This defense needs a nickname....any suggestions?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

This is an amazing group on D - as good as any we've seen here in BC. I'll put last week's 4 TDs down as an aberration; a combination of fatigue and a good gameplan by the Als.

But they need a nickname! "Orange Crush" is obvious, but the Denver Broncos used it. Sometimes nicknames that are germane to a city/region work best, such a Pittsburgh's "Steel Curtain" defense.

We had the "Headhunters" defensive line in the 60's which stuck for awhile.

I like "The Executioners" because they seem to execute Stubler's gameplan to a "T" and the obvious violent connotation.

Or "12 Angry Men" - a reference to the famous play and 1957 film.

What are your suggestions?

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

From a marketing perspective, one thing I notice is ... All the names with K in them.

Keron

Khalif

Khreem

Korey

Parker

McKenzie

Reddick

Kauchy :wink: Cauchy

Offence has some ...

Kabongo

Akeem

Nick

Orange Khrush

Orange Krush

Killer Ks

Khrush ... One word

Krush ... One word

Just playing around with the K.

Yes the Broncos D used that name, but not spelled either of those two ways.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The Headhunters is the best name ever for the Lions defence IMO. Version 2.0
ik17
Rookie

Do you really want to follow in the footsteps of the bombers who's fan base and players are universally hated because of a catch phrase name for the defense that gets overused?
David
Team Captain

ik17 wrote:Do you really want to follow in the footsteps of the bombers who's fan base and players are universally hated because of a catch phrase name for the defense that gets overused?
That's only because "Swaggerville" was lame and they coined it themselves, not the fans and media.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

Funny you offer this up, I thought about the evolution of the name Jackson in BC Lion history and decided that Earnest Jackson may just need a nickname as well. I came up with the name Tracksion Jackson, hope that it sticks like Action Jackson did in our past.

As for the D, I am partial to "Krush" it just has so many fits with our D that it should be the nickname.
Entertainment value = an all time low
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Don't care for headhunters; it might have been okay in the 60s but too reminiscent of the Saints' bounty scandal these days for my liking.

I remember an article in The Province from 1998 on our defensive line of that era — let's see if I can remember them: Noah Cantor, Dave Chaytors, Johnny Scott, Herman Smith — with a photo of all four of them running together toward the camera, from the water up onto the beach shore. This story dubbed them the Shark Club after the sports bar chain, but it never really caught on. Perhaps we could revive it now?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

ik17 wrote:Do you really want to follow in the footsteps of the bombers who's fan base and players are universally hated because of a catch phrase name for the defense that gets overused?

I think there's been a bit of a current in the media that now these def. players have shut up they are playing well and winning - the Benevides view.

Also, I think that the Lions team is just that... a team and together with no break off units. I like that in a team.

Not sure Swaggerville was a good thing for the Bombers. Look at them now.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:Funny you offer this up, I thought about the evolution of the name Jackson in BC Lion history and decided that Earnest Jackson may just need a nickname as well. I came up with the name Tracksion Jackson, hope that it sticks like Action Jackson did in our past.

As for the D, I am partial to "Krush" it just has so many fits with our D that it should be the nickname.
His name is Ernest but if he proves to be the humble type then I suppose that could serve as his nickname :wink:
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Rammer
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:
Rammer wrote:Funny you offer this up, I thought about the evolution of the name Jackson in BC Lion history and decided that Earnest Jackson may just need a nickname as well. I came up with the name Tracksion Jackson, hope that it sticks like Action Jackson did in our past.

His name is Ernest but if he proves to be the humble type then I suppose that could serve as his nickname :wink:
:lol: I will take note hounestly. ;)
Entertainment value = an all time low
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

This is a smothering D so I'd call them the Smothers Brothers. You have to be be kinda old to know who the Smothers Brothers comedy team are but these guys are no joke.
Rodu
Champion

You can't force a nick name, and not everything needs a nickname. Just call the the defence
David
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:This is a smothering D so I'd call them the Smothers Brothers. You have to be be kinda old to know who the Smothers Brothers comedy team are but these guys are no joke.
That's hilarious! :good:

As you say, the reference is too old so I doubt it would stick, but it's creative nonetheless.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
joewillie63
Rookie

I dont think a nickname is necessary. The Lions are known around the league as the best "team" as in offense,special teams and defense. This was instilled in the Lions by "Waterboy" Ackles and Wally Buono .That game yesterday was a complete statement game won by all three facets of football and to assign a nickname to one facet is almost a disservice to other two.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

joewillie63 wrote:I dont think a nickname is necessary. The Lions are known around the league as the best "team" as in offense, special teams and defense. This was instilled in the Lions by "Waterboy" Ackles and Wally Buono. That game yesterday was a complete statement game won by all three facets of football and to assign a nickname to one facet is almost a disservice to other two.
You may have a point there but historically — and I think David was sort of coming at it from this POV — it's generally the defensive unit (or parts thereof) of a football team that tends to garner the creative nicknames:

Orange Crush (Broncos)
Steel Curtain (Steelers)
Capital Punishment (Ottawa)
Alberta Crude (Eskimos)

These were all applied to the defences of their repsective teams. Offhand I can't think of any team's offence that has ever had such a creative nickname. That's not to say they're not out there, but they lack the stickiness of the above four examples.