Bountygate or sour grapes?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

Blue In BC wrote:
Rammer wrote:Horsecollars end seasons for players, however in both cases the HC isn't what I would consider of that variety. I am not completely sure why the league went from full tolerance to this version of zero tolerance, at minimum there should be a difference in penalization for the two infractions.
They have that type of rule in effect for facemask penalties with two levels of penalties. So if a ref can make a judgement on a facemask then I agree why not on the level of HC penalty?

Again. I don't disagree that within the current rule it was a penalty. However, even re-watching the play on PVR, I was still not sure whether the Bomber grabbed the top of the shoulder pad, the top of the jersey or just below the neckline of the jersey.

When I saw it live, I thought it would get flagged for HC.
:thup: IMO, the horsecollar penalty is one that changed dramatically. I watch older games (CFL and NFL). Sure penalties (that perhaps would have even warranted expulsion) now often didn't even draw a flag back then. IMO, both leagues (and unfortunately I feel the CFL follows the NFL's lead a lot) have altered their rules with the intended purpose of protecting player safety.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

ziggy wrote:How did Davis Sanchez get dragged into this, I thought he retired after playing for Montreal, Calgary, Edmonton and finally BC? His reputation can't have been that bad given the teams that signed him? I always thought he was a hard hitter who played with an edge, but I would never go so far as to suggest he was dirty.
Because there was a strong suggestion that the Bombers were a dirty team. My point was that it was the Lions that had guys like Murphy, Jimenez and Sanchez playing for them at one point.

Can you name a player that played for the Bombers in the past 5 years that had the sort of reputation that those 3 carrried.

Anyway, I have no issue with penalties being created or modified to protect the players. I don't condone anything by any team that is any way dirty or an intent to injure a player.

Anybody want to comment on why Emery didn't get tossed with he hit Tate after the bad snap. A RP was obvious but that would have seemed to be an ejection type situation hitting a QB that made no effort to get up.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I'd like to see the league give Emery a one game suspension as he should have been tossed from the game for the hit on Tate imo. Trestman proved again that his head is in the right place as he benched Emery for several plays.
ziggy
Legend

First off I wasn't suggesting or agreeing that the Bombers were a dirty team I want to be clear on that. What I took exception to was an attempt to deflect criticism of your team by bringing up a retired players rep to suggest the Lions and specifically Davis Sanchez played dirty. Even if that was true and I don't believe it is, what the heck does that have to do with whether or not the Bombers were dirty last year or last game? I also pointed out if having Sanchez on your roster somehow made you a dirty team, he played for three other teams so I'd guess from your perspective Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal and BC are all dirty, pretty much takes care of half the league? Then of course you add in Murphy and Jiminez so now we have also taken care of Toronto and Hamilton, now we are up to three quarters of the league, in fact only the Riders and your Bombers are left as teams these "dirty players" never played for.

As for naming a Bomber with a reputation for anything other than trash talking, well you got me there :2cents:
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Anybody still got video on this play?

Here’s what else is happening …
• Linebacker and special teamer Rene Stephan is likely done for the year after suffering a knee injury in Friday’s game. Head coach Paul LaPolice hinted that it was a dirty play. The Bombers sent in that clip, along with a few others, to the CFL head office.