Lions Doughnuts

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Bosco
Team Captain

$76 for 2 end zone seats in the 7/11 section is no bargain deal. :dizzy: As many have said in these marketing threads, the Lions are are quickly turning off the casual fan and run the risk of gouging the diehards / season ticket holders.

My seats on the 20 yard line have not changed, but the prices have certainly increased.

2006 $21.40 per game
2007 $22.50 per game
2008 $27.50 per game
2009 $30.88 per game
2010 $33.60 per game
2011 $42.32 per game
2012 $48.73 per game

Looking at the above upwards price scale, it should be no surprise that people are looking at other ways to spend their entertainment dollars.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Bosco wrote:$76 for 2 end zone seats in the 7/11 section is no bargain deal. :dizzy: As many have said in these marketing threads, the Lions are are quickly turning off the casual fan and run the risk of gouging the diehards / season ticket holders.

My seats on the 20 yard line have not changed, but the prices have certainly increased.

2006 $21.40 per game
2007 $22.50 per game
2008 $27.50 per game
2009 $30.88 per game
2010 $33.60 per game
2011 $42.32 per game
2012 $48.73 per game

Looking at the above upwards price scale, it should be no surprise that people are looking at other ways to spend their entertainment dollars.
Those are hefty increases, and they look even worse when compared to the inflation of other goods and services over the same period. You can compare the annual increases to the CPI numbers I posted here a few weeks ago that specifically measure the entertainment sector. The percentage increase for Lions tickets, and the corresponding CPI number each year for both entertainment specifically, and the entire BC economy in general, are as follows:

2012: 15.1%, NA, NA
2011: 26.0%, 7.0%, 2.4%
2010: 8.8%, 6.4%, 1.3%
2009: 12.3%, 5.7%, 0.0%
2008: 22.2%, 6.1%. 2.1%
2007: 5.1%, 4.5%, 1.8%

While it's true that the pricing for all types of events (e.g., Canucks, concerts, movies, etc.) is clearly outpacing overall inflation, the Lions are putting even those high numbers right to shame.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

OK I finally got a message from Chris Wakefield who is the Regional Marketing manager for Tim Hortons. I'll likely give him a call tomorrow, because I wanted to get some feedback from Island/Interior fans. I basically want to ask him why they haven't offered the donuts outside the Lower mainland. Anyone have anything else I should bring up or have any suggestions on how they should approach it? Thanks!
Real women wear orange!!
Rammer
Team Captain

CatsEyes wrote:OK I finally got a message from Chris Wakefield who is the Regional Marketing manager for Tim Hortons. I'll likely give him a call tomorrow, because I wanted to get some feedback from Island/Interior fans. I basically want to ask him why they haven't offered the donuts outside the Lower mainland. Anyone have anything else I should bring up or have any suggestions on how they should approach it? Thanks!
Get you to move to the GVRD?

Oh don't get your blood boiling, just kidding, well sort of. :wink:
Entertainment value = an all time low
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I just drove from Victoria to Kamloops and stopped at the Timmie's in Merrit. The drive thru line up was out to the street and the in store line up was out the door. I don't think they need to do anything to stimulate sales.

As I stated a few posts ago: Lions donuts should be made available for purchase at Lions games.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

CatsEyes wrote:OK I finally got a message from Chris Wakefield who is the Regional Marketing manager for Tim Hortons. I'll likely give him a call tomorrow, because I wanted to get some feedback from Island/Interior fans. I basically want to ask him why they haven't offered the donuts outside the Lower mainland. Anyone have anything else I should bring up or have any suggestions on how they should approach it? Thanks!
Get them to dye the Boston Cream filling orange!!! :cool: Just kidding. I think the donuts are fine as is. I am surprised at how many Downtown Vancouver Tim Hortons don't bother to carry the donut. I certainly don't think that is an excuse for the Tim's in your area to not carry it.

BTW, Cats Eyes, do the Tim Hortons in your area offer the Lions gift cards? I picked up one last week (for myself :dizzy:) . Just load it with cash and the card has picture of a helmet with a Lions logo on it. Try and finangle a freebie Lions/Tims gift card out of him so you can pick up a donut when you are in town to catch a game...
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

I've nothing to add, but if you don't get anywhere on this and still want to partake of foodstuffs from a Lions sponsor, try looking for these Red Square Bakery guys, whom I've mentioned on here before:

http://www.rsquare.com/sponsors.html

I see their energy cookies all the time in Buy Low Foods, IGA and (especially) London Drugs, with the Lions logo stamped on the box. Available year-round, too — not just game days, and highly non-perishable to boot.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Get them to make them in double chocolate