So what's the verdict on the alternate unis?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

How would you rate the Lions' new 3rd uniforms?

Absolutely fantastic!
59%
I like them
20%
Meh - don't love 'em, but don't hate them either
5%
Not my thing, baby!
9%
Hate them
7%

Total votes: 56
David
Team Captain

Funny, on Twitter the Lions have been using the hashtag #blackistheneworange.

I would have used "Black To The Future" (#blacktothefuture). My hashtaag idea is a forward looking (re:the futuristic design) play on words with a nod to the past as part of the 60th Anniversary. Theirs implies that orange is being replaced and would (presumably) concern fans like LadnerLion who just bought an orange jersey and was worried it was no longer being used.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting that even Chad Johnson weighed in yesterday on the uniforms.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I'm surprised that Chad Johnson would be aware of Lions uniforms. Is he thinking of trying to reignite his career via the CFL?
MikeAK
All Star

DanoT wrote:I'm surprised that Chad Johnson would be aware of Lions uniforms. Is he thinking of trying to reignite his career via the CFL?
I doubt he knows much about the CFL or the Lions. One of his followers sent him a pic and asked him what he thought. Stranger things have happened but I think the days of NFL leftovers thinking they can come up here and have a career are long over. Chad, Ocho (or what ever he wants to be called now) has probably cashed his last paycheck as a pro footballer.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:I'm surprised that Chad Johnson would be aware of Lions uniforms. Is he thinking of trying to reignite his career via the CFL?
He'll feel right at home with the circus in Edmonton and Winnipeg.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

almo89 wrote:What do you guys think of the matte black helmets with the orange jersey?

:thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup:
Zarquon
Champion

David wrote:Funny, on Twitter the Lions have been using the hashtag #blackistheneworange.

I would have used "Black To The Future" (#blacktothefuture). My hashtaag idea is a forward looking (re:the futuristic design) play on words with a nod to the past as part of the 60th Anniversary. Theirs implies that orange is being replaced and would (presumably) concern fans like LadnerLion who just bought an orange jersey and was worried it was no longer being used.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting that even Chad Johnson weighed in yesterday on the uniforms.

DH :cool:
I guess someone was piggy backing on the new hit NetFlix show "Orange is the New Black" with the #blackistheneworange
Meus occupatio est ut calcitro vestri clunis.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Arland Bruce in Lowell U's column is complaining about the numbers not being able to be read in the coaches' tape and calling for a fine for BC...lol.

I wondered if that might happen. It doesn't say if this is the Als view or not or if he is just having some fun with it.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Toppy Vann wrote:Arland Bruce in Lowell U's column is complaining about the numbers not being able to be read in the coaches' tape and calling for a fine for BC...lol.

I wondered if that might happen. It doesn't say if this is the Als view or not or if he is just having some fun with it.

Pretty tough for the league to impose a fine against the Lions for wearing jerseys they couldn't wear without first being granted permission by said league. Pro sports leagues are very brand conscious. No change of anything related to jerseys, logos etc is allowed without running it by the league for approval.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
woody
Champion

here are some pictures from the game.
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjHDjBPe
Seathanaich
prospect

Yawn. Black is a boring uniform colour, especially if it's all black, unless you are the iconic New Zealand All Blacks. Solid white is also boring, unless you're Real Madrid, in which case, yes, again, it is iconic. We did this all black thing in the 1990s, and when we finally went back to orange I was thankful to see the team going back to a real colour. That said, black is the only logical choice to base a third jersey on, being our club's third colour (thankfully they didn't do "Arbutus" brown and light blue); and like some people I wouldn't have minded a true retro if they are celebrating 60 years. If this jersey makes a few new younger fans, great, but I'll be disappointed if they become the new home uniform after the initial enthusiasm dissipates. Black also looks terrible on the Stamps - they should purge their uniforms of black, and stick to clean red and white. The blacks that Montreal and Saskatchewan have used in recent years were much better than this new thing and what the Stamps do. Leave black to the Tabbies and the new Ottawa team - two teams in black is enough in a nine team league.

The league shouldn't have let them use black numbers and letters on black - it's ridiculous, and defeats the purpose of numbering the players.

The same colour jersey and pants is also a terrible look. The CFL has gone to that far too much (see Esks on the road, etc), as has MLS. That said, a lot of the uniform redesigns in 2012 (Argos, Ti-Cats, Bombers, Esks) were excellent, primarily because they went back to traditional stripe patterns on the sleeves.

People don't wear football jerseys around much, whether they are orange, white or black. They also don't wear hockey jerseys around much. That's just the way it is; they're both so heavy, and polyester just isn't a comfortable fabric to wear. Soccer jerseys are lighter, which is why they're easier to wear as a regular day shirt. That's part of why so many Whitecaps are being worn now; a higher percentage of those owned are going to be worn on non-game days around town than Lions or Canucks jerseys. I wear my soccer jerseys a lot, but wear my Lions and Canucks t-shirts far more than I wear my Lions and Canucks jerseys. This jersey is NOT going to be seen much around town, just at games after the initial novelty wears off. What people will wear around town is Lions hoodies, sweat shirts, t-shirts, caps, etc.

Most of the people excited about this new black thing are just responding to change. If the Lions were to adopt black as the primary home colour again, the same people would be craving a change within a few years.

The other people excited about this new black thing are the "black uniform" crowd - people who think black looks mean (it doesn't) or intimidating (who are you fooling?). They liked black in the 90s, they like it now, they will always like it. They are a minority; they are vastly outnumbered by those who like this change for change's sake.

The blue, green, and white of the Canucks is iconic, unique within NHL hockey and Canadian pro sport, and represents the mountains and ocean of Vancouver. They have just never found the per fect (really? On this site if you type per fect it switches to purrfect? Lame) logo, unfortunately. The orange, black and white of the Lions is unique within the CFL and within Canadian pro sport, pays homage to the Meralomas roots of the club, and the Lions logo is per fect. The Whitecaps need to go back to the single blue hoop on a white jersey, and they will have a look that is both historical and unique in global soccer (no mean feat). Their modern logo is, I now admit, very good. Lastly, the lacrosse team in Langley needs to recognise that it is no longer in Washington, and try to acquire the Ravens name - a name that is per fect for this area. The Ravens cartoon logo can stay in the garbage, but the black and white with a touch of red and gold used by the Ravens was the per fect nod to the local coast Salish who used these colours in their art. Four local pro teams, all of whom are differentiated by colour within this province, all of whom are already on the right track in terms of colours, or could be with a minor tweak or two.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

If they got Milt Stegall pulling on a Lions jersey on TSN during halftime, they have got to be a great look :rotf:
smphantom
Legend

CTV BC News at 6 did a feature on the high demand but lack of supply for the new jerseys. Glad I got mine right away! :cool:

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=99030 ... tPageNum=1
Stay thirsty my friends.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

They'll be more by mid September
almo89
Legend

As long as they wear it only once or twice a year, I'm fine with it. If we go full time with it, it'll get boring like it did in the 90's. The Lions have to stick with orange as their main colour. I actually liked the 70s retros best with the orange jerseys with black numbers. I wouldn't mind if we went with those full time, but the key is orange has to be the main colour no matter what.