Lions re-sign Mitchell, release Kornegay

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

korey&dante4ever wrote:Unbelievable news signing Khalif Mitchell!!.. Fantastic!

Tad Kornegay just had some tweets:

"Take it easy twitter fam. This was set in my contract the first day I sign. My intentions as well ask Coach Bene is to be in BC."

"Just a Procedure that had to be upheld cause it was in writing. Now it does make me open to other teams but I plan to be Lion."

"But I must say....I am business man. Lol. I love money that makes me financially comfortable. Lol"

So he's basically a free agent, but plans/wants to be back in B.C.
Why didn't this come from the Lions? Esks did some cuts but fully explained why Barnes left and how they want to get him back and that one of three others could be signed again.

Wow...Mitchell's decision is great for BC but his ex agents don't like it:
Former agents surprised all-star Khalif Mitchell re-signs with Lions

By Mike Beamish, Vancouver Sun January 16, 2012 8:13 PM

The decision by the 26-year-old All-CFL defensive tackle led to an acrimonious split between Mitchell and the agent, the second time that has happened in the past month. On Dec. 18, Mitchell also terminated a relationship with his previous agent, Andrew Bondarowicz, who had arranged tryouts with the Dolphins, Minnesota Vikings and Philadelphia Eagles.

Mitchell was also slated to work out for Houston Texans a week ago, but the offer was pulled after Mitchell dumped Canter and struck out on his own. He then contacted the Lions last Thursday and expressed his desire to return to the CFL.

“Khalif turned down a multi-year contract with almost 95k in virtually guaranteed money with the Dolphins in order to take less and go back to the CFL,” Canter told the Vancouver Sun, in an e-mail. “I disagreed with both his decision-making process, his refusal to listen to his advisors, and how he handled the situation. And, thus, I terminated my contractual and agent relationship with Khalif.”

(Numerous attempts by the Vancouver Sun to reach Mitchell through phone and e-mail over the past couple of weeks have proven unsuccessful).
Ullrich has some stuff on Kornegay:
Timing might be a Tad off

Word of the Kornegay release first surfaced on the weekend but it was unclear whether the Lions were simply trying to avoid a roster bonus, which is why it did not appear instantly on your favourite blog. A day later, it still isn’t clear whether Kornegay will be back either at any price.

He went immediately to his Twitter account to tell followers he wants to be back. But its not certain whether the Lions feel precisely the same way. Keep in mind there are at least four starters on the Edmonton defence run last year by defensive coordinator Rich Stubler that are about to come on the free agent market in a month, not to mention a couple more who spent time with the Lions new defensive play-caller when he was with the Toronto Argonauts.
http://www.cflblogzone.com/2012/01/timi ... a-tad-off/

He has other info. in that blog too on about non signings so far.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I don't recall an action packed off season like this in recent memory. LOL

Lots of fun.

And free agency just around the corner.

And, Oh Yeah, the CFL draft to follow. Cool, very cool.

On reflection, this has been one of the most satisfying seasons for a Lions' fan ever. :thup:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Mitchell is an emotional guy and certainly marches to the beat of his own drum. I can see why he didn't fit in the NFL the first time around. Agents and personnel guys will probably be even more leery of him after this offseason. Still, I believe him when he tears up and says the Lions are his family. The players and fans love him for who he is, and as long as Randy Melvin can keep him focused on football, he has a chance to build a good future in the CFL and in the community.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

And lest we forget, here is an excellent video with Khalif talking about what music means to him, as a self taught pianist. Also very emotional and inspirational. :thup:

If I had seen this when I was a kid, I would have stayed with those piano lessons instead of going outside to play baseball and football. LOL Or at least done both, the sports and the piano.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Thanks for that info Toppy...

JK22, do you think (as I do) that the Lions may back off of resigning Hunt now that Mitchell has resigned...we would go with Taylor inside and have Melvin work with practise roster players Daryl White and James Bryant, of whom the Lions are quite high on both???

Plus, it will be interesting to see how the Leos handle the Kornegay situationa...he and Phillips solidified the wide side and did a great job, once they got settled in...it would be nice to have them both back, but Stubler may feel that we can be as good, with younger, cheaper players that will soon come available...

As WCJ said, it has been a great and very interesting offseason thus far...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
SammyGreene
Team Captain

MexicoLionFan wrote:Thanks for that info Toppy...

JK22, do you think (as I do) that the Lions may back off of resigning Hunt now that Mitchell has resigned...we would go with Taylor inside and have Melvin work with practise roster players Daryl White and James Bryant, of whom the Lions are quite high on both???
I do MLF! At least the urgency level to re-sign him just dropped a couple of notches. Hunt has a good resume and wont come cheaply. Taylor I believe is around the $75,000 range but it would have taken much more than that for Mitchell to stay.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Khali ... story.html

From the article by Lowell Ullrich ...
Mitchell, who e-mailed The Province twice to state no deal had been done, emphatically backed up his disdain for the NFL upon joining the Lions two seasons ago. The NFL can keep its money, the 26-year-old said, until he's good and ready to give it another try.

"I didn't sign in the NFL because I actually had the power to say I don't want to come right now," Mitchell explained from his home in Virginia Beach, Va. "If you're looking at life through your bank accounts you'll never find peace.

"I was all ready to sign, but then I had all these feelings and emotions. I really didn't feel right. The NFL was selling me purely on their brand. 'You're going to like it because everyone else likes it.' I told [Miami] your money doesn't mean anything to me."
LOL ... Hey NFL, Take your money, your brand, your arrogance, and stow them in ... a locker. Khalif said no.

And Korey is the right guy to ask for advice. It could be Korey's first work as an agent. Unpaid however.

All good. Many, many more details to be taken care of, but ya gotta like how things are shaping up. :thup:
Hutch85
All Star

WestCoastJoe wrote:http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Khali ... story.html

From the article by Lowell Ullrich ...
"I was all ready to sign, but then I had all these feelings and emotions. I really didn't feel right. The NFL was selling me purely on their brand. 'You're going to like it because everyone else likes it.' I told [Miami] your money doesn't mean anything to me."
While I can 't speak for Khalif, sometimes you just have to listen to your gut/intuition/whatever. There are more important things than just money, and I respect him for doing what *he* wants instead of solely what other parties want.

Glad to see you remain a Lion, Khalif!
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

After how he comported himself after the Grey Cup win, and all the games leading up to it, I was convinced of my next jersey purchase. Then he went to the NFL, told them to FO, and came back. How can I NOT get it?
Real women wear orange!!
David
Team Captain

Khalif at his press conference this morning.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Anglophone
All Star

CatsEyes wrote:After how he comported himself after the Grey Cup win, and all the games leading up to it, I was convinced of my next jersey purchase. Then he went to the NFL, told them to FO, and came back. How can I NOT get it?
Agreed, completely! Many people say "Money isn't everything" but Khalif walks the walk.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Mixed feelings on these new developments.

Where I am elated that the Lions were able to resign Khalif Mitchell, who has all the intensity and passion of a Cameron Wake, is a treat to watch in action and word, is diminished severely by the loss of Tad Kornegay who is a deep wound and cuts to the quick, as the loss of IMHO the best cover guy in the league.

This loss will surely be felt acutely in our defensive backfield.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis