All things Kamloops Training Camp 2012

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

With the injuries to Newman and Valli, I'm hoping that Matt Norman gets lots of starting O line reps this year so that Fabien's decision to listen to his agent and snub the Lions blows up in Fabien's face.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Injuries, like interceptions, are better incurred earlier than later.
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

its good to get wrecked
the-real-hugo
Rookie

TheLionKing wrote:Thanks for the reports BC Fan. It is greatly appreciated. That Kabongo is huge. At 364 lbs. he has to be biggest player in the league
Yup, next closest would probably be Lions own Benjamin Ossai at 6'6" & 335 lbs. I think Patrick was upset by getting cut early this year. Don't know if at 32 he can get back to his best form, but he's the kinda guy that will give it all he's got, that's for sure! Wish him well...
pennw
Legend

Strange that Kabongo is listed at 315 lbs on the Lions web site . Maybe that is a hint at what they expect him to get down to .
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

can anyone compare Reilly to Lulay in his second yr on the roster?
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:can anyone compare Reilly to Lulay in his second yr on the roster?
My impressions ...

IMO Lulay stood out from the get go. Many of us on here commented in that fashion. Others said don't go too fast. Well, it turns out, at least so far, that expectations were appropriate.

They seem similar in their backgrounds. Montana. Washington. Western guys. Both big. Strong arms. Accurate. Lulay has shown his mobility. Reilly has shown glimpses of some mobility. At college I believe Reilly showed similar mobility to Lulay. Both had great passing stats in college, and showed enough raw talent to draw interest from the NFL, and spend some time there.

What Lulay has shown is adaptation to the CFL. IMO Reilly hasn't shown outstanding ability yet. He showed a bit in his one appearance. But I don't think anyone has reacted to him the way we reacted to Lulay. But then Lulay would seem to be that once in a decade type of QB.

How will Reilly deal with the speed and pressure of the CFL? Dunno at this time. But he could end up being a better QB than Jarious, just don't know at this time. The game never seemed to slow down for Jarious. He could handle the pressure, but the game for him seemed to be at just a bit too fast of a pace. IMO, and I am a Jarious fan.

From BCFAN's reports, I gather Corey Leonard has not shown well thus far. That is a bad sign IMO, and he may be pushed by DeMarco for spot #3. If Leonard wants to solidify positive impressions, he should be pushing Reilly.
Rammer
Team Captain

I really liked what I have seen in Reilly, he is taller than Lulay and with our OL reaching Goliath proportions that is an asset. IMO, he also has better speed than Lulay, but may not be as agile. I have seen him escape the pocket and then proceed to outrun DL/LB in close pursuit. Now all that was in limited time, but I am happy that he will pick up the garbage time behind Lulay rather than allowing JJ to be the second string QB. With that we will find out more on his ability, as WCJ points out, we haven't seen enough of him yet, and practice has been mostly with the scout team and that doesn't put him in a comparison state as of yet.
Entertainment value = an all time low
David
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:From BCFAN's reports, I gather Corey Leonard has not shown well thus far. That is a bad sign IMO, and he may be pushed by DeMarco for spot #3. If Leonard wants to solidify positive impressions, he should be pushing Reilly.
Giulio hinted this morning on TEAM1040 radio that the club is likely to sign another QB (from their neg. list). This shows me that the battle for #3 is not shaping up quite the way they planned.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:From BCFAN's reports, I gather Corey Leonard has not shown well thus far. That is a bad sign IMO, and he may be pushed by DeMarco for spot #3. If Leonard wants to solidify positive impressions, he should be pushing Reilly.
Giulio hinted this morning on TEAM1040 radio that the club is likely to sign another QB (from their neg. list). This shows me that the battle for #3 is not shaping up quite the way they planned.

It is very tough for Reilly to be sharp (but that's not going to work as an excuse) given that last year he really never played and that was only due to the poor start, lack of injuries and being #3 anyway. Their 0 and 5 start and then the need to win as much as they could from then on ensured he didn't see action unlike the days when Buck at #4 was in action due to falling/nicked up QBs ahead of him. Actually Jarius was effectively toast on the first play in pre-season on 05 with the thumb injury.

The pro coaches have no patience if they don't see what they are looking for. No back up this year would be safe it seems.

Again, I am wondering if real estate agent Cole Berquist might be in the mix. I really didn't get the Riders dumping him before TC.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:

Interesting. The coaches haven't gone away from their script of giving most of the reps to the three incumbents: Lulay, Reilly and Leonard. They could be just showing patience with the guys they've been developing. They're definitely not allowing for a battle for the No. 3 position.

I drove home this afternoon, just dodging the snow on the mountain passes. There was just one practice this afternoon. Here's the team's Wednesday recap:
Official Day 4 report
David
Team Captain

More on my earlier point about the team seeking another quarterback in this report from LU HERE.

Interesting background video about the QB they're rumoured to be interested in bringing up here - Casey Therriault. A story of tragedy and redemption.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Wow, interesting article on Therriault
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:More on my earlier point about the team seeking another quarterback in this report from LU HERE.

Interesting background video about the QB they're rumoured to be interested in bringing up here - Casey Therriault. A story of tragedy and redemption.

Wow. Amazing article on Therriault. Sometimes bad things happen to good people. Wrong place. Wrong time. Wrong friends. Then try to find forgiveness and a second chance. Therriault found both. I admire his character.

I hope we bring him in. :thup:

And it is a beautiful story of race tolerance. Kudos to the black community of Jackson State for their warmth, tolerance and generosity of spirit. :thup:

And if the Lions bring him in, kudos to them for seeing past the headlines into an understanding of what happened in Therriault's past.

A YouTube video showing his skills and his story ...

White Tiger