ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

This gimmick has run its course. I hope I never see another version.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:This gimmick has run its course. I hope I never see another version.
X2

Roger Goodell and Gary B. both have done it already. I had never heard of it before Tuesday! Best version for me was a trio of hockey players getting dumped on by a Zamboni.....

Like I said, hadn't heard of it Monday and seen 20odd versions of it since then on EVERY sports show I've tuned into and a lot of the newscasts too....
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:This gimmick has run its course. I hope I never see another version.
I'm with you. What I don't like in these challenges that spill over to the non-fit general population is the message that it sends that somehow to be somebody you need to be tough - BUT even this activity comes with risk.

IIRC there was the new deceased former Lion and Bomber coach who stopped the team from dumping ice cold Gaterade on Wally after the GC win as he suspected Wally had a problem - he had a heart problem.

"
My initial thoughts on the ice challenge is that it is for a very good charitable cause, however there are some significant cardiovascular risk that people are taking on when they do this," said Dr. Daniel Jurewitz, Santa Barbara cardiologist.

"There are medical studies that have looked at this that had peoples head emerged in cold water and there does seem to be a very significant reaction when the head is submerged. It causes the heart rate to suddenly decrease. It can throw the heart out of rhythm and in some very drastic cases can cause cardiac arrest," said Jurewitz.

http://www.keyt.com/news/what-you-need- ... e/27034746
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/1025746 ... er-charity
Don't mix drink and ice water: charity

Last updated 18:10 11/07/2014

"The death of a Kaitaia man has prompted the Cancer Society to warn anyone taking part in the ice-water challenge to steer clear of alcohol.

"STEER CLEAR OF ALCOHOL"

A report of the death of the 40-year-old father was reposted on the Cancer Society Auckland's Facebook page this week.

"People actually don't know the consequences of this ice challenge," the posting said.

The society later warned anyone taking on the challenge, which involved being doused in freezing water as a dare and then making a donation to charity, to be safe and responsible.

"We would say that if you are thinking about doing this, steer clear of alcohol and don't take any crazy risks."

In a media release the society said: "Cancer Society cares about your health and wellbeing and so does not support the consumption of alcohol as part of this challenge."

Willis Tepania reportedly died some hours after having a bucket of ice poured over his head last weekend in the fundraising challenge, which has become a social media craze. "
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

After writing this afternoon that I hope to never see another version, I saw another eight versions in eight hours, two of them on TSN. Overkill.
The_Pauser
Legend

You can be sick of it all you want, but the bottom line is it's for the greater good. The ALS foundation has raised $7.6M over the past 2 weeks as opposed to $1.4M over the same time period last year. The Ice Bucket Challenge is doing its job to raise awareness for ALS. Like any fad, the dumping ice on ones head will die out, but hopefully through this we have raised awareness for this debilitating disease, and hopefully the funds raised will help the fight for a cure.
Roar you Lions roar!
notahomer
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:You can be sick of it all you want, but the bottom line is it's for the greater good. The ALS foundation has raised $7.6M over the past 2 weeks as opposed to $1.4M over the same time period last year. The Ice Bucket Challenge is doing its job to raise awareness for ALS. Like any fad, the dumping ice on ones head will die out, but hopefully through this we have raised awareness for this debilitating disease, and hopefully the funds raised will help the fight for a cure.
Amazing numbers, do hope that a cure is found. Really though all charities are fighting harder and therefore copying each other, IMO, to get attention/support/donations. This particular one is burning bright right now, hope they get support this time next year too......
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:You can be sick of it all you want, but the bottom line is it's for the greater good. The ALS foundation has raised $7.6M over the past 2 weeks as opposed to $1.4M over the same time period last year. The Ice Bucket Challenge is doing its job to raise awareness for ALS. Like any fad, the dumping ice on ones head will die out, but hopefully through this we have raised awareness for this debilitating disease, and hopefully the funds raised will help the fight for a cure.
Amazing numbers, do hope that a cure is found. Really though all charities are fighting harder and therefore copying each other, IMO, to get attention/support/donations. This particular one is burning bright right now, hope they get support this time next year too......
This from Peter King's MMQB:

f. Estimated three-week money haul for ALS and related ALS charities, thanks to the #IceBucketChallenge: $13.3 million, which ALS authorities say is about eight times what the normal giving was in a similar summer period last year.

g. Russell Wilson certainly got the job done, atop the Space Needle.

h. Thus, you’re wrong if you think the Ice Bucket Challenge is a bunch of mularkey. It’s working, to raise awareness and research money.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Rejected Onion headline: ALS researchers identify greatest risk factor: acute cranial thermal trauma
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
David
Team Captain

Lions4ever wrote:h. Thus, you’re wrong if you think the Ice Bucket Challenge is a bunch of mularkey. It’s working, to raise awareness and research money.
I agree that if it's raising money, it's a good thing. But let's not ignore the dangers. Was a little surprised to see Christie Buono ask 2x on Twitter for someone to challenge her Dad when he's had triple-bypass heart surgery and Richard Harris once had to shield him from having his players dunk him in a Gatorade shower! Maybe she was a little too young to remember.

Then there's this poor little sweetheart here:

[video][/video]

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Ouch !! Here's another fail

The_Pauser
Legend

Stay tuned, Wally and Christie Buono will both be doing the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge ;)
Roar you Lions roar!
274always
All Star

Considering this was not even the ALS association's idea makes it even more incredible. I guess the really stupid part is that's what it took to raise so much money. Better take advantadge because they'll be running out of people to challenge pretty soon.

I just got a Proudfoot 27 BC Lions signature jersey instead. Wearing it at grey cup. Keeps me nice and dry. :wink:
Grey Cup 103. Graduation day.