All things Lions Marketing/Promotions 2014

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

notahomer wrote: I chatted with Skulsky later and for all those fans who can't get out to the games (due to price and/or other reasons) apparently the new TV deal is making it even harder to do blackouts and they wonder if they really help anyways. I hear what they are saying. The BC Lions say its a special experience being at the stadium. I'd agree but at the same time, had I not HAD to buy tickets at one time a decade ago or miss the game, I'm not so sure I ever would have started being a ST holder. In a way I'm glad HDTV was not available because I doubt I would have bothered because I could watch at home but I'm glad I did.....
Interesting notahomer. They may now have no choice on their control of blackouts.

The Lions first two regular season home games start at 3 p.m. and 4 p.m. on Saturdays. At least it's better than a Thursday night like last year but Friday nights used be a fixture for summer games. Now just 2 of the 4 July/August games are.
Those early start times must be influenced by a TSN national audience as there is no way the Lions were asking for it. I guess when the dollar value triples for the new TV contract — to the point where it's almost bigger than ticket revenue — it gives TSN major leverage on start times.

Would love to know what the Lions "break even" attendance number is for home games with the new TV contract factored in.
David wrote: Check out these branded team tarps that have been used by: the Oakland A's, Oakland Raiders, Baylor football, and the Jacksonville Jaguars. If I owned the team this would be a no-brainer. Tarp the upper bowl endzones to about the 30 yard line on each side OR the end zones and the entire north side and leave the south side upper deck open (the TV side). Logo'd tarps would help "sell" a BC Lions experience as opposed to sitting in a generic, multi-purpose stadium, and more importantly, it would create a more intimate and dynamic atmosphere as fans would be packed in tight.
Agreed David, that type of tarping is much better option than what the stadium provides. And yes there was definitely more than 3,000 on Sunday. I was watching Lions staff open up additional seats to accommodate everyone.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

This might explain why the Lions are looking to curtain off most of the upper deck.

Skulsky was on the TEAM 1040 this morning saying season tickets are sitting at 15,000 right now which is actually 10 percent ahead of last year's pace.

This is from an LU story in June 2008:
Since returning to revive the Lions six years ago, Bob Ackles has helped the franchise -- which is inescapably linked to him for over five decades -- sell in excess of 24,000 season tickets for the year ahead, with a reported $2 million in corporate revenues.
almo89
Legend

I remember when Ackles first got here, his goal was to get to 30,000 season ticket holder base. Within a few years it was climbing up there. Since his death, season tickets have slowly declined.
David
Team Captain

In fairness to the current regime, there was no Whitecaps to compete with back then (at least, not the MLS version), HD-TV was in its infancy, and the 2 year hiatus at Tempire set the organization back as it gave the less committed STH a reason not to renew, from which they've never fully recovered.

Still, one wonders where this "over 15,000 STH" number (per Dennis Skulsky on TEAM radio this morning) might actually be if their entry level price points were more reasonable, and STH hadn't experienced YOY price increases for the past number of years.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

almo89 wrote:I remember when Ackles first got here, his goal was to get to 30,000 season ticket holder base. Within a few years it was climbing up there. Since his death, season tickets have slowly declined.
Prices have steadily increased as well. There may be a correlation in there somewhere and perhaps even more if you can find any disconnect between Skulsky and the ST who have dropped out.
Entertainment value = an all time low
woody
Champion

Video of the Lions fashion show at the open house.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Honour Dewalt
Champion

While it may not be fair to compare Skulsky to Ackles, I feel like he is too complacent sometimes. There is no way Ackles would say he's fine with 15,000 season tickets, yet Skulsky seems so casual about it, like that's all they think they can get. If this team didn't have Buono and good on field management, I'd really be nervous about their fan base. There is no reason why they would need to go down in capacity after all these years. I don't really think the Whitecaps effect their ticket sales. The fact they need to consider that is their own fault.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Keep in mind that during Axkles time with the Lions there was no HD TV and thus they had effective TV blackouts.
David
Team Captain

NEW for 2014 - Global BC Family Zone tickets for $30 (all-in) will INCLUDE a hot dog and soft drink with each ticket purchase! #BCLions #CFL

Yesssssssss!!!!

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:NEW for 2014 - Global BC Family Zone tickets for $30 (all-in) will INCLUDE a hot dog and soft drink with each ticket purchase! #BCLions #CFL

Yesssssssss!!!!

:thup: Great family promotion for the Lions.
:thup: Great for the Lions to get Global on board as a sponsor.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Now if Global would bring back the weekly feature on the BC Lions.........
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
David wrote:NEW for 2014 - Global BC Family Zone tickets for $30 (all-in) will INCLUDE a hot dog and soft drink with each ticket purchase! #BCLions #CFL

Yesssssssss!!!!

:thup: Great family promotion for the Lions.
:thup: Great for the Lions to get Global on board as a sponsor.
It only took a lack of ST buyers to figure this one out. The fans have spoken and the Lions (Skulsky) have backed down from previous pompous statements about their disposable income of ST holders.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

You can only milk season ticket holders for so long til they say enough is enough. The future of the Lions is bringing in new and young fans.
David
Team Captain

Just announced: there will be a specially discounted price for Simon Fraser Alum for the July 19 game versus Montreal.
wrote: Special Rate: SFU grads can buy tickets to the game at a cost of $34 (+$1.25 ticket processing fee) per ticket - a $10 discount!

Promo Code: sfualum

Again this year, Coast Capital customers can save up to 23% off regular season single game tickets Details Here.

I was really hoping the Leos could hit 30,000 for the season opener this Saturday against Edmonton but I have not heard much buzz or hype yet from the club. Yes, it's Tuesday, but they've got a lot of tickets to sell and Saturday afternoon is not too far away.

Roar, You Lions, Roar