Game Day Thread, Eskimos @ Lions, July 20, 2012

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Guess Tillman can sleep tonight
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

not the best game and yes lulay made a bad toss. momentum shift . The West is very strong this year. it will be tight. This team is not done yet and i see a fight to the finish with all west teams very good.

EEdef gave up 98 pts to here last year... 56 this year.
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
swervynmerv
Legend

Lion Guy wrote:f*****g joke
Yuuuupppppp!
MikeAK
All Star

Totally bummed out about this game. So much for Wally's opinion that a closed roof gives us an advantage.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

MikeAK wrote:Totally bummed out about this game. So much for Wally's opinion that a closed roof gives us an advantage.
I doubt the roof made a difference. It is just more noise for the opponent on O.

This ESKs D is better than last year and their off. did enough to win.. .Charles and Harris had great games for their teams... but failing to score on the drive leading to the ESK TD on the INT ended all hope.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
BCfanInDIXIE
Starter

this is getting old already, why can't we get it in the endzone?! give me the Leos of 2011, not 2009 please.
Founder of the Bama BC Fan Club :towel:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Guess Tillman can sleep tonight
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Attendance 28,335
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Guess Tillman can sleep tonight
Yes, if the Eskimos keep winning he will be safe enough in Edmonton. And it looks as if the team has an excellent defence, and a Fail Safe offence.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Yes, if the Eskimos keep winning he will be safe enough in Edmonton. And it looks as if the team has an excellent defence, and a Fail Safe offence.
Language can be so interesting, IMO. Where does a term like FAIL-SAFE get root? If everything fails we are still safe? We fair because we are safe?

Not arguing with your descrption, WCJ. It's the term I would (do) use to describe the Edm/Sask offences, IMO.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Language can be so interesting, IMO. Where does a term like FAIL-SAFE get root? If everything fails we are still safe? We fair because we are safe?

Not arguing with your descrption, WCJ. It's the term I would (do) use to describe the Edm/Sask offences, IMO.
I don't recall hearing it used to describe a football offence before this, Nota. It came to mind for me from the 1960s. A movie, a book, but more importantly, it described the nuclear stand off. You didn't want the red button pushed by mistake. That seems to describe the offence of the Riders, and, to a lesser extent, the Eskimos. Make no mistakes. No interceptions. No fumbles. Play it tight. Count on your defence. Win the turnover battle. Not the way to win the championship, IMO, but a good way to steal a few wins in the regular season.

Parcells liked that kind of offence with Jeff Hostetler at QB. They won a Super Bowl with it. No high risk plays. Double tight ends. Pass protection maximum. Running game. Big backs. Few passes. Et cetera. Seems like Fail Safe to me. To me it is an overly conservative approach, the opposite of a bombs away, high risk, go for it approach.

In the nuclear stand off the idea was backup systems. Double check. Minimize damage. Anticipate. Full attention to being careful. Fail Safe = Safety from failure = Avoid failure.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Ralph Sazio, defensive genius of the late 1950s and 1960's TiCats, took Fail-Safe O one step further. Not only did he put most of his best players on D, he kept the O under wraps so to speak. He didn't want the TiCats opponents to get too much film on his O so they would often score with the D and do just enough on O to win. Then come playoffs they would unveil some new plays on O that they had not used all season. The strategy worked well enough to produce lots of GC appearances.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:Rajon Henley has been made the scapegoat for the missed field goal return that decided last week's game. He'll sit in favour of fellow DE Brandon Peguese, who is considered a better special teamer.
Whoopsie.