Higgins to coach Als

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Good hire by the Als
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Great hire by the Als. Higgins is a two-time CFL coach of the year. Jim Popp can focus on being GM. Coaching isn't his forte.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Why though has it taken this long? A bit weird with Popp at the Superbowl and this lingering and Higgins fired by the CFL some time ago.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Apparently Higgins was hired without input from Jim Popp. Higgins also was a former General Manager. Jim Popp is in his final year as GM. Coincidence ?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Apparently Higgins was hired without input from Jim Popp. Higgins also was a former General Manager. Jim Popp is in his final year as GM. Coincidence ?
I had read some sort of HC search was on and it did not involve Jim Popp but what I read had not said why Popp was not in the process. But GM/HC in one guy past this year would be new for MTL but not impossible if Higgins does a good job. He'd no doubt actually live in the city.

What I found odd was the seating at the AC retirement where Popp seemed quite far to the right of the podium vs all others and not just the owner.

What I also find odd is how for the past two off years Popp has not squelched these NFL rumours and if I were the owner I'd be annoyed with that.

I don't like the GM not living in the City as the GM has a role to play in building community interest in the team - breakfasts, lunches, etc where they get out and meet fans and potential fans.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Pretty good resume.

I've always liked him as a person. Mild mannered Tom Higgins.

He looks too nice to be a linebacker in pro football. Too nice to be an effective Head Coach. But he looks like he could be your favourite teacher, or that supportive uncle who encouraged you in sports.

Solid hiring. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
274always
All Star

TheLionKing wrote:Apparently Higgins was hired without input from Jim Popp. Higgins also was a former General Manager. Jim Popp is in his final year as GM. Coincidence ?
Not likely. Looks like the divorce is looming
Grey Cup 103. Graduation day.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:Great hire by the Als. Higgins is a two-time CFL coach of the year. Jim Popp can focus on being GM. Coaching isn't his forte.
X2-----Kinda figured Higgins would be hired to a CFL coaching gig when he got AXED by the CFL, just didn't think it would be this season.......
(Oops, according to CFL.ca, Higgins resigned, he wasn't AXED from his officiating gig with the CFL)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

274always wrote:
Not likely. Looks like the divorce is looming
No sense keeping a lame duck GM around
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Wow, I'm a little surprised by all the positive comments here re: Higgins. I thought that his teams were unimaginative and though he was successful at points, he didn't seem to inspire greatness. After the Trestman years, the fans are going to be in for a shock. Higgins plus no Calvillo may mean some hard times for the Als. I guess after the Hawkins fiasco, Flanders is a fairly safe option and probably the best man available out their at the moment but I'm not sure that this is gonna be a happy marriage between him and the Als fan base when they get tired of the boring play calls
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

If in the next year or so, Popp leaves for the NFL, then Higgins becomes GM and hires himself a coach.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:If in the next year or so, Popp leaves for the NFL, then Higgins becomes GM and hires himself a coach.
That would be one scenario that could play out.

I didn't think Higgins was brilliant consistently as a HC.

The owner is clear - for now they want the GM FT and HC FT and they have the Popp record as GM to prove the model to them. He also has less than a stellar record as a HC even though it is not fair to hang the mid season take over records all on him.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Arland Bruce is gone as TSN says Higgins wants to play Canadians instead. Yah right.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=444752

It is sad that the story links Bruce to the anti-gay comments when clearly his usual outlandish comments were not attacks on others and they were all backed up on the field of play.

It would be bad for him to go out of football now or the comments will be featured in every recall of him.

He can still play.