West Semi-Final Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The road to the Grey Cup begins and ends in Regina. Will one of these two teams be back to play for the Cup in two weeks? It's a tough road. I like the Lions' chances this week at least.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Winner gets to play Calgary next week. Loser gets to pack up and go home. Lions are the underdogs and has nothing to lose. The pressure is squarely on the Riders. Lions have had a good week of practice. Whether that translates into a win, we'll know in a few hours but I have a feeling ........
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I think we will see two very fired up teams who want this game badly.

The factors that might affect it:

> weather.
> one team coming out overly fired up and fizzling.
> QB play on both teams as well as which team's offence can gets going fast and can score.

The Riders are very unlikely after the last two games BC has played to take BC lightly and their last game has to be their wake up call.

Chamblin was asked about the Lions running game and he says he saw it a few years back from BC so the latest running with Logan and Harris is not new for JC or to the Riders. They sound like they are very much ready for the Lions run tendencies. Chamblin sounded on TV very confident they know how the Lions will run but just suggested that two QBs might run different packages.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Blitz
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Winner gets to play Calgary next week. Loser gets to pack up and go home. Lions are the underdogs and has nothing to lose. The pressure is squarely on the Riders. Lions have had a good week of practice. Whether that translates into a win, we'll know in a few hours but I have a feeling ........
Hooked on a feelin...high on believin... :wink: Hope your feeling is right TLK.

The Riders have all of their starting offensive line back for this game...first time since August...so anticipating we'll see a lot of Sheets.

We'll get the football first...would love to see a long drive. :rockin:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

just a little fired up this morning... lol lets have a good one boys!
2012 Season Ticket Holder
Bosco
Team Captain

Key for Lions D is to shut down Kory Sheets early. If he doesn't get his yards, this will force Sask OC George Cortez to open up the passing game, and should result in Sheets sulking on the sideline.
Blitz
Team Captain

Bosco wrote:Key for Lions D is to shut down Kory Sheets early. If he doesn't get his yards, this will force Sask OC George Cortez to open up the passing game, and should result in Sheets sulking on the sideline.
The upsetting news is that Eliminian has been left home. He hurt his leg in the fourth quarter against Calgary, only practiced once this week, and Wally decided to leave Eliminian home rather than take the chance of playing one man short.

McKenzie will start in the middle. We not only lose the communication of Bighill and Eliminian but the two playing together were a key to defending Sheets and the run. Here is hoping that McKenzie, who has never impressed me on the occasions he has played the middle can play the game of his life.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Bosco
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:
Bosco wrote:Key for Lions D is to shut down Kory Sheets early. If he doesn't get his yards, this will force Sask OC George Cortez to open up the passing game, and should result in Sheets sulking on the sideline.
The upsetting news is that Eliminian has been left home. He hurt his leg in the fourth quarter against Calgary, only practiced once this week, and Wally decided to leave Eliminian home rather than take the chance of playing one man short.

McKenzie will start in the middle. We not only lose the communication of Bighill and Eliminian but the two playing together were a key to defending Sheets and the run. Here is hoping that McKenzie, who has never impressed me on the occasions he has played the middle can play the game of his life.
Oh Oh! :bang: This certainly will have an effect on the Lions D. McKenzie is a capable LB, but Elimimian will be missed.
Blitz
Team Captain

Supposedly Rod Black has blogged that the Riders have a new play for this game that is unstoppable and will fool our Lions. I hope he is very wrong.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Damn we will miss Solo. MacKenzie is really going to have to step up given Sheets will be the main feature in the Riders game plan. Good news is Josh Bell is playing which means the secondary stays intact with no position switches and he is our best match-up for Dressler. Sure hope the extra week off served well for Keron Williams as he is way over due for a big game. Man its going to be cold with minus 14 temp expected at game time. :shock:
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:Supposedly Rod Black has blogged that the Riders have a new play for this game that is unstoppable and will fool our Lions. I hope he is very wrong.
Makes sense that he'd say that... I just saw him/Ford do a pre-game rundown :bang: outside the stadium. So they are todays crew....

So, Mr. Rob "UNBELIEVABLE" Black thinks the Riders have a new play that is unstoppable? I highly doubt it and even if its true I guess we won't have to listen to him describing it......

Simon is apparently whom the TSN crew is thinking will replace Getzlaf. Okay....

Looking forward to watching the game. Have to miss most of the East Semi due to some work. All set with bevvies and snacks...... :popcorn: Like the Lions chances (a lot more than a two weeks ago). Will Lulay's first start in 2013 against the RIders be a successful one? I hope so, but I also realize if he can't go, we got BP ready to go....
swervynmerv
Legend

I still think the Riders will be had. They, their media and fans are all taking the Lions too lightly in my opinion.

The Lions MUST start fast to tune out the crowd and get to Durant early so he gets flustered. Unlike Lulay, Durant gets easily rattled and it shows in his play and body language.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

In the eastern game, Hamilton's receivers have been blatantly offside about five times so far and I think they've been flagged once.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

LU's picks.....

AL's and Riders..... Hope he's wrong on both counts......
David
Team Captain

There's no doubt that our Leos will be at a distinct disadvantage in severe cold weather, having just arrived yesterday. Nothing can prepare a team from the West Coast for these kinds of extreme comditions (-11C at kick-off with wind gusts of 30KM? :shock: Ummm....advantage Riders). And I'm guessing if we're against the wind on 3rd down we should probably just go for it instead of having McCallum punt into it?? :wink: Here's how I see it by position:

QUARTERBACK - slight edge Sask. Not Durant's finest year by any measure, but wouldn't you prefer to go into a big game with a strong-armed and healthy QB who knows how to play in the cold, windy conditions of Mosaic? Having Buck on the bench an advantage for BC, but I suspect Travis will be given a very long rope. The shoulder is still very much untested from where I sit. Let's hope it doesn't tighten like a rusty lug nut.

RUNNING BACK - Even. Logan and Harris pose a formidible 1-2 punch, but Sheets was outstanding all season (1,598 yards).

O-LINE - Sask.BC's line has come on recently with improved pass blocking and a commitment to the run, but the Riders' line with Picard, Labatte, and Heenan has been strong all year long. Now they get Best back.

RECEIVERS - BC Not sold on Rider receiving corps with Getlaf out of the line-up. They will be relying heavily on the midget. A little nervous about our wideouts though with Arceneaux banged up.

DEFENSIVE LINE - slight edge Sask. John Chick has really come on and Ricky Foley has had his best season since leaving BC (8 sacks each). Eric Taylor has had a fine year, and Chris Wilson has improved since coming back, but I am not sold on Williams inside (if that's where he lines up).

LINEBACKERS - Even. BC would have an advantage with Solly. Anton McKenzie is one of the smartest players on the field, but can he get to where he needs to be? Will need to have an outstanding game to make up for the loss of Solly.

SECONDARY - Even. Both teams solid here. I like the physical dominance that Tyron Brackenridge brings, but you also have to like the veteran presence of BC's secondary in a big game like this. This match-up is even unless Bell has to come out due to lingering concussion issues.

KICKING GAME - Sask. I like McCallum's experience but not his leg, especially in cold weather. His last couple of outings at Mosaic were a disappointment. Advantage Schmitt/Milo.

RETURN GAME- BC. We'll have to see whether a cold, slick field will allow Logan to do his thing. If so, we have an advantage here. If not, even.

Go Lions!!!

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar