Tonight's Championship Ring Ceremony

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Centrum22
Starter

MexicoLionFan wrote:
But that is what Capitalism is Joe, a big game of monopoly to those at the top of the pyramid...in the end one person, or one family, ends up with all of the properties and all of the money...and that's because its their game...they own the bank and we are forced to borrow from it...

Sad but true...
Sad but false.

You have described the very opposite of capitalism, a dynamic system of free competition where businesses must constantly find new ways to create better products at attractive prices in order to flourish. Monopolies come about only through statism, i.e., when government interferes with the competitive process of the free market by granting special legal protections and privileges to one business at the expense of others. Laissez-faire capitalism, by definition, does away with such interference and the coercive monopolies it creates.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Centrum22 wrote:Monopolies come about only through statism, i.e., when government interferes with the competitive process of the free market by granting special legal protections and privileges to one business at the expense of others.
Got that for ya right here:

http://www.pssg.gov.bc.ca/lclb/

Those rings are awesome BTW.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Centrum22 wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote:
But that is what Capitalism is Joe, a big game of monopoly to those at the top of the pyramid...in the end one person, or one family, ends up with all of the properties and all of the money...and that's because its their game...they own the bank and we are forced to borrow from it...

Sad but true...
Sad but false.

You have described the very opposite of capitalism, a dynamic system of free competition where businesses must constantly find new ways to create better products at attractive prices in order to flourish. Monopolies come about only through statism, i.e., when government interferes with the competitive process of the free market by granting special legal protections and privileges to one business at the expense of others. Laissez-faire capitalism, by definition, does away with such interference and the coercive monopolies it creates.
Sorry, Centrum, to be more specific this bull$hit imitation of capitalism...by pure definition, Capitalism ceased to exist in a meaningful form by the end of WWII, since then our world has been run by oligarchs, a select group that control all booms and busts, and buy up the defaults they create at pennies on the dollar.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
274always
All Star

On the 2010 alouettes ring there are 4 small football like diamonds between the cups to represent their first 4 GC wins and 3 larger ones across the ring to represent the 3 other wins and there are 14 diamonds on the 'A' represent all 14 reg season and playoff wins and having the picture of each player on the ring was a first in the cfl.

'Believe.Achieve. Make History'. That is so beautiful.
Grey Cup 103. Graduation day.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

274always wrote:On the 2010 alouettes ring ... and having the picture of each player on the ring was a first in the cfl.
Yes, inscribing the winning person's facial features on to a ring makes it as personalized as it could be.

Speaking of Grey Cup rings, before he passed away Cal Murphy exhibited all nine of his Grey Cup rings.

I'd like to see Don Matthews exhibit his 10 Grey Cup rings.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Mikemike
All Star

Great pictures guys. This is one of the best threads ever at lionbackers.
Big Time
Champion

Robbie wrote:
FOUR BC Lions Grey Cup Rings :beauty: :beer:
Carol Longmuir, Finance Administrator (1994, 2000, 2006, 2011)
Lui Passaglia, Player/Director of Community Relations (1985, 1994, 2000, 2006)
Is Lui no longer associated with the team? I thought he was still involved in some capacity. If he is, he probably is a member of the Five GC club. Would love to see Kato where all his rings at a game one day :rockin:
Big Time
Champion

Robbie wrote:
274always wrote:On the 2010 alouettes ring ... and having the picture of each player on the ring was a first in the cfl.
Yes, inscribing the winning person's facial features on to a ring makes it as personalized as it could be.
Yes, that's a level of personalization that is fantastic.

Just to add a few more pictures to show how nuanced these rings can be, the LA Lakers did a similar things with their 2009 ring. What's interesting about this ring is that from the side, the top of the ring is meant to be in the shape of the Staples centre (!!)

ImageImage

The followed that up in 2010 with another neat trick. In addition to the picture of the player on the side, on the inside of the 2010 ring, they cut out a piece of the basketball used in the final game of the championship and incorporated it into the ring. Can you imagine if they had done something like that with a football?

Robbie
Hall of Famer

Big Time wrote:
Robbie wrote:FOUR BC Lions Grey Cup Rings :beauty: :beer:
Carol Longmuir, Finance Administrator (1994, 2000, 2006, 2011)
Lui Passaglia, Player/Director of Community Relations (1985, 1994, 2000, 2006)
Is Lui no longer associated with the team? I thought he was still involved in some capacity. If he is, he probably is a member of the Five GC club.
No, Lui Passaglia is no longer associated with the team so he didn't receive a fifth Grey Cup ring.

--------------------------------

Here's a very good page showing almost all of the Super Bowl rings:
http://www.hoffco-inc.com/sb/rings.html

And with a huge NFL budget, there are rings for the Super Bowl runner-ups as well with their AFC/NFC championship rings:
http://www.hoffco-inc.com/sb/rings-conf.html

Not as prestigious, but not bad by any means with a fair amount of diamonds. But I wonder if those rings end up on eBay as I'm not sure how much consolation it is for the losing players.

I wonder if Shaun Alexander and Matt Hasselbeck still have this ring: Image

And one of the most prolific NFL quarterbacks Dan Marino only managed to earn this ring: Image

Finally for the Buffalo Bills players, I'm not sure if acknowledging four straight AFC championships is really a good idea: Image
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Big Time
Champion

Yeah, I imagine every time someone wears one those "runner up" rings, it must sting a little bit. FWIW, I still maintain the Seahawks were absolutely robbed by the officials throughout that entire game. One of the officials several years later even admitted they blew a number of calls in favour of the Steelers.

Incidentally, I just saw that the NY Giants unveiled their latest Super Bowl ring a few weeks ago. I have to say, I think this year's Grey Cup ring is better.

ImageImage
274always
All Star

Robbie wrote:

Speaking of Grey Cup rings, before he passed away Cal Murphy exhibited all nine of his Grey Cup rings.

I'd like to see Don Matthews exhibit his 10 Grey Cup rings.

Repotedly he gave half of them away to his sons and some close friends including his Baltimore ring.
274always
All Star

[quote="Big Time"]

Incidentally, I just saw that the NY Giants unveiled their latest Super Bowl ring a few weeks ago. I have to say, I think this year's Grey Cup ring is better.

They're both purty to me.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

274always wrote:Repotedly he gave half of them away to his sons and some close friends including his Baltimore ring.
I suppose that's much better than placing them on eBay. And donating them to the Canadian Football Hall of Fame would be a nice gesture, although in my trip there I didn't see such rings for display.

------------------------

I think this is the first time I've seen a young girl lift and carry the Grey Cup. Way to go and in a few years, we'll see you as a Felion. :beauty:

祝你龍年行大運。
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The Grey Cup is not a heavy trophy