Ti-Cats vs. Lions Game Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Kick off went directly to Paris Jackson
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Ti Cats a powerful team...outcome too close for comfort but it is what it is..

We preserved a win tonight...we have much work to do if we are to become the team we can become. :2cents:
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Much progress in this game, though the offence got a bit stale again in the second half. And Sol was missed.
vanhalendlrband
Rookie

Lulay had the game we needed from him. Our defence and O lines were much better this game. Really good sign stopping a hot Hamilton club, hottest in the league until tonight.

30,564 in attendance. Quite an amazing crowd for a long weekend game against Hamilton outdrawing the Calgary game. Look for attendance to start getting a lot higher into the fall here I would think.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

vanhalendlrband wrote:Lulay had the game we needed from him. Our defence and O lines were much better this game. Really good sign stopping a hot Hamilton club, hottest in the league until tonight.

30,564 in attendance. Quite an amazing crowd for a long weekend game against Hamilton outdrawing the Calgary game. Look for attendance to start getting a lot higher into the fall here I would think.
Pleasantly surprised by 30k+. Oddly, it wasn't announced at the game, unless I missed it but I was in my seat the whole time. Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong because it strikes me as very odd to treat your best attendance figure of the year, against our weakest draw no less, like it was classified information.

I checked the attendance history for reg season games @BCP vs Ham, right back to 1983; this is only the 11th time out of 29 Ticat visits where the crowd was >30k, and only the fourth time since the 1991 closer (when 3-15 Ham upset Flutie-led BC — a loss that ended up costing the Lions a home playoff game) played in front of 47,823 fans, which remains the all-time high vs Ham. Not suprisingly, the other three times all came during Ackles's presidency, when we had 30k+ for nearly every game anyway.

Now, will we get a blitz of feel-good press releases before the next game on Sep 15 vs Mtl, touting how the crowds have been building all season and encouraging the rest of the city to get on board, or will we just hear the chirping of crickets?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Upper Bowl
Starter

Don't remind me about that '91 game, what a heartbraker!

Thanks for the attendance stats though...interesting stuff. And you're right, they must have forgot to announce the crowd. But it was a pleasant surprise and certainly helped add to the noise factor.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote: 30,564 in attendance. Quite an amazing crowd for a long weekend game against Hamilton outdrawing the Calgary game. Look for attendance to start getting a lot higher into the fall here I would think.
Pleasantly surprised by 30k+. Oddly, it wasn't announced at the game, unless I missed it but I was in my seat the whole time. Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong because it strikes me as very odd to treat your best attendance figure of the year, against our weakest draw no less, like it was classified information.

[/quote]

You're not wrong sj-roc, I was at the game and the attendance was not announced.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
sj-roc wrote: 30,564 in attendance. Quite an amazing crowd for a long weekend game against Hamilton outdrawing the Calgary game. Look for attendance to start getting a lot higher into the fall here I would think.
You're not wrong sj-roc, I was at the game and the attendance was not announced.[/quote]

Don't want to be skeptical but did they paper the house last night? EASILY the most fans sitting in the upper deck this season between the goallines and they are $90-70 seats. Those sections sat basically empty for the first 4 games but were about 70 percent full last night for Hamilton. Did see a lot of minor football teams there. Funny enough it was the first Friday game of the season, a night they typically always played on through the summer.

Will be really interesting seeing the attendance for the next game against Montreal. 1:30 on a Sunday going head to head with not only week 2 of the NFL but all the minor football games too that are played on Sundays. Probably very lucky the Seahawks home opener against 49ers is the primetime Sunday night game on NBC instead of 1 pm
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:
sj-roc wrote: Pleasantly surprised by 30k+. Oddly, it wasn't announced at the game, unless I missed it but I was in my seat the whole time. Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong because it strikes me as very odd to treat your best attendance figure of the year, against our weakest draw no less, like it was classified information.
You're not wrong sj-roc, I was at the game and the attendance was not announced.
Don't want to be skeptical but did they paper the house last night? EASILY the most fans sitting in the upper deck this season between the goallines and they are $90-70 seats. Those sections sat basically empty for the first 4 games but were about 70 percent full last night for Hamilton. Did see a lot of minor football teams there. Funny enough it was the first Friday game of the season, a night they typically always played on through the summer.

Will be really interesting seeing the attendance for the next game against Montreal. 1:30 on a Sunday going head to head with not only week 2 of the NFL but all the minor football games too that are played on Sundays. Probably very lucky the Seahawks home opener against 49ers is the primetime Sunday night game on NBC instead of 1 pm
I was wondering about this after I posted last night. Isn't the next game the salute to amateur football game, when they get all the kids on the field for halftime?

Even just being able to see only the tailgate corner of the upper deck from my seat, you knew there was a decent sized crowd up there when you could see (and hear, mostly) the wave in that corner at one point with nobody joining in below.

Looking forward to the Mtl game. May be wishful thinking in light of his concussion but I hope Calvillo recovers and plays, because his futility @BCP is always part of the storyline whenever the Als roll into town. Otherwise we may have already seen him for the last time.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote: Pleasantly surprised by 30k+. Oddly, it wasn't announced at the game, unless I missed it but I was in my seat the whole time. Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong because it strikes me as very odd to treat your best attendance figure of the year, against our weakest draw no less, like it was classified information........
I don't remember it being announced and the attendance number is one thing I try to look for. I don't know why, it doesn't really mean anything to me but I usually throw out a number. My guess last night was 28,500 based on the fact there is a lot going on in Vancouver this week and its a long weekend. For e.g. the PNE, you think would swallow up some of the family crowd that might have gone to a football game. It looked like a smaller crowd to me at first just after kickoff but lots of seats filled as the game progressed through the 1st quarter.

As for other numbers not being announced.... I think the running totals (passing stats/rushing stats etc...) were not being shown last night. I like checking those out. Thankfully the end of quarter stats still get announced but I'd like to see them go back to the running total stats too....
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
sj-roc wrote: Pleasantly surprised by 30k+. Oddly, it wasn't announced at the game, unless I missed it but I was in my seat the whole time. Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong because it strikes me as very odd to treat your best attendance figure of the year, against our weakest draw no less, like it was classified information........
I don't remember it being announced and the attendance number is one thing I try to look for. I don't know why, it doesn't really mean anything to me but I usually throw out a number. My guess last night was 28,500 based on the fact there is a lot going on in Vancouver this week and its a long weekend. For e.g. the PNE, you think would swallow up some of the family crowd that might have gone to a football game. It looked like a smaller crowd to me at first just after kickoff but lots of seats filled as the game progressed through the 1st quarter.

As for other numbers not being announced.... I think the running totals (passing stats/rushing stats etc...) were not being shown last night. I like checking those out. Thankfully the end of quarter stats still get announced but I'd like to see them go back to the running total stats too....
Yeah, I noticed the up-to-date stat ribbon was OOO last night. That's something they need to keep. Something you don't get on TSN. For now anyway. I've already seen some NFL games in past seasons where they update pass/rush stats onscreen with each play. Not sure if it's always onscreen but it is a viewing enhancement. The problem with EOQ stats @BCP is that they're always so slow putting them onscreen. By the time you see them, the whole complexion of the game could have completely turned from what the stats are telling. If they could fix the stat ribbon you almost wouldn't even need the EOQ's.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
notahomer wrote:

Yeah, I noticed the up-to-date stat ribbon was OOO last night. That's something they need to keep. Something you don't get on TSN. For now anyway. I've already seen some NFL games in past seasons where they update pass/rush stats onscreen with each play. Not sure if it's always onscreen but it is a viewing enhancement. The problem with EOQ stats @BCP is that they're always so slow putting them onscreen. By the time you see them, the whole complexion of the game could have completely turned from what the stats are telling. If they could fix the stat ribbon you almost wouldn't even need the EOQ's.
Maybe the Lions don't want their players to see them so they are not frustrated in game to know that they are not having success at running the ball and then annoying Harris.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy