Lions re-sign Mitchell, release Kornegay

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The big man is back after shopping his services to NFL teams. That's great news for the front-7.

The first budget-trimming occurs in the secondary, with the release of Kornegay.
BCLions.com Staff

The BC Lions Football Club announced this morning that import defensive lineman and CFL All-Star Khalif Mitchell has re-signed with the team.

“It’s great news for our club, our fans and our league that Khalif has agreed to remain with the Lions,” said GM and VP, football operations Wally Buono. “Khalif is a great player on the field and a dynamic personality that many of our fans have grown to love.”

“Khalif was an impact player and big part of our championship last season, said head coach Mike Benevides. “Given the choices he had, I believe this signing says a lot about our league and our organization and I am very pleased to have him back.”

Mitchell originally signed with the Lions in the late stages of the 2010 season and was set to contribute to the club’s defensive line from a back-up spot in 2011. With injuries to fellow defensive lineman Eric Taylor midway through the 2011 campaign, Mitchell got his chance as a regular starter in Week 7 and was a significant part of the Lions’ dominant defensive front that rung up 54 sacks.

“It’s a great feeling to know that I am returning to the organization that gave me an opportunity to develop into the player I am today,” said Mitchell. “There were choices out there, but in the end I want to be a Lion, I want to be part of this league and I want to spend more time in BC. We have amazing players on both sides of the ball and a very good chance to repeat as champions.”

Finishing the season with 33 tackles and six sacks, Mitchell along with linemates Aaron Hunt and Keron Williams earned both West Division All-Star status and a league-wide reputation for relentless effort on every play. The Virginia native also added two defensive tackles and two sacks in the postseason.

The Lions also announced that defensive back Tad Kornegay has been released.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Oh My God. Hard to believe when one considers the money aspect. One wonders about the offers he received.

With Khalif, though, one can guess that he goes his own way. Money might not be everything to him.

This is truly fantastic news.

IMO Khalif is the most dominant defensive player in the CFL since Cam Wake.

Bravo ...

Welcome back, Khalif. Back with your family. :thup:
korey&dante4ever
Champion

Unbelievable news signing Khalif Mitchell!!.. Fantastic!

Tad Kornegay just had some tweets:

"Take it easy twitter fam. This was set in my contract the first day I sign. My intentions as well ask Coach Bene is to be in BC."

"Just a Procedure that had to be upheld cause it was in writing. Now it does make me open to other teams but I plan to be Lion."

"But I must say....I am business man. Lol. I love money that makes me financially comfortable. Lol"

So he's basically a free agent, but plans/wants to be back in B.C.
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Fantastic news!!!

Don't know if many saw it but TSN did a fantastic Road to the Grey Cup feature on the Lions season that was part of their pre-game coverage. It was about 10 minutes long and NFL Films quality with some amazing footage of the WF on the field (different camera angles) and inside the locker room. The pre-game speech in the Lions dressing room was addressed by Mitchell which somewhat surprised me given he wasn't a captain and hadn't been with the team for an extended time. It told me that perhaps the Lions were maybe just more than a stop over in his career and he really appreciated being here. Today proves it!!

And thanks for the clarification on the Tad situation K&D :thup: Hope he stays but that is now three FAs in the starting secondary.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Great to have Mitchell back in the Lions Den but I thought he had signed with Miami
Rammer
Team Captain

I wonder what the term is for Kaliff. I guess now with new jersey's coming out, that I should honour my words on purchasing a jersey with his nameplate now that this is a done deal. Still can't believe that he re-signed here after the word was he was signing in Miami. :thup:
Entertainment value = an all time low
Anglophone
All Star

I'm in shock. So incredibly happy! I never thought this would end up happening, especially after word of his signing with Miami broke.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Wow...incredible news...like Joe and Sammy intimated, Mitchell dominated the DLine like no other player has since Cam Wake...to have him back is amazing...the rotation of Mitchell, Hunt, and Taylor will be lethal for opposing lines...or the Lions have an opportunity here to maybe call it a day with Hunt, and spend that money on retaining the rest of the Free Agents...Eric Taylor is an All Star type player, and the Leos are high on both Daryl White and James Bryant from the practise roster...so we will see.

As for Kornegay, thanks for the clarification K&D...to me, the key has been all along bringing back that shut down secondary...Banks/Marsh on one side and Kornegay/Phillips on the other is the best combo the CFL has seen in a long time...however, the Leos are also very high on Raphael Priest, and they may very well choose not to bring back either Kornegay or Phillips and let Priest begin his career here, for quite a bit less money.

Another great day for the BC Lions...and a huge thank you to Mitchell for thinking about Family and quality of life first rather than just money!

Awesome!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Big Time
Champion

I imagine that Mitchell's lack of signing in the NFL came down to politics and reputation. From what I understand, he was very close to getting an NFL pension. So that was deterrent number 1. Second was his reputation for a lack of maturity - not from his CFL days but from his previous NFL stint. That likely was deterrent number 2. Finally, he was probably looking for a pretty sizeable signing bonus. The signing bonus is the real indicator of how likely you are to make it on the NFL roster. I imagine it wasn't close to what he was looking for. Thus, a return to BC was in order.

Glad to have him back and looking forward to seeing him be part of the orange crush this year!
Rammer
Team Captain

Just a reminder to those who are as happy as me about the re-signing of Mitchell.

http://cfl.ca/video/index/id/22591
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:Just a reminder to those who are as happy as me about the re-signing of Michell.

That is an amazing video, Rammer. And that is what I meant when I mentioned "Back with your family, Khalif." :thup:

That emotion was evident on the field all the way to the Championship.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Thanks Rammer!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
David
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:Just a reminder to those who are as happy as me about the re-signing of Mitchell.

I've got a feeling we'll be seeing a lot of "Mitchell" jerseys at BCP this year! :thup:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
joe kapp22
Legend

Anglophone wrote:I'm in shock. So incredibly happy! I never thought this would end up happening, especially after word of his signing with Miami broke.
New NFL rules limited his signing bonus to 75K..max, which is probably less then he'd make in BC, but with the risk of not making a nfl team.

Glad to have him back, huge piece to have, but think we will see another shake up to be able to keep some other guys.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Now if we can get Solomon Elimimian to sign on the dotted line........