Simon traded to Riders

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

lion24
Legend

Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
The_Pauser
Legend

Terrible, terrible move. Obviously we need another 0-5 start before this team might learn again that going into the season without veteran receivers will lead to a disaster!

Simon and Bruce were not the problem last year. We should have kept at least one of them, but now it looks like we won't be keeping any. As a STH I'm not looking forward to watching guys like Nic Moore drop balls killing drives. Ugh.
Roar you Lions roar!
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Yep, it's now official. WOW!!
In exchange, the Riders have sent import receiver Justin Harper and a 3rd Round pick in the 2014 Canadian College Draft to the B.C. Lions.
http://www.riderville.com/article/rider ... eroy-simon
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/20 ... ers_trade/
Lions, Riders nearing deal to trade Simon

The B.C. Lions and Saskatchewan Roughriders have agreed on terms to trade Geroy Simon.

Arash Madani | January 24, 2013, 10:55 am

One of the greatest players in Canadian Football League history may be on the move.

The B.C. Lions have agreed on terms to trade Geroy Simon, perhaps the most prolific wide receiver the CFL has ever had, to the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

It does not appear as if the price is too steep for Simon's services.

Sources told Sportsnet.ca Thursday morning that negotiations between the Lions and Riders are all but complete. Saskatchewan would part with a mid-to-late draft pick and a player -- believed to be an import -- for Simon, should the deal get consummated.

The Roughriders would then likely negotiate a restructured contract for Simon, paying him around $150,000-$160,000 for the 2013 campaign.

With terms in place, it now appears the deal is contingent upon Lions general manager Wally Buono pulling the trigger on the trade. It is believed Buono was to "sleep on it," and make his decision on Thursday.

The Lions, Simon's home the past 12 seasons, are at a crossroads with the 37-year-old, believed to be owed around $205,000 in 2013. The organization has a number of young, promising receivers whom they believe can contribute at a salary cap hit that would be significantly more manageable. While it is believed B.C. would like to keep Simon in the mix -- reportedly as a role player, and thus, a sizable pay cut -- Buono, out of respect for the two-time Grey Cup champion, granted Simon (and his agent, Vancouver-based Dan Vertlieb) clearance to shop his services around the league.

Regina's Rod Pedersen, of CKRM Radio, first reported the news late Wednesday that the Lions and Roughriders were in trade talks regarding Simon, and they had "proceeded rapidly."

Simon, who holds the CFL's all-time receiving yardage record, appears to be part of a veteran exodus in B.C. The team released cornerback Byron Parker and receiver Arland Bruce last week.

Until last season, where a hamstring injury hobbled the veteran threat, Simon had recorded nine consecutive seasons of more than one thousand yards receiving.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

5-0 without them. Time marches on. Nothing personal. Geroy was making $205k. He'll make $165k with the Riders. There are SMS concerns and other areas of the team to address with that revenue.

That takes nothing away to their contributions to the team over the years. I love Geroy as a player and appreciate what he represents as a person. His jersey hangs proudly on my wall. But I get the move.

By the same token, it was important to Wally that this not turn out the way it did with Allen Pitts, and it didn't.

I wish him well, except when he plays the Lions.

Would have preferred a body on the offensive line in return, though. WR Justin Harper and a 2014 3rd appears to be what was garnered in return.
Big Time
Champion

So who becomes our go to WR? Shawn Gore may be NFL bound which means we could be pretty thin at receiver.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Riders Acquire Geroy SimonJanuary 24, 2013

Riderville.com

The Saskatchewan Roughriders announced today they have acquired import wide receiver Geroy Simon from the B.C. Lions.

Simon (6’0 – 198) is one of the most decorated players in Canadian Football League history. The 14 year veteran is currently the league’s all-time leading receiver recording 15,787 career receiving yards to date. The 37-year-old presently sits third in receptions with 989, just 29 catches away from the all-time record. His 100 receiving touchdowns also place him third among career leaders.

Last season, the six time CFL All-Star had 54 receptions for 700 yards and two touchdowns in 13 regular season games. He was on pace for his tenth consecutive 1,000 yard season before missing five games due to injury.

In exchange, the Riders have sent import receiver Justin Harper and a 3rd Round pick in the 2014 Canadian College Draft to the B.C. Lions.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Good for Geroy. Believes he still has a lot left in the tank and so does the Riders. Just didn't see it last year and there is no bigger fan of his. Can't believe they are going to throw a reported $165,000 at him.

Best of luck to a Lions icon. At least he leaves on good terms.
“My 12 seasons with the BC Lions have been the most incredible years of my professional life. I want to thank the entire BC Lions organization for giving me the opportunity to become a true professional," Simon said in the team release. "Most notably, I am extremely grateful to Mr. Braley, Wally Buono, Dennis Skulsky, Mike Benevides, as well as my teammates and coaches for all their years of support. The fans in BC have treated me as one of their own since I arrived here in 2001, and I'll never forget it. I'm looking forward to a new and exciting opportunity in Saskatchewan.”
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Big Time wrote:So who becomes our go to WR? Shawn Gore may be NFL bound which means we could be pretty thin at receiver.
I find Shawn Gore's NFL chances to be remarkably slim. I love him, don't get me wrong, but not as an NFL guy.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Justin Harper (American football)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No. 83 Saskatchewan Roughriders

Wide receiver

Personal information

Date of birth: February 24, 1985 (age 27)
Place of birth: Catawba, North Carolina

Height: 6 ft 3 in (1.91 m) Weight: 215 lb (98 kg)

Career information

College: Virginia Tech
NFL Draft: 2008 / Round: 7 / Pick: 215
Debuted in 2009 for the Baltimore Ravens

Career history

Baltimore Ravens (2008–2010)
Saskatchewan Roughriders (2012–present)

Career highlights and awards

Career NFL statistics

Stats at NFL.com

Justin Harper (born February 24, 1985 in Catawba, North Carolina) is an American professional Canadian football wide receiver who is currently a member of the Saskatchewan Roughriders of the CFL. He was drafted by the Baltimore Ravens in the seventh round of the 2008 NFL Draft. He played college football at Virginia Tech.

[edit] Early years

Harper played football at Bandys High School, where he led his team to the state championship game as a senior, playing both wide receiver and defensive back. He was recruited by Winthrop University to play basketball, but decided late in his senior season to try and become a Division I football player. After graduating, he attended Hargrave Military Academy. He then was recruited by Virginia Tech.

[edit] College career

Harper appeared in 51 games during his four-year career at Virginia Tech, finishing with 83 catches for 1,338 yards, a 16.1 per-catch average, and nine touchdowns. Harper's best game probably came in his final collegiate contest when he caught four passes for 64 yards (including a 20-yard touchdown), and scored on an 84-yard punt return in the 2008 Orange Bowl against the University of Kansas.

As a senior in 2007, Harper played wide receiver alongside Eddie Royal, now with the San Diego Chargers, and Josh Morgan, now with the Washington Redskins, and recorded career highs with 41 catches, 635 receiving yards and five touchdown receptions. Together, Harper, Royal and Morgan combined for 120 catches during their final season at Virginia Tech. As a junior in 2006, Harper finished fourth on the team in receptions with 21 catches for 324 yards and one touchdown. During his sophomore season, he posted 16 catches for 295 yards and one touchdown, which came in the Hokies' 35-24 Gator Bowl victory over Louisville. As a freshman in 2004, he caught five passes for 84 yards and a touchdown.

[edit] Professional career

[edit] NFL

Harper was drafted in the 7th round of the 2008 NFL Draft by the Baltimore Ravens . He would continue as a member of the Ravens for the next three seasons only receiving limited playing time during the preseason. Justin Harper was released prior to the start of the 2011 NFL season.

[edit] CFL

On March 13, 2012 the Saskatchewan Roughriders of the Canadian Football League announced that they had signed Harper to a contract.[1]
We didn't get much in return. Receiver who has some physical tools, and a third round pick.

It is kind of numbing. Geroy has been the face of the franchise. He really exploded in 2003, Wally's first year with the Lions.
The_Pauser
Legend

cromartie wrote:5-0 without them. Time marches on. Nothing personal. Geroy was making $205k. He'll make $165k with the Riders. There are SMS concerns and other areas of the team to address with that revenue.

That takes nothing away to their contributions to the team over the years. I love Geroy as a player and appreciate what he represents as a person. His jersey hangs proudly on my wall. But I get the move.

By the same token, it was important to Wally that this not turn out the way it did with Allen Pitts, and it didn't.

I wish him well, except when he plays the Lions.

Would have preferred a body on the offensive line in return, though. WR Justin Harper and a 2014 3rd appears to be what was garnered in return.
Everyone keeps saying "5-0 without them" or "Oh look how good our offense was without them" but no one ever stops to think why? We dominated the worst defense in the league (Hamilton), we dominated a very poor Edmonton team, we barely beat a Calgary team in a game that we should have run away with but let them hang around too long that we almost blew it, and we had no offense to speak of in the season finale against Saskatchewan.

This was a very STUPID move by this team that CLEARLY hasn't learned from past mistakes. Or maybe I guess they're just content with rebuilding? Maybe being on top for only two years (well one year as the year before was a late push from worst to first) and now we're ready to rebuild? Stupid stupid stupid! :bang:
Roar you Lions roar!
Rammer
Team Captain

If I had told you that Geroy was not going to be part of the Lions for 2013 after the news of him being allowed to shop his services, would you have expected anything in return? Count me in the corner of not a chance, so getting a draft selection and an NFL drafted receiver, is two more players than I thought possible. Add into that what the Lions could secure with the $205K in salary that has been removed from the SMS, I am even happier. Remember, Geroy tweaked his hamstring on an innocent play, a sure sign of aging, not a bargain at anywhere close to the $165K that the Riders ponied up.
Entertainment value = an all time low
The_Pauser
Legend

I'm absolutely gutted right now :(
Roar you Lions roar!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=414365
Geroy Simon in now a Roughrider.

The BC Lions announced Thursday the veteran receiver has been traded to Saskatchewan in exchange for import receiver Justin Harper and a 2014 third-round pick in the Canadian Draft.

“After many weeks of discussion with Geroy, we have reached a point where we believe it's in the best interest of both parties to move forward with a mutually agreed upon trade,” vice president of football operations and GM Wally Buono said in a team release.

“Geroy's accomplishments as a player are well documented and his work in our community has been outstanding. We salute and thank Geroy and wish him the very best.”

Simon's future in B.C. has been a huge question this off-season. Simon has spent 12 of his 14 CFL seasons with the Lions and last year surpassed Milt Stegall as the league leader in all-time receiving yards (15,787).

But hamstring injuries forced Simon to miss five games in 2012, limiting him to 54 catches for 700 yards and two TDs. It marked the first time in 10 seasons Simon hadn't cracked the 1,000-yard plateau.

The six-foot, 198-pound native of Johnstown, Pa., needs just 29 catches to break Ben Cahoon's CFL-record 1,017 career receptions.

“My 12 seasons with the BC Lions have been the most incredible years of my professional life. I want to thank the entire BC Lions organization for giving me the opportunity to become a true professional," Simon said in the team release. "Most notably, I am extremely grateful to Mr. Braley, Wally Buono, Dennis Skulsky, Mike Benevides, as well as my teammates and coaches for all their years of support. The fans in BC have treated me as one of their own since I arrived here in 2001, and I'll never forget it. I'm looking forward to a new and exciting opportunity in Saskatchewan.”

Simon leaves BC as the league's all-time leading receiver with 15,787 yards. The six-time CFL All-Star won two Grey Cups with the Lions.
“After many weeks of discussion with Geroy, we have reached a point where we believe it's in the best interest of both parties to move forward with a mutually agreed upon trade,” vice president of football operations and GM Wally Buono said in a team release.

“Geroy's accomplishments as a player are well documented and his work in our community has been outstanding. We salute and thank Geroy and wish him the very best.”

Leaving with class, just as one would expect. No bitterness expressed. It is too bad that he could not retire as a Lion. But he will be back. I expect his family to stay here. I expect him to retire here. I would not be surprised if he eventually is a coach with the Lions.

Meantime, best wishes, Geroy. An All Time Lion. Hall of Fame.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:
Everyone keeps saying "5-0 without them" or "Oh look how good our offense was without them" but no one ever stops to think why? We dominated the worst defense in the league (Hamilton), we dominated a very poor Edmonton team, we barely beat a Calgary team in a game that we should have run away with but let them hang around too long that we almost blew it, and we had no offense to speak of in the season finale against Saskatchewan.

This was a very STUPID move by this team that CLEARLY hasn't learned from past mistakes. Or maybe I guess they're just content with rebuilding? Maybe being on top for only two years (well one year as the year before was a late push from worst to first) and now we're ready to rebuild? Stupid stupid stupid! :bang:
Oldest team in the league. Tapped out against the SMS. 2/5ths of the offensive line is being held together on duct tape and bailing wire, with Angus trying to gut out another year at a reduced price. An aging linebacking corps and secondary. A QB you have to sign to a long term deal. Two top tier tackles you have to try and hold onto/retain. And you're paying a guy who was, at best, going to be a #3 WR next year almost 10% of your cap number.

I'm sorry, that's not sustainable. If you want to make the argument that they should have kept ABIII around, I can see that. But This is not the Geroy of 2009. At some point you have to deal with your own mortality and the age of the team and move forward, and it's better to do that, at worst, one year too early than one year too late. And let me state, I love Geroy. All time Lion. Love him. But I get where everyone is coming from.

This works out for everyone in the end. Geroy gets a salary and a spot on a depth chart on another team he believes is appropriate with his perception of his performance level. We get a ton of SMS room to improve the team in other areas. We get to utilize our depth, which you and I obviously disagree on, at the WR position. Geroy doesn't have to go out like Allen Pitts. Everyone wins.
Last edited by cromartie on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.