Dear Lionbackers

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheFanWithTheFlag
Starter

Now that I have your attention I would like to thank "D" for creating this amazing website. I really enjoy talking to everyone on here and meeting up for drinks and conversation.

So thank you D for all your hard work. If you agree with me on this, please post on this thread. A little bit counts. Just to show D and the administration team for all the hard work.
:good: :good: :good:
THANK YOU!!!

Also this is my 100th post

TFWTF
GO LIONS GO!!!
BCfanInDIXIE
Starter

I'll echo the sentiment. While I cannot meet you fine gentlemen and ladies for the occassional celebritory drink, I enjoy having a place to stop in and discuss a team I consider my own. It makes it much easier for a Southerner like myself who loves a sport that is utterly unknown in my area to have a place to call home online.
Founder of the Bama BC Fan Club :towel:
TheFanWithTheFlag
Starter

Thank you Dixie that means alot maybe one day we will physically meet each other. Maybe!!!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

:thup: :thup: :thup: :thup:
Anglophone
All Star

I can definitely get behind this message. I've learned a lot in my year and a half here.
D
Team Captain

Thanks guys ... and a BIG thanks to the Mod team and all of you who visit and post. without your participation there really wouldn't be much point so thank you all ..... group hug! :wink:
I own The Grey Cup! .com
274always
All Star

I have to say that this forum is way better than the alouettes'. Thanks for allowing a montrealer on board. We deserved to get our asses kicked last nov. 5 in your house.
Grey Cup 103. Graduation day.
TheFanWithTheFlag
Starter

274always wrote:We deserved to get our asses kicked last nov. 5 in your house.
And this year don't forget!!!
D
Team Captain

274always wrote:Thanks for allowing a montrealer on board. We deserved to get our asses kicked last nov. 5 in your house.
I like playing the Als, win or lose it's always an exciting game. Just the other day I was thinking about the game in 01? 02? and Alfred "Action" Jackson's 109 yard TD. What a game that was! :rockin:
I own The Grey Cup! .com
Rammer
Team Captain

D wrote:
274always wrote:Thanks for allowing a montrealer on board. We deserved to get our asses kicked last nov. 5 in your house.
I like playing the Als, win or lose it's always an exciting game. Just the other day I was thinking about the game in 01? 02? and Alfred "Action" Jackson's 109 yard TD. What a game that was! :rockin:
IIRC it was 02, things were looking bleak and then there was the INT on the GL and the next play to one very tired AJ for the TD. An announced crowd of 17K, but more like 15K at best were as loud as twice as many that night, and were a factor in the outcome. That game ranks right up there with the Darren Flutie catch in the WDF of 94 and the GC of that same year with the Lui Passaglia FG. Good times and very nice that we are able to share those memories and current discussions of the Lions here on Lionbackers.com, thanks D.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
D wrote:
IIRC it was 02, things were looking bleak and then there was the INT on the GL and the next play to one very tired AJ for the TD. An announced crowd of 17K, but more like 15K at best were as loud as twice as many that night, and were a factor in the outcome. That game ranks right up there with the Darren Flutie catch in the WDF of 94 and the GC of that same year with the Lui Passaglia FG.
Do you really consider that game in the same ranks as the 1994 WDF?

Maybe in the sense that the 2002 season was the last one for long-time veterans as a Lion like Damon Allen, Alfred Jackson, Sean Millington, and Adam Rita. And perhaps that was the last time there was a huge play in an otherwise mediocre season and that was the farewell play as there wasn't too many other spectacular plays after that.

That game on August 21, 2002 drew a crowd of only 17,221 and Damon Allen threw a 109-yard TD pass to Alfred Jackson with 67 seconds remaining in a Lions 48-37 win over the Allouettes. That was game 9 for both teams and it was the first loss for Montreal after starting the season 8-0.

But I wouldn't say the game ranks as the 1994 WDF in terms of long-term effects. The Alouettes still managed to finish first in the east and win the Grey Cup. And the Lions went 6-3 to finish the regular season with Adam Rita firing and replacing Steve Buratto as head coach, but the Lions still had to settle for third in the west and fourth place Saskatchewan also made the playoffs so the Lions weren't really going for a playoff spot unless you call the recovery from 1-5 to start the season that costed Steve Buratto his job.

In the 2002 WDSF though, the Lions were demolished 30-3 by Winnipeg. When it comes to foe to friend stories, how about Arland Bruce III? In the 2002 WDSF, returned a missed FG 112 yards for a TD early on in the game and the Blue Bombers never looked back. Nine years later, Arland Bruce III then helped the Lions in beating Winnipeg in the 2011 Grey Cup with the Lions third TD to really put the game away.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Rammer
Team Captain

Robbie wrote:
Rammer wrote:
D wrote: I like playing the Als, win or lose it's always an exciting game. Just the other day I was thinking about the game in 01? 02? and Alfred "Action" Jackson's 109 yard TD. What a game that was! :rockin:
IIRC it was 02, things were looking bleak and then there was the INT on the GL and the next play to one very tired AJ for the TD. An announced crowd of 17K, but more like 15K at best were as loud as twice as many that night, and were a factor in the outcome. That game ranks right up there with the Darren Flutie catch in the WDF of 94 and the GC of that same year with the Lui Passaglia FG.
Do you really consider that game in the same ranks as the 1994 WDF?

Maybe in the sense that the 2002 season was the last one for long-time veterans as a Lion like Damon Allen, Alfred Jackson, Sean Millington, and Adam Rita. And perhaps that was the last time there was a huge play in an otherwise mediocre season and that was the farewell play as there wasn't too many other spectacular plays after that.

That game on August 21, 2002 drew a crowd of only 17,221 and Damon Allen threw a 109-yard TD pass to Alfred Jackson with 67 seconds remaining in a Lions 48-37 win over the Allouettes. That was game 9 for both teams and it was the first loss for Montreal after starting the season 8-0.

But I wouldn't say the game ranks as the 1994 WDF in terms of long-term effects. The Alouettes still managed to finish first in the east and win the Grey Cup. And the Lions went 6-3 to finish the regular season with Adam Rita firing and replacing Steve Buratto as head coach, but the Lions still had to settle for third in the west and fourth place Saskatchewan also made the playoffs so the Lions weren't really going for a playoff spot unless you call the recovery from 1-5 to start the season that costed Steve Buratto.

In the 2002 WDSF though, the Lions were demolished 30-3 by Winnipeg. When it comes to foe to friend stories, how about Arland Bruce III? In the 2002 WDSF, returned a missed FG 112 yards for a TD and the Blue Bombers never looked back. Nine years later, Arland Bruce III then helped the Lions in beating Winnipeg in the 2011 Grey Cup with the Lions third TD to really put the game away.
I guess that you wouldn't know if you weren't at that game. That brought life back to the Lions fans, exponentially to those that actually attended, IMO. IIRC attendance hit the lowest of low that evening, then moved upwards afterwards.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:IIRC attendance hit the lowest of low that evening, then moved upwards afterwards.
Okay, you may have a point in that after the game, home attendance did increase to break the 20,000 barrier.

Lions home attendance in 2002
1. Toronto at BC - 15,796
2. Hamilton at BC - 14,218
3. Calgary at BC - 15,117
4. Ottawa at BC - 15,258
5. Montreal at BC - 17,221
6. Edmonton at BC - 21,886
7. Winnipeg at BC - 20,191
8. Calgary at BC - 20,950
9. Saskatchewan at BC - 25,929

It's fair to say though that it was the replacement of Rita by Buono, and maybe of Allen by Dickenson as well 2003 that really brought the fans back.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

The Lions had a typically slow start to 2002. Some things rarely change. They went in to that Monreal game 3-5 but were able to turn things around and finish a respectable 10-8. Also, a weird Wednesday night game.