All things Kamloops Training Camp 2012

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:Funny how few receivers enjoyed going into Hitchcock's area of the field and lead them to miss a few tosses their way. I am a huge proponent of the intimidation factor for a safety. And when a receiver does catch a ball and is rocked, you know that both sidelines react in opposite directions. Plus the safety has to be able to pull down those RB's when all else fails.
I agree Rammer. I think a lot of this is 'spin' recognizing the hand he's been dealt. You can't tell me that Bene doesn't like tough, aggressive football and that if he had Butler patrolling the safety position that he'd be complaining that he's too physical (not to mention the added benefit the safety blitz brings).

[video][/video]

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
MexicoLionFan
Legend

David wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:IMO LaRose is a hard hitter, but doesn't make enough plays on the ball, and really doesn't have enough speed.
Bennie has already told JR that he's not in the team's plans for safety. They want him to be a key contributor on Special Teams instead. The club is handing the keys to Muamba and Mahmoudi (for now) and it's theirs to lose. No immediate plans for an import safety, according to Coach B.

When the topic of 'hard-hitting' safeties was brought up on the Coach's Show tonight, Bennie said he's not necessarily looking for a hard-hitting safety, saying it usually means a receiver has already caught the ball when lick is applied.

Okay, if the Lions are intent on having Muamba play safety, how do the Lions fit the following players on to the field???

Marsh
Banks
Shell
Phillips
Parker
Reddick

All 6 are being paid starting dollars, and all 6 have played like All Stars...how do you justify, for instance, having Lin J Shell playing 40% of the defensive snaps when he is the CFLs returning Leading Tackler???

Plus, Shell hits like a freight train so his value in on the field at all times, for his intimidation factor...so then what...Phillips sits, and plays in a rotation with Parker??? That's a pretty high price to pay just to have a starting Canadian safety, when we don't have to play one...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Rammer
Team Captain

MexicoLionFan wrote:
David wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:IMO LaRose is a hard hitter, but doesn't make enough plays on the ball, and really doesn't have enough speed.
Bennie has already told JR that he's not in the team's plans for safety. They want him to be a key contributor on Special Teams instead. The club is handing the keys to Muamba and Mahmoudi (for now) and it's theirs to lose. No immediate plans for an import safety, according to Coach B.

When the topic of 'hard-hitting' safeties was brought up on the Coach's Show tonight, Bennie said he's not necessarily looking for a hard-hitting safety, saying it usually means a receiver has already caught the ball when lick is applied.

Okay, if the Lions are intent on having Muamba play safety, how do the Lions fit the following players on to the field???

Marsh
Banks
Shell
Phillips
Parker
Reddick

All 6 are being paid starting dollars, and all 6 have played like All Stars...how do you justify, for instance, having Lin J Shell playing 40% of the defensive snaps when he is the CFLs returning Leading Tackler???

Plus, Shell hits like a freight train so his value in on the field at all times, for his intimidation factor...so then what...Phillips sits, and plays in a rotation with Parker??? That's a pretty high price to pay just to have a starting Canadian safety, when we don't have to play one...
One or two in that list won't be around IMO, and Phillips had better step up his game from the early reports or he may be on that list. On the other hand Wally doesn't often give out new contracts without expecting a player to make the team, as that is a reflection upon his player assessment.
Entertainment value = an all time low
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Tuesday, June 5
Morning training camp session report

Weather: 12 degrees, showers
Players taking part: 73, give or take
New in camp: G Patrick Kabongo, wearing number 68.
Not taking part: Gs Dean Valli and Jesse Newman injured. RT Jovan Olafioye watching. LB Adam Leonard working out by himself on the sidelines. Not seen: RB Andrew Harris, DT Khalif Mitchell, NKL Anthony Reddick, WR Michael Moore.

With three of the five offensive line starters from the Grey Cup team out of action, should we be worried? Taking first-team reps were Matt Norman at RG and Jordan Mudge at RT. The offensive line is looking thin in one sense of the word, although Kabongo makes up for it in girth.

With Andrew Harris out, RB Tim Brown again shone in the inside run game and as a receiver out of the backfield. No one is taking his job.
The Lion RBs are unstoppable as receivers in the flat, at least by the likes of LBs James Yurichuk and Beau Bell.

With Reddick out of action, the first-team linebackers were Anton McKenzie, James Yurichuk and Lin-J Shell. McKenzie is clearly the quarterback on the defence, calling the signals and directing Yurichuk where to be and what to do. It didn't help. If the Lions plan to start 8 NIs, they'll have to get more out of Yurichuk.

QB Corey Leonard continues to struggle with his decision-making, timing and delivery. The third-string job is available for the taking but no one else is getting enough reps to take it. There's a big gap from Travis Lulay to Mike Reilly and from Reilly to Leonard.

On the defensive line, Teryl White and Jabar Westerman shared starting reps at tackle for Khalif Mitchell. Westerman looked good, stopping Tim Brown up the middle in goal-line defence and getting good penetration in one-on-ones. He's in strong position to be part of the rotation. Keron Williams and Eric Taylor also looked good against the makeshift offensive line and Maurice Evans knocked down a Travis Lulay pass at the goal-line. Junior DE Steven Doege doesn't look ready to compete at this level. He seems to lack the strength and size and was easily swallowed up by the O-line.

Jason Arakgi was taking reps with the linebackers so he seems to have returned to where he started. J.R. LaRose applied good pressure on special teams and seems to be enjoying his new role.

Others making an impression were DB Ryan Phillips, intercepting a pass for Geroy Simon in one-on-ones, and DB Josh Bell, with an end-zone interception on a deflection. The aforementioned Tim Brown and WR Ernest Jackson made big catches that drew raves from players and spectators.

P/K Hugh O'Neill was getting great hang time on his punts. He is destined for the 46-man roster this year but he is making a case for a spot on the 42-man roster to handle kickoffs and punts.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Great post, BCFAN. Appreciated.

Re the O Line. As a fan, I am not particularly worried. Over the years there have been so many Non Import O Linemen gainfully employed, as with Patrick Kabongo, that I think short term measures are available. And Baboulas has been with Dorazio for enough time to be up to speed. Matt Norman also looks more and more like an excellent draft pick. More mature both physically and emotionally than Kirby Fabien.

Other O Line guys "out there" might include Yannick Sage and Matt Morencie. Plus the PRs and cuts once the rosters are declared. Stop gaps of course, but serviceable.

That will be too bad if Doege isn't ready, and that is likely. It seems to me we will be watching and waiting to pick someone up.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Thanks again BCFan, greatly appreciated...I honestly wouldn't worry too much about Corey Leonard...the first days of camp are usually hardest on QBs because their heads are full of information they are trying to process, and remembering things that coaches and players are wanting to see out of them...once the weather warms up and the field dries out, I'll wager that both Reilly and Leonard begin to hold their own...

Thanks again.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Tuesday, June 5
Afternoon training camp session report

Weather:
13 degrees, raining
Players taking part: 70
Back in action: RB Andrew Harris, RT Jovan Olafioye. Dressed but not participating: WR Michael Moore. Working out on the sidelines: LB Adam Leonard. Still out: Injured Gs Dean Valli and Jesse Newman, DT Khalif Mitchell and NKL Anthony Reddick. Hurt at practice: WR Darnell Jenkins.

Whether it was the weather or just a maintenance day, the starters got only light duty while the backups took all the reps at practice. It gave newcomers a chance to stand out but it resulted in some sloppy football. It's easy to tell at this stage who are starters, who are backups and who are camp bodies. WR Marco Iannuzzi solidified his claim to the sixth receiver spot by shining against rookie DBs. He may have been the best player on the field this afternoon.

Among the few others who made a positive impression were DT Teryl White, who is challenging for a roster spot, and LB Beau Bell, not to be confused with DB Josh Bell, who has his first initial on his jersey and struggled in coverage.
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

where did Jarius go this year?
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

1greatmysticbushape wrote:where did Jarius go this year?
Jackson was released for salary cap reasons and he is now backing up Ricky Ray in TO.
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

thanks. I hope he gets a chance to use that arm someday, someway.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:Tuesday, June 5
Afternoon training camp session report

Weather:
13 degrees, raining
Players taking part: 70
Back in action: RB Andrew Harris, RT Jovan Olafioye. Dressed but not participating: WR Michael Moore. Working out on the sidelines: LB Adam Leonard. Still out: Injured Gs Dean Valli and Jesse Newman, DT Khalif Mitchell and NKL Anthony Reddick. Hurt at practice: WR Darnell Jenkins.

Whether it was the weather or just a maintenance day, the starters got only light duty while the backups took all the reps at practice. It gave newcomers a chance to stand out but it resulted in some sloppy football. It's easy to tell at this stage who are starters, who are backups and who are camp bodies. WR Marco Iannuzzi solidified his claim to the sixth receiver spot by shining against rookie DBs. He may have been the best player on the field this afternoon.

Among the few others who made a positive impression were DT Teryl White, who is challenging for a roster spot, and LB Beau Bell, not to be confused with DB Josh Bell, who has his first initial on his jersey and struggled in coverage.
:thup:

Good news re Iannuzzi. He is slick and slippery. Looks like he was a solid draft choice last year.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Good reports BC Fan.

I am very interested in the back up QB this year and read one report in the media that Reilly in the first day was not sharp. Not a concern at this point but clearly BC will have to play a back up a lot with Jarius the known quantity doing that job for the Argos.

What kind of playing shape is kabongo in? I 'd assume he kept conditioning in the hopes of this event occurring.

I wonder if Cole Berquist (last year Sask back up) will find a TC this year?! I thought he showed well as did Mike Reilly in the preseason in BC last year vs Sask.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:Good reports BC Fan.

I am very interested in the back up QB this year and read one report in the media that Reilly in the first day was not sharp. Not a concern at this point but clearly BC will have to play a back up a lot with Jarius the known quantity doing that job for the Argos.

What kind of playing shape is kabongo in? I 'd assume he kept conditioning in the hopes of this event occurring.

I wonder if Cole Berquist (last year Sask back up) will find a TC this year?! I thought he showed well as did Mike Reilly in the preseason in BC last year vs Sask.
There's a night and day difference between Lulay and Reilly at this point. The offence looks unstoppable with Lulay in and struggles with Reilly or the other quarterbacks at the controls. There's no substitute for playing time, and Lulay is the only QB on the roster who has any significant playing time on his resume. If the Lions have to win without Lulay, it will be through defence and game management.

Kabongo, according to Lowell Ullrich, weighed in at 364 pounds. Apparently he got bigger than that in Edmonton when he lost his starting job. He wasn't asked to do a lot on his first day of camp. I wouldn't be surprised to see rookie draft pick Matt Norman start the season at right guard.
Lions' Patrick Kabongo putting his weight on the line
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Thanks for the reports BC Fan. It is greatly appreciated. That Kabongo is huge. At 364 lbs. he has to be biggest player in the league