So what's the verdict on the alternate unis?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

How would you rate the Lions' new 3rd uniforms?

Absolutely fantastic!
59%
I like them
20%
Meh - don't love 'em, but don't hate them either
5%
Not my thing, baby!
9%
Hate them
7%

Total votes: 56
David
Team Captain

How would you rate the new uniforms that were introduced tonight in honour of their 60th Anniversary?

I can tell you the Twitterverse is lighting up with approval, the concourse sold out of them tonight, and players seemed to like them too (Dante Marsh: "Dopest uni ever...Great win tonight...).
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

Count me in the loving it club and I don't get caught up in the uni debates ever. My kids seemed to love them as well. Best third uni'a in the CFL by a converted TD.
Entertainment value = an all time low
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

David wrote:How would you rate the new uniforms that were introduced tonight in honour of their 60th Anniversary?

I can tell you the Twitterverse is lighting up with approval, the concourse sold out of them tonight, and players seemed to like them too (Dante Marsh: "Dopest uni ever...Great win tonight...).
As I mentioned in another thread, the timing was kind of ironic after Angus Reid was in the Sun and on 1040 this week talking up just how gosh-darn wonderful it was that we had the good sense to ditch those uninspired Raider-wannabe black unis and went back to the orange that punctuated the successful 1980s era. He even reminded us of how it's important to offer the fanbase consistent branding and getting not only orange but the RIGHT HUE of orange was all part of this. Oops!

Well, I guess they're technically charcoal grey, not exactly black — so it wasn't quite a case of unwittingly dissing the new threads. But under the circumstances it still comes off a bit awkward to me.

I don't care for the poor contrast of the numbers. Other than that, I don't mind them too much as a third jersey but it would be weird if this were to suddenly become the new uniform after how we've been hearing them preach the gospel on All Things Orange these last several years.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
David
Team Captain

LOL, I know sj-roc. You'd think Cartmell or someone at the Lions' office would have had the good sense to proof his article and go, "Errr...you know what Angus? You may want to hold off on this one for a little while....how 'bout the old "dining on the road" stand-by instead?? :rotf:

It was pretty much just as you state. He was extolling "all things orange" as being wonderful for branding and identity, and portrayed the 90's era black unis as bland and generic. Oops.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I'm not a fan of third unis in general. You train the fan base to wear orange and then come out in black, or grey or whatever you want to call it. This, though, is over the top stupid. Black numbers on black jerseys. I sit in the second row and even I was having a tough time telling who was who. The stadium announcer seemed to get it wrong more often than not. How can anyone learn about players and identify with them if they can't tell them apart. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

David wrote:LOL, I know sj-roc. You'd think Cartmell or someone at the Lions' office would have had the good sense to proof his article and go, "Errr...you know what Angus? You may want to hold off on this one for a little while....how 'bout the old "dining on the road" stand-by instead?? :rotf:

It was pretty much just as you state. He was extolling "all things orange" as being wonderful for branding and identity, and portrayed the 90's era black unis as bland and generic. Oops.

Well, they can always reprint the article next week and invert all the black and orange mentions, just like I mentioned at the tailgate today LOL. Man, did I totally overestimate how long it would be before they brought back the black or what? I was thinking years or even decades, not hours!
Last edited by sj-roc on Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

love em but i would go with solid orange with the numbers tho :)
2012 Season Ticket Holder
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

I found this pic of the new 3rd uniforms on tsn.ca. They look better here than from the stands with the naked eye.

Um, can someone explain why Jason Arakgi is trying to reach into Tim Brown's pants?
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:I'm not a fan of third unis in general. You train the fan base to wear orange and then come out in black, or grey or whatever you want to call it. This, though, is over the top stupid. Black numbers on black jerseys. I sit in the second row and even I was having a tough time telling who was who. The stadium announcer seemed to get it wrong more often than not. How can anyone learn about players and identify with them if they can't tell them apart. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
From a practical standpoint, you make a good point. But this is more about marketing, merchandising, image and youth appeal. Besides, you'll only see these 1 or 2x a season ('til yet another alternate comes out in a few years....uggh! :wink:).

These uniforms speak to a different generation, one that was brought up on computer games and identifies with the more futuristic NCAA/Oregon Ducks style of uniform. So, measured against others of a similar style, I like them (although, as you can probably guess, I'd have been much happier if they ran out of the tunnel wearing '64 replicas).

If this helps them sell to a younger demo, then I am all for it. I can't speak for the rest of the Lower Mainland, but where I live (west side of Vancouver), the Lions are getting skunked by the Whitecaps. No comparison. If I ever see a Lions hat or t-shirt - which is rare - it's invariably being worn by a guy over 40. Meanwhile, I see lots of youth and 20-somethings wearing Whitecaps (and of course, Canucks) merchandise. It was important to turn up the 'cool' quotient.....and the Lions have done just that!

Roar, You Lions, Roar
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

So the official name of the colour is "gun-metal grey", huh? Yeah, I'm pretty sure everyone in a town like Vancouver is gonna be hunky-dory with one of its pro sports teams aligning itself with the colour of firearms. That sound you hear is an aghast Hedy Fry gasping in horror. The stadium is in her riding, after all.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/lions-don- ... -1.1415964
Lions don 'gun-metal' grey uniforms at last minute against Stampeders

B.C. Lions' Jabar Westerman, 99, congratulates Tim Brown, 7, after he returned a Calgary Stampeders kickoff for a touchdown during the first half of a CFL football game in Vancouver, B.C., on Saturday August 17, 2013. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck)

Monte Stewart, The Canadian Press
Published Saturday, August 17, 2013 11:29PM EDT

VANCOUVER -- Was it a marketing effort or subterfuge?

A bit of both, it seems.

The B.C. Lions made a last-minute uniform change Saturday night before their CFL game against the Calgary Stampeders. The new "gun-metal" grey duds effectively camouflaged jersey numbers from a distance.

According to Lions president Dennis Skulsky, only a handful of club executives knew of the change in advance.

"It's been a closely guarded secret for months and our equipment manager Ken Kasuya deserves a lot of credit for pulling this off without a single player having any idea what was going to happen tonight," said Skulsky in a news release.

The change came as the Lions were looking to avenge losses to Calgary in their season opener and the 2012 Western Final. A share of first place in the West Division was also on the line. [NOT really true after Ssk won earlier in the day. In fact, even with this win we're still officially in 3rd with Cgy having the points differential edge in the tiebreaker after now splitting our first two head-to-head games. — sj-r]

The Lions came out of their dressing room through a covered "runway" and the usual large inflatable helmet in a bid to hide the grey jerseys, pants and helmets coloured like auto primer. The attire included orange paws on the helmets and jersey shoulders. Black numbers bore orange borders while the pants had orange piping down the legs.

The jersey colour, made it difficult for fans in the stadium and TV viewers to see numbers from a distance.

The club's news release said the "futuristic" alternate jersey was almost a year in the making. Skulsky, equipment manager Ken (Kato) Kasuya, general manager Wally Buono and coach Mike Benevides offered input.

Jerseys, pants and helmets were tailored to each player's specifications based on the existing home uniform. Kasuya worked in secrecy with suppliers to ensure the same fit and feel without any break-in period.

After B.C.'s 42 players left the dressing room in their usual home orange jerseys, white pants and white helmets, Kasuya and his crew in stalled the new fashion statements in their lockers. When players came back following the warmup, they discovered the new fashion gear and changed into it.

"It was a lot of work and I'm grateful for the help of everyone involved, but the look on the players' faces tonight made it all worthwhile," Kasuya was quoted in the news release. "I've been here for more than 30 years and I'll never forget the reaction of the players and the excitement in the room."

Replica jerseys went on sale in B.C. Place Stadium during the game and will continue to be sold.

"We've talked a lot about what an amazing six decades it's been for the B.C. Lions, but this incredible jersey design and launch is about the next 60 years," said Skulsky. "We've established our orange colour as one of the strongest brand correlations in Canada, and we're not departing from that any time soon."

Except, perhaps, when the Lions host their arch rivals from Calgary again.
Last edited by sj-roc on Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Upper Bowl
Starter

Let's not forget, Joe and Willie wore more black than they did orange. While I'd also prefer an exact replica of the '64 unis, I'm happy with what we got.

The players looked fast, strong, sleek, and just generally badass! And frankly, Angus's physique would be flattered by the new unis!

No one needs to worry about the orange being cast aside. The huge boom in merchandising means it's not going anywhere. Skulsky has repeatedly said as much. He even mentions it in the news release.

I'm cool with these being brought out two or three times a season. They nod to the team's heritage, while embracing a powerful, modern look.

Thanks for the thread and poll David. Definitely a worthwhile topic.
Spud387
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:I'm not a fan of third unis in general. You train the fan base to wear orange and then come out in black, or grey or whatever you want to call it. This, though, is over the top stupid. Black numbers on black jerseys. I sit in the second row and even I was having a tough time telling who was who. The stadium announcer seemed to get it wrong more often than not. How can anyone learn about players and identify with them if they can't tell them apart. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
I like them, bought one myself. Definitely a different look and that's what i want to see in a third jersey.

Also you are giving the stadium announcer too much credit. He has been absolutely atrocious this entire year calling out wrong numbers, players or yardage. He's been so bad the entire year it is embarrassing.
carnifex2005
prospect

Absolutely fantastic. The best uniform in the CFL or NFL. Extremely modern but not over done, the lines on the uniform were elegant, the colour orange used was striking, the old logo looked great against the matte finish of the helmet, the little touch of the dark black shoulders contrasting against the matte grey chest/back of the uniform. An excellent job by Reebok. 11/10
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I love the new unis. To me, on TV it gave the players a video game look and the flat grey helmet with bright orange paw was the best part.

They need either solid orange numbers for better vis or maybe some sort of orange hash marks at an angle within the number outline? Or maybe a thin solid inch or inch and a half wide number inside the current number outline.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Garbage. We aren't Oklahoma State. This isn't college. And I say this as someone who loves the all black look in general.

Now you kids get off my lawn.