Eskimos 27 - Lions 14, Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Not impressed with Geroy tonight. Deflection on a catchable ball. TD the other way. Yes the pass was off, but he has to catch that one. It looked like Lulay threw it to that side to be away from the inside defender. Geroy deflects it right to the other defender. (I know people don't want to criticize Geroy, but he sets the pace for this team.) (On the next page of this thread, Mike Beamish wonders if Geroy's dislocated finger caused him to let that ball slip through his hands. Possible.)

Lulay hit and miss. Not sure it is his fault.

We were outcoached in terms of being ready to win, not so much Xs and Os. It is a tricky one. Could also be a Grey Cup hangover. O generated lots of yards. Passing and running. D prevented scores. STs just a huge headache. McCallum kind of sets the pace there, and that pace is awful. I gather Benny, Dorazio and Wally all tried to help the STs this week, and it is still dysfunctional.

Adam Bighill just cannot bring what Elimimian brought. Elimimian was a true monster in the middle. It might be too much to ask of Bighill. Run stopping, shedding blocks, finding the runner, destroying the runner.

McCallum needs to sit down for a game or two.

ST coverage still weak.

Nick Moore disappointing. I've always liked Nick's potential, but I have to say I think the confidence and focus he lacks may have kept him from the NFL. And it may be his eventual ticket out of town here.

Iannuzzi impressive to me.

Peguese ... STs are a f****** headache.

Ryan Phillips still playing a no hitter, grasping at air on Charles, not using his body to hit nor to wrap up, as does Cauchy Muamba at one point, grasping at air with his hands and arms.

Harris awesome.

Iannuzzi very confident. Fast. Good hands. Does Geroy still think Paris should be ahead of him on the depth chart? It is one thing if the opponent, or the media, or a fan criticizes (that can galvanize a player and team), but IMO if a player voices displeasure at a coaching situation or a playing time situation, that just does not do the team any good. IMO that was when 2007 started to unravel.

Lulay, and maybe the team too focused on Geroy. Not focused enough on Arland, Akeem. Lulay obviously found a comfort zone with Iannuzzi, and I have no problem with that. But we have to get Akeem more in the game, and Arland is a game breaker. Nick may be on the bubble again.

Not gonna fault Lulay too much. 28 of 38 for 360 yards. If Geroy catches that ball that hit him in the hands, we win the game, I would think.

Not time to panic. Teams are geared up to play us. But we are not getting it done. O still missing a bit. D OK but not great, bend but don't break. STs abysmal.

We lose to another Fail Safe team. As with the Riders, the Eskimos lose the statistical battle but win the game. Good defence. Just enough offence.

Bottom line: We shot ourselves in the foot again, and lose to a Fail Safe team.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
S. JYLES 10/16 150 0 0
K. JOSEPH 4/6 60 0 0

Receiving Rec YDS TD LG
F. STAMPS 4 24 0 7
H. CHARLES 3 61 0 33
S. CHAMBERS 3 39 0 26
D. COLLINS 2 64 0 39
N. COEHOORN 1 17 0 17
C. KOCH 1 5 0 5

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
H. CHARLES 20 118 1 21
S. JYLES 2 6 0 4
C. MCCARTY 2 1 0 2

Fumbles NO LST REC YDS

Field Goals FG LG XP PTS
G. SHAW 4/4 28 2/2 14

Punting NO AVG NET LG
B. DALES 4 41.0 151 50

Punt Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
J. BURNETT 3 30 10.0 14 0
C. KOCH 1 6 6.0 6 0

Kickoffs NO YDS LG SG
G. SHAW 4 267 70 0

Kick Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
J. BURNETT 3 89 29.7 43 0

Defence TKL SK INT FF
J. SHERRITT 6 0 0 0
T. HILL 6 0 0 0
D. MUNOZ 5 0 0 0
R. COLCLOUGH 5 0 0 0
J. BURNETT 3 0 2 0
R. PRUDE 3 0 0 0
D. ALEXANDER 3 0 0 0
L. ROBINSON 2 0 0 0
R. WILLIAMS 1 0 0 0
A. SEWELL 1 0 0 0
J. WILLIAMS 1 0 0 0
C. THOMPSON 0 0 0 1
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
T. LULAY 28/38 360 1 2

Receiving Rec YDS TD LG
A. HARRIS 11 120 0 29
M. IANNUZZI 6 77 1 28
N. MOORE 4 43 0 16
G. SIMON 2 39 0 23
A. BRUCE 2 29 0 20

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
A. HARRIS 9 65 1 26
T. LULAY 3 13 0 11
M. IANNUZZI 2 10 0 6
M. REILLY 2 3 0 2

Fumbles NO LST REC YDS
A. HARRIS 1 0 0 0

Field Goals FG LG XP PTS

Punting NO AVG NET LG
P. MCCALLUM 6 37.2 187 49

Punt Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
T. BROWN 2 13 6.5 7 0

Kickoffs NO YDS LG SG
P. MCCALLUM 3 182 62 0

Kick Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
T. BROWN 4 68 17.0 21 0

Defence TKL SK INT FF
A. MCKENZIE 7 0 0 0
A. BIGHILL 6 0 0 0
K. BANKS 4 0 0 0
C. MUAMBA 4 0 0 0
D. MARSH 3 0 0 0
E. TAYLOR 3 0 0 0
K. MITCHELL 3 0 0 0
K. SMITH 2 1 0 0
K. WILLIAMS 2 1 0 0
L. SHELL 2 0 0 0
R. PHILLIPS 1 0 0 0
B. PEGUESE 1 0 0 0
A. HARRIS 1 0 0 0
J. YURICHUK 1 0 0 0
BCfanInDIXIE
Starter

WTF is going on here?!
Founder of the Bama BC Fan Club :towel:
MikeAK
All Star

This game killed my beer buzz. Shame on the Leos. Still a fan though
BCfanInDIXIE
Starter

Oh yeah, I'm Orange and Black till I die...that's just how I roll. When I choose a team it is till' death. I would prefer my boys to be winning, but I'm not gonna give up on BC no matter how lousy we get. I've lived through the down years, but I thought this team had the talent to build a dynasty. I am dissapointed right now.
Founder of the Bama BC Fan Club :towel:
Larry Key
Hall of Famer

We looked flat tonight. No energy, prob. thinking it was going to be a cake walk. Was really disappointed with Lulay's play. We missed the speed merchant at WR as the EE played us tight all game.
swervynmerv
Legend

Well, it could be worse, we could be 0-4 as we were at this time last year, but I agree with WCJ, this is a game and a team we should easily beat.

Positives:

Iannuzzi and Harris

Negatives:

1. Lulay. This is year #3, mistakes like that can't happen at the opposition 5 yard line with the game on the line. I don't know if it's timing, the O-Line having injuries or what, but he doesn't look the same guy that went 11-2 down the stretch.

2. Defence. Still giving up easy yards when we need a stop. Our secondary is veteran, but have the all aged at the same time. Time turns quickly in football.

3. McCallum. He's had a great career, but has age caught him too? In the CFL if you are afraid to try a 45 yard kick because you may miss, you may lose alot of games!

4. Recievers. Where are Geroy and ABIII? Is it due to Lulay being off or has age caught them too? Where is Akeem Foster?

5. Coaching. Special teams are atrociuos. Why have we started so slow the past number of years. It seems we are never ready to hit the season running. We almost blew the game to both Winnipeg and Hamilton so we could be 0-4.

Just my two cents anyways.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The WEST is very strong this season. Every game will be a battle vs the WEST teams and in time those EAST teams will be even tougher (Ham/Tor) and maybe even the Bombers.

Esks def last season gave up 98 points in 4 games. This year 56. Major difference. Even with injury they were good. Lots of players --66 due to how they managed the SMS this year and dumping a lot of bigger contracts for cheaper and more players.

Lulay made that bad decision to try to hit Geroy who was not in the end zone which made no sense at all. INT goes for TD. But if for that HUGE reversal of fortunes and the Lions getting a TD it would have been game on to the end instead of allowing the Esks to gain a lot of momo and confidence.

The Esks came to play and possibly the Lions might have taken them a wee bit lightly. That ESKs D is looking even better than under Stubler last year and they were pretty good then.

Running. I'd love to the Lions running more OUTSIDE the box. Esks certainly did that.

Bruce and Simon - on TV can't seem to get open due to cover.

Maybe the Lions need to give a few series to their back up. But not time to bench Lulay. He is not the only player.

It is looking that all teams in the CFL have some very good talent and some new very good coaches. This means no team is going to end up 16 and 2. Fights to the finish will be the norm in games and for the standings. There seem to be no gimmes other than the injury plagued Bombers.
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
cromartie
Hall of Famer

I'm a pretty patient guy.

But my patience with Special Teams is wearing extremely thin. The difference in starting field position between the two teams in this game tells you all you need to know about who won that battle. It reached the point where we were taking the ball at the 35 after field goals because it was our best option. We did not start in plus territory (beyond the 35, which is my expectation for kickoffs) once the entire game. Edmonton only started inside their 35 once the entire game on kickoffs. Special Teams were embarrassing tonight. Brown is an adequate kick returner, so he's not really the problem, but he's an adequate return in a league filled with very good ones, and that isn't going to cut it.

Beyond the poor kick and punt return coverage were the penalties on ST, the last of which cost the offense the chance to dig itself out of it's own hole.

The defense played well, again surrendering only one touchdown. However they aren't generating any turnovers to speak of and that is problematic, because we aren't getting any breaks on field position from our Special Teams. Teams have adjusted to our personnel strengths, but the defense bends but doesn't break pretty consistently. There are liabilities in that (in particular when our MLBs are asked to play man in pass coverage), but they have proven to be livable.

I can't pinpoint what's wrong with the execution of our offense. I like the play calling. I think the schemes, adjustments and play calling is even better than last year. It seems to be productive statistically. But Travis is making some terrible decisions with the ball. Both INTs were avoidable bad decisions. Ianuzzi and Moore both dropped catchable balls that killed drives, Geroy missed a block on a designed QB draw that killed a drive and the deep shots down the field still aren't there. Nothing deep is working.

So this is the pattern. The defense holds up well, the Special Teams craps the bed consistently and the offense makes mental mistakes when it counts.

I would expect Mitchell to get a fine, and deservedly so for the elbow dislocation.

I'm also pretty sure that if Wally were still HC, JR LaRose would be unemployed next week. I'm not wishing for that, mind you but someone on ST would be made an example of for this abomination of a performance.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Not impressed with Geroy tonight or even this season. Deflection on a catchable ball. TD the other way. Yes the pass was off, but he has to catch that one. It looked like Lulay threw it to that side to be away from the inside defender. Geroy deflects it right to the other defender. (I know people don't want to criticize Geroy, but he sets the pace for this team.)
In my opinion, that pass is not on Geroy. Watch the replay. Geroy is bracket covered, with the halfback closing on the ball Ianuzzi runs the crossing route and, as he passes through Travis' peripheral vision, is wide open. But Travis never sees him, because he is full on bird dogging Geroy.

And because he's bird dogging Geroy, the halfback, whose responsibility is Ianuzzi, abandons Ianuzzi to break on the ball. Travis never looked away from Geroy.

Geroy isn't purrfect, but that play is not on him. It's on Travis and what Travis doesn't do with his head. And that's not the type of play one expects from a guy with 25 starts under his belt, you know?
The_Pauser
Legend

Geroy Simon was fine tonight. No complaints there other than he was ignored most of the night. He was thrown to 4 times...once was a pass interference, another was picked, and he had 2 catches. You HAVE to give your star receiver more looks. Bruce was another ignored receiver. As was Foster.

Sure Iannuzzi had some nice plays, but we threw to him way way way too many times. Same with Moore except he was terrible. Geroy's comments about a lack of Paris Jackson were warranted. How a guy like Moore gets in and gets a ton of balls thrown to him, while a proven quality receiver like Jackson is riding the bench is just stupid.

Defense was OK. Pass pressure wasn't great, and the DB's allowed some big plays but only surrendered one touchdown.

Special teams is a disaster. Time to see what Hugh O'Neil has, and the entire coverage team needs a shakeup.
Roar you Lions roar!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:Not impressed with Geroy tonight or even this season. Deflection on a catchable ball. TD the other way. Yes the pass was off, but he has to catch that one. It looked like Lulay threw it to that side to be away from the inside defender. Geroy deflects it right to the other defender. (I know people don't want to criticize Geroy, but he sets the pace for this team.)
In my opinion, that pass is not on Geroy. Watch the replay. Geroy is bracket covered, with the halfback closing on the ball Ianuzzi runs the crossing route and, as he passes through Travis' peripheral vision, is wide open. But Travis never sees him, because he is full on bird dogging Geroy.

And because he's bird dogging Geroy, the halfback, whose responsibility is Ianuzzi, abandons Ianuzzi to break on the ball. Travis never looked away from Geroy.

Geroy isn't purrfect, but that play is not on him. It's on Travis and what Travis doesn't do with his head. And that's not the type of play one expects from a guy with 25 starts under his belt, you know?
I know what you are saying. And I watched the replay a few times. Receivers do practice quick reactions to a ball that surprises them by being in a different place. The ball did hit Geroy in his hands on his right side. It was not in the middle. And I am not saying it was easy. But it was a game breaker. It was not a Hall of Fame play by a Hall of Fame player. And I agree that Travis is too focused on Geroy, and not enough on his other weapons. I will stop criticizing Geroy here, as I am a big fan of his, but as you say he ain't purfect.
JohnHenry
Champion

Close but no cigar. I was surprised they didn't put Reilly in for the second half. I think Travis needs to watch the game from the sidelines for awhile to regain his bearings. Can't say I'm a big fan of the defence this year. They can't seem to stop anybody when they need to.
CardiacKid
Legend

Was in attendence and I have to say the most disappointing thing about tonight's game was the crowd. What is going on when not even 30,000 will show up for a Lions-Eskies tilt? And the energy was zilch; apathetic at best. Growing up watching the Lions, you brought your "animosity" out in full force when it came to the Eskies.

I gotta believe the guys will get back to winning ways; there is just too much talent on this club.