CFL 2012 Wins/Losses, Rankings and Opinions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:I don't know if this latest rankings are yours, WCJ but they look about right, IMO.
Yes those are mine, nota.

After 8 games.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
notahomer wrote:I don't know if this latest rankings are yours, WCJ but they look about right, IMO.
Yes those are mine, nota.

After 8 games.
Well, they STILL look right after 9 games, IMO. The Labour Day Games were too close to cause much shifting in the rankings. The only team that won big was in seventh and beat the team in eighth. Be interesting to see if the rematches impact things much. For e.g. maybe, maybe if the Riders STOMP on the BB's again, and the Ticats lose..... ah fuggedaboutit, too many woulds, coulds and maybes. Will make for interesting debate after the next slate of games.....
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Well, WCJ, no doubt the Labour Day games have affected those rankings. Looking forward to hearing how you'd rate the teams in the league.....

Here's mine, although they are based on the what have you done for me lately logic:

1. BC sure they stumbled in Mont Royal but the shoe was on the other foot a week later. Yoda Cavillo seemed rather blase......
2. Montreal beat BC at home and although they lost in the rematch, still think they are the best team outside of BC
3. Toronto won both their labourdays and have an upcoming game with Lions, guess we'll see if Toronto is improving or was it the Ticats...
4. Calgary again had good news once the final gun ended both their recent games, they just as easily could have lost both games but they didn't...
5. Edm lost both but Joeseph has been doing enough to get them wins. Not awesome but enough to win. Defence looks good
6. Riders- a pre-banjo blowout didn't earn them #6 but the Ticats are NOT better than the Riders. The Banjo Bowl will just be another W for the Greenies...
7. Ticats Cortez forgot to burn his boats. What his crew is thinking, I'm not sure. Without Williams where would they be??????
8. Bombers- Is Mack still running gassers or still full of hot air? Elliott looked okay against BC but offence still sucks in Bomberland....
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:Well, WCJ, no doubt the Labour Day games have affected those rankings. Looking forward to hearing how you'd rate the teams in the league.....

Here's mine, although they are based on the what have you done for me lately logic:

1. BC sure they stumbled in Mont Royal but the shoe was on the other foot a week later. Yoda Cavillo seemed rather blase......
2. Montreal beat BC at home and although they lost in the rematch, still think they are the best team outside of BC
3. Toronto won both their labourdays and have an upcoming game with Lions, guess we'll see if Toronto is improving or was it the Ticats...
4. Calgary again had good news once the final gun ended both their recent games, they just as easily could have lost both games but they didn't...
5. Edm lost both but Joeseph has been doing enough to get them wins. Not awesome but enough to win. Defence looks good
6. Riders- a pre-banjo blowout didn't earn them #6 but the Ticats are NOT better than the Riders. The Banjo Bowl will just be another W for the Greenies...
7. Ticats Cortez forgot to burn his boats. What his crew is thinking, I'm not sure. Without Williams where would they be??????
8. Bombers- Is Mack still running gassers or still full of hot air? Elliott looked okay against BC but offence still sucks in Bomberland....
Those look pretty good, nota.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Looks pretty tight at the top to me ...

1 BC ... As good as your last game? Yup ... Starting to hit on all cylinders. Facing teams' A games week after week.

2 Montreal ... Back in their familiar spot at the top of the East, but not by much.

3 Calgary ... 4 wins in a row. Pretty much back where they were expected to be in preseason rankings.

4 Toronto ... I have to say that Scott Milanovich looks very capable as a new Head Coach. IMO it helps having Hall of Fame QB Ricky Ray behind centre.

5 Saskatchewan ... Who knows about this group? Durant? Dilly or Willy?

6 Edmonton ... Showing some cracks. Injuries on defence. Quarterback instability. Used three pivots last game, and Nicholls took a knock out hit. Kicker instability.

7 Hamilton ... Showing some signs of life. I am glad that it seems the team has not given up on George Cortez. His approach seems far from fiery, but just may be good in the long run.

8 Winnipeg ... OMG. Would anybody like to be Head Coach in the Peg? How about GM? How about QB? Good luck, Buck.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Looks pretty tight at the top to me ...

1 BC ... As good as your last game? Yup ... Starting to hit on all cylinders. Facing teams' A games week after week.

2 Montreal ... Back in their familiar spot at the top of the East, but not by much.

3 Calgary ... 4 wins in a row. Pretty much back where they were expected to be in preseason rankings.

4 Toronto ... I have to say that Scott Milanovich looks very capable as a new Head Coach. IMO it helps having Hall of Fame QB Ricky Ray behind centre.

5 Saskatchewan ... Who knows about this group? Durant? Dilly or Willy?

6 Edmonton ... Showing some cracks. Injuries on defence. Quarterback instability. Used three pivots last game, and Nicholls took a knock out hit. Kicker instability.

7 Hamilton ... Showing some signs of life. I am glad that it seems the team has not given up on George Cortez. His approach seems far from fiery, but just may be good in the long run.

8 Winnipeg ... OMG. Would anybody like to be Head Coach in the Peg? How about GM? How about QB? Good luck, Buck.
WCJ, those look about right, IMO. Mike Beamish did have the Ticats rated last prior to last weeks games, I think they'll be moving up even on his rankings. There was no way they deserved to be ranked below the Bombers, IMO. Then again, I think I thought the Esks were better than they showed last week. This week will be a good one for the divisions, IMO. The low two in the east battling. The top two east; playing. And the teams in the west getting opportunties to seperate (Calgary/BC) or fluctuate. I think the Esks and Riders will put out good games in their attempts to chase down teams above them. Guess we'll see.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I'd flip Calgary and Montreal at No. 2 and 3. Calgary has won four in a row and the trio of Glenn, Lewis and Cornish are on top of their games. Defensively, Calgary is better team than Montreal.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

As the season moves on, it seems to me the win/loss records more closely reflect the relative strengths of the teams. Lucky breaks, bad calls, et cetera tend to even out. Good teams find ways to win. Bad teams find ways to lose.

1 BC ... Finding ways to win. Facing jacked up teams bringing their A games week after week. Kind of squeaking through. Not really looking like they have their A game, especially at game starts, while it is certainly there after opponents have gotten their attention, and on into the 4th quarter. As difficult as the games can be to watch, they are certainly riveting, exciting and intense.

2 Montreal ... I had the feeling that Trestman and Calvillo would get these guys back up on top in the East.

3 Calgary ... Kind of weird how they win some games, and how they lose some games. I would say they have lots of talent. And top coaching. The margin between winning and losing can be very small. Where did Jon Cornish get that attitude? Wow. How dare anybody stop him? LOL He is not helping his team, or even endearing himself to teammates with his prima donna antics.

4 Saskatchewan ... Back from the grave. Go figure. Willis is another guy who seems to have impulse control issues.

5 Toronto ... Is a top quarterback a difference maker on a team? Is the CFL a quarterback driven league? Well IMO the answer is yes. Without Ray, the Argos slip down the list.

6 Edmonton ... Finding ways to lose. Played a ferocious game vs the Lions. Jyles showed why so many teams have given him chance after chance, and he also showed why so many teams have given up on him. All in one game.

7 Hamilton ... I am surprised to see them kind of backsliding, after showing so much progress under O'Billovich's leadership as GM.

8 Winnipeg ... Glad to see Buck back at the helm. Glad to see the team not just falling off a cliff.
dfootball
Rookie

Lions have to carefull with Sask, they play like they did against Edmonton, they will lose. Sask 4-2 at home great record.
JohnHenry
Champion

The way the Lions offence seems to "play" with the opposition, like a house-cat with a dead mouse, then turning into ferocious killers for the final game-winning drives...it seems the offence need their backs up against the wall before they turn it on. I think Lulay could be producing much more if he bore down, rather than seemingly pacing themselves, playing it safe and "saving" Harris for crunch time. Maybe last season's heroics, with basically 13 must-win games in-a-row, numbed them to the pressure and this season seems a cake-walk in comparison?

It's probably smart football, why stick your neck out on offence with high-risk/high-reward plays when the defence can win the game all by themselves...as long as the offence doesn't turn the ball over and can score 20 pts. :cool:

So with the basically under-performing Lions offence, my Power Ranking out of 10:

1. Lions = 8.9
2. Als = 7.6
3. Stamps = 7.2
4. Riders = 6.8
5. Argos = 6.6
6. Esks = 6.4
7. Bombers = 5.2
8. Ticats = 4.8
9. Rivermen = 0.0

:popcorn:
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Doesn`t hurt to keep the O under wraps as it gives less film for the opposition to study.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I know one week does not a season make but........

IMO, Montreal and BC are the front runners to play in the 100th at this point. Of course, getting into and moving along in the playoffs is all that it takes for many teams to get together enough to be successful.

The Argos season maybe just about done depending on how injured Ray is/was. Was getting rid of Boyd still the thing to do, looking back? Guessing so but....
Does O'bie survive the offseason? How many the Ticats are back, no they are not games/seasons can continue. Big changes coming, maybe in managment too...
Obviously the Bombers are making changes cuz this season has been ugly. Got new digs to move into, lets wipe the slate clean next season.....

I still haven't got a clue how the West is gonna play out. I obviously think/hope BC will do well but the other three? This is not usual Western Divison football, IMO. Lots of games still to go, any of them could pull it out. Based on the last three weeks, I'm guessing Stamps/Riders and Esks in the basement.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:The way the Lions offence seems to "play" with the opposition, like a house-cat with a dead mouse, then turning into ferocious killers for the final game-winning drives...it seems the offence need their backs up against the wall before they turn it on. I think Lulay could be producing much more if he bore down, rather than seemingly pacing themselves, playing it safe and "saving" Harris for crunch time.
They're playing with fire. Football is game of momentum. You can't turn it on and off when you feel like it
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Some opinions, lightly considered ...

1 B.C. Almost by default. We lose, but so does Montreal. We have weaknesses exposed. We are not a juggernaut. Pass defence. Pass rush. 6 man D Line mothballed? Pass protection. Lulay panicking under the onslaught? But hey, we are still in first place with as good as chance as any to win it all.

2 Montreal. Almost by default. Defensive vulnerability? Calvillo showing some signs of ... what? Mostly signs of facing tough defences, it seems to me.

3 Calgary. Good Cornish. Bad Cornish. Bad moon rising last game. Pretty good team though.

4 Saskatchewan. Knocked off number one. Durant plays the game of his life. Motivated team. Can they do that on a regular basis? I doubt it. Just for the Lions. :wink: Oh yeah, and that little guy, Dressler, is terrific.

5 Toronto. Way to go, Jarious. Can they sneak past Montreal into the Grey Cup? Dunno ...

6 Hamilton. If Burris plays like that, they can compete for first in the East. If not, they can compete for the cellar.

7 Edmonton. Seems like some chaos in the management department. QB chaos. Running back uncertainty. Kicker uncertainty. OC uncertainty. Other than that, all is ... well not quite fine.

8 Winnipeg. Hey, they do well when Buck is in there. Ooops, Buck is hurt again.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Are the Riders playing nervous? Many games this year have been close ones. BC/Riders have both been in close games. But the Riders have had big leads that were frittered away. This latest Lions game was another example of that, it just ended well for the Riders. I'd be happy to see the Riders/Lions play in the Western Final but I doubt they'll be in the game.....(LIons will be of course... :cr: )