Dan Hawkins, Head Coach of the Alouettes ...

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Longest serving assistant coach in the CFL. A cultural fit for Montreal. Very capable. Might be a better Head Coach than Coordinator.

One would expect Jim Popp to have considered it, and to have an opinion already.

I would not like to see JC leave us. It would not be that easy to replace him.

I don't think a replacement is on the staff now. although Benny and Wally might consider Dan Dorazio, who IMO had a very good running game as OC a few years ago.

Popp knows what he is doing. It will be interesting to see his choice. I am glad that it seems that Popp himself is not leaving. That would be just too much for Montreal to overcome quickly, it seems to me.

http://www.cfl.ca/article/candidates-ap ... eplacement
Jacques Chapdelaine -- The B.C. Lions veteran offensive co-ordinator would fulfil two huge elements in Montreal. The 51-year-old native of Sherbrooke, Que., is not only bilingual but is also a respected offensive mind whose schemes could mesh with Als veteran starter Anthony Calvillo. A former CFL player, Chapdelaine has won both Vanier Cup and Grey Cup titles as a coach and has previous CFL coaching experience with Toronto, Calgary and Edmonton.

Like Jones, the expectation is B.C. wouldn't stop Chapdelaine from becoming a head coach.
Others mentioned as well ...
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Al's attendance dropped off last season and a GM and now former HC that do not live in Montreal in the off season= difficulty in off season promotion. Enter a new bilingual HC and Als will have taken the first step in rectifying the situation.

Is Paul LaPolice bilingual? He was an O guy wasn't he? He might make a good OC if the Lions have a need or a HC in Montreal.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:Al's attendance dropped off last season and a GM and now former HC that do not live in Montreal in the off season= difficulty in off season promotion. Enter a new bilingual HC and Als will have taken the first step in rectifying the situation.

Is Paul LaPolice bilingual? He was an O guy wasn't he? He might make a good OC if the Lions have a need or a HC in Montreal.
Don't know if Lapo is bilingual but I heard Popp evade that question on the MTL radio and all he'd say is that they will pick the best guy for their team and situation. He wasn't going there and did not use any of the statements on language or the Habs that was in the question in response. A clip for a media training expert to show.

DanoT hits on a sore point for me. I truly believe that for the sake of the CFL GMs and HCs should live in their communities. I was never down on ET in Edmtn until hearing he did not live there and was absent a lot! Mack and Popp are two absentee GMs from what I gather and that does not help build the fan or business support base. Even business want to rub shoulders with the football guys - not corporate or marketing types as that carries you only so far.

I don't think bilingual is a prime consideration for Popp as he is very astute and wants to keep a winning tradition and will hire accordingly. That will not be a factor in the consideration of JC for the job.

JC's only negative it seems is the time he was in Edmtn making Ricky Ray look rather ordinary. Granted it did not help that his HC was not doing the business but it was pretty evident that the Esks didn't like his bristling personality nor hand signals for play calling. If AC is the QB in Mtl, Popp would be concerned to find a HC who thinks like Trestman - protection from the OL and keep the QB safe. Lapo doesn't fit that mold either if you look at how they let their QB in Wpg get banged up so much.

Marshall is hard to judge as he got screwed. His failing it seemed to me was not to fix the Berry - Durant problem which led to both coaches being fired.

In future I wonder if AC will want to coach. He'd no doubt be a brilliant mind offensively from all we read of him from Trestman. Not the right time I don't think for him to be considered as HC.

Popp no doubt knows all these guys very well and I am sure MTL will pick a good HC.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
cromartie
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote: I would not like to see JC leave us. It would not be that easy to replace him.

I don't think a replacement is on the staff now. although Benny and Wally might consider Dan Dorazio, who IMO had a very good running game as OC a few years ago.

George Cortez. Veteran coach who could go back to doing what he does best.
Mikemike
All Star

I'll say the same thing I have been saying for the past 2 years: if I was a GM, Doug Nussmeier would be my first choice to fill any HC spot in the CFL. I'm not sure if he would ever come back, but his future in coaching is so bright he's gotta wear shades!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote: I would not like to see JC leave us. It would not be that easy to replace him.

George Cortez. Veteran coach who could go back to doing what he does best.
Good point, cro.
almo89
Legend

If JC does go, I'd like to see what Cortez can do with Lulay.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Mikemike wrote:I'll say the same thing I have been saying for the past 2 years: if I was a GM, Doug Nussmeier would be my first choice to fill any HC spot in the CFL. I'm not sure if he would ever come back, but his future in coaching is so bright he's gotta wear shades!
One more championship ring at Alabama and the NFL or NCAA will come calling. So we'll likely never see him.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

As per News1130, Jim Popp has requested permission to talk to Jacques Chapdelaine and Wally has granted it. Chapdelaine said it's "always flattering" when a team requests an interview.
News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports
Chapdelaine says the fit has to be right because he's very happy with his job with the Lions.
News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports
Chapdelaine says the "goal" is always there to be a head coach - that never changes for assistants.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Best of luck to Jacques. Has definitely paid his dues and Montreal would be a great fit. Has always worked well bringing along young QBs, something the Als certainly will need very soon.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

I about did a spit take when the Gazette article said Dan Hawkins was a dark horse candidate for that job. Does the writer that suggested that have any idea what a colossal failure that guy was at Colorado?
274always
All Star

His speaking french will not necessarily fill the stands. it's a deeper problem. football is simply not entrenched here as hockey is but it certainly wouldn't hurt.
Grey Cup 103. Graduation day.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Jacques is a gracious man, and a classy individual. He would represent the Alouettes very well.

Honestly, for selfish reasons, I would be happy if he stays here. I wish him well. He is a very worthy candidate.

If he did move on, as cromartie has suggested, George Cortez would certainly fill the bill at OC. And I expect there are other worthy candidates out there.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Mikemike wrote:I'll say the same thing I have been saying for the past 2 years: if I was a GM, Doug Nussmeier would be my first choice to fill any HC spot in the CFL. I'm not sure if he would ever come back, but his future in coaching is so bright he's gotta wear shades!
Nussmieir got his start in coaching here but he is not like a Kent Austin a full CFL sort of guy.

I read post taking apart Manti the hoax and the ND that DN gets $590,000 per year as OC where he is now.

That job was far above what Kent Austin was getting at Cornell.

JC deserves a shot I guess at a HC gig but he'd not be a good fit in the Als locker room after Mark Trestman.

Jones who has been in MTL would have to be the fav if it was one of them.

Dont know if Popp has any views on Marshall as he really was touted as the next great HC and didn't get a fair deal in Sask. Now he's tainted but no more than JC is for his year in Edmn.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
274always
All Star

I think Jacques will be the leading candidate. Als need an offensive coach. They already named Thorpe as their DC, what good would it do to have Jones too?
Grey Cup 103. Graduation day.