kuharich on the B.C. sidelines for this game as this was his first game as Lions head coach and he was facing the team that he had abandoned following the '89 season.

EDIT: To wrap up the broadcast, they are showing the second OT half again.
dupsdell1
Champion

I was there I remember there was a lot of hype Doug Flutie coming to the lions the same with Mark Gastineau ( who got cut after half way through the season) there was 35,000 there and when Doug Flutie threw the hail Mary touchdown to tie the game the place went nuts, also that was when Joe Kapp was the GM he only lasted one season he also unretired hi Jersey # 22 for Flutie to have, So if it was not for Kapp Flutie might have never come to the CFL. and then of course Pezim would not pay him his 1 million dollar contract to keep him in bc after the 91 season. Somebody had told him he was not worth it.
JohnHenry
Champion

dupsdell1 wrote:I was there I remember there was a lot of hype Doug Flutie coming to the lions the same with Mark Gastineau ( who got cut after half way through the season) there was 35,000 there and when Doug Flutie threw the hail Mary touchdown to tie the game the place went nuts, also that was when Joe Kapp was the GM he only lasted one season he also unretired hi Jersey # 22 for Flutie to have, So if it was not for Kapp Flutie might have never come to the CFL. and then of course Pezim would not pay him his 1 million dollar contract to keep him in bc after the 91 season. Somebody had told him he was not worth it.
That was Obie who flew to Boston to personally deliver a "drop-dead" final offer of $350,000 per season to Flutie. Obie didn't believe Flutie's claim that he had "interest from the NFL"...saying there was no interest and that it was just a negotiating ploy. Then Flutie surprised everyone and signed a personal services contract with Larry Rykman and the Stamps for $1 million per season. I believe Flutie was the first CFL free agent who was ever signed by another team (the CFL GM's had a gentleman's agreement at the time, not to sign free agents to keep player costs down). The Lions had assumed Flutie would re-sign in B.C. but freaked when the Stamps stole him away. The Lions demanded a QB in compensation. I believe the league intervened and arranged a trade, which sent Danny Barrett to B.C. for the Lions outstanding lineman Rocco Romano. I think the Lions lost doubly on that deal! Flutie won 3 MOP awards in his 4 years in Calgary with 2 trips to the Grey Cup...but he's still waiting to get paid from Rykman. :cool:
dupsdell1
Champion

JohnHenry wrote:
dupsdell1 wrote:I was there I remember there was a lot of hype Doug Flutie coming to the lions the same with Mark Gastineau ( who got cut after half way through the season) there was 35,000 there and when Doug Flutie threw the hail Mary touchdown to tie the game the place went nuts, also that was when Joe Kapp was the GM he only lasted one season he also unretired hi Jersey # 22 for Flutie to have, So if it was not for Kapp Flutie might have never come to the CFL. and then of course Pezim would not pay him his 1 million dollar contract to keep him in bc after the 91 season. Somebody had told him he was not worth it.
That was Obie who flew to Boston to personally deliver a "drop-dead" final offer of $350,000 per season to Flutie. Obie didn't believe Flutie's claim that he had "interest from the NFL"...saying there was no interest and that it was just a negotiating ploy. Then Flutie surprised everyone and signed a personal services contract with Larry Rykman and the Stamps for $1 million per season. I believe Flutie was the first CFL free agent who was ever signed by another team (the CFL GM's had a gentleman's agreement at the time, not to sign free agents to keep player costs down). The Lions had assumed Flutie would re-sign in B.C. but freaked when the Stamps stole him away. The Lions demanded a QB in compensation. I believe the league intervened and arranged a trade, which sent Danny Barrett to B.C. for the Lions outstanding lineman Rocco Romano. I think the Lions lost doubly on that deal! Flutie won 3 MOP awards in his 4 years in Calgary with 2 trips to the Grey Cup...but he's still waiting to get paid from Rykman. :cool:

And then in 1992 BC went from 11-7 1991 to 3-15 1992 averaging 40,000 a game in 1991 to 27,000 a game in 1992 I say the lions losing Doug Flutie was the start of the end for the lions until Bob Ackles came back.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:the CFL GM's had a gentleman's agreement at the time, not to sign free agents to keep player costs down
The "gentleman's agreement" to not sign other team's FA's was blown up by Jo-Anne Polak, Ottawa's GM in the late 80's.....signing a BC olineman (Roper?) for an unheard of $100K and others.
Lloyd
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Ravi wrote:One game that I have been waiting to see for a long time on ESPN Classics is the season opener from 1990 at old B.C. Place between the Stamps and Lions. It was a thriller which served as Wally Buono's first game as a head coach and Doug Flutie's first game in the CFL. I have seen this game listed numerous times in the past but when I have tuned into it, it is the somewhat less interesting B.C. at Calgary Thanksgiving weekend game from that same year. Anyway, tonight they are actually showing the season opening game but the editing of it has been messed up. Back in those days, overtime consisted of two five minute halves. Well, they have reversed those halves in this broadcast. Also, I turned the game on at around 8:15 pm EDT for a broadcast that was supposed to run from 7 pm to 9 pm. They were already showing the second OT by that point and are now showing the first. If you are going to put a classic game like this on, ensure that it is edited properly! BTW, it is great to see the bombastic Lary Kuharich on the B.C. sidelines for this game as this was his first game as Lions head coach and he was facing the team that he had abandoned following the '89 season.
Here's a clip of that game again.
The actual attendance was 34,233 and all-in-all it was a terrible season for the Lions with so much chaos and the new uniforms didn't help at all. Mark Gastineau only played four games before he got injured and was released, and being ejected at halftime for his part in a brawl didn't help things out at all. Joe Kapp didn't survive the season as general manager as he was fired after 11 games. Even though it was Doug Flutie who threw a tying TD pass to Ray Alexander, Flutie was only average for that season as he was still trying to assimilate into the CFL season and as a result, coming out of retirement veteran Joe Paopao started several games and incumbent Rickey Foggie played a handful of games as well including the clip to see if he could finally be a starter. Foggie was released and was signed by Toronto where he has a much better impact with explosive offence.
JohnHenry wrote:That was Obie who flew to Boston to personally deliver a "drop-dead" final offer of $350,000 per season to Flutie. Obie didn't believe Flutie's claim that he had "interest from the NFL"...saying there was no interest and that it was just a negotiating ploy. Then Flutie surprised everyone and signed a personal services contract with Larry Rykman and the Stamps for $1 million per season. I believe Flutie was the first CFL free agent who was ever signed by another team (the CFL GM's had a gentleman's agreement at the time, not to sign free agents to keep player costs down). The Lions had assumed Flutie would re-sign in B.C. but freaked when the Stamps stole him away.
With so much money involved, I'd say only the team's owner and in this case Murray Pezim and not GM Bob O'Billovich who had the final say on how much money to offer Flutie. Just like how when Flutie was signed by Calgary in 1992, it was entirely Stampeders owner Larry Ryckman who dealt with the finances and not then GM Wally Buono replace outgoing Norm Kwong in the transaction.
JohnHenry wrote:The Lions demanded a QB in compensation. I believe the league intervened and arranged a trade, which sent Danny Barrett to B.C. for the Lions outstanding lineman Rocco Romano. I think the Lions lost doubly on that deal! Flutie won 3 MOP awards in his 4 years in Calgary with 2 trips to the Grey Cup...but he's still waiting to get paid from Rykman. :cool:
Not just that, the Lions also gave away Centre Jamie Crysdale as well who served the Stampeders for 13 seasons. Romano and Crysdale served as long-term Stampeders while Doug Flutie had four great seasons as a Stampeder. On the other hand Danny Barrett was completely ineffective in two abysmal seasons as a Lion. As I stated in other threads, this was one of the worst trades the Lions made in franchise history. The same thing with Matt Dunigan and the two transactions with brought him to the team and his departure - in both cases Edmonton/Toronto clearly won the trade.

I remember that in March 1992 after Doug Flutie left for Calgary and the Lions were looking for a new starting QB, the Lions could have made a much better effort to sign Matt Dunigan again who became a free agent again after quarterback the Argonauts to the 1991 season. Perhaps the Lions management felt that Dunigan was too injury prone after playing only 8 games for both 1990 and 1991 in Toronto so they felt that trading for Barrett was the better choice. Of course, it turned out to be the wrong choice as Dunigan was later signed by Winnipeg who led the Blue Bombers to two consecutive Grey Cup appearances.
dupsdell1 wrote:And then in 1992 BC went from 11-7 1991 to 3-15 1992 averaging 40,000 a game in 1991 to 27,000 a game in 1992 I say the lions losing Doug Flutie was the start of the end for the lions until Bob Ackles came back.
I suppose winning the 1994 and 2000 Grey Cups didn't really help things with regards to attendance. It looks like 1991 remains to be one of the most, if not the most exciting season ever even if it wasn't a championship season. That goes to show that it is a good offence that buys tickets, even though it doesn't necessarily win games and an excellent defence is what wins games and championships. The Lions finally improved their defence in 1994 to capture the Grey Cup, but that didn't improve attendance in 1995.

IMHO, the 1991 was simply too frustrating and disappointing for me to see the Flutie and the offence work so hard to get the hard-earned points on the board only to see the terrible defence allow the opponent to score even more points and totally ruin the strong efforts by Flutie and his offence. :puke: I could easily understand the outrage Flutie felt on the sidelines watching his defence ruin his hard earned points with his offence and it may have had a secondary reason why he left. This trend was perhaps best experienced on Flutie's last game as a Lion in the 1991 WDSF when Flutie and his offence worked very hard to gain a comfortable 31-15 lead at halftime only to have his defence allow four touchdowns in the 3rd quarter in the eventual 43-41 loss. :bang: :tp: :dizzy:
Last edited by Robbie on Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Ravi
Legend

The Lions never should have been playing in that West Division semi-final. They had a chance to clinch first place the week before in front of 47,823 fans at B.C. Place on the final Saturday night of the season. The 11-6 Lions were playing the woeful 2-15 Hamilton Tiger-Cats - coached by David Beckman - and somehow the Lions managed to lose 26-17. If they had won that game, I strongly suspect that they would have made it to the Grey Cup. Instead, they dropped down to third place and had to visit Calgary for that semi-final game.

Nevertheless, I doubt that another pro football team will ever have a season again like the '91 Lions who played in six OT games which meant that B.C. played the equivalent of an extra game of football that season. They also drew over 53k twice that year and only fewer than 30k twice during the regular season.

http://www.profootballarchives.com/1991cflbc.html
Rammer
Team Captain

Ravi wrote:The Lions never should have been playing in that West Division semi-final. They had a chance to clinch first place the week before in front of 47,823 fans at B.C. Place on the final Saturday night of the season. The 11-6 Lions were playing the woeful 2-15 Hamilton Tiger-Cats - coached by David Beckman - and somehow the Lions managed to lose 26-17. If they had won that game, I strongly suspect that they would have made it to the Grey Cup. Instead, they dropped down to third place and had to visit Calgary for that semi-final game.

Nevertheless, I doubt that another pro football team will ever have a season again like the '91 Lions who played in six OT games which meant that B.C. played the equivalent of an extra game of football that season. They also drew over 53k twice that year and only fewer than 30k twice during the regular season.

The making of Flutie came about in that season, he was made for the CFL.
Entertainment value = an all time low
dupsdell1
Champion

Ravi wrote:The Lions never should have been playing in that West Division semi-final. They had a chance to clinch first place the week before in front of 47,823 fans at B.C. Place on the final Saturday night of the season. The 11-6 Lions were playing the woeful 2-15 Hamilton Tiger-Cats - coached by David Beckman - and somehow the Lions managed to lose 26-17. If they had won that game, I strongly suspect that they would have made it to the Grey Cup. Instead, they dropped down to third place and had to visit Calgary for that semi-final game.

I remember that I was there they had to play there worst game of the year , close to 50,000 I remember walking to the sky train at the end of the game and all I heard were fans so angry that the lions were not hosting a playoff game , there was so much passion for that team in 91, if the lions did host the WF that year I can almost guarantee it would have sold out in about 4-5 days.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

dupsdell1 wrote:

I remember that I was there they had to play there worst game of the year , close to 50,000 I remember walking to the sky train at the end of the game and all I heard were fans so angry that the lions were not hosting a playoff game , there was so much passion for that team in 91, if the lions did host the WF that year I can almost guarantee it would have sold out in about 4-5 days.
With good attendance, Pezim lifted the local blackout on TV. The 2-15 Tiger-Cats had a rookie QB Don McPherson who put on 26 points and just when the Lions needed a good offensive performance they could only put on 17 points with three interceptions in the loss when in many other games they easily put on 30+. To add insult to injury, the game resulted in two key receivers Jay Christenson and Matt Clark getting injured and couldn't play in the important WDSF playoff game.

The Lions had good 7-2 record on the road, but disappointed the Lions home crowd with a losing record of 4-5. Of the 6 OT games, three on the road and three at home, the Lions had a 3-3 record but disappointed the home crowd by with a 1-2 OT record. While everyone remembers the OT home win over Toronto, the two home OT losses were very disappointing. One was against Calgary in which the Lions had a huge lead but the terrible defence allowed Calgary to tie the game and in OT, a crucial fumble after a Lions completion allowed Junior Thurman make a turnover for a TD to kill the Lions. And late in the season at home against Edmonton, the Flutie threw for 582 yards which was only 4 yards from the then-record of 586 yards in a game but it was in a losing cause and disappointing the huge 54,108 crowd in a 45-38 OT loss.

Historically the Lions haven't done all that well when it came to very important regular season finales with losses in the 1977, 1991, 2003, and 2008 when a win would have given the Lions a home playoff game. But a huge exception for redemption finally came in the 2011 regular season finale with a demolition home win over Montreal to secure the Lions a home WDF game in which they got a blowout win on the way to the Grey Cup win.
Rammer wrote:The making of Flutie came about in that season, he was made for the CFL.
It was nice and smart of Bob O'Billovich to keep Doug Flutie on the team and make him the starting QB despite only an average 1990 season instead of taking his chances on the younger Major Harris who quarterbacked the Lions to a win in the 1990 season finale.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

I was there that night and it still stings to think about it.