Riders vs. Lions, October 4th - Attendance/Seating

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Upper Bowl
Starter

I know it's not happening for another couple weeks, and I thought about posting this in the ticket prices/marketing thread, but it will almost certainly be the biggest crowd of the regular season, so why not have a specific thread? I'm sure SJ-Roc will do a great job of crunching the numbers, as usual.
Strong ticket sales force Lions to open up additional seating

BCLions.com Staff

The BC Lions Football Club today announced that additional sections in BC Place have been opened up to accommodate a strong demand for tickets for the team’s Friday, October 4th game versus the Saskatchewan Roughriders presented by Budweiser.

“We’re still two weeks away, but it’s already tracking to be our biggest crowd of the season so far with tickets selling very briskly. To keep up with demand, we are now opening up more sections,” said president and CEO Dennis Skulsky.

Tickets in the Gemstone Gridiron Deck are $30 with seats in the Freshslice Family Zone going for $25. Sections opening beside these two areas are priced at $32.86 plus applicable fees and taxes. A great selection of seats between the 30 yard-lines is also available in the stadium’s upper deck.

Following last week’s win over the Montreal Alouettes, the Lions are not only undefeated at home in 2013, but have put together 12 consecutive regular season home wins dating back to 2012. Since returning to a refurbished BC Place in 2011, the club has won an incredible 18 of 19 regular season home games.

A home playoff game is still within reach this year for the 7-4 Leos, who will challenge Saskatchewan for a share of second place in the West this weekend in Regina.

“We’ve seen in recent days through some fun video pieces that a Lions game day at BC Place is unlike anything sports fans in British Columbia can get anywhere else,” added Skulsky. “The atmosphere created by our players and fans combined with a huge divisional matchup versus Saskatchewan make this game the kind of experience you only get by being in the stadium.”

Click here for a look at the Lions recent viral video Lions Shuffle.

Fans can pick up tickets for the October 4th tilt by visiting ticketmaster.ca or calling 604.589.ROAR (7627).
LadnerLion
Rookie

I'm excited to go to this game. Should be a great crowd, at least 35,000. Looking at ticketmaster, looks like the lower bowl is sold out

I wish they'd stop trying to force the "Lion Shuffle". no one cares
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

LadnerLion wrote:I wish they'd stop trying to force the "Lion Shuffle". no one cares
Perhaps you don't care, and that's fine. Truth be told, I didn't care too much to it for myself as I watched from my seat on Sunday, either, nor do I care much for the song itself or that whole genre of music in general. But with all due respect I don't know how you can say "no one cares". This video has had DOUBLE the views of all other videos they've uploaded over the last two years, COMBINED — in only THREE days! If "no one cares" about the Lion Shuffle, then no one cares about the Lions. Media — and I've already highlighted several examples on here — have picked up on this video. Here's another one from ESPN:
Players In CFL Dance To Song By Lafayette Artist During Review (Video)
By Scott Prather September 18, 2013 2:13 PM

NFL teams can learn a few things from CFL teams.

One, the French language.

Two, (and more realistic) how to keep the crowd energized during a video review timeout. The B.C. Lions give a purrfect example of this by dancing to the cupid shuffle during a video review timeout.

I love this, and vehemently encourage all NFL defenses that don’t suck to do the Cupid Shuffle during all video reviews. What do you think?
The Lions simply cannot survive in this market by serving up steak alone. Admittedly, that's probably enough for many of the people on this board and/or people who have played and/or coached the game and know a thing or two about the Xs and Os.

But most people in this market do NOT fit this demographic. These people will need some sizzle to go along with that steak, and this is it. From the sounds of it, you weren't at the game on Sunday, because I can tell you tons of fans were dancing, clapping, cheering, etc when the players started dancing. That's hardly a case of "no one cares". Perhaps this buzz will run its course soon enough but no matter how it all settles out, it has captured people's attention in a way that no other video they've ever released has.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Bobbyp
Champion

3 of us coming from Kelowna with a 4th joining us from Vancouver. And I care I thought that dance was funny.
Some mispelling may or may not occur as well as using a word incorrectly in my posts
READER CAUTION IS STRICTLY ADVISED
notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote: The Lions simply cannot survive in this market by serving up steak alone. ....
....These people will need some sizzle to go along with that steak, and this is it. From the sounds of it, you weren't at the game on Sunday, because I can tell you tons of fans were dancing, clapping, cheering, etc when the players started dancing. That's hardly a case of "no one cares". Perhaps this buzz will run its course soon enough but no matter how it all settles out, it has captured people's attention in a way that no other video they've ever released has.
I'm with you there. I love football and all I need is the steak. BUT, I do not believe my view is THE ONLY ONE. I realize many either want more or get something different than I get from a CFL football game. The patio zone or gridiron zone, MAKES NO SENSE TO ME, but if it gets people in and they buy tickets, GREAT. As long as what other people are doing at a game doesn't impact my viewing of the game, FILL YOUR BOOTS. There are so many unscripted situations that occur in a stadium while watching a football game.

Mistakes like the early running of the telusphere, last game. The senior couple that dress all up in white in captain outfits? The Kiss-cam? It goes on and on. Some, sure I could do without but all in all its just meant to be a few hours of fun and it usually is (especially when they WIN).
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

notahomer wrote:
sj-roc wrote: The Lions simply cannot survive in this market by serving up steak alone. ....
....These people will need some sizzle to go along with that steak, and this is it. From the sounds of it, you weren't at the game on Sunday, because I can tell you tons of fans were dancing, clapping, cheering, etc when the players started dancing. That's hardly a case of "no one cares". Perhaps this buzz will run its course soon enough but no matter how it all settles out, it has captured people's attention in a way that no other video they've ever released has.
I'm with you there. I love football and all I need is the steak. BUT, I do not believe my view is THE ONLY ONE. I realize many either want more or get something different than I get from a CFL football game. The patio zone or gridiron zone, MAKES NO SENSE TO ME, but if it gets people in and they buy tickets, GREAT. As long as what other people are doing at a game doesn't impact my viewing of the game, FILL YOUR BOOTS. There are so many unscripted situations that occur in a stadium while watching a football game.

Mistakes like the early running of the telusphere, last game. The senior couple that dress all up in white in captain outfits? The Kiss-cam? It goes on and on. Some, sure I could do without but all in all its just meant to be a few hours of fun and it usually is (especially when they WIN).
For old fuddy-duddies (and many of us here are either in or nearing that demographic) that little dance routine might at first seem silly, hokey or any of several other less than complimentary names. Regardless the players were having fun during an otherwise boring interlude in the action and the fans in attendance really lapped it up. It's difficut to guess whether we'd see it during a close game or one when the Lions are trailing. However I'd be willing to bet the fans at the Rider game will be looking out for it and where most sat and watched it on Sunday the next timeit happens a good portion will be standing up and joining in. Funny thing is something like this can have a snowball effect. Even though it might only last for 45 seconds and has nothing to do with the 60 minutes of football it's enough get people talking Lions at the water cooler and how it looks like it must be fun going to the games. Players have fun. Fans in the stadium have fun. It's all on TV and quickly going viral on Youtube and next thing you know more people want to get in the house to get a piece of that action.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I'm old school. Don't like too much celebrating and I find the rehearsed stuff not something I'd want my team to do.

I don't mind this latest Lion video as long as they weren't and in future aren't wasting valuable time rehearsing that stuff. There is so much a player can do - personal film review- etc. Wasting time on that stuff is not a good thing for me.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

LadnerLion wrote:I'm excited to go to this game. Should be a great crowd, at least 35,000. Looking at ticketmaster, looks like the lower bowl is sold out

You must be a JR LaRose fan as he was the only one not dancing.
jmc24
Rookie

DanoT wrote:
LadnerLion wrote:I'm excited to go to this game. Should be a great crowd, at least 35,000. Looking at ticketmaster, looks like the lower bowl is sold out

Makes sense....He's also the only one who can't play defence
LadnerLion
Rookie

I stand corrected, I'm glad the crowd enjoyed it. They've just been mentioning it in a lot of their social media updates and it felt really forced to me. But hey, if people like it, then I guess the Lions pulled it off. I didn't mean to sound so cynical in my earlier post.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

jmc24 wrote:
DanoT wrote:

LMAO thanks jm24 for one of the best replies of the 2013 season. :roar:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

jmc24 wrote:
DanoT wrote:

:wink: :wink: :thup:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Since this thread is concerned with attendance for the Oct 4th game, this should be apropos — the UBC Alumni association is offering its members a $10 discount on tickets for this game through the following promotion and pre-game event at the Shark Club on Georgia:

http://www.alumni.ubc.ca/2013/events/bc ... ame-event/
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I know it shouldn't matter but will the recent play affect turnout? IMO, the Riders are in a bit of a freefall AT THIS POINT IN TIME. Hopefully, that continues because I want to have to buy a playoff ticket. That being said, all of that is still a long ways off and who knows who'll end up where when the season ends.

Sometimes Rider games can be a bit annoying. If you get a superfan, bellowing over every first down etc... But, in my experience, most riderfans are like every other teams fans, realizing their team is their favourite but NOTHING without the rest of the CFL. Gentle ribbing and cheering, FINE. Obnoxious, in yer face! No thanks.

Lets hope its a classic contest. A game similar to the one I watched last Sunday will be just fine, thanks. IMO, both teams will bring a better execution of the game plan than happened at Mosiac.......
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Rider fans will turn out, no matter how their team is faring in the standings. The ones who come to B.C. Place are usually quiet and subdued since their team hasn't won there since the renovation and they didn't win too often before that.