So what's the verdict on the alternate unis?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

How would you rate the Lions' new 3rd uniforms?

Absolutely fantastic!
59%
I like them
20%
Meh - don't love 'em, but don't hate them either
5%
Not my thing, baby!
9%
Hate them
7%

Total votes: 56
David
Team Captain

LadnerLion wrote:I literally bought our regular orange home jersey on the way to the game on Saturday. It was expensive. If the black ones become our standard uniforms I'll go crazy.
They won't be the standard. The club has strategically forged its brand identity with the colour orange and that's not going to change.

But the unintended consequence in all of this is that we're likely to see a hell of a lot more "gun metal" in the crowd despite force feeding us a steady diet of "wear your orange."

So if 80% of the club's most hardcore, cynical, and jaded fans either "like" or "love" these new uniforms, I'd have to say it was a successful launch. :wink:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
rb
Champion

LadnerLion wrote:I literally bought our regular orange home jersey on the way to the game on Saturday. It was expensive. If the black ones become our standard uniforms I'll go crazy.
I expect the gun-metal greys to be worn quite frequently this year but then revert to alternate status next year. They have an newness and instant popularity, and the jersey itself looks good just as regular fan clothing so I think they'll be around for awhile in some regard. Don't see them as long-term full-time home unis, though.
woody
Champion

I just got off the phone with the Lions about the new uniforms.You have to wait till sept before you can pick the player you want,thats when they will have more lettering in stock.
LadnerLion
Rookie

Good point! I do like the black ones, I just want to match the team.
rb
Champion

David wrote:
They won't be the standard. The club has strategically forged its brand identity with the colour orange and that's not going to change.

But the unintended consequence in all of this is that we're likely to see a hell of a lot more "gun metal" in the crowd despite force feeding us a steady diet of "wear your orange."

So if 80% of the club's most hardcore, cynical, and jaded fans either "like" or "love" these new uniforms, I'd have to say it was a successful launch. :wink:

Most "futuristic" designs suck; these ones look quite good.
almo89
Legend

What do you guys think of the matte black helmets with the orange jersey?

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I like the new helmets. For some reason they remind me of carbon.
Heathcliff
Rookie

I brought a friend to the game who had never been to a football game before. She is extremely fashion conscious, and as the team was coming out in their new alternates, she turned to me and said she loved their uniforms, which I thought was a great sign - whoever said above that the Lions needed to do something to market themselves to a younger generation of fans, I agree that this can only help them.

It's funny because during warmups I had been complaining that the Lions got rid of their black jerseys and I missed that meaner looking uniform. Lo and behold they come out of the tunnel in the meanest looking CFL uniform I've ever seen. I love the gunmetal with black and orange accents; to me the lions are black and orange, not orange and white.

I did struggle to distinguish Lions players which was frustrating, so during the game I wasn't completely sold on the alternates, but when I got home and saw highlights and pictures I thought they looked amazing. Again, this can only help their brand with casual sports fans in the area. This is the first jersey they've had in a long time that I would actually want to wear when it's not game day; the only other one I can think of is the 70's retro white with orange sleeves and black numbering. The next time I buy a new jersey for any team, it will be this one.

Oh, and I LOVED the matte helmets with the paw - I would love to see the Lions wear those helmets with their orange home jersey, and why not the gunmetal pants as well...
smphantom
Legend

Funny, as I was getting dressed to go to the game I thought I would order an orange home Lulay jersey from Sports and Stuff this week.
I like others was stunned when the team came out in the new unis! After about 5 minutes I fell in love with the look and immediately went to the concourse to purchase a Lulay (Sorry Rick, couldn't wait) before they sold out. Got 20% off with my Season Ticket Holder discount.

I received so many compliments on the jersey when I returned to my seat wearing it, on the way home, and wearing it around North Van on Sunday.
Stay thirsty my friends.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

almo89 wrote:I have that PVR'd. I can upload it to youtube tomorrow if I have time.
Thanks..........
almo89
Legend

Here you go guys

[video][/video]
Heathcliff
Rookie

Thanks for that!
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:

I would say that 80 percent positive on any team design is way over the top, it is a keeper.
Entertainment value = an all time low
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Wow...thanks for that Almo...I just watched it twice...those uniforms are the tits...those and my fish tacos, of course...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Almo, I want the All Blacks all the time, but I'd take the gun metal black matte helmets with the Orange uni's as a compromise...honestly, I can't see our Defence playing a bad game in those uni's...they were made for each other...

And Lulay looked so good with those high top black sneakers, I thought for sure he was going to have a big game...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein