Paul McCallum Named B.C.s Best Athlete

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

What a great honour. I wouldn't describe McCallum as athletic but he just came off the best season that any CFL kicker has ever had. His age makes his accomplishments even more amazing. Congratulations.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Congrats, Paul! :rockin:
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Rammer
Team Captain

A fieldgoal kickers dream is happening in front of us, first to be named MOP for the Lions and now this, it can't get any better for him. Congratulations PM on a great season that ended the way all Lion fans could only dream of. :thup:
Entertainment value = an all time low
BCfanInDIXIE
Starter

Being a former high school champion runningback I cant believe I am going to say this about a kicker, but...this is a VERY well-deserved honor for Paul. there are two (and only two) kickers out there who I respect above other athletes, those two are Rob Bironas and Paul McCallum. When you give those guys the ball they put it through the uprights every time.

Congratulations Paul!
Founder of the Bama BC Fan Club :towel:
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

BCfanInDIXIE wrote:Being a former high school champion runningback I cant believe I am going to say this about a kicker, but...this is a VERY well-deserved honor for Paul. there are two (and only two) kickers out there who I respect above other athletes, those two are Rob Bironas and Paul McCallum. When you give those guys the ball they put it through the uprights every time.

Congratulations Paul!
Congrats are in order. He had a fine year. Deserving.

Not sure a Lion fan can forget Lui Passaglia either both a place kicker, punter and a guy who could make plays.

When the Lions would fake a punt you could 95% of the time rely on Lui to make it a successful gamble. When Paul Mc gambles it is usually a disaster. Not to knock Paul though - that is not his skill set.

The first play in the then new BC Place Stadium in CFL league play was BC vs Sask with the Don Matthews coached Lions kicking off to the riders with over 50,000 fans there. Opening kickoff was an onside kick by Lui that was retained by the BC Lions! First down BC off a Lion kick off! I think BC fans would sell Lui short not place him in a good athlete category.

Paul has proven to be a key guy in this team and seems like he can play forever.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheFanWithTheFlag
Starter

BEST KICKER IN CFL HISTORY BESIDES LUI PASSAGLIA OF COURSE!!!
CONGRATS PAUL SEE YOU IN JUNE
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

For those that contend that kickers are not athletes.......what should not be forgotten or ignored is the fact that Paul works with Chris Boyko and does the identical workout routine as Geroy Simon !!......tell me that a non-athlete can do that !!
Lloyd
Rammer
Team Captain

Shi Zi Mi wrote:For those that contend that kickers are not athletes.......what should not be forgotten or ignored is the fact that Paul works with Chris Boyko and does the identical workout routine as Geroy Simon !!......tell me that a non-athlete can do that !!
Apparently so, Pauly isn't quite at the same end of the athletic spectrum as Geroy, regardless of doing a workout with him.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Also voted quickest to the Buffet Table :clown:
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

He's not just the best FG kicker in all of football, he is also the punter and our kick off guy...McCallum is a true professional that excels at all aspects of his game, and that includes trying to make tackles on big returns.

Congrats to Paul and thanks...that last season was a thing of beauty!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:For those that contend that kickers are not athletes.......what should not be forgotten or ignored is the fact that Paul works with Chris Boyko and does the identical workout routine as Geroy Simon !!......tell me that a non-athlete can do that !!
I'll echo your sentiments and note that PMcC wasn't even the oldest nominee for this award. The person with that distinction had arguably not as big a role in his team's success as Paul did in his, which is really what this award is about in the first place; it "recognizes a professional or amateur athlete for outstanding athletic achievement." It's not about the fastest, or the strongest, or the biggest — it's all about the RESULTS, and in 2011 Paul had that in spades.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.