So what's the verdict on the alternate unis?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

How would you rate the Lions' new 3rd uniforms?

Absolutely fantastic!
59%
I like them
20%
Meh - don't love 'em, but don't hate them either
5%
Not my thing, baby!
9%
Hate them
7%

Total votes: 56
Upper Bowl
Starter

Quotes from Banks and Keron and some nice writing by MacIntyre:

"Those uniforms have to stay in the rotation," said defensive back Korey Banks, one of several players who signalled their approval of the futuristic black-on-black look.

"We looked like we're supposed to look and played accordingly," said lineman Keron Williams, who had a sneak preview.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Lions ... story.html

“These should be our new home uniform — I said it,” defensive back Korey Banks said. “They’re that good. I love ‘em. These pants feel like we have nothing on.”

Given the strange survival of the Lingerie Football League, maybe the world is ready for pantless Canadian Football League players. But please, for the love of Patrick Kabongo, let us not uncover the offensive linemen.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/foot ... z2cNFJipwf
rb
Champion

Interesting as a temporary alternate uni but they seem gimmicky to me and the numbers are so hard to see.

Re: black, I already lived the 1990's and early 2000's when it seemed like almost every pro sports team in North America was wearing black. No thanks to a repeat.

I wish they'd go back to the updated 2010 version of the early-mid 70's uni with the burnt orange home / white road jersey with black numerals, silver pants with the great striping and the black helmets for the full-time uniform. Loved those. I've never really cared for the orange and white look, especially the lighter orange of the past several years.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:Probably a trick to prevent the Stamps from keying on Andrew Harris and Emmanuel Arceneaux. Pretty difficult to double team a player if you don't know where they are on the field. :wink:
I thought the Lion's players looked awesome in those uni's, especially Harris, Arceneaux, Elimimian, and Lulay...I thought Lulay's high top black boots (a la Unitas) were great...too bad Travis didn't play like Johnny U.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

cromartie wrote: But frankly, if your primary kit is good enough, you shouldn't need a third to boost sales.
Most people will only buy what they don't already have. If they have a white or orange they aren't likely to buy another one until they wear them out. Offer them something different and they might buy it. Offer them the same of what they already have and they buy nothing.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I was at the game so I don't know if this is true. If so, I hope TSN posts this clip.

I, like everybody else at the stadium watched the Lions warm up in their Orange jersies, White pants setup. They then went off the field after warmups.

Apparently on the TSN broadcast, they showed the Lions walking into their dressing room and being just stunned seeing the new jersies/pants/helmets. SHOW THIS CLIP, PLEASE, TSN. I think it would be cool seeing the Lions surprise. I'll admit, I WAS STUNNED seeing them come out in a different uniform.
almo89
Legend

notahomer wrote:I was at the game so I don't know if this is true. If so, I hope TSN posts this clip.

I, like everybody else at the stadium watched the Lions warm up in their Orange jersies, White pants setup. They then went off the field after warmups.

Apparently on the TSN broadcast, they showed the Lions walking into their dressing room and being just stunned seeing the new jersies/pants/helmets. SHOW THIS CLIP, PLEASE, TSN. I think it would be cool seeing the Lions surprise. I'll admit, I WAS STUNNED seeing them come out in a different uniform.
I have that PVR'd. I can upload it to youtube tomorrow if I have time.
woody
Champion

MexicoLionFan wrote:I don't get any of the negative comments here...those uni's were the best I have ever seen...Marsh called them the "dopiest" uni's and I agree...I can't say what it was like in the stadium, but on TV they were amazing...I need another Lion's jersey like I need a hole in my head, but after last night's game, I will be ordering my custom Soloman Elimimian jersey...that's how great those uni's are...

Absolutely the best uni I have ever seen...
I want a soloman jersey too,when you have a bad ass jersey like that you need a mean #$@&%*! name on it.Would of bought it at the stadium but they were only printing Lulay and Harris.
MikeAK
All Star

cromartie wrote:I get it. I get that they aren't for me.

But frankly, if your primary kit is good enough, you shouldn't need a third to boost sales.
I don't know a single Lions fan, young or old, who likes the current home jersey. I have even talked to people referring to them as a woman's yoga outfit. The only time I see a lions jersey in town is on a game day downtown on the way to the stadium. Another poster has mentioned this as well, how he never sees a lions jersey around town unless it's a game day. Not sure how anyone can say the current kit is good enough when nobody wears them outside of the stadium. Regardless if you like them or not, and you've made it quite clear you don't, the verdict is in. The overwhelming majority of diehard fans and even casual's, who have taken to twitter and other social media, give nothing but praise for the new 3rd jerseys. The color and design is something that most people would happily wear on any given day even if it's a game day or not. There is no better advertisement then having your brand plastered all over town. I wouldn't be surprised if these 3rd jersey end up as regular home jerseys one day. I guarantee we will be seeing a lot more Lions jerseys around on non-game days now and that is flat out positive. I for one love the new design and have been waiting for something like this for years. I think they are leaps and bounds better then the current home jerseys.

But different strokes for different folks. Some guys like to piss and moan over every little thing and some loath change of any form. Usually these people are the old and cranky ones whom most people have learned to tune out anyway.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

I just watched part of the game again, and man I LOVE those uni's...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

cromartie wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:
I've always like the BC Lions as the best looking kit in the CFL since first watching football live in BC in 1955 and even in the zany days of team ownership the uniforms kept with with the the basic black and orange. As someone noted, I too would have liked the old 64 IIRC black uniforms as a retro kit.

It could be designed I guess for new fans and a new market segment but when callers to the radio said they love it but admit in the concourse the numbers are hard to read from outside close range you have to question that.
I get it. I get that they aren't for me.

But frankly, if your primary kit is good enough, you shouldn't need a third to boost sales.
"I already have the orange jersey of my favourite player but now that they have the new way cool gun metal/black jersey, I have to buy one of those too". It is called boosting logo wear sales and that is why they do third unis, retro unis.
JohnHenry
Champion

I love 'em and real fans don't need to read the numbers, they can easily identify the players by their flowing corn-rows! :cool:
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Probably a trick to prevent the Stamps from keying on Andrew Harris and Emmanuel Arceneaux. Pretty difficult to double team a player if you don't know where they are on the field. :wink:
I thought the Lion's players looked awesome in those uni's, especially Harris, Arceneaux, Elimimian, and Lulay...I thought Lulay's high top black boots (a la Unitas) were great...too bad Travis didn't play like Johnny U.
No, not enough Unitas...too much Marty Domres.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

JohnHenry wrote:I love 'em and real fans don't need to read the numbers, they can easily identify the players by their flowing corn-rows! :cool:
Yeah, joking aside, I used that trick a lot on Saturday to narrow the choices down to Elimimian and Parks. They both fly around making tackles. I figured if the player was going inside out it was Elimimian and if he was going outside in it was Parks. Most of the other players were just black-on-black blobs.

Many casual fans probably don't care who is making plays. I do. I watch individuals to see who rises up, and who is falling down on the job, who is matched up one-on-one. I saw a lineman (I think it was a lineman) make a great block as Harris caught the ball in the flat for his TD, but I don't know who it was. I watched Tim Brown's TD return and marvelled at the blocking. I had to watch the replay about six times before I figured out that Haidara threw the block that took out the final two Stamps at the 10-yard-line, just 30 yards away from me. I have no idea who threw other key blocks. I think Arakgi had a good game because TSN isolated on him on a couple of punt coverages. In the stadium, I couldn't tell who was making plays. That needs to be fixed.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Lions4ever wrote:No, not enough Unitas...too much Marty Domres.

Ugh. Now why did you have to remind me the Colts had their own version of Paul Brothers.
Domres' stats in 1974: Completed 77 of 153 with 0 TDs and 12 INTs.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
LadnerLion
Rookie

I literally bought our regular orange home jersey on the way to the game on Saturday. It was expensive. If the black ones become our standard uniforms I'll go crazy.